Ch.22: Premonition of a storm
277 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

:: CARON ::

Everything was a complete blur for the past weeks. Well, everything that isn’t related to Arrick that is.

After my sanity returned Arrick brought me home immediately, not for anything but for the peace of mind of my parents and to abate everyone’s fears. We didn't waste any more time in the forest. And as much as I would have liked the idea of being alone with him for a few days before going back to face reality, his decision to take me back was a good decision.

Arrick contacted Colum and his pack to relay the news of my recovery. They wanted to come and see me but Arrick respectfully declined knowing that if Colum visits, Briana would too. And though Nightshade and Sandalius have formed some sort of unspoken alliance, Arrick thought it’s best for the two packs not to mingle for time being.

Being reminded of Briana still hurts me but not in a way that I’d plunge into a depression or think of killing myself. It is hard being away from her and knowing she’s with someone else. But now I can focus more on my feelings for Arrick than my need for her.

The bond between Briana and I is still there but I’m certain that if I agree to be marked and fully mated, any tie that lingers between us or any special connection that’s still existing between us would be completely severed.

My life in Sandalius is as normal as it could get, considering everything that happened. Some of the wolves from the pack are still a bit cautious to approach me alone and some don't feel comfortable staying in the same room with me. But they’re starting to realize that I wouldn't go savage on them if I get ticked off or something.

I think their change in attitude has more to do with Arrick’s influence than anything else. I still have a long way to go to prove that I’m perfectly sane and absolutely harmless. And although my progress in easing back into the pack is slow, I’m glad no one questions Arrick’s decision in allowing me to stay.

Ma and Pa are more than pleased and happy with my recovery. As I understand, when I turned feral, everyone had given up on my recovery. And after Arrick brought me back from Nightshade, people were insisting it’s kinder to let me go. Even my parents shared everyone’s skepticism in regards to my recovery.

Truthfully, I can't blame them. For a werewolf, turning feral is as good as being dead. But right now, it doesn't matter to them how I recovered, all they care about is that I am well and truly myself again.

When Arrick and I walked out of the forest, hand in hand, nobody could believe it. The warriors on patrol were tense but most were relieved at how things turned out. Darach and Eoin were the first to welcome me back after my parents.

I’m still a bit overwhelmed that Arrick stuck with me until I got better. Nobody had any form of hope that I’d push through except for him. It couldn't have been easy hearing everyone tell him it’s better if I was dead than to allow me to live in the state I was in.

Arrick didn't say it out loud but from the preparations he made while we were at the woods and before we walked out of it, I think he was set and braced himself to stay there with me for a very long time.

I’m still reeling from his bold declaration of ‘wooing’ me. I’m not a woman and something must be wrong with my head because I actually look forward to what he’s going to do. And currently, I am enjoying the novel experience of being ‘wooed’ by Arrick Colson.

Arrick may be popular with the ladies but he is certainly not a romantic, anyone who says otherwise is blindly naïve and needs their heads checked out. But I have to say, his way of winning my favor is unique if not borderline absurd and I freaking love it!

Usually, when you’re wooing someone you send them roses, chocolates or jewelry. You write them poems or love letters, maybe sing a tune or two. You go on long romantic walks, watch movies, go dancing or eat in fancy restaurants. You try to get to know each other on a deeper level and throw in a little seduction here and there just for good measure.

But Arrick did none of that.

What he did was buy spare parts for my truck and cajoled me to spend most afternoons and early evenings cooped up in the garage with him restoring my beat up ride.

Grease, sweat and rust are not sexy but imagine Arrick Colson bare-chested with low riding ripped jeans and sheen sweat coating his well defined arms and ripped upper body, throw in all manners of power tools on his sculpted hands and if that doesn't get your blood pumping and imagination going wild then I don’t what will.

Arrick also developed the habit of waking me up before dawn so we could run and watch the sunrise together. And to fill my days, he asked me to help him and the other warriors train the young ones in combat.

I’ve been spending a lot of time with Devon as well. He’s more attached to me now and I’m glad his previous distant behavior towards me became nonexistent.

Surprisingly, Arrick is not pushing me to take our relationship to the next level. Yes, he’s still trying to seduce me, insistently and relentlessly, but talk about the mating ritual has been put on hold for the time being. I know he wouldn't open the topic unless I bring it up first and so far, I’ve been reluctant to do so.

Meeting my true mate, and falling in love with her without meaning to, opened my mind to a lot of things. I’d be lying if I say that I’m satisfied with my current relationship with Arrick and would be happy if we continue as we are in the future. But all my old fears have doubled, no, tripled since I let go of Briana.

Arrick’s true mate is still out there, somewhere. Who knows if he would meet her tomorrow, the day after that or will they ever meet at all. Nothing is certain but anything is possible.

What I went through after unconsciously acknowledging the bond with my true mate and then trying to sever it completely is not something I would wish on anyone, especially not on Arrick. I’m not saying I’m giving him up when he finds his true mate but I want him to have some breathing room just in case.

We haven’t talked about what happened back in Nightshade and why I chose to do what I did. I’m glad he’s not pushing me for answers right now but eventually, I’d have to tell him everything. If I want us to go further with this relationship we’d have to be honest with each other.

