51 – The Haunted Mountain Streams – II
1.4k 18 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A rush of cold wind from behind.

I shivered and took a look back to see what it was.

We were in the middle of summer, so it was definitely too early for a breeze that cold…

“Is something wrong, Sen?” Celes tilted her head to look at me and then followed my gaze. “Is someone following us?”

“...I don’t think so? But something feels weird.” I frowned and took a closer look around.

We had walked deeper into the forest to get some privacy. Not for anything intimate.

W-We weren’t planning on having a secret rendezvous or anything. It was just to get away from the annoying classmates.

Ahem.

Anyway, we were deep in the forest now, and most traces of civilization were wiped out. There was still a faint trail that we were following, but since Celes insisted on doing some ‘adventuring’ since she never got a chance beforehand, we were really in the thick of nature.

Which meant that there shouldn’t have been anyone around following us. But…

A faint chill from behind. Different from the wind, but more pointed. Almost like icicles pressing on the back of my neck.

I flinched and spun around to look, only to find empty trees.

Celes turned to look as well and narrowed her eyes. “...I do not see any nature spirits or people. But this presence…”

I let out a nervous laugh and said, “M-Maybe we’re just too used to having people staring at us, Celes?”

After all, it wasn’t like there was a ghost or anything, right? Those aren’t real.

[Help: But ghosts exist, Mister Sen…]

?!?!?!?

W-What do you mean ghosts exist!?

[Help: Beings who die filled with resentment or a strong obsession have a chance to become earthbound spirits. This is especially likely in areas with strong natural auras or feng shui, just like where you are now.]

That’s-

Before I could finish that thought, Celes pushed me back and stood in front of me, her gaze sharp.

“Celes?”

“Something is here.”

“S-S-Something?”

I gulped and swept my gaze around.

T-There couldn’t be a ghost here, right? I mean, sure there were stories about people committing suicides in the forests, but n-not here. R-Right?

Celes glanced at me and let out a warm smile. “Rest assured, Sen. So long as I am here, nothing will harm you.”

“I-I’m the one who’s supposed to be saying that-“

*CRACK*

“KYAAAAAAA!”

I flinched and instinctively jumped. Then before I knew it, I was in Celes’s arms, held close against her chest.

[CG: <The Real Princess> has been saved.]

I felt my face burn up when I read that message and then cleared my throat. Glancing up at Celes, I said, “S-Sorry. You can let me down now, Celes.”

“No. Hold on tight.”

“H-Huh?”

[Help: E-Eh? An urgent mission?]

[Urgent Mission: Escape from the wicked spirit!]

Success: ???

Failure: ???

WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!

Before I could question it further, the surroundings turned into a blur as Celes broke out into a sprint.

xxx

It was dark. Beneath the forest canopy, only shadows and darkness could be seen. The only breaks in the darkness were the few glimpses of sunlight that peeked through the canopy when the wind blew.

That was where she emerged. Marking her territory, she gradually spread out the perimeter while claiming new terrain.

That was where she saw them. A pair of ignorant girls playing around without a care in the world in the middle of the dangerous forest where no one would notice them disappearing.

So she taught them a lesson. Rushing out from the darkness, she grabbed the girls and pulled them back into the darkness, stifling their screams with ragged clothing.

After that, she roamed around some more to see if there were other ignorant children wandering around.

Then she saw them. A lovely couple strolling around without a care in the world. Not only just a couple, but a couple that included ‘him’.

And when she saw that…

‘It isn’t fair.’

…She decided to grab ‘him’ for herself.

xxx

[????? is in hot pursuit!]

[????? is enraged at the loveydovey atmosphere between you and Celes!]

[????? is determined to take you for herself!]

Seeing the flurry of messages pop up in front of me, I shivered and hugged Celes a bit tighter.

Then I felt something squishy against my face and flinched, feeling my face heat up.

Thankfully, Celes didn’t seem to notice, too focused on our surroundings.

Seeing her serious gaze, I tried to focus as well. “D-Do you see what’s chasing us?”

