1. Warmth in the arms of another
40 6 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun was waking up from its slumber and began shining its warm rays of light all across the land, allowing the destruction and despair of last night to come to light. Rushing from two sides towards the town of Lahria, that was devastated by a wicked storm were two groups of people, one representing the entirety of the Muni mountain -clan and one representing the capitals most renowned organization.

The mansions surroundings, though at first glance seemed completely destroyed, in truth, only suffered minor damagewith no need to pave the way inside. Since it was the eye of the storm, naturally it didn't get the brunt of it but rather only got secondhand damage from fallen trees and the piercing drops of rain. 

Arriving in the vicinity of the mansion the chief of the Muni mountain -clan approached the building carefully, whilst peering at the terrain. While the mansion seemed to be in impeccable condition, it looked dark and uninviting, rather it gave out the aura of wanting to drive away any and all visitors. Sharp rocks had flown and imbedded themselves haphazardly on the sides of the path, pointing their edges at whoever walked upon it. Trees and branches had at some points formed an arch with menacing aura over the path. 

Letting out a soft chuckle as he advanced and entered the house with his peers, a feeling as if they had walked into a pitch black nightmare assaulted them from head to toe. As their eyes began to adjust to the darkness, loud gasps and even gagging could be heard from among them. Seeing the tens upon tens of dried dead bodies littered everywhere took a toll on the less experienced members of the group, even more so when the body count kept on rising the further they adventured in.

Finding their way towards the inner chambers of the building there was no end to the corpses, even the chief had to frown a little bit at the sheer amount. Reaching a door that was ever so slightly open it seemed it was the only room that had even the tiniest bit of light coming from it, they pushed open the door softly and stepped in. Only to find inside a lonely flame dancing vigorously, and the small figure of a baby watching intently at its movements. Even this room wasn't devoid of dry corpses as there was even one on the same bed with the newborn. 

The chiefs entourage was quite shocked to find a baby right in the middle of last nights storm, surrounded by corpses that are beyond recognition. Moving closer to the newborn the chief looked down at it with curious eyes, stretching his hand to stroke the soft plump cheek..

''HALT!'' -unknown

Halting his movements he turned his gaze towards the sound, his entourage doing the same, puzzlement apparent on their faces.

From the doorway through which the clans people had entered came an urgent shout, made by a middle aged woman covered in back robes from head to toe. Beads of sweat trickled down her forehead and temples, giving her face a glistening look. Behind her were more people dressed in a similar way, with stern faces, holding down the urge to huff and puff from rushing over. 

''Don't you dare touch that devils spawn!'' -woman

Straightening himself up the chief properly looked at this woman from head to toe, pondering for awhile. From the organization huh, he thought whilst letting out a heartwarming smile. 

''Devils spawn? Would you be referring to this sweet and adorable little baby perhaps, Elder?'' -Chief

Her face twitched quite visibly as she got worked up, breathing deep she tried to dispel most of her anger. 

''That is no sweet innocent newborn young man! That is a demon born from heathens wishes against the will of mother nature herself! And it should not be allowed to exist any longer!'' -Elder

The chief felt a chuckle emerging from deep within, as he tried his best to fight against it he glanced at the baby quietly laying on the bed, staring straight into his eyes. His gaze lingered on those deep orange eyes of hers as he suddenly felt a shiver travel down his spine and a feeling of being sucked into a vortex. He snapped himself out of it, traces of cold sweat tracing down under his clothes as he fixed his calm gaze back onto the woman. Such power even as an infant, I wonder how it'll fare as a full-fledged one. As his thoughts traveled down this line a smile once again emerged on his face. 

''My there should be no such thing, isn't your peoples teaching in the first place that all things born under the heavens, should have a chance at life? In the first place, what made you think of this particular newborn as the spawn of evil?'' -Chief

Rage and shock apparent on her face, she steeled herself and her beliefs to respond to this prick of a man. 

''That may be so, but this thing will end up being the one to destroy all life on earth! Would you really want that on your conscience? Of course it's this one! Cant you see what this place is riddled with? There's even no blood left behind! Just shriveled up corpses! What would it be if not the spawn of evil?!'' -Elder

''I say, isn't this adorable baby most certainly an auspicious sign, to bring in a peaceful country, or even world. Just like your organization has dreamed for hundreds of years, yes?'' -Chief

Smilingly he gently scooped up the newborn into his arms, as his disciple handed him a new cloth he swiftly and skillfully wrapped it around the baby. A girl, huh. Staring right into the elders eyes as if daring her to go against him even more. 

''You-.. You! Do you want to become the enemy of the world that much?! That baby must die! It is no auspicious sign or a beacon for peace, look how many have died for her to be born!!'' -Elder

''Well, I can most certainly see that there are a lot of corpses here, but can you be certain it was because of her? Maybe something ascended at the same time and wrecked havoc for pleasure? This girl, shall not die. And that is the end of it.'' -Chief

The chief stroked the girls cheek before again looking over at the elder, giving out the domineering aura of a dictator, shocking the elders very core. This man is crazy, why cant he let that spawn die! She felt faint as she fell slightly backwards leaning to the arms of her subordinates. Watching as the man walked right past her, carrying that thing as if it was something precious, she cursed like she had never cursed before with disbelief filling her once so clear eyes. 

As soon as the chief carried the baby out of the room the struggling flame slowly started to lose its purpose and died out, filling the room with never ending darkness. Those who watched the scene unfold held their breaths as panic once again rose into their hearts. RUN! was the collective thought of the group. 

Walking outside with the baby in his arms, he braced his eyes for the brightness of the sun, grinning from ear to ear like he had just won the world. 

The girl squeezed her eyes tightly once, before slowly opening them again and peering curiously at the world unfolding before her as they started advancing towards the mountains, away from where she was born, from everything she knew. She did not cry, she didn't make a sound, as if she was incapable of such actions, she just lay there, wrapped in the warmth of the man holding her preciously. 


After some while the group from the organization had managed to get out of the gloomy and terrifying mansion that seemed to have a will of its own, a grudge to hold. They had lost their way multiple times in that maze of a mansion that seemed so simple when they went inside, it was as if the mansion itself was alive and constantly changing not willing to let them out. 

Panting heavily with cold perspiration covering their entire bodies, terror lingering in their minds as they got as far away from the palace of the dead as possible. 

''Elder, this cant be! If that thing really is the embodiment of the end of the world, it cannot survive!'' -Subordinate

''Like I don't know that! But we cannot do anything with the mysterious mountain clan protecting her, we simply do not have the right to intervene..!'' -Elder

She was enraged, she was so furious that her mind had already become calm. The elder felt as if she had failed in her life, allowing that baby to survive in this world, this simply wasn't the place for something like that. Suddenly, she had a bit of a revelation, what if, she thought. 

''We can only leave it be for now, there will be a time when that thing comes out of the mountain range, we can then purge this world of such evil.. Place people in the town below the mountain, to watch over their movements and to report anything abnormal back to the organization! We must take care of this calamity before it matures.''  -Elder

The group of people hastily and respectfully bowed as if to accept the order, along with the elder they started to move out back to the capital as quick as possible to further relay the orders. They cannot be too late. They simply can not. The worlds fate resides over our shoulders now.

 

1