Chapter 1
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My Winter Candy

Chapter-1

Author's notes/Foreword:

 

There've been so many, many instances when I wanted to restart this story but it didn't feel right to turn off the four people who were actually reading it, so me being the classic old me decided to run things at my pace. I've wanted to put it forward even in the description earlier but this one isn't all rainbows and glitters though that was what I had started with. Now to correct my stupid mistakes I will restart the story with the earlier chapters as buffer.

 

This time just bear with me.

 

Side note:

Italics—> Usually flashback, Phone Calls, text, thoughts of given character.

Bold—> Other languages (Japanese)

 

(´∩。• ᵕ •。∩`) 

For all she could care for, her white capelet remained clean as she woke up to the noisy landing. The loud screech clearly did no good as she stared out the window too exhausted to show her anger.

 

The airport was busy like usual; it was her second home. Voices faded in the background as her high heeled boots  pressed against the durable rubber flooring at the terminal.

 

"Great," she rolled her eyes internally as she heard a 'low battery' midst her favourite song. She took in another sip of the chocolate milkshake, her beauty was never overlooked. She always dressed to impress after all. If it made any sense she looked like someone that was dropped off from a novel or maybe it was the fact that she was rich enough to buy anything she wished any time.

 

Her curtain bangs looked styled as she slightly curled them. Her black skin tight jeans embracing her lower structure were not really visible since the knee length boots had covered them. She continued to walk along the exit as she finally giggled upon seeing the boy.

 

Ataraxia bumped her fist with her brother as he soon pulled her into a hug. Her Matt black nail polish with golden details glimmered upon the reflection. "Heyo, lord, when did you grow so much!?" He laughed as he finally got in, putting the suitcases behind on the back seat. 

 

"How are mother and father?" She asked, still scrolling through her phone. After a suspension Felix just hummed not saying much he let out a "fine I guess". She looked up ruffling his hair as he breathed in before cackling away his sniffles. "Crybaby," she smiled, passing him a candy.

 

Surely, the Christmas mood had settled in as the concrete jungle was lit in every crook and cranny people rushing home she could feel the familial love lingering outside the mini exhibitions as kids giggled and squealed. She beamed as she eyed her brother to stop by at the takoyaki stall. 

 

"Who's the younger one?" Felix followed his elder sister as she had won the fifth plushie already. It felt to her that taking those archery lessons for extra curricular in high school was paying off. They had gotten a few glances from people around as they continued to titter at the games each time they won or lost.

 

Chewing the last takoyaki Ataraxia laid her eyes on the cotton candy stand. "You want one? I'm not sharing" She stated in a matter-of-factly manner, already ordering four packs for herself. She got on the driving seat as her brother seemingly looked at the world with colour after ages. 

 

"You should come home often." He snickered munching on the caramel flavoured popcorn. A wry smile itched her face at his comment as her honey brown eyes melted under the moonlight unlike her little brother's blue eyes that glimmered. 

 

Her pastel peach hair looked fluffy just like cotton candy that she loved so much. It was true she enjoyed attention, she grew fond of it. But to her principles there's always timing for everything.

 

*+*+*+*

 

Ataraxia looked around the coffee coloured house, the wallpaper was still intact. Memories flooded in as she ran her fingers against the marble countertop. The hard slap still burned her cheeks as the loud screech vividly rang inside her head. All of that abuse was a huge part of her life until highschool when her parents passed away.

 

"I'm Lily Hyperion, will you be my daughter?" The woman offered amidst the funeral that felt foreign to begin with. It was well done as though it was a dark themed party not a funeral.

 

 The girl looked up, forming eye contact with the woman, her blonde hair glowed. Just like her blue eyes that looked like they were under the spell of the prettiest oceans, unlike her brown eyes that resembled dirty mud or so she thought.

 

She nodded hypnotized by the beautiful lady. All she longed was love and that came through with all the forced smiles all the fake talks, everything felt stupid so stupid that when her stepbrother tried to stab her she just laughed welcoming him with warm eyes, tears too dried to exist. It wasn't successful.

 

And that explained why even the smallest of kind bits made her melt and she had one she called her own; Lucifer.

Putting on her night gown she stumbled across the empty duplex since Felix had returned to his dorms. Ataraxia had not been in the country for almost six years and yet nothing looked different. 

 

Letting out an effortless vibrational sound from prolonged pleasure she rushed spoonfuls of the peach flavoured yoghurt.

 

Making sure she looked over every file Sarah had sent her she put her phone away so she wouldn't be disturbed, she wasn't much to her delight. The other rooms were still untouched from the looks of it. Lily must've ordered Nana to stop by every other week since the house still looked clean.

 

Six years? Damn. Her mind spoke as she just shrugged.