“I do not. But I can sense that whatever is in pursuit is immensely malevolent.”

“R-Right…”

Dang it! Why are you so scared, me? It’s probably not even a real-

A pale white face, just in front of my own.

Spoiler

[collapse]

“KYAAAAAAAA!” I threw away my pride and hugged Celes tight. “Celes, Celes! Run! Faster!”

Celes glanced back with a serious look and then jumped, doing a perfect spinning roundhouse kick.

The ghost lady vanished, dissolving into white mist.

Celes landed with a frown before quickly going back to sprinting away. “A spirit?”

[Help: Oh! It looks like Miss Ghost can be recruited!]

I DON’T WANNA RECRUIT SOMEONE THAT SCARY!

[Help: Um. Mister Sen? Why are you scared of someone dead when you’ve already died once?]

GHOSTS ARE SCARY OKAY?!

[Help: ???]

“Do not worry, Sen. I have faced earthbound spirits before. Granted, I had a holy sword with me at the time to exorcise them… Regardless, there should be no issues in simply escaping.” Celes paused and then said, “…So long as we do not get lost. But… Which way did we arrive from again?”

“Oh god. I’m gonna die. I’m totally gonna die again.”

[Help: You won’t, Mister Sen! And Miss Ghost isn’t that scary, really!]

*I. FOUND. YOU.*

!?@#?!@?#!@?#!@$

[Help: Mister Sen?! W-Wait! Don’t-]

xxx

Celes glanced down at Sen and then pursed her lips. Her beloved had fainted, eyes rolling up in his head while clinging onto her for dear life.

Seeing that made her irritated, especially seeing what was chasing them.

“A mere earthbound spirit…!”

Was it a woman scorned by her lover who took her own life? A maiden who got lost and suffered an untimely demise? Whatever the case, it was just a simple spirit.

…Which confused Celes a bit. She was under the impression that her beloved was a goddess as well, so something of this caliber should be of no concern. Then again, her beloved was currently a delicate and slight young man, so perhaps lacked divine powers?

It was something that was both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because Celes was happy to be able to protect her beloved from harm and be relied upon. But it was a bit of a curse because she would have liked being protected from time to time as well…

Regardless.

Celes glanced back at their pursuer and muttered, “Should I simply fight it off?”

Spoiler

[collapse]

A young woman with blurred facial features. Wearing a white burial shroud and with trailing dark hair, it looked like a wraith or banshee. However, Celes was certain that wasn’t the case.

She had fought plenty while qualifying to wield her sacred sword and securing her right to the throne, and the entity pursuing them lacked the dreadful strength characteristic of those beings. Although she had to admit that the malevolence she felt was a bit above the ones she faced in the past…

Was it because of her beloved?

Celes glanced down at Sen and took a look.

A lovely and beautiful face that could be mistaken for a young maiden’s. Slight and frail limbs that concealed hidden strength. A charming and innocent aura that drew in every onlooker as well as a pleasant aroma…

Celes wrinkled her nose and then muttered, “To think that my rivals number the dead as well…”

Still, she had chosen this path. And since her beloved trusted her so much, she would see it through to the end, even if it meant facing off against the whole world… and underworld.

Speaking of which.

Celes stomped on the ground, coming to a sudden stop in front of a cave blocked off with ropes. Quickly placing Sen on the ground, she spun around and raised her fists, channeling her sacred magic.

It was faint. She didn’t have much to use since this world lacked mana, but it was more than enough to teach a lesson to that uppity spirit trying to steal her man.

A chilling breeze swept through the area, followed by the sound of rustling leaves.

Celes narrowed her eyes and roused her senses, searching for their pursuer.

And then a white blur shot out from behind the trees right at Sen.

Celes moved to intercept, swinging her arms. And then-

“Hm? You’re Sennie’s girlfriend, right?”

Celes blinked, stopping her attack.

A familiar woman with a trained body, light brown hair tied in a ponytail…

“…Miss Akane?”

31