Book 3: Chapter 2
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jon eventually caught up to the girls, who had just stepped within the large doors of the castle. Jon saw many fancily dressed people walk in and out as he passed by. It was way different than the farm, where everyone more or less wore the same types of clothes.

He felt the air shift as he stepped in. Already, he was in a large banquet hall. The ceiling rose higher than Jon ever saw. This was the biggest indoor place he had ever seen in his life.

Up ahead were rows and rows of long tables, leading up to the end where there were three chairs of different heights facing the rest of the room.

Jon quickly turned and saw that there was a large hallway leading elsewhere. The girls had just barely begun to walk in. Amalia had also found her arm around Tallow’s arm by now.

Jon caught up to them.

“This place is really big,” Mercy was saying. “This is probably the biggest place I’ve ever been in.”

“Do you not have such buildings in your home?” Amalia asked.

“Uhh… we have castles… but they’re not practical for holding a lot of people like this one is. We do most of our business outside.”

“And what about you?” Amalia asked Tallow.

“Ehh… They’re pretty big. Just not so many hallways…. Jeeze.”

“Oh, hi Jon!” Amalia said, stopping as she saw him approach. “That is your name, right?”

Jon nodded. “Yah.”

“What would you like to see first?” Amalia asked. “The baths? The royal bedrooms, the barracks?”

“The barracks.” Mercy nodded quickly. “Yeah. I want to see the barracks.”

“I could do with a bath,” Tallow said. “I’m pretty tired. And I wanna see how they compare.”

“We have the most amazing baths,” Amalia said. “I mean, there’s also a personal bath if you want.”

“So, Tallow can go to the baths, and I can go to the barracks.” Mercy nodded. “Sounds great.”

“Wanna come, Jon?” Tallow asked. “Let’s see how these baths-”

“Jon can’t come to the baths!” Mercy said quickly. “That’s…” she blushed.

Tallow had a puzzled look on her face, which slowly changed into a look of realization.

Oh. You guys are a couple of prudes over here, aren’t ya.” She chuckled. “Fine, keep your boyfriend with you.”

“He is not…. Agh!” Mercy stomped away.

“Umm... I’m not sure a Highlander should walk unattended in the hallways,” Amalia said. “Not for our sake, but my father-”

“She’ll be fine,” Tallow said. “Worst case scenario… she kills someone, right?” She shrugged.

Amalia turned to Jon and observed him closely. “What would you like to do?”

“...Eat,” Jon said. He was hungry, and they hadn’t eaten since the fight last night.

“Sure,” Amalia said. “Guess that means we’ll bring you to the barracks after all. What about Mercy?”

“I’m sure she’ll be fine,” Tallow responded. “She’s got a nose like a wolf. She’ll find us.”

“Alright, then. Hector should be there as well. He knows his way.”

Jon and Tallow followed Amalia through the hallways. They occasionally passed other people. Jon wondered where they were all going. They all seemed to have something important to do as they hurried to some unknown destination.

“How do you know where you’re going around here?” Tallow asked.

“Well,” Amalia explained, “it’s a big place, but everything is sectioned to different parts of the castle. So, even if you don’t know exactly what room you need, just knowing where things are is a good start.”

“Huh. Okay.” Tallow scanned the hallways. “I’m still gonna have to make my escape plan regardless…”

They made several turns until they went through a door that led to outside. Except, there was a large structure that stood on columns and blocked out the sky.

It led to another building, nowhere as large as the castle, but large nonetheless.

They walked over to the other building and went through the door.

Already, the quiet bustling of the outside was overwhelmed by the large collection of noises coming from inside.

“This is the barracks,” Amalia said. “It’s… where the soldiers all convene when they’re not on duty.

There were soldiers everywhere. Many of them weren’t wearing armor, yet they had their weapons aside with them. Many of them were talking and laughing and drinking from large mugs.

There were a ton of tables meant for several individuals, but many of the soldiers stood regardless. While the seats took up half of the building, the other was a mostly open space full of large circles on the floor.

In one of those circles, Mercy was wrestling with one of the soldiers. People were cheering from outside the circle.