 

Neo was still sleeping since he had gotten his vaccine. The doctor had already explained the cat won't be awake anytime before 24 hours. Getting up from the most comfortable seat she came out of the study. 

 

Recalling her promise to send Lucifer the location, Ataraxia didn't have to look deeper into her chat history since his name was the first. Don't forget to get some rest. His last message was displayed as she stretched her arms. 

 

It was over a month since they had started dating. They hung out in huge libraries and old coffee houses every so often. The most beautiful memories flooded in as she scrolled through her gallery. He felt like home. A safe haven. 

 

His soft lips grazed hers under the blue sky. Her breath was uneven; it was always a surprise when Lucifer was passionate since he usually just accepted her lazy kisses. 

 

"Your lips still taste like that chocolate." He said one again pulling her by her waist leaving no room to escape. She cupped his face as their lips once again found their way around the other.

 

"I'm beginning to doubt it's me you're trying to kiss" she joked as their foreheads rested against each other. He giggled as a "sorry" left his lips.

 

Just the thought of him was enough for her cheeks to tint pink across them. The rain was still pretty powerful. She missed the snowflakes and his warmth. 

 

Knock Knock

 

Hesitant for a second she got up putting on her fancy pink sweater for whoever the guest was. "Arthur?" She pulled in the boy for a hug as he smiled. Since they were identical twins Arthur and Felix often got mistaken for one another except that never happened with Ataraxia she wouldn't forget the youngin who tried to stab her. She wasn't stupid.

 

"How are you? Should've stopped by the family house" he said, drinking the orange juice Ataraxia had given him before going back in to bring the cake. 

"Hm, it was too late when we got home, wouldn't want to disturb..you know? I was planning to stop by tomorrow though" she said, finally bringing the piece of cake to the plate. 

 

"Mom and dad miss you every day.. you don't even call me often." He looked away a little sad. His freckles made him look adorable but his piercings told otherwise. She knew that very well but she never had a reason to call either. She wasn't going to simply call them and be like My company has been placed as the world's top companies! I rank higher than dad's! They'd assume I've forgotten my place.

 

She knew her limits and never tested them. "So, how's school? Anything fun?" She smiled as the boy shrugged, simply rolling his eyes.

 

 "Don't tell me you aren't attending" she said in a stern voice only to get a hum as a response. She exhaled sitting down beside the boy as he continued to stay oblivious. She examined his wrists which he quickly covered.

 

Letting out another sigh she pulled out the first aid kit that was still in the same drawer as six years ago. The items inside were different, all of them new and untouched. 

 

"Who?" She asked not taking no one for an answer. Hissing at the solution he looked at her as his tears dropped on her hands as far she knew these boys their childhood wasn't much different than hers just that they had someone they could talk too.

 

"Mother, father and- mother" he spoke as his nervous and shaky voice brought back old memories of her own childhood. 

 

Attaching the strips with the clips she rubbed his fingers with her thumb, "It's alright, I'm here now, okay?" She repeated over and over until his breath got stable and his trembling hands calmed. 

 

"Don't hurt yourself like this," she said, staring at his ear piercings. "You know how much she wanted a daughter, that's why she sent Nana over each day to clean this house." Now she remembered why she left this place. 

 

Ataraxia had always heard stories of the family in the neighborhood who were obsessed with their younger daughter but for her that toxic obsession felt like genuine love since she couldn't really differentiate. She recalled her fifteenth birthday morning when for the first time in a while she didn't wake up to plates crashing or her own blood but rather police sirens. The loud cries still resounding in her head of the lady firmly holding the girl who continued to bleed. 

 

It was new for her to see something like that and much like her childish thoughts she just turned away and ran towards the flowerpot in the balcony. It was all over the news that the Hyperion family's only daughter was hospitalized. After a few years Ataraxia became that daughter. She was living a life that was of someone else to begin with and so she did what she could. She put up with everything.

 

Little did everyone know she built her own kingdom in the dark ruins of the world. She owned the business world. She expanded through her ways of the 'rich'. 

 

"Can I stay over?" Arthur asked, recollecting her attention. She hummed along standing up to clean the kitchenware. "Where do you want to sleep?" She looked at the teenager who pointed at the room beside hers earning a nod he joyfully got up waving as he entered the room.

 

"Good night, you too" she laughed, switching off the lights as she walked inside her own room. Just the second her head hit the pillow there was no other movement it was as though all she knew was sleep. 

 

A few hours passed by as the rain slowed. The boy was still not asleep as he was still playing the piano game before finally opening the chatting app. He stared at his sister's profile picture of the boy, Lucifer.

Lucifer laughed as he looked at his phone. Ataraxia had quite a lot of cameras of all sorts and she was very open about it also. But she wasn't the best at shooting videos unlike pictures which she took professionally and everyone knew that. He still watched the forty five second video of himself that she took at their date to the theme park.

