Book 3 Chapter 1
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jon relaxed as he watched the sun rise out of the water from the crow’s nest. Helping to get Mercy home was hard, but in a way, he was glad about doing it. It would have been hard without him.

Maybe Mercy, Hector, and Mallory would have managed when they met Tallow. She did handle most of the fighting back in the tavern.

But anyways, he was glad to help. Even if they could handle it without him, Jon was glad to be there for them. If they were gonna be in any trouble, he would be glad to be there with them.

He could still see Hector and Mercy standing below him.

“Land ho!!!”” Tallow called from her position on top of the mast.

She flipped over the side of the crow’s nest and hooked on to the bottom part of the mast with her claws, sliding down to the deck.

Jon looked at the shore, which he had forgotten to observe. All he saw now was the approaching dock.

He decided to climb back down onto the deck. Tallow had disappeared, presumably to get Mallory from below deck.

Jon approached Hector and Mercy, who turned towards him.

“Jon! Good morning! I hope you’ve had a good sleep,” Hector said.

“He was awake the whole time,” Mercy said. “He was watching us from up there the entire time?”

“He was?” Hector seemed surprised. “Oh wow. I guess you do have superior awareness skills.”

“I’m sorry that I wasn’t prepared yesterday,” Mercy said. “That was unbecoming of me.”

“It’s fine,” Hector said. “Honestly, I can understand the sense of treachery you could feel from your father for…”

“Yeah…” Mercy said. “So I’ve been told.”

She patted Hector on the arm. He turned to Jon while brushing off her hand.

“I was going to tell you that the ship was getting ready to dock.”

“We’re home!” Mallory said. He walked to the rest of the group with his arms raised up high and Tallow behind him.

“Sure,” Hector said. “Home.

He led the group off the boat, which had just docked.

“We’re not exactly home. We still have a-ways. It’s not safe yet.”

“Safe? We’re in territory!” Mallory said. “Even if we get attacked-”

Don’t jinx it!” Hector said.

They followed him to the back end of the boat, which was being unloaded.

They waited until the familiar wagon was brought off the boat, someone leading the horses by their reins.

“You put that entire thing on the boat?” Tallow asked.

“Yeah, we did it early,” Hector said. “Why do you think I was trying to get on the boat before it left?”

Tallow sighed.

They were on the wagon before long. Hector and Mallory took their seats at the front like usual.

Tallow, Mercy, and Jon sat in the back.

“We’ll be home before long, won’t we?” Tallow asked.

“...Yeah… I guess,” Mercy said. “Then this can all be over.”

“Shame,’ Tallow said. “This was fun while it lasted.”

“Yeah…” Mercy grimaced. She grabbed Jon’s hand. He held on.

Tallow made notice of them, then caught Jon’s eye.

Jon thought she was going to say something, but she didn’t.

I’m leaving Mercy soon… That was all Jon could think about. He supposed if he did his job, and did it correctly, then she would be safe.

Then he would be left with Hector and Mallory. Then Tallow would also have to go home, but he was going to meet with Hector’s sister, right?

Jon decided not to think about it anymore and take in the moment.

The town they had landed in looked like the port town, but more trees. Jon had expected to travel through another forest, so he was stunned when the wagon flew out of the forest into a wide grassy plain full of hills.

“Whoa…” Jon whispered. The road continued like normal, but Jon could see nearly endless amounts of land there was, with nothing stopping them.

He did notice a castle in the distance. His brother, Ben, had told him about castles. He even showed him some of the sketches he had made while he talked about it. Jon didn’t think much of it. But now, Jon wished that he could tell Ben about what he was seeing now.

As they went on, the hills eventually began to smooth out. Already, Jon could see something heading towards them. It looked as if it was a carriage, much like the first carriage Hector and Mallory had driven.

When it got closer, Jon could see that it wasn’t a carriage, but there was certainly a whole bunch of horses.

On top of the horses, he saw knights with impressively large armor.

Hector turned back to the rest of the wagon.