Mercy and her opponent were leaning forward, pushing on each other’s shoulders. Eventually, Mercy kicked up, wrapping her legs around the man’s arm and neck.

There was a roar from the crowd as they both toppled over, Mercy holding the obvious advantage as the guy struggled for breath.

It wasn’t long before the guy took his free hand and slammed in repeatedly on the ground.

There was another loud cheer, this one more joyous.

“She found her way after all,” Tallow said. “Told you.”

Mercy had stood up while the others had gone up to her and congratulated her.

Mercy then walked up to the group.

“Hey guys,” she said, slightly out of breath. “How are you?”

“Do you have to get into a fight wherever you go?” Tallow asked.

“That’s my way of getting to know the local natives,” Mercy responded.

“Well, don’t try that with my father,” Amalia said. “He’ll die before he even hits the floor. Gods knows he needs exercise.”

“You know,” Mercy said, “when you grabbed my arms, I could tell that you were a fighter. You want to go a few rounds here?”

“Oh, me?” Amalia seemed stunned. “No way. Most of these guys are afraid to wrestle with me anyway, or train for a matter of fact. Nobody wants to be the one who accidentally injures the princess in combat.”

“Then with me, then,” Mercy said.

“...I’ll definitely lose,” Amalia answered. “I… don’t spend much time outside these walls.”

“I’ll go easy,” Mercy added.

“Not enough.” Amalia shook her head. “It’s okay. I should be attending to some business anyways. I-”

“What are you doing?” Hector yelled as he rushed towards them, leaving the group of soldiers who were talking to him. “Why are you getting into fights!”

“I didn’t get into fights,” Mercy said. “I was training with the soldiers, which was allowed.

“You don’t want everyone here to know who you are,” Hector whispered loudly.

“They don’t. As far as they know, I’m a mercenary who came along with you. Isn’t that enough?

Hector sighed. “Look. We’re just here for a day, alright. We break here, we make for the King’s Guard, and then we send you home.

“Hector, you’re about to burst a blood vessel,” Mallory said. He calmly approached Hector’s side. “It’s fine. You talked to your sister yet?”

“...No,” Hector said, his voice now tired. He lost the anger in his eyes. “I don’t want to talk to her right now. She’ll see me when she does.”

“Is she going to kick you in the shins, too?” Tallow asked.

“If she does that,” Mallory said, “his whole leg will probably go flying off. So no.”

Hector sighed. “Can I just, show you guys to your rooms?”

Hector looked at Amalia with a grimace.

“I can come with,” Amalia said. “Before I depart.”

“..Let’s go guys,” Hector said. He began to walk elsewhere in the barracks. Everyone else followed him in silence.

They walked out of the main hall into a new section, which was a long, single quiet hallway that extended both ways. Hector led the group until he opened the door.”

“All hail me, my servants!” There was a young boy who sat in a large chair in the center of the room, surrounded by two unarmored guards. He had a crown way too large for his head, which hung over one of his eyes, and held a scepter in his hand.

Really, Durrany? Why do you always take Father’s crowns? We have your size…”

“Be quiet, knave!” he yelled.

“You don’t even know what that means,” Hector said with a huff.

Duranny pulled up his crown.

Hector!” he said. “You’re back!”

He stood up and ran towards Hector before tripping over his own cape and hitting the floor.

“Duranny!” Hector and the two guards both reeled in shock.

“I’m okay!” Duranny said. He picked himself up. “The king needs no help.”

“What are you talking about,” Mallory asked. “Kings get helped with everything. Everything.

“Mallory!” Mallory put his hand down, and Durnnay high-fived him.

“What’s up, bud?” Mallory asked.

“Tell me everything!” Duranny said.

While Duranny pulled Mallory away from the group, Hector turned around.

“Sorry about that,” Hector said. “This is where we convene and eat. Rooms are around the corner. There’s more than enough for everyone.”

“There’s no one else here,” Tallow said, as she took a seat at a long table that sat in the middle.

“That’s ‘cause there’s only a few of us down here,” Mallory said. “We’re really small.”

“We’re a strong group of few,” Hector said. “There’s no need for us to be as big. We do our job well.”