Arrick doesn't seem to be in a hurry either and honestly, I think we’re both enjoying this courtship too much to want it to end so soon.

Another matter that’s been keeping us busy is the sightings of rogues in Sandalius territory. Arrick doubled the number of patrols and urged everyone not to venture out alone or in small numbers, especially within the forest, if they could avoid it.

I have a nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that these rogue sightings have something to do with us. And as much as I would like to share my suspicions with Arrick, I can’t since I have no concrete proof or evidence except for the feeling in my gut.

“You’re tuning off again.” Eoin said, nudging my shoulder lightly with his.

“Oh sorry, do you need me for anything?” I asked.

Arrick is driving Devon to his parent’s house for the weekend so I’m free for a couple of hours. He left specific instructions not to enter the garage and tinker on the truck while he’s out. I can't blame him though, the last time I tried to do some work alone all I managed to do was install the wrong parts. We ended up ordering a new set because I basically destroyed the ones we had on hand by trying to fit them in places where it didn't belong.

“Let’s escape for the afternoon, just the two of us.” Eoin suggested. “It’s been a while since we hung out alone.”

I wanted to remind him about what Arrick said on going out in small groups but I felt a little guilty. Eoin’s right, we haven't spent time, just the two of us, for quite a while. And I haven’t had the opportunity to talk to him lately.

From the way Eoin’s acting I could tell something’s bothering him and maybe if I take him out somewhere outside, he’d ease up enough to share what’s on his mind. I hate for Eoin to think that I’m setting him aside now that things are going relatively well between me and his brother.

“Okay,” I said. “But we have to come back before Arrick does or we’d be in a lot of trouble.”

Eoin nodded excitedly and since my truck is out of commission we agreed to take his car. He quickly handed me the keys and led the way.

I chose to drive around for some time as Eoin filled me in with stories I missed while I was away at Nightshade and while I was not myself. He seems to be his usual happy self but since I’ve known him for a long time, I can tell he’s trying too hard.

“Is there something bothering you, Eoin?” I asked as I took the next turn towards the diner we both frequent from way back.

“I… ah, well…” He stuttered before looking out the window and falling silent.

I reached out and lightly ruffled his hair.

“It’s alright. You don't need to force yourself to tell me.” I don’t want him to feel pressured or obligated to explain himself. “What do you say about stopping for coffee and cake?”

Eoin looked back at me and nodded his assent silently. His silence doesn’t bother me. But if  he has something on his mind that’s bothering him to the point that he has to force himself to act like he’s having fun, then I hope he asks someone for help or at least try to talk about it. It can't be good to stay this way when he’s obviously affected by the issue, whatever it is.

We sat in our regular booth, it’s after rush hour so the diner was practically empty. The waitress took our orders and served two steaming cups of coffee before leaving us alone.

Eoin and I had our drinks in companionable silence. After some time, he gradually eased up. Eoin’s not as stressed when the rest of our order arrived and although we're not talking about anything in particular, I think he’s starting to genuinely enjoy himself.

“Let’s drop by the mall on our way back,” I said after glancing at the clock on the far wall. We have time to spare and it’d be a waste to go back now. “I think the book you wanted is already out, we could check the bookstore if you like.”

“I’d love that, yes.” Eoin answered smiling naturally for the first time this afternoon.

I smiled back and placed a couple of bills on the table before grabbing my jacket. We were about to exit the diner when a familiar scent wafted through my senses.

I quickly grabbed Eoin and pulled him behind me looking for another way out. Aside from the front entrance there was none, but there’s probably a back door through the kitchen area that the staff uses. If I could push Eoin that way he could get away and not get entangled with what’s about to go down.

“What are you doing here, Delaney?” I growled as I watched him approach with wolves that I didn't recognize. I don’t need to scent them to know they’re the rogues who’ve been wandering around the pack lands.

“Is that a way to greet an old friend?” Delaney smirked and eyed me critically. His smile broadened at my tensed reaction to his presence and he continued to walk closer to where we stood.

“You’re banned from entering Sandalius territory.” I said as my mind furiously worked on a plan to get Eoin out of here. “If Arrick finds you and your friends wandering around here, you’re dead. So I suggest you leave right this instant.”

“Do you think I care about what Arrick Colson thinks?” He growled menacingly and I took an instinctive step back taking Eoin with me.

No, I don’t think he does. If he did he wouldn't be here. Damn his stupid hide!

Delaney has always been stubborn to the point of idiocy. Even now, he believes he could overthrow the alpha. If Arrick or any of the pack warriors catches him and his rogue friends hanging around here, there’d be hell to pay

“I heard you’ve been unwell.” Delaney said after some time, trying to find another topic to talk about. I don’t understand why he would even bother.

“What does it matter to you?” I sniped slowly moving Eoin to the direction of the kitchen. “If you recall you put me in the hospital some time ago or have you forgotten that you almost killed me?”

“That was an accident, Caron.” He answered. “You don’t seriously believe I meant to hurt you, right?”

“I don't know what to think when it comes to your behavior, Delaney, and right now I can't bring myself to care.” I said. “But I’m absolutely certain I shouldn't be talking to you like you did nothing despicable to me and the pack.”

