Book 3: Chapter 3
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mallory snapped his fingers. The familiar blue circle appeared around his feet, and Hector was lifted by a large blue square that appeared underneath his body.

“I didn’t know Hector faints,” Tallow said. "He's done this before?"

“Me neither,” Lester said. “It’s pretty funny.”

Hector has been running on fumes ever since a few days,” Mallory explained. “He’s been fighting nonstop, and he hasn’t been getting that much sleep.”

“That’s true,” Mercy said. “He did stay up all last night.”

“Then why is Mercy doing so well?” Tallow asked. “She kicked some guy's ass earlier.”

“That’s ‘cause what Mercy has over Hector is stamina,” Mallory explained. “Hector hits strong and fast, even if he isn't going at full power. We do a lot of missions, but at least we get to have breaks in between. This has been the longest amount of fighting we've done in a while. Consider that and the stress this situation puts on him, and..."

Mallory motioned for the two guards to come pick up Hector, but Lester stepped in.

“Let me.” He holstered Hector over his back with one arm and carried him out of the room.

“Guard the room, Duranny,” Mallory said.

Duranny saluted. “Aye aye, captain!”

Mallory gave a small smirk, and they all followed Lester out of the room, leaving Duranny and the guards behind.

"Hector's been under a lot of stress..." Mallory said to Tallow quietly as they walked out.

Lester carried Hector into another nearby room that had 2 rows of beds that lined the walls.

Mallory pulled off the covers and Lester laid Hector out into the bed. Mallory then pulled the covers back over him.

Hector's eyes were still closed.

“He seems okay…” Mallory said. “Just seems like he needs a bit of rest and-”

Tallow slapped Hector on the face.

“What the hell!” Hector’s eye’s opened in a rage. “Who did that?”

“I’m not scared of you,” Tallow said. “I’ll do it again. Or maybe you’ll faint before I hit you again.”

“I… fainted…” The anger faded from Hector's eyes and he looked sad.

“Hector,” Mallory said, “you’ve only eaten a shish kebab since the last few days, and it wasn't even yours. Your blood sugar’s probably low, and- ”

“I don’t care,” Hector said. “I can just die right now.”

“I can do it!” Both Lester and Tallow responded at the same time.

Mercy was the only one who moved closer to Hector.

“What’s this business about you getting married?” Mercy asked. “Is it to Amalia?”

Hector turned his head away from her. However, he eventually answered.

“Yeah. Sure. It is."

“That’s horrible,” Mercy said. “Didn’t you have a say?”

“Maybe if I leave, I can still die in the glory of battle,” Hector said unenthusiastically.

“I don’t see what’s so bad about Hector getting married,” Lester said. “Especially with Amalia. She's not only a piece of work but-”

Nobody should be forced to marry anybody,” Mercy said, swiftly turning around. “And that means that Hector is gonna have to be in charge of an entire kingdom.

“Ehh... “ Lester waved it away. “It’s not that much land.”

“...This is still a really important area,” Mallory said. “This is where everyone comes through when they’re passing through the lands.”

“Isn’t Hector good at protecting things?” Lester asked. He shrugged. “Seems alright to me.”

”I see where you're coming from, Lester," Mallory said, drawing a stunned look from Mercy," “Hector will gladly fight for things… but to rule…”

“It’s fine…” Hector said. Everyone turned to him.

“It’s… fine...I’ll be okay…”

“See, he gets it!” Lester said, gesturing to Hector.

Tallow squeezed her claw hand, which made a shriek as it scraped against itself. “If he doesn’t-”

“Lester,” Hector said. “Can you go find Amalia? She’s in her room.”

“...Alright,” Lester put his hands up in protest. “I’m just saying. Luther-”

Go,” Hector repeated. "It's fine.

“Right." Lester nodded slowly.

“...Don't tell her,” Hector added. “I don’t know if she knows… but don’t tell her yet.”

“On my word.” Lester nodded. “Let me know when you need anything else. Be seeing you guys.”

He left the room.

“...Can I say it now?” Tallow said. “He’s a dick.”

“A major one,” Mercy added. “And that’s not a compliment.”

