50 – The Haunted Mountain Streams – I
2.6k 3 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a tense atmosphere, a chaotic uproar as people vied for my attention despite Professor Euclid's stern gaze, and Ren being held down by ten different girls, the partner assignment ended.

The result?

Well, obviously I was going with Celes. While everyone else was fighting, she literally swept me off my feet and maneuvered her way through the chaos to sign us up.

...I was a bit upset that I couldn't be the one to sweep her off her feet, but I'd call it even for having saved her life. Not to mention that it felt good to have a small moment of tranquility for once.

The surprising parts were the other pairings.

Apparently, Yui ended up grabbing Cici in the big fight and signed up with her.

As for Ren...

Well, he was going solo.

Apparently, with Cici joining the class we had an odd number. And because of that, someone had to sit out. And the class seemed to have collectively decided that person was Ren.

Not that it mattered much. That guy didn't need a partner to survive mountain hiking. After all, if he could survive having Akane as a big sister and being dragged along with her crazy adventures when she was younger, he would be fine going on a mountain hike by himself.

And like that, the logistics for the mountain hiking trip were settled.

Then, almost in the blink of an eye, it was time for said mountain hiking trip.

"Hm." Celes adjusted her backpack and said, "The air here seems a bit thin compared to my homeland even though we're in nature."

"Really?" I double-checked my bag to make sure I had my emergency rations and then swung it back over my shoulders. "I would have thought it'd be the other way around."

Celes nodded and said, "I agree. The Orient has always been called a land of mystique, so I expected its mountains to be misty and filled with spiritual energy. But this..."

I took a look around and said, "Yeah, well... I guess it's the inevitable result of humanity's expansion?"

It was a mountain hiking trip. Supposedly to get in touch with nature. But despite that mission, the current surroundings were kind of...

A perfectly paved road going up and down the mountain. Rest areas on either end. Park benches and perfectly manicured flower beds.

Celes looked around with disappointment and said, "How sad. It seems that more and more of the natural world is being destroyed for humanity's greed..."

I shrugged and said, "At the same time, we get cool things like the internet, so it's not that big of a deal, right?" I paused and then said, "...You aren't some like Green Deal environmentalist advocate, are you Celes? Not that I'd like you any less if you were, but, uh..."

Celes blinked and said, "Environmentalist? Of course not. The world is meant for humanity to conquer, not preserve. But I was still hoping that there were some small portions of nature left... A pity."

Uh. Help-chan. Celes... isn't a yandere, right?

[Help: Of course not, Mister Sen! She's mentally stable and mature!]

Right. Of course she's not a yandere-

[Help: I think Miss Celes does have a bit of a different world view though. Don't forget that she's still a princess!]

Right. She's a princess from the UK. People like that looked at the world a bit differently-

Wait.

...That's not going to be a problem later, is it?

I'd forgotten about it in the midst of everything else, but the fact that Celes chose me to be her boyfriend when she's a princess, and the fact that she's hiding out with me in Japan...

...Won't it look like I eloped with a princess?!

[Help: Don't worry, Mister Sen! Your dad already took care of all the paperwork and assassins!]

Oh good. Then I don't-

Wait.

Hold on. I think you just glossed over something-

"Yo, Kimura-san!" Ren ran up from behind and then draped his arm over my shoulders, giving me a big thumbsup. "Good news! I lost Onee-chan!"

I brushed off his arm and said, "How is that good news? Won't she just be annoyed later and smack you around again?"

"Meh." Ren shrugged and said, "I'm going to get smacked around when Mom gets back on Sunday anyway." He looked around and said, "Where's Cici and Yui? Weren't they with you guys?"

I rolled my eyes and said, "They were going off on their own to give me and Celes some privacy. Unlike a certain blockhead who ran over here."

Ren frowned and then smacked his fist into his palm. "And which idiot is breaking up my best friend's date?"

"..."

Celes giggled and then said, "You're adorable, Ren. As sharp as a training sword, but adorable."

"Hey." Ren frowned and said, "I might miss some things, but I'm not dull, Celes."

"Oh. In that case, as sharp as a rusted blade."

Ren's frown deepened.

I shook my head and started shooing him away. "Could you give me and Celes some privacy? Honestly, we just managed to sneak away from everyone else..."

Like Dad suggested, I was clinging onto Celes for dear life to fend off everyone else. But I also wanted to spend some time together on a proper date.

I mean, I'd been with Celes for a while now, but we didn't really know much about each other. Not to mention the whole dynamic at first was a bit wonky, so I wanted to fix that up. Properly get to know each other and stuff.

But that wasn't happening with this blockhead here.

"Oh. Right. I can do that... But there was something else I was supposed to tell you..." Ren mumbled and rubbed his chin.

