Chapter 2.1 – Beyond the borders, we go.
45 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kingdom of Alervon, Sollan

 

November 13, 1773. 6:52 AM.

 

Skies over Sollan

A solitary UH-60A Blackhawk helicopter was hovering over Sollan, the capital city, as it passed through a number of fields and farmlands on its way to the centre of the city. On the voyage, Ambassador Tenjo and Ambassador Johnson were seated right close to the window and observed the two escorting Wyverns as they sailed against the wind, their wings flapping in sync. The city's gothic and mediaeval buildings came into view, and the two ambassadors could only gaze in awe.

 

Johnson is still riveted on the spectacle below them as Tenjo turns to face him. He cleared his throat to catch his attention since he wanted to politely que politely. 

So, Johnson, why did you and your friends join the party so late? You people weren't informed of our discoveries,right?  ?"

 

However, back in the States, things aren't going as planned. Therefore, everyone has a job obligation. It wasn't until I got the call that I decided to come along. Furthermore, I'm somewhat shocked that they didn't kidnap the P8's pilots.  

 

"It could be worse." 

 

The co-pilot of the black hawk glanced around the corner as their chat came to an end and announced, "30 minutes until touch down." Both diplomats nodded. Despite their lack of expression, the two ambassadors shared their excitement for their aim of speaking with a prospective "alien" nation as well as for the very different experience that lay behind the scenes.

  • • • • 

 

Current Wyvern airspace command captain Rosemary dashes out of her opulent horse-drawn carriage. Before stopping in front of the enormous doors that are home to the headquarters of the Wyvern forces stationed at Sollan Airbase, she sprinted up a flight of stairs. As she quickly moves through the maze-like hallways lit by fluorescent lights dangling from the ceiling, she moves forward and pushes the two doors apart. She nods to those who welcome her along the route. When she encounters a door with the word "communications" inscribed on a sign, she comes to a stop. She entered after a Guardsman who had been following her opened the door. they were greeted by the head of communications, Omar

 

"Okay, what's going on?" 

 

The two escorting Wyverns are to keep in close contact with the ambassadors' "hovering transport" at all times, per our order. 

 

Rosemary asked, her eyes wide with confusion, "Hovering machine?"

 

The escorting Wyverns state that the ambassadors are in a device they think is a black capsule that emits a sound like a flapping wing. What is unexpected in terms of characteristics is that it functions much like other nations in adjacent civilizations seem to.

 

"If that's the case, let me see for myself! Rosemary shouted. 

 

"If that's the case, then they should be here in 20 to 30 minutes." 

 

"Right. Just let the wyverns lead the way. "

 

Omar said as he walked away, "I got it." 

 

delivering Rosemary's request to a nearby radio operator. 

Rosemary left the room after getting her needs met and headed back outside the office. 

 

Her subordinate greeted her as she left the room, "Ah, Rosemary!" 

 

"Hm?" 

 

"You must be at the landing; the ambassadors will be there shortly." 

 

The phrase "as you wish."

 

  • • • • 

 

Rosemary stood idly, hands clasped behind her back, her professional demeanour on display. She stared blankly at the blue sky, occasionally glancing at the shape of white clouds, hoping to spot the silhouettes of the ambassador's hovering transport or her Wyverns returning from escorting them, which she did a few moments later. Two of the escorting wyverns emerge from the clouds, descending in unison before the hovering machine mentioned by Omar appears. The flying object appeared much larger than she had anticipated, as she had only imagined a small black capsule attached to an apparatus mechanism. The silhouette of the Black Hawk grew larger as it approached, descending smoothly as it hovered just inches above the ground, gradually coming into contact with the grass below, producing dust particles as the Black Hawk's rotors spun continuously until they eventually stopped. Rosemary approaches the alien-like machine, watching the two ambassador's silhouettes appear in front of the window. As ambassadors Tenjo and Johnson emerge, they are closely followed by another person wielding a weird black staff. Rosemary initiated contact with the two ambassadors. In the middle, the two sides came to a stop. Tenjo advances and approaches Rosemary, engaging her in conversation.