“Guys… it’s fine…” Hector said. “It’s fine…”

“It’s not fine!” Mercy said, turning back around to him. “It’s not fair! It’s-”

“Mercy,” Mallory said. “I think Hector knows. He knows.”

Everyone had a sorrowful, except for Jon. He knew it was bad, but he didn’t understand how bad yet. Was Hector going to become King? Like Harris?

“Don’t you like… have to be, like a prince or something, to be in charge?” Tallow asked. “Are you a prince? That would explain a lot.”

“No…” That was all Hector could say for himself.

“Hector’s father and the King are incredibly close,” Mallory explained. “Hector and Amalia have known each other since they were kids, and their fathers were friends long before that. Hector’s father is also recognized with some political power in this part of the land due to his… early exploits. As such, Hector has been bestowed some of that when he was born.”

“Him and all his 4 sisters?” Tallow asked. “Why don’t they get married?”

“His sisters are placed in several key areas around Resden."

Resden. Jon hadn't heard that name before. Was that the name of this Kingdom?

"All of them have political power in some capacity except for Hector and-”

“Don’t,” Hector said. “Just don’t.”

“...You have to be open to everyone,” Mallory said.

“No I don’t,” Hector said. "It’s fine. Mercy will go home, and Tallow will go back with Sabez, and Jon will take my place in the King’s Guard. Then you and Jon can-”

“I’m staying by your side no matter what, man,” Mallory said. “I’m not leaving you here.”

“...Then you’re stuck here with me too,” Hector said. “...I mean, thanks.”

That’s the right answer.” Mallory went up to Hector and patted him on the shoulder. “Good job. You’re opening up. That’s what you need to do for us.”

“Hold on…” Hector sat up from bed.

“Are you okay?” Mallory’s question was ignored as Hector stood onto his feet and walked to the side of the next bed over.

He suddenly drew his sword and swung it upwards. The bed soared into the air while being on fire, crashing into pieces into the other side of the room.

“Hector…” Mallory’s pleas were still ignored. Hector ran and kicked the next bed, screaming. The bed also flew to the other side of the room while on fire, exploding into the debris.

Everyone flinched as they expected Hector to throw another bed, but instead, he just threw his sword on the ground while screaming.

He stood still, breathing heavily while he watched the debris of furniture slowly extinguish. He then stood up straight.

“I’m going outside…” Hector said calmly, as he went towards his sword and picked it up. After putting the sword back in it's sheath, he left the room again.

“Should we leave him?” Mercy asked Mallory.

“...I don’t know…” Mallory said. “I don’t know…”

They sat on the beds without speech for a while.

Mercy then finally broke the silence.

“Doesn’t… I mean, didn’t Hector know already?” She asked.

“...No… I mean… you could see it coming…” Mallory answered, "but it still is a bit sudden. Even I didn't see it coming... stupid me..."

“Actually, Tallow interjected, “what Mercy is saying is why didn’t you know?”

“I…” Mallory made a sad shrug. “I know that Luther likes to put his kids in powerful places… but marriage? Hector was useful on the King’s Guard. He and Lana make a strong team, and they have a good reputation. A million people have asked for Lana's proposal, and Luther's shot down all of them. I guess I assumed Luther would do the same for Hector, and leave him be. I guess he thought otherwise.”

“Who’s this Luther fellow?” Tallow asked. “Is that Hector’s dad?”

“Yeah. He is. Imagine Harris and Hector put into one person, but a hundred times more scarier.”

“That sounds scary,” Tallow commented. “I don't want to imagine.”

“Don’t,” Mallory said. “Hector is on the King’s Guard to stay away from his pops as long as possible. I mean, it’s not the main reason, but it’s a hell of a perk on its part.”

Hector opened the door again.

“I hope you guys aren’t talking about me,” Hector said. “Nothing could be less interesting…”

“We’re friends, Hector,” Mallory assured. “We care. Right?”

Jon nodded. “Yeah.”

“...Yeah…” Mercy said.

“Sure,” Tallow added.

“I… I still want to finish my mission,” Hector said. “To bring Mercy…”

Mercy went up to Hector and hugged him. His head hung over her shoulder, but he slowly returned the hug.