 

"Ho! Ho! Lucifer laughed! I repeat Lucifer laughed!" Xavier screamed, receiving a glare from the boy. Xavier was the perfect right hand man to Lucifer except he was way too energetic, something they did not have in common.

 

 He had loved Ataraxia since day one since she did things at her pace and was calm and mature and by the time he learnt that she too was quite a not-so-mature person he was head over heels for her. 

 

"We'll resume the recording" the pasty pale skinned boy spoke. Lucifer's skin looked quite tanned making him look even more handsome. It still leaned to pale that's why wheatish was the only adjective for his skin tone.

 

"Rare for you to change dates" Xavier said as the boy ran his hand through his hair after successfully completing the recording.

 

 It was indeed quite rare but he promised Ataraxia he'd be there on Christmas with her. He just smiled as her images filled his mind. "I've got a date," he said, not looking away from the road. "Look! It's Ataraxia!" Xavier said only to freeze on his tracks all he knew about the girl was through Lucifer but he didn't know she was a big deal. 

 

"I forgot to mention she's huge," Lucifer said as he flashed an enthusiastic grin as he looked at the confused boy beside him.

 

 "No, Lucifer, you don't 'forget' this kind of stuff" he said getting annoyed since he was Lucifer's manager he was responsible for everything that Lucifer did even if Lucifer himself was the boss.

 

"She's worth it," he said, rolling up the window that reflected the girl's pictures that slided on the huge screen of the big building. "Any plans for the face reveal?" Xavier joked, shoving his elbow as he usually reacts. Lucifer continued to ignore the boy as a pout formed on his lips, "okay, okay, it was just a joke" he quickly said to avoid the boy's glare. "Wasn't funny." 

 

Hearing the sniffles from the other room Ataraxia got up quickly, roughly tying her hair in a ponytail as it hung till her waist. "Arthur? What's wrong?" She said, her voice was still gritty and hoarse since she had just woken up. The white walls reflected the rays of the sun that weren't even properly visible. Switching on the lights she sat on his bed rubbing his palms to cool his nerves. 

 

Finally the frown on his forehead had disappeared as his shaky breath had gotten stable. Her anger was so vivid anyone in their right mind would have avoided her. If she could she would have murdered the Hyperions the elders in general. 

 

She knew Arthur was the child who faced the most abuse within the family ever since he tried to harm her the day she stepped in their house. Picking up her phone she ordered them some breakfast as the boy started to sweat, his face suddenly sunk. "It looks like you're having a fever," she said, placing her hand on his forehead.

 

She walked in with the pills as the boy had woken up, his strips on his wrist looked brown since the blood had dried after flowing out. "I'm sorry" he spoke under his breath as tears rolled down his hot pink cheeks, his freckles lighter than before. 

 

"Sorry for what exactly?" she said as the eighteen year old continued to cry, his nose snotty and voice not audible. His hands rested in hers as she slowly tapped them in a playful manner. "It's okay, I'll wait,let it out" she said in a calm voice as he finally drank some water.

 

"You know Lily asked her men to murder Rosie and Chris" he said his hands gone cold. His eyes that weren't ocean blue like the rest, the brown he had opted from his father grew even darker.

 

She hummed, making him look up at her face, "you knew?" He asked once again. She rubbed her thumb over his cheeks as the smile still didn't fade. "I, I thought that may- maybe you wanted to go to your parents, your parents" he spoke stammering through the hiccups.

 

She looked at him this time with a little curiosity, "What made you think I would want that?" The boy just looked at her, unable to put into words his fear of showing her their childhood.

 

Just as the boy opened his mouth the bell rang as she pet his head walking away. Your scars. The voice spoke up in the empty room. 

 

It was true, it must have been, the scene of the fifteen year old Ataraxia walking in wearing her black gown, her wrists completely bruised, the deep scar on her shoulder still bleeding from earlier that morning when her father had hit her with the glass bottle that shattered leaving a mark on her arm that still remained maybe a little lighter but still it was there.

 

"There we go," she said as she heard a loud thud near the couch. It was Neo, he had finally woken up a little longer than 24 hours later. "You want to meet someone?" Ataraxia asked, standing up from the bed as she brought the boy some breakfast. He nodded while eating his porridge. "Meet Neo!" she laughed as she did an oral drumroll before the cat walked in rubbing it's healthy looking body against her legs. 

 

Startled, the boy laughed at his sister's antics. He looked much better after those few bites. "Wow, someone needs a bath" she said, lifting the cat that continued to purr. "Well Elysian said it'll be alright." She placed some water on the bed table as the boy had almost completed his breakfast. 