“This should be normal,” Hector said. “I mean, this isn’t normal, but this should be normal-”

“Hector,” Mallory tapped Hector on the shoulder. “They’re right behind you.”

Hector turned and saw the 5 knights standing in front of the wagon.

“Oh, hi. I mean, I’m here representing the King’s Guard. Me and my friends-”

“Is that Hector?” The knight raised his visor. ‘Hector!”

“Avery! Oh.” Hector seemed unsure of himself. “You’re a knight, now?”

“Yeah, I know, rad, right?” Avery nodded with a large grin. “I recognize the horses… but you’re riding a giant… wagon… Where’s the carriage?”

“Uhh… it got destroyed,” Hector answered. “And I needed space to carry the others.”

He pointed towards the back. Avery peered over at the back of the wagon.

“You guys are always looking like a curious bunch,” Avery said. “And did you get a whole bunch of new members?”

“No, I mean, yeah, I mean… uh... It’s complicated,” Hector seemed uncomfortable.

“King’s guard stuff, right?” Avery noted.

“...Yeah. King’s Guard stuff,’ Hector seemed satisfied with his own answer. “Why are we being met with knights?”

“Your sister told the castle about all that jazz that’s been happening over in the otherlands. You know, with the dangerous people and stuff.”

“I know...stuff…” Hector took time to compose himself. ‘I’m glad things are looking well!”

“Yeah! You guys are cool. You King’s Guard people are always looking weird. Like someone took an apple, and orange, a strawberry-”

“Avery, I get the-”

“...A kiwi, and a dragonfruit. and put them in the basket.” Avery finished. "You're the dragonfruit, ya know?"

“And just who is the strawberry?” Tallow called from the back.

“Ah, she's the dragonfruit." Avery leaned in towards Hector. "You know Amalia’s been worrying about you."

“Yeah… well…" Hector looked around awkwardly. "I don’t know. I’ll see her anyway. Right now I have-”

“Important package. I know. We’re supposed to vet you. You know, for purposes. We have to look good for the others around the castle.”

Avery turned to the other knights. “This carriage has been thoroughly vetted, right?”

The other knights silently nodded in approval.

“Alright, then. We’ll escort ya to the castle. Hope ya been doing well, Mallory.”

“You too, Ave,” Mallory responded with a small wave.

“Shall we?” Avery pulled the visor back down and motioned to his horse to turn around.

The other horses surrounded the carriage in formation. Jon saw the horse standing so close to the wagon that he wanted to reach out and touch it. He didn't know if that was rude, though, so he didn’t.

“And on we ride!” Avery cried.

“And on we yeah, yeah,” Hector muttered. The carriage pulled off with its entourage.

They approached a long wall with a gate in the middle. However, the gate immediately opened, and the carriage went through without stopping.

“It’s Hector!” One of the knights on the wall said quickly as they passed under him.

“Boy, you’re popular,” Tallow said.

“I’m not popular!” Hector screamed from the front without bothering to turn around.

Tallow didn't say anymore, but she had a smug look on her face.

The wagon eventually stopped in front of the large castle.

“...wow,” Jon said. It was brown.

“Alrightie!” Avery approached them again. “Now it’s time for you to meet the King!”

Why is the King coming out to meet me?” Hector asked. “Does he even know I’m here?”

“Yeah, he does. We could recognize the red hair from a distance.”

What?” Hector sighed. “I’m not even… prepared.

“It’s fine,’ Avery said. “Everyone knows you’re the King’s favorite.”

Hector seemed flustered. “It doesn’t mean-”

“Hector!” The voice made Hector shake in his seat. “You’re back!”

A short man in a long robe that draped behind him wandered out of the front of the castle. He waved to Hector.

“Ahh….” Hector looked like he tried to hide behind his forearms.

“Are you alright, Hector?” Tallow asked. “Is it hard being the king’s favorite?

“Shut up!” Hector yelled. “You have no idea how much the burden of the phrase-”

“Hector! Come down here! You know I can’t reach!”

“You can’t keep the King waiting, Hector,” Mallory said.

“You can’t keep him waiting,” Tallow mocked.