Mallory watched them with interest.

“...No… that would be dumb…” Mallory said under his breath.

Jon watched Mallory curiously. What did he mean?

Jon noticed that Tallow had glanced curiously at Mallory too. She and Jon met eyes, knowing that they both heard what Mallory said.

“Why don’t… you take Hector outside,” Tallow said. “Maybe he wants to spar.”

“It’s late,” Mercy said, pulling off of Hector. “I don’t know if-”

“I should be going to see Amalia,” Hector said. “To…” he sighed.

“Hector, I know you don’t like listening to people," Mallory urged, "but can you do so, just this once? You need some air.”

“...Sure… I’ll listen…” Hector turned and walked out the door.

“Follow him,” Tallow said. “And try to make sure he doesn’t…”

Tallow made the impression of wrapping a rope around her neck and hanging herself, even making a sound for the breaking of her neck.

Mercy glared at Tallow. “Fine. Jon-”

“Jon stays here,” Tallow added.

Mercy took a sharp breath but didn’t answer.

“He’ll be safe, promise. You can have him back after.”

Mercy silently followed after Hector.

As soon as she left, there was a strong burst of wind as Tallow ran to the door and slammed it closed.

“You!” Tallow pointed to Mallory. “You’re scheming, aren’t you? You silly little brain weasel. You got something to say!”

Mallory was surprised. “What? No. I… scheming would imply that I was going to put it into practice.”

What is it?” Tallow asked. “You have a way to make everyone stop crying themselves a river and drowning us in their ‘boo-hoo’ privilege tears? Please, let me hear it.”

Jon nodded. He would also like to know if there was a way to make everyone sad, even if it was dangerous for them.

“...Well…. Hector is recognized as a duke of sorts…”

“Haha. Duke.” Tallow said out loud.

“This gives him eligibility to marry Amalia,” Mallory continued.

“What exactly is this eligibility anyway?” Tallow asked. “Sounds like a logistical nightmare.”

“It is,” Mallory said. “I know a lot about this stuff. I’m sure you do too.”

“I dabble,” Tallow said. “Continue.”

“Well, as you suggested, eligibility isn’t technically a written down law." Mallory explained. "Anyone can be eligible, as long as the right amount of people, err, ruling powers, agree for this to be the case.”

“So, I could be a princess if I wanted to,” Tallow said.

“Well, uh, actually, your official title could probably be diplomatic official,” Mallory said, “If I suggest what you and Sabez do is-”

“Watch your tongue before I chop it off and feed it to that giant monster of yours,” Tallow said.

“...What I mean to say, is that the status of what one’s land gives to them is at least somewhat legitimate to other lands that they enter. One we have to respect, especially because this castle acts as a meeting place between several lands, as well as the location of the King’s Guard, which by its existence is a multi-ethnic-”

Explain, don’t bore me with details I already know,” Tallow interjected.

Jon didn’t know the details, and he would have been happy to hear it, but he let Tallow direct the conversation since she seemed to be understanding where it was heading.

“Anyways…" Mallory said, "it’s the reason why Jon, for his instance, is from the Farmland over yonder, but isn’t considered in any diplomatic representation, because his farm doesn’t treat him as such. But you, Tallow, because you’re positioned by your government to be sent out of your territory to-”

“Be careful…

“What I’m saying is, you have soft legitimacy to be considered a diplomat.”

“...But what stops these guys from just saying that I’m not,” Tallow added, gesturing to the general area.

“Nothing,” Mallory answered, “except… they want to establish good relations with the foreigners and the natives. There’s been a lot of talking behind scenes between people, and there’s some nervousness about things that have been happening… like what happened on Jon’s farm.”

Jon nodded. He wouldn’t be surprised if others were scared of that happening to them.

“That’s part of the reason that this marriage is happening in the first place, should I assume,” Mallory continued. “Especially with how sudden it is. Also, it's just good form. If you want your dignitaries to be respected in other lands, then you should be expected to do the same. Professional courtesy."

“...So, you want me to marry Hector?” Tallow asked.

“No,” Mallory said.