 

It took an entire hour for Neo to take a bath, he wasn't usually like this but it must have been the weather. Arthur had slept since the pills had started to kick in. She smiled as her eyes disappeared all that just for a call from the boy; Lucifer. 

 

Hey, safe trip? He asked in a calm voice, the voice that she was already missing. 

 

Hm, how's Zen? She said as a yawn escaped her mouth.

He's playing with the catnip. Did you get some rest? How's Japan treating you? Oh, yeah, what about the twins? She felt his kind tone changing to a worried one as she didn't want that she quickly slid in her magical words.

 

I love you. Hm, everything's great! How's the recording sessions? Don't overwork yourself. He just laughed, not saying much until he heard a purr from the other side.

 

 After talking for quite some time both of them reluctantly hung up. 

 

"Was that your boyfriend?" She flinched as she soon broke into a laugh. Boyfriend. She looked at him, a decent posture as her outfit had changed. 

 

It was the first time in a while when it felt like anyone would see her and assume she was just all about money and etiquette. Her porcelain skin and the prettiest of brown that shadowed her eyes looked like they were lulled into dreamland as her pastel dye looked prominent.

 

She was tall, maybe a 5'8. He looked at her with eyes that forced a smile. 

 

"Boyfriend, yep, exactly that." She nodded to the boy who after a halt opened his mouth only to shut it again. 

"You've changed." He remarked before putting on his jacket. 

 

She cocked her head sideways, "what? I'm sure i was a hetero since day one" she said as her fingers somehow found their way to her cheeks.

 

The boy just shrugged as he pulled his sports shoes. "Bye" he said, waving only to be followed by Ataraxia.

 

 He raised his brow as she replied, "I'm going to meet mother and father" he looked away as he led her to the parking lot getting on his motorbike he watched as his sister's hair were braided and put up in a bun, she wore a black plaid set the skirt covered her thighs as it rested a little above her knees. The beret was perfectly fit on her head.

 

'New Beginnings by KAI' Now Playing.

 

The smile on her face grew wide. It was a placid thing how even through the tiniest things it was as though her life revolved around Lucifer. 

 

She enjoyed every second of the half hour ride because she knew the air would suffocate and she'd die on the inside with each passing second within that huge lifeless mansion.

 

She pulled out her compact mirror before making sure she looked her best. She looked at it as her signature happy go lucky smile that she faked came through. 

 

She nodded at Arthur as he unlocked the double door mansion. It still was the same house it was six years ago. The walls just didn't shine much but the windows were still shut like the usual.

 

"Mom, Ataraxia has come over." Arthur said going to his room without sparing the girl a glance. He acted like the previous night didn't happen, anyone with a brain would too. 

 

"本当!" [Really!] 

 

Lily exclaimed, rushing the girl into a hug ignoring the boy who just gritted his teeth as the door shut behind her. 

 

"How are your grades?It's your last year, right?" She asked not bothering with any formalities. 

"We have winter holidays, they've been constant. Two more months to be exact." Two more months until she would have that degree.

Ataraxia didn't know what she was expecting but this definitely crushed her. She wanted to at least hear a 'how are you?'

 

When she looked back she still remembered each word Lily said to her on her actual daughter's birthday. 

 

28th January

 

"I saw your grades. My daughter never scored any less than a 99%. What bull shit is this?" The older woman threw the paper on the floor and it unfolded revealing a 97% with a smiley face. 

"What are you wearing? The heck is this? You look old for a teenager. Look beautiful at least, that's the least you can do. You may as well have died with those fools." She displayed a scorn as the teenager just faced the floor. 

 

Oh, how she wanted to run her mouth around but she too knew she wouldn't want to welcome death to her doorstep. Her polka dotted skirt covered her calves till her ankles. It continued to wrinkle with each tight grip she gave.

 

She flinched as the woman pulled her hair tie making her hair fall back. Placing a hand on the girl's jaw she pulled it up, "Posture. There's psychologists out there, don't ruin our pretty lives". 

 

The scene outside the window caught her attention as her body went numb. How she prayed to dear God that should be her. The little girl jumped around her mother in circles licking the ice cream with a pearly smile fixed just like hers except it was the real one unlike hers. 

 

Her breath got stuck. The girl who was smiling the brightest smile she could afford dropped her ice cream. She looked at it for sometime, she didn't move before something made her pick it up and put it down in the corner as she looked back at her worried mother.

 

The smile returned on her small face. Restoring Ataraxia's own. Upon locking their gaze she waved once again flashing her bunny teeth. 

 

"What's got you so interested?" Lily said following the girl's eyes. 

"You wish for a family like that, don't you?" She said, crossing her arms. Her mouth may have tried to remain silent but her eyes were too tired of all the control as they let the fluid loose. 

 

It was engraved in her memory, it was the first and last time Ataraxia cried in front of Lily. She was keen on maintaining the record.

0