"Well." I pulled Celes close and said, "If you don't remember it, then it must not be very important. So if you'll excuse us..."

Celes blushed and leaned against me. She glanced back at Ren for a moment and said, "P-Pardon us, Ren."

"Don't bother with that guy, Celes. He's the reason I've got a weird reputation anyway... Now, I think the guidebook said there was a river nearby..."

xxx

Ren watched his childhood friend walk away with Celes and frowned. "...There really was something important I was supposed to tell them though...?"

It wasn't from their Professors. The whole point of the trip was for everyone to get in touch with nature for themselves, so the only real guidance they had was to not die.

Professor Euclid especially emphasized that. Along with the fact that if he had to fill out a missing or deceased student report then he would bend time and space itself to make them regret causing him such grief.

...Ren still wasn't sure if that was a bluff considering the fact that Professor Euclid seemed to be able to use at least some sort of time distortion ability from how long math class was.

But anyway, it wasn't a warning from the Professors or anything. Instead...

Ren snapped his fingers and said, "Right! There were sightings of bears and mountain lions around!"

Nee-chan mentioned that she saw them while habitually looking for hidden pieces and spaces.

Ren stared at the shrinking figures of Sen and Celes in the distance and rubbed his chin. "...Should I tell them?"

It was pretty dangerous. Then again...

Ren remembered how strong Sen had gotten. And then he also remembered how Celes was definitely a swordmaster who was hiding her abilities to act cute for Sen.

"...Nah. It'll be fine."

Ren shrugged and then pulled out his phone, walking back towards the main path. "Let's see... Did Kuroi-sensei upload another video? ...Nice! She did! And today's subject... S.A.S. triangles? ...Wait. They weren't A.S.S. triangles...?"

xxx

A patch of forest far from the main path through the mountains. There, Cici grumbled as she trudged through the trees, holding out a tablet in front of her. "Stupid kouhai and stupid Sennie. Ignoring me again when I just wanted to hang out. It's not even that bad. I mean, if I *really* wanted to go all hornie, I'd be drawing lewds all day long or jump them in the shower. But just a little bit of flirting and *NO*. Bonk for you. Tch."

Yui brushed a branch out of the way and then glanced over at Cici. "Um. Are you sure that you're fine, Cici?"

"I'm perfectly fine! Not as fine as you, Miss Hot, Sexy, and questionably Bi Student Prez, but I'm fine!"

"...Oookay?" Yui took a look around and said, "And why did you walk all the way out here again? It's dangerous to be away from the main group."

Cici rolled her eyes and said, "I'll be fine. And if you're so worried, why are you following me?"

"Because Sen would be mad if his sister got hurt. And as the Class Leader as well as your partner for the field trip, I'm obligated to make sure you're fine."

"Hmph. Ironic considering from the girl who almost got assassinated the other day."

Yui nodded. "And that's why I'm following you." She frowned and said, "Apparently, a lot of other students have been getting involved with incidents too. There were reports of attempted kidnappings, robberies, blackmail..."

"Blah, blah, blah." Cici waved her hand and said, "If you're following me, could you just be quiet? I want to take in the surroundings for a bit."

"...Fine. Then..." Yui looked around and said, "I'll start setting up camp. Is that alright with you?"

"Sure." Cici plopped herself down on a fallen log and started sketching on her tablet. "Don't run into a bad end while I'm not looking. Pretty girls like you don't just die, you know~?"

"...I'm beginning to see why Sen gets annoyed with you so much."

"Love you too, Prezzie."

Yui sighed and then started walking around, breaking branches and clearing some brush away.

As she did that, Cici held her tablet up to take a panorama picture. Since she was starting up her indie artist career, having background references were important so-

'Eh?'

Cici blinked and then waved Yui over. "Hey, Prezzie."

Yui sighed and walked over. "What is it, Cici?"

Cici pointed at her tablet and said, "Do you see this?"

"Hm?"

A picture of empty trees. That was what it looked like. But when you looked closer...

"Wait." Yui tilted her head and said, "Did you do the panorama picture right?"

Cici rolled her eyes. "I'm not stupid. Of course I did."

"Then..." Yui frowned.

It was a blur. Something faint and white peeking out from behind the trees in the distance.

"...I-It's just a glitch, right?"

"...Maybe?" Cici frowned and raised her tablet up to take another picture.

And when she did...

A pale face staring right into the camera. Hollow pits where the eyes should be. Distorted static that made it looked like the face was stretched out.

Cici paled.

Yui opened her mouth to scream. And then...

"Found you."

A pair of cold hands clapped onto Cici's left shoulder and Yui's right.

...Yeah, I dunno where this is going. But it's too late to hop off the crazy train, hahaha... :sweat:

38