“So, you want me to marry the princess…

“I don’t think your diplomatic status gives you the power you need to offer a marriage to intercede this one coming up,” Mallory responded.

“But who would…” Tallow’s eyes widened in disbelief when she figured it out. “Mercy?"

She put her hands on her hips. "First, ew. But second, isn't she a diplomat? A diplomat's daughter at least."

“...Uh…” Mallory grimaced. “I don’t think she’s just a diplomat's daughter. More so I'm saying that her father isn't probably just a diplomat. Everything that’s been happening is too serious just for that.”

“So, she is a princess!” Tallow added.

“...Maybe. But I doubt it. Mercy... Isn’t a liar. And she’s had too much experience and training to just be a princess. She’s somewhere in the middle, most likely. ”

“A princess in a ninja clan. Of course, she would have had training like that.” Tallow said.

"She has way too much free time," Mallory responded.

“I thought princesses had lots of free time,” Tallow responded.

“...Mercy doesn't strike me as such. Trust me, it’s a feeling. But whatever it is may just have enough legitimacy to make everyone think twice. Just a theory. They could also just ignore us, or even just kill Mercy and the rest of us and do the entire thing anyway.”

“So, we’re gonna crash one wedding with another?” Tallow grinned. “That sounds wicked dramatic.”

“It’s not that simple,” Mallory said. “There’s… a process. It’s called the-”

The door slammed open, and Mercy entered the room.

“He threw another tantrum, so he’s going to see his girlfriend now,” Mercy said with an eye roll.

“You want to get married?” Tallow asked.

“Where do you come from, asking something like that?” Mercy responded, confused and a little miffed.

“Hey, hey, hey,” Mallory began, trying to keep the tension down. “How about we just-”

“Wait. You mean to Hector.” Mercy’s expression settled down. “Oh. Sure.”

Mallory gagged. “What? That simple?”

Mercy shrugged. “It’s come up before. Not with Hector, I mean. But…”

She looked at Jon. “Getting married would mean that I could stay in the kingdom without having to go back home. I mean, I wouldn’t be able to have that much freedom, but-”

“It would give you freedom from your crazy clan,” Tallow finished.

“...Yeah… anything would be better than that… even…” Mercy frowned. “I think it would be better.”

“...Let’s say you are okay with this,” Mallory said. “What will your family think?”

“I… don’t care what my family thinks…” Mercy said. However, she saw the terror on Mallory’s face, so she decided to address it.

But... if I really do marry into a fancy family that gives them control, then maybe they would let it go without retaliation.”

“Haha, that’d be nice…” Despite his small chuckle, Mallory didn’t seem to think it was very funny.

Mercy kept her eyes trained on Jon.

“What if Hector’s father decides to disown him?” she asked.

“Then you and Hector can move into a forest and have very many angry ninja babies,” Tallow said.

“No, actually,” Mallory said, seeing the angry look on Mercy’s face, “that would be a best-case scenario. As opposed to being killed by Mercy’s or Hector’s family.”

“Or Mercy could just marry the princess,” Tallow said.

Don’t push it,” Mercy warned.

Jon wondered about Mercy getting married to Hector. It would be weird, wouldn’t it? It would be like his parents. Would they have children like his parents too?

“This is very serious,” Mallory said. “Are you sure you would be up to the task of being ingrained into Hector’s family?”

“I would,” Mercy said. “I mean… it can’t be any worse than my parents.”

“It might be a whole bunch of ‘do that,’ ‘go here’, sort of situation, like usual,” Mallory responded. “Not that I know what your situation is, but-”

“Yeah…” Mercy said. “It would. But this time, I wouldn’t be alone…”

Jon then realized that everyone was looking at him.

“...Yeah…” Jon said. He assumed everyone was waiting for him to chip in.

“I don’t believe you’re going to actually go through with this,” Tallow said. “I don’t believe it.”

“You don’t have to stay,” Mercy said.

“Really?” Tallow scoffed. “I wouldn’t miss something this crazy for the world. Besides, someone’s gotta keep an eye on Jon while this is all happening-”

I’ll keep an eye on Jon,” Mercy said with venom.