“No one cares, Hector,” Tallow said. She had begun to lean on the back of the chair, using her legs on the table to keep balance. “We’re here!”

Jon watched Duranny and Mallory continue to talk about what happened on the farm.

“And then a giant monster came out?” Duranny asked excitedly.

“A giant monster! Rawr!” Mallory pretended to be a monster and chased Duranny around.

“Aaahh!!! Hector! Pick me up!”

Hector grumbled under his breath, but he went to Durranny and knelt down.

Duranny jumped on Hector’s back. Hector stood up, and they started to wander around the room.

“Wow, Hector’s good with kids,” Tallow noted.

“...Yeah…” Mercy said quietly.

“Shoot him, Jon!” Duranny yelled. “Shoot him!”

“Psst!” Jon held up two fingers and pretended to shoot Mallory.

“Ahhh!” Mallory pretended to fall over and die.

“No, not the monster!” Duranny cried. “You’re supposed to shoot Hector!”

Jon nodded. He was aiming his fingers towards Hector when Amalia burst in the door.

“Hector! We need to talk. Now,” Amalia said.

“Whatever you have to say to me you can say to-”

Hector,” Amalia said. “Please.

“It’s fine, Hector,” Mercy said. “She sounds serious.”

“Yeah…” Mallory had picked himself from the store. He was frowning. “She sounds serious.”

Amalia looked like she was about to cry.

“...Duranny…” Hector picked up Duranny off of his back with one hand. “I have to talk with your sister…”

Hector walked up to Amalia when another figure entered the room.

“Lester?” Hector said in surprise.”

“That’s my name,” Lester said. “You can say it louder if you want.”

He was wearing a ripped t-shirt with pants, and he had a large sword strapped to his back.

“I…” Hector was stunned.

“I think you should catch up with the pretty lady,” Lester said. “We can catch up later.”

“...Right…” Hector nodded. “See you then.”

Hector followed Amalia out of the room.

Lester looked around. “Is this the rest of the King’s guard? Do we have a large number?”

“Actually…” Mallory started, “just Jon is looking to join. That’s… Jon…”

Lester was already walking up to Jon. At the door, Lester seemed to be of average height, but up close, Jon was amazed that he had to look up to see him.

“Jon, you say.” He nodded. “You’re looking to join the King’s Guard?”

“...Maybe…” Jon said. For some reason, he wished he was holding his gun.

Lester suddenly slammed Jon hard on the shoulder, shaking him. It only turned out to be a friendly pat.

“Howdy, partner! I’m so glad we have a new recruit! We need some more people. Have you met Lana yet? You’re gonna love her. She’s a real sweetheart. A little on the fiery side.”

“Uhh… he met Lana once…” Mallory said. “But Jon’s not really-”

“You’re gonna love it here!” Lester said. “Are you from here?”

Jon shook his head.

“Right, brother. I’m gonna show you around-”

“He’s fine right here, thanks,” Tallow answered.

“And just who are you?” Lester asked, putting his hands on his hips.

“Why is everybody just itching to know?” Tallow slammed the table with her clawed hand and stood up.

“You definitely ain’t from around here,” Lester said.

“Is that a problem?” Tallow asked.

“...Not at all. We King’s Guard are a kooky bunch. We all hail from different areas. We come together to… make a difference.”

“Well, I’ll be out of your hair as soon as possible,” Tallow responded. “Then you can go back to make a difference.”

The door slammed open. Duranny’s guards suddenly raised their spears in preparation.

Hector was standing in the doorway, looking like he had seen a ghost.

“...Mallory…” His voice trembled.

“What? Hector, are you okay?” Mallory’s voice was soft with concern, much more than usual. “You don’t look okay.”

“I’m…” Hector looked at the others. Tallow crossed her arms but waited for him to speak. Mercy didn’t seem to pay him any mind in her chair.

“I’m… getting… married…”

What?” Mercy stood up. “Married?

Hector slowly nodded. The blood then drained from his head and he fell to the floor.

“Oh dear,” Mallory said. “That’s only happened… twice in his life.”

 

0