Ch.2: Song Ye
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone within the Empire of Wuxing knows that the undefeated War God of Si Xiang, Zhou Chen, married only one wife and sired only one child. 

From birth Zhou Chen’s child was destined for great things. And though Zhou Xue Xian was born a female, this did not deter her father and the Zhou Clan elders from grooming her as the next head of the prestigious Zhou Manor.

Young Master Zhou had a unique upbringing, to say the least. Aside from learning the four scholarly arts, Zhou Xue Xian was trained in boxing, archery and swordplay. 

Due to her complicated background, Zhou Xue Xian was not allowed to enter a sect or accept a wandering immortal as a master. But her cultivation journey started early. At the age of four, Zhou Xue Xian was personally mentored by one of Zhou Clan’s ancestors whose cultivation reached the Transcendence Realm.

In Si Xiang, where strength is law, a cultivator’s foundation determines how close to immortality a practitioner would tread. Having the guidance of a knowledgeable master is detrimental to one’s growth but it’s not enough to drastically alter one’s course.

Pills, elixirs and herbs are considered auxiliary items that could advance a cultivator’s realm. But these rare and precious items are rendered useless as one progresses to a higher, more deeper realm. 

What surpasses these external factors is talent; pure, raw, unadulterated potential and aptitude. And Zhou Xue Xian is a rare genius that even the great Zhou Manor have not seen before.

But not everyone in Hai Shan Valley is in awe of Young Master Zhou’s prowess.

Song Ye, the eldest son of the Song Family, loathes Zhou Xue Xian. His malevolent feelings stemmed from intense jealousy and neurotic infatuation.

 From a young age, Song Ye was regarded as a rare talent in Hai Shan Valley. As a boy, he was singled-out by an elder from a mid-sized sect and was taken in as an inheriting disciple. At the age of five and thirty, Song Ye proved himself worthy by achieving the Peak Layer of Core Formation Stage. 

Song Ye could have attempted to break through the bottleneck and cultivated a Nascent Soul but he wanted to participate in the Conclave of Immortals. And with the inner demons that Song Ye needed to resolve, he decided it was wiser to momentarily stall his cultivation progress.

Growing up, Song Ye was not permitted to visit his clan or go back to Hai Shan Valley. He was meticulously trained to shed off worldly desires and his time was divided between cultivating and learning the internal affairs and management of the sect.

When Song Ye first saw Zhou Xue Xian, he sneered and thought that the Young Master of the Zhou Clan looked too fragile for an heir of a clan known for its military accomplishments. Song Ye viewed Zhou Xue Xian’s easygoing manner with derision and slight ridicule. His view of Zhou Xue Xian was that of a pompous dandy and thought that Young Master Zhou’s only saving grace was his effeminate looks that could rival a woman. 

Although his mouth spouted nothing but contemptuous words, Song Ye felt that none of the women he’d met, thus far, could not compare to Young Master Zhou’s graceful demeanor. And due to this notion, Zhou Xue Xian left a lasting impression on Song Ye.

As it is in life, it was due to chance that Song Ye later found out that Young Master Zhou is a woman. At first he was bewildered, confused as to why a young lady from a reputable family would go out, socialize, dress and act like a man. But the more he saw Zhou Xue Xian and the more he got to know her, the more Song Ye wanted to possess her.

Song Ye is of age to take a wife. In fact, he had a couple of concubines in the sect whom he practices dual cultivation with. After learning of Zhou Xue Xian’s situation, Song Ye set his eyes on her. He informed his father of his intentions and asked the family’s elders to negotiate on his behalf. 

Setting aside his family’s social status, being an inheriting disciple of a relatively influential sect provides Song Ye with a decent level of prestige and influence. Song Ye believed that any woman within Hai Shan Valley would be delighted to gain his attention and admiration.

But his intentions to wed Young Master Zhou were severely rebuffed. The Song Patriarch was incensed and advised him not to aim too high. Song Ye was warned that there are entities that should never be provoked within Si Xiang and the Zhou Clan was one of them.

The indignant reaction of the Song family elders was not without cause. The reverence towards the House of Generals, within the continent of Si Xiang, is wide-spread and deep-rooted. Very few authorities or individuals could shake such a solid core. And those who dared to try faded from history and never heard of again.

How could they, a small local clan with little influence on an obscure part of the empire, dare to hope or try to compare with the Zhou Manor? Marry the Young Master of Zhou Clan? The Song Family would be lucky if Zhou Chen and his demonic minions do not flatten the Song Family Manor if they happen to learn about the ridiculous episode!

Song Ye, however, was not deterred by his clan’s opposition. He, too, knew of the Zhou Manor’s ‘prestige’. But unlike his elders, Song Ye thought nothing of it. Song Ye was from the younger generation and was not born in the same era as Zhou Chen. To Song Ye, Zhou Chen is no more than an old general who retired to the valley because there were no more wars to be fought. He was determined to have Zhou Xue Xian. Song Ye believed that if he could get Zhou Xue Xian to agree to marry him, personally, there would be no problem regardless of what anyone says.

But things, often, do not go as one intends.

Song Ye’s high-handed approach was met with extreme resistance. In the end, he was soundly thrashed by Zhou Xue Xian and humiliated in a setting of his own making. Song Ye then swore to make Zhou Xue Xian pay for the indignity he suffered.

Unfortunately for him, Zhou Xue Xian was kept within Hai Shan Valley and was heavily guarded by the Zhou Clan. Even if he wanted to move against her, Song Ye could not do it while she was within the valley and under the protection of the clan.

Song Ye’s grudge was nurtured for years thereafter. And because he was not given an opportunity to vent his anger it affected his cultivation.

When news of Zhou Xue Xian’s departure for the Conclave of Immortals spread, Song Ye knew his time for collecting debts had come. This was a golden opportunity he’s been waiting for and he wouldn’t dare waste it!

1