Tenjo threw out his arms, hoping Rosemary would give him a warm welcome. "Representative Tenjo, hailing from the nation of Japan! Ambassador Johnson from the United States of America is here with me." Rosemary smiles and extends her dominating hand to Tenjo as Johnson enthusiastically returns the favour with a hard grip.

 

“I shall be your host throughout your visit, Captain Rosemary of the Wyvern Air Force stationed in Sollan.”

 

"I'm glad to know. We have a lot to talk about. 

regarding our presence inside your country and the diplomatic affairs that we have to abide by." 

 

"Very well! I would be leading you to where we would begin!" 

 

  • • • • 

 

Washington, D.C., United States of America

 

The White House 

 

7:23 AM

 

As the demonstrations in front of the White House grew in size during the previous hour, rows of metropolitan police officers stood behind crowd barriers. Video from just hours ago shows savage battles between protesters and Metropolitan Police officers wearing full riot gear and armed with batons, transparent shields, and tear gas launchers as President Thompson observes from the comfort of the White House. The video cuts abruptly to shots of wounded cops being treated, smouldering patrol car wrecks, and shop windows that have been destroyed. When he read the endless news stories that are making headlines across the country and igniting tense discussion about the situation America has found itself in, Thompson didn't scratch an itch. Silence engulfed the room as he closed the lid of his laptop and faced his standing assistant in front of him. 

 

"The rundown?" 

 

The aide pauses as he continues reading his document, pausing briefly to look down at the paper he was holding before looking back up at Thompson: "We are seeing an enormous surge of prices going up, some even so happen to go down. The real estate sector is taking the largest hit since 80s the 1980s, the U.S. Dollar is taking a toll as well." "NASA is experiencing satellite issues, affecting the armed forces, the environment, GPS, and data sensory satellites. We have at least 20% of the satellites we had before the incident. 

 

Thompson conveyed a sense of serenity as the assistant concluded the last sentence of what he had read before giving them a small nod and expressing his gratitude verbally. He got out of his chair and walked up to the window, peering out at the gardens in front of the Oval Office. As a country that is ranked first in terms of power projection falls to its knees as its population rips itself apart in just one hour, a wave of responsibility that is much stronger than what he often bears sweeps over him. Reminding him of the alleged "first contact" with the outside world, he turns back to his assistant. "Ah yes! The news that the ambassadors Tenjo and Johnson have reported is rather encouraging."

“Have at it,” said Thompson.

The assistant flipped to another set of pages and said, "Well, they have linked up with the country's host that goes by the name of Rosemary, who is a captain of one of the country's Wyvern units." The aide said, "And the P3 Orion pilots along with the aircraft itself were returned to them as a sign of friendship, stated by the ambassadors." 

The news about the situation outside their nation's borders and the knowledge that there are at least a few countries that aren't as hostile as they imagined them to be immediately brought Thompson relief. The fleeting sense of relief was quickly erased, though, because the reality of what is happening in the nation continues to exist and will not simply vanish in a moment. 

 

"Continuing on," Said Thompson as he sat back down in his chair. "What do we have for unemployment?"

 

The aide abruptly switched from being upbeat to being professional, which caught him off guard. He turned back a few pages to where he had left off. The unemployment rate has increased by 35%, and the number of homeless people has skyrocketed to 20%, according to the Senate. 

 

Although the figures surprised Thompson, he knew they would eventually bite, just not in this way. He quickly rewinds to an earlier emergency meeting he held with his chief of staff at the Pentagon. The decision to declare "Martial Law" during those trying two hours of his life was a contentious one, but even though he was aware of the potential consequences—including the potential damage to his presidency and reputation—he felt compelled to act, even if it meant forfeiting his term in office. 

 

"What do you think? Do you think martial law is worth enforcing for the time being?"