Hector growled, but he couldn’t answer what he wanted to.

“Uhh… King… Harris…” Hector looked down to the short, wide man.

The King motioned to Hector. “Come on down! Show my knights what an example you are!”

Hector mumbled some more words, but he slowly climbed down the horses.

The king had several soldiers around him who backed away to make room for Hector to climb down and approach the king.

“King Harris… to what do I owe the honor?” Hector didn’t sound too excited. Jon was starting to understand that Hector didn’t like having so much attention.

“I’m here to welcome you, of course!” Harris said.

“Surely you must have… King business…” Hector responded.

“Nonsense! You should be here to tell me everything that’s happened.”

“That’s the king?” Tallow whispered in the wagon. “He’s… a bit small on the scale.”

“Hey, you try to get exercise when your job means you sit in the same three chairs telling people what to do all the time,” Mallory whispered to the back of the wagon.

“Oh, the burden,” Tallow said sarcastically.

Jon was beginning to enjoy Tallow’s remarks. It was like watching a performer at work.

“Bring your friends down!” Harris said. “I can set up dinner! You all can rest inside!”

Hector turned to the others with what looked like a cry for help. Jon never saw Hector look like he wanted help before.

“That’s our cue,” Mallory said.

The four of them climbed out of their respective spots on the carriage and came to Hector’s side.

“Harris’s castle is always open to the restitution of the King’s Guard!” Harris said. “Due to the great work of Hector, his father, and his sister, we’re one of the safest territories on this side of the mountain. On every side of the mountain.”

“I mean, you do have an army…” Hector started to say.

“We’re honored to be here,” Mercy said. She gave a small bow.

“Whoa-ho-ho! We have some class here,” Harris said. “And who might you be?”

“I…”

“She’s our package,” Hector said quickly. “The Highlander.”

Harris’s eyes widened. “She’s a Highlander?”

The other guards surrounding them brought up their spears into their hands.

“Uhh… uhh…” Hector suddenly grew a large smile on his face. “Yeah! She’s a Highlander.”

“Oh… uh… You could come into the castle, and the guards could escort you…” Harris began.

“I think it’s fine,” Hector responded. “In fact…”

He wrapped his arm around Mercy’s shoulder. “She could probably kill you now! Only standing a few feet in front of you.”

The spearmen now all pointed their spears at Mercy.

“But she won’t! Cause she’s a nice ninja,” Hector said. “You should get to know her.”

He edged Mercy closer to Harris, but he took a few steps back.

“In fact, because she is so dangerous,” Hector continued, “I should be the one to bring her in. She’s super dangerous. I’m not sure anyone here can-”

“Yes! Hector! You bring her into her resting quarters! All of you! And then you can come to me and we talk shop! Good day!” The King turned and started the walk away.

“Hi, Harris!” Mallory waived.

“Oh… uh, hi Mallory.” With that, Harris continued away with his entourage of guards back into the castle.

“You can find your way in the castle, right?” Avery asked. “Or do we have to watch the Highlander?”

“I’m fine,” Hector said. He was back to his normal grumpy-sounding demeanor.

“Oh, wait,” Avery added. “You’re not able to see my eyebrows.”

He raised the visor. His right eyebrow was removing up and down at an incredible pace.

“Be careful of getting the princess jealous.”

What?” Hector then noticed that he still had his arm around Mercy’s shoulder. She was giving him a concerned look.

“No!” He withdrew his hand. “You’re free to go.”

“Alright. See you in the barracks!” Avery closed his visors. He and his group of horsemen left as well.

Hector turned around to the others. “Sorry about that.”

“You are popular,” Tallow insisted, crossing her arms.

“Yeah, Hector,” Mercy added, still showing concern on her face. “Popular.”

“They don’t know me like you guys know me,” Hector responded. “Wait, in fact, you guys don’t know me either. Except Mallory.”

“The King is always like that,” Mallory explained. “Hector’s father and the King-”

“Moving on!” Hector said. “Let’s just get inside-”

“Hector!” This yell was louder than the King’s voice. It also belonged to a woman.