Relax.” Tallow assured. “You can have him after you’re done with your first beau. I’m sure you’re gonna be busy with Hector’s family and your own. I’ve been around a royal wedding or two. Besides, you can’t have Jon hanging around you the entire time, or people will start to talk.”

“I don’t care it-”

“Mercy, she does have a point,” Mallory said. “We don’t want to give the families any reason to delegitimize the wedding.”

“...Yeah, you’re right.” Mercy groaned.

“I do agree with your attitude,” Mallory continued. “I don’t think this would work if you weren’t stone-cold hard.”

Mercy gave a smirk. “Thanks.”

“Also, it’s not fair that you get to keep all the men to yourself,” Tallow added. “Hector over here, Jon over there…”

“Tallow, leave me alone,” Mercy looked away, blushing. “We know exactly why we’re doing this.”

“And…” Tallow added. “Let’s say all of this is possible… we have the case of that somber pile of firewood out there.”

“Would Hector even go for something like this?” Mercy asked Mallory. “I mean, I don’t feel so hot about it, but Hector-”

“Hector…” Mallory looked down in thought. Jon was taken in by Mallory’s thoughtful expression. He always seemed to think deeply about what he was saying, but Jon could almost feel the emotion pouring out from Mallory’s heart into his words. It gave Jon butterflies in his stomach.

“Hector… has a fierce sense of duty… to people… to his family… to the King’s Guard… and to the Kingdom. And many times, they overlap. Getting him to completely go against that would be a hard case.”

“I mean, he should honestly be in the room right now, while we talk about it,” Tallow said. “Although I love the idea of us making grand political schemes in this little basement of ours.”

“You’re right,” Mallory responded, nodding slowly. “I mean, not about the scheming, that’s horrifying. But…”

He continued with his point. “Hector has always sort of secretly hated everything about this.”

Tallow made another signature scoff. “Secretly?

“He’s been more expressive about hating things recently,” Mallory said. “I know it doesn’t seem like much, but after the incident on Jon’s farm, he’s really opened himself more. And he seems to have found another way to feel happy that he wants to keep. That’s why he’s lashing out so much as opposed to just grinding his teeth.”

“Does Hector want to be a farmer?” Mercy asked.

“I think Hector enjoys the perks of being a farmer… I think he still needs time to figure that out. And I guess that’s why we’re doing this…”

Mallory sighed. “I guess that’s why we’re all doing this… I…”

Mercy quickly ran up and hugged Mallory.

“If this works Mallory… thank you…” Mercy said.

“Hey, this might end up with all of us dead.” Mallory said. “But you know I got your back. And Hector’s. And Jon’s…”

Jon didn’t know why he was involved, but he was happy to hear that Mallory had his back first.

“There’s… one more thing we have to worry about,” Mallory said. “I mean, I’m not that worried.”

“What is it?” Mercy asked, releasing him and stepping back a bit.

“That would be the easy part,” Mallory said. “And we might even to be able to avoid it. But I think we should talk to Hector before we go any further on this.”

“...Okay…” Mercy nodded. “I agree.”

“We’re doing this?” Tallow jogged in place in excitement. “I can’t wait to see the expression on Hector’s face when we tell him.”

“You said he went to Amalia’s room?” Mallory asked.

Mercy nodded. “That’s what he said.”

“Okay. Uh, I’ll take Jon with me to look for him,” Mallory said. “You guys are the fastest, so you should look around the castle for him.”

“Did he lie about going to Amalia’s room?” Mercy asked.

“More like he might have taken the long way,” Mallory explained. “The really long way.”

“Alright.” Mercy looked at Tallow. “Race you to the keep?”

“Oh… yeah…” Tallow said. “Get ready to eat my dust.”

“Eat mine first.” The two girls raced out of the door.

Now, it was just Mallory and Jon.

“...I had to send them away,” Mallory said. "I wouldn’t want Amalia to get jealous.”

“Okay,” Jon said. He didn’t know why Amalia would get jealous. Did Amalia want to marry Hector? Couldn't Hector just marry both of them at once?

“Let’s go.” Jon followed Mallory out of the room.

 

0