 

The assistant frowns at Thompson, clearly disagreeing with his choice, but Thompson's conscience is starting to have second thoughts. The aide said, "Umm, well, I do think that enforcing martial law may have a chance of setting off a much bigger and uncontrollable fire, but the setbacks are completely numb at this point in time." 

 

Knowing that a problem had surfaced, Thompson sighed. He made the decision that it would be preferable to handle things with others, as he knew it would be impossible to rely only on the aide in front. Kyle set up a meeting with the presidential cabinet and the rest of the Senate this evening. We need to find a method to lessen the impact of the situation until we can figure out the rest. 

 

"I'll take care of that immediately. Audrea is delaying the media in the interim until we settle in and get ready. 

 

"Good. Make certain that all information stays within this structure. Got it? Kyle nodded, comprehending Thompson's specific comments, "The nation will eat us the moment a single atom of a document or paper gets out to the public," stated Thompson, his voice growing deeper to accentuate his point. 

Royal Throne Cabinet, Royale Palace, Sollan, Kingdom of Alveron 

 

“Delegations from the Kingdom of Aisha will arrive the following day, and they will need an escort from morning until dusk”.Savannah said, her voice resonating throughout the legislative chambers. 

 

However, as tensions rose, the accustomed smiles of civil and overseas personnel were swiftly replaced by the stern and ageing faces of parliamentary staff, who each filled their own party's booth and were joined by representatives of each arm of government.

She pauses before continuing, "Adding to this," before turning to the appropriate page in her notebook. At the Wyvern air base in Sollan, the delegates from Japan and the United States of America have arrived. The rest of Parliament is eager to learn of their presence in the nation, so Savannah glances over to Rosemary and motions for her to stand up and add to her testimony. 

Rosemary rose quietly from the audience and walked up to the podium, overlooking the quiet audience in the hall. As she began to speak, she cleared her throat. "I have personally spoken with these countries' ambassadors. My interactions with them have been out of the ordinary. Their transportation motives are similar to those seen in most countries further into the fourth civilization. Their transportation motives are something we've seen in most countries further into the fourth civilization! She pauses as she considers her next words to elaborate on her statement. "They felt strange—different. But it's clear that they're willing to go to any length for us in order to extract a few things from us." As she finishes her speech, quiet hushes and whispers begin to fill the room's quiet corners, as senators from each party looked at Rosemary, confused and interested at the same time. 

 

One member of the Parliament staff yelled out from the crowd, "And how are we supposed to welcome such strange visitors?" 

 

She answered directly, "Acceptance." Accepting my proposal for a quick meeting with these countries, she cried. 

The already perplexed throng responded to her words with a wave of stares and faint hushes. 

A senator rose and exclaimed, "Such arrogance!" "Have we yet to learn when trusting people like them? How are you sure these people are to be trusted with?" 

The senator's argument quickly changed the minds of those who previously agreed with Rosemary's words, as division lingered in the air. 

 

She argued, "What more can two people do to harm our country?" Why would such people send us their most important envoys to this country if they intended to attack us? 

 

The crowd started to nod in agreement with Rosemary's justification.

 

The senator takes a moment to gather his thoughts before saying, "If hospitality is what you wish for... then." "That's why my colleagues and I joined you in extending a warm welcome to these visitors of ours." 

 

"If that's the case, I would grant your request," she said. 

 

The senator finished his conclusion and then sat back down. Preferably, others in the area sat silently while taking in the discussion. High-ranking officials in the meeting, though, are acting from a different perspective. 

 

A stiff general in their 70s spoke forward and said, "Madam Rosemary, if I may?" 

 

"Yes, General," Savannah said. 

 

"Simply letting in these unknown individuals is not really in the best interest of the entire Senate," he said, "my subordinates and I ourselves have concluded that this may pose a significant risk to our country's security." 

 

"I would accept responsibility for what occurs, General. Besides, I would not hesitate to cut one's throat if they decided to horse around. 