Delaney’s face darkened and for a second I thought I’d pushed him too far and he’d blow up but thankfully, he held back.

“Are you going to chase me away too?” He asked slowly, dangerously. “Are you going to fight me, Caron?”

“If I have to, yes.” I answered in an equally menacing tone. “You’ve been exiled from pack lands Del and you’re bringing in rogues while you slink your way back. Your presence here is endangering my family and the pack. So leave!”

The rogues that Delaney brought with him snarled and growled before moving intimidatingly closer. From the line of Delaney’s body I can tell that he has no control over these wolves. They may be running together and coexisting harmoniously for now but who knows how things will turn out later when they achieve what they want.

We have to get out of here. The pack has to be told about this. I don't know what Delaney is plotting but it has to be something vile if he’s willing to ally himself with these shady wolves that he can't even control or trust.

I have no prejudice against rogues. I met a lot of them during my time away from the pack. But most of the ones I encountered were courteous to the pack they’re trespassing on. Some personally chose to be alone rather than run with the pack and I see nothing wrong with that. Most wolves thrive more when they’re part of a community but some prefer the solitude and freedom of being alone.

The ones that Delaney has with him are not from those who enjoy a peaceful and solitary existence. I don't recognize any of them but from their presence I can safely assume that they’ve been kicked out from their former packs after some perpetrating a heinous indiscretion or foul offense.

“As I see it, you’re in no position to make demands, Caron.” Delaney pointed out. “There are five of us and only two of you.”

Eoin growled behind me and I tightened my hold on him to keep him in check. I don't want him to start anything prematurely. Delaney is right we are currently outnumbered and we have to be smart if we intend to get out of this situation alive.

“Do you really think we wouldn't stand a chance against you and your lackeys, Del?” My lips tilted to one side as my eyes met his, blatantly challenging him. “You should know better than to underestimate your opponents.”

I’m confident that Eoin could easily win a one on one fight with any of these freaks as long as it’s not Delaney. It’d be a tough fight but I think I could manage the rest and allow him enough time to get away and call for help. I could stall them long enough until help arrives and even if I don't survive that long, I’d make sure I take some of these bastards to hell with me!

“Impressive, Caron, I’m actually getting excited at the prospect of fighting it out with you.” Delaney said, staring back at me. “But we’re not here to fight, at least not yet.”

I didn’t think twice after hearing that. “Then let Eoin go,” I said.

If I could ensure Eoin’s safety without starting a fight then I’d gladly negotiate with this asshole and give him what he wants.

“Sure. We don't need him anyway.” Delaney answered nonchalantly. “It’s you we’re after in the first place. So if you stay he could go.”

“Done.” I answered without hesitation.

“No!” Eoin screamed, clutching at my sleeve.

“It's okay,” I whispered as I turned to face him. I pried Eoin’s hands off my jacket and pressed the keys on his palm. “Drive fast and don't look back.”

I don’t have any way of giving him instructions without Delaney overhearing. I don't mind sacrificing myself but I have to make sure Eoin makes it back to the pack house.

“But…”

“Eoin!” I snarled trying to prevent him from breaking down on me. We have no time for reassurances or arguments right now. I wiped the tears off his cheeks and gave him an encouraging smile. “I trust you.”

Eoin eyed me anxiously, silently begging me to reconsider but my priority right now is his safety. He’s terrified but he’d be fine, I know it.

“I trust you, Eoin.” I repeated as I walked him to the door. “Now go!”

He let out a painful sob when I pushed him out and the door swung shut behind him. No one dared to stop or follow him. All the wolves in the diner had their eyes trained on me and the only exit in the room now situated behind me. Blessedly, the staff is smart enough to hide and not get involved.

I waited until I heard the sound of screeching tires speeding away before breathing a sigh of relief. Though my focus was set on Eoin’s escape I kept my guard up in case they change their minds and this confrontation turns into an all out brawl, perhaps even a massacre.

“I told you we’re not here to fight, Caron.” Delaney said as he watched me toss my jacket over the nearby table in order to free my hands.

The rogues tensed at my action and started to growl in warning but I ignored them.

“Then why are you here, Del?” I asked, keeping all five of them in my line of sight.

“Someone wants to talk to you,” he answered.

“I don’t think I know any of your new friends, Del. And even if I do, I don't know what they could possibly want with me.”

“Oh I don’t know about that…” He smirked.

A car suddenly pulled up in front of the diner. If the customers come inside they’d be caught in the middle of the fray but I have no way of warning them off. I froze when another familiar scent assaulted my senses, it was as if time stood still as the person slowly approached the entrance. I didn't want to take my eyes off Delaney and his cohorts but I have to see. I have to make sure!

I half turned when the bell on the door chimed, signaling the entry of the newcomer, and gasped at the sight of the last person I expected to see.

No fucking way! What is she doing here? Why would she show herself to me now of all times?

“Hello, Caron.” She greeted haughtily, removing the large sunglasses covering almost half of her beautiful face. “It’s been a while, brother.”

“Catriona.” I breathed out in disbelief.

1