Hector also seemed bothered by this voice. Even more than the King’s.

“Ah brother,” Hector said. He turned. “Amalia- ah!”

He received a hard kick to the shin, which caused him to fall to the ground and hold his leg in pain.

“You bastard!” His assaulter was a girl in a simple pink cloth dress with long red hair that came all the way down past her waist. She also wore a small gold crown on her head.

“Hi, girl!” Mallory said.

“Mallory!” She gave him a hug. “How are you?”

“The question is, how are you?” They pulled apart and held each other’s hands.

“Uh, you just kicked our Hector in the shin,” Tallow said to her. “You want to, like, explain that?”

“Hector didn’t tell me when he was leaving,” Amalia said. “He just rode off with Mallory and the others!”

“I told you the day before!” Hector said from the floor.

“You’re supposed to tell me the day of. Agh!” She crossed her arms. “I can’t believe you.”

“...I can’t believe you exist.”

What?” Amalia gave Hector another dirty look.

“I said I can’t believe this is happening!” He stood back up. “I was busy.

Amalia sighed. “Whatever. I’m just happy to see you.”

“Fine…” Amalia then gave Hector a hug. Hector groaned as he put an arm around her.

“Are you going to introduce me to your friends?” she asked when they broke apart.

“Uhh, yeah… this is Jon…” Hector gestured to Jon.

Jon waved, but Amalia grabbed his hand with both hands.

“It’s nice to meet you, Jon,” she said. She bowed.

Jon was surprised. Her hands were cool, compared to Mercy’s. Maybe it was because she lived in a castle.

“That’s Tallow.”

Amalia went to her. “A foreigner! It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“A pleasure to meet you, uh, princess?” Tallow asked.

“What gave it away?” Amalia asked.

“I just assumed, you know. Seems like that’s what everyone is doing nowadays.”

Amalia moved on to Mercy, seemingly not getting Tallow’s sarcasm.

You’re the Highlander,” Amalia noted. “I guess it would make sense, seeing as you’re dressed in all black.”

“I’m the only one that’s dressed in all black,” Mercy said. “The color doesn't determine if you’re invisible or not.”

She held her hand out. Amalia shook it.

“I can imagine it’s hard, being the daughter of a King,” Mercy said.

“Most people think it’s easy,” Amalia responded. “Having to sit around and look pretty all day. And nothing else.”

“Hey, that’s why I ran away,” Mercy responded.

Amalia smiled. “Ahh… I see… you are important.”

“Not important… like you…” Mercy said.

Please,” Amalia waved the comment away. “We can talk about all the non-important business of a...…”

“Diplomat,” Mercy responded.

“It’s all the same,” Amalia said, giving Mercy a knowing look. She then wrapped her arm around Mercy’s.

“Let me show you around the castle,” she suggested.

“Uh, actually,” Hector began, “We should get everyone to the barracks and settle down, and-”

“No way, Hector! You can go put the carriage… carriage? Away!”

“But you have men to do that!” Hector complained.

“We’ll talk later. Come on, people.”

Mallory shrugged. “Sorry, Hect. You want me to stay behind?”

“...Yeah, actually,” Hector crossed his arms. “I think I need to talk. You guys go with Amalia.”

“If you wanted some time to make out, just say so,” Tallow responded.

“I… I don’t…”

“Trust me,” Amalia answered, “if Hector and Mallory made out, they’d be on their 15th child by now.”

“Oh, I kinda like this one,” Tallow said.

“Let’s go!” Amalia dragged Mercy ahead, with Tallow following along.

Jon turned back to Hector and Mallory.

“Can’t Jon stay?” Mallory asked.

“I don’t want him involved,” Hector said, staring Jon in the eyes.

Jon didn’t feel insulted. Hector just sounded tired.

“Ok, Hector,” Jon said. “Feel good.”

“...Yeah…” Hector responded. “I’ll see you in the castle.”

With that, they split apart, Hector and Mallory bringing the wagon away while Jon followed along after the girls.

 

0