 

The general answered, "Nothing further." 

 

Savannah was engaged in a chat with a senator when Rosemary approached her as the conference came to an end. As soon as Savannah sees Rosemary, she hurriedly ends their chat and approaches Rosemary. 

 

“Talks with the ambassadors will proceed as intended?” 

 

“Yep. Most of parliament agrees on it unchallenged, albeit General Thomas back there was a bit sceptical of your intentions.” 

 

“It’s part of the job. Anyways, who’s leading the diplomatic mission?” 

 

“That would be Ambassador Sherdian.” 

 

“Oh, Sheridan? I thought he was going to the World Summit with you?” 

 

“Foreign Affairs has been rushed for the last month, and no one other than Sherdian has been appointed. And once they found out about the two ambassadors, they completely trusted me to get through the conference on my own.”  

 

“Well, worst case scenario, you get singled out.” 

 

"Well it's not like I have been in that situation before. Besides, I’ve done a lot of lonesome missions since then, so this wouldn’t be as different as the last ones.” Said Savannah 

 

“That's great to hear. And also, once Sherdian gets the job done, just say “You’re welcome” since I’ve already done the first part of his job.” Rosemary bantered, referring to Sherdian’s first step in his diplomatic missions. 

 

“Heh, sure thing.” 

 

The conversation drew to a close as Rosemary and Savannah parted their ways. It wasn’t until Savannah exited the chambers when she felt off. The feeling of uncertainty and suspense lingered around her as she manoeuvred around the corridors of parliament; she felt pairs of sights looking down at her nation with mixed intentions, and everytime she quietly traced it back, it always led up to the aforementioned ambassadors of these nations.

 

“Who are they… who are these people and what do they want from this land??” 

 

These thoughts plagued her mind as she mindlessly walked around the halls, and into the country where she stopped in the middle. She looks up at the skies, as if the God’s have called her name. 

 

“Who are they…” She repeated as her mind was overwhelmed. “If these… ambassadors are what Rosemary describes,” She pauses. “Then, this is either a blessing or a curse to us… my nation.” 

 

  • • • • 

 

The House of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Alervon.  

 

Ambassador Sheridan sifts through piles of documents on his desk. “Ah, Rosemary’s.” He opens the document. “Ambassador Tenjo and Johnson…” He muttered. “Who in the world are these folks?”

The soft rhythmic knocks on the front door drew Sherdian attention. “Come in.” Upon answering the knock, his assistant, Isabella, enters the room quietly so as not to disrupt Sheridan space. “Mister Sheridan?” 

 

“Hm?” 

 

“You have been appointed to the party.” 

 

“Ambassadors Tenjo and Johnson, correct?” 

 

“Yes. The Upper and Lower house have come to an agreement thanks to Rosemary’s speech and insights. Furthermore, you’re to leave by noon today.” 

 

Sheridan nodded. “ Alright, thank you. You’re done for the day.” 

 

Isabella smiled as she walked out the door, closing it behind her. Sheridan returns to the detailed report on who these ambassadors are. A sentence caught his attention as he continued to read it. "Flying machine." He mouthed. “Hm, looks like today’s morning wouldn’t be that bad.” He remarked. 

 

He got up from his seat as he approached the coat rack where his leather brown jacket was hanging, before coming to his desk once again to pick up a few documents pertaining to Rosemary’s request. He tucks the wooden chair in before opening his door as he leaves the room, as Isa stands by the door, waiting for him.” 

 

“Shall we?” Said Isa. 

 

Sheridan nodded as he handed her the documents needed for the day. “Take these to the carriage. I’ll meet you there once I’m done tending to another work of mine.” 

 

“Very well, Sheridan.”  Isa replied. 

 

As Sheridan navigates through the corridors, he wonders if these people that Rosemary labels as “different”, have anything of value in store for them, then it would be a win-win scenario for him and his country. But even with the possibility of it happening, he still has to treat them as foreigners, one way or another.

1