Ch.23: Turbulence
225 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

:: CARON ::

I never thought I’d see Catriona again, at least not at this moment and certainly not under these circumstances. My heart raced at the unexpected sight of my sister. She’s changed. Gone was the sweet and innocent looking girl severely pampered by me and our parents. 

When did she start looking like a hardened woman?

Catriona has always been beautiful. My opinion may be biased, as I am her twin brother, but with her chestnut brown curls, sea-green eyes and winsome smile, Catriona looks more like a forest nymph ready to entrance and entice mortals into the mystic realm to do her bidding. 

Don’t get me wrong, at this time, Catriona is still incredibly gorgeous, perhaps even more than before. Maturity suits her. But Catriona’s once calm eyes have now turned stormy and hard, almost malicious. Even with the gloriously angelic face it was hard to ignore the malevolent glint in her sea-green eyes.

It’s been some time since I last saw my sister. I almost can't believe it!

“Are you really shocked to see me?” Catriona asked with that familiar harmonious lilt of her voice.

“I…” I don’t know what to say or where to begin. It’s been a while since I last saw her. And this unexpected ‘surprise’ caught me off guard. But though I missed my sister, vigilance swiftly rose in my heart.

What is she doing here with Delaney and the rogues? Does Catriona know Delaney has been banished from the pack? Where’s her true mate? Does Sian know Catriona is back in Sandalius and associating with exiled wolves?

“I see you really are in shock.” Catriona chuckled as she walked past me and made herself comfortable on one of the booths before gesturing for me to come. “Sit. We have much to talk about.”

I continued to stare at my twin, unmoving. I mentally slapped myself to get over my sudden stupor. Whatever reason brought her here cannot be good, not for me or for the pack. I hate to think ill of my own sister but Catriona abandoned everything without a second thought. And she did it all in a sneaky, unbecoming way that had us reeling to this day. Catriona cannot be trusted. Sister or not, I cannot be fooled.

Catriona raised an arrogant brow when she noticed I wasn’t inclined to join her. Our reunion is not going as smoothly as she planned and impatience shone in her eyes. Curiously, Catriona did not comment and held back her impatience. She only smiled at me and waited patiently for what I would do next. 

After a moment’s hesitation, I decided to oblige her. For now, aside from humoring her I can’t do much. Catriona with Delaney is very bad news, add in their rogue cohorts and it’s a recipe for disaster. I might as well find out what they’re plotting while waiting for an opportunity to escape. 

“How have you been, Caron?” Catriona asked, smiling sweetly at me. For a moment, I caught a glimpse of the old Catriona. The sister that I know and love. The sister whom I pampered to the high-heavens and couldn’t allow to suffer any form of slight or hardship. The one who toyed with me on the palm of her dainty hands. “It’s been a while since we last saw each other. We have a lot of things to catch up on!”

I unconsciously frowned at her feigned enthusiasm. I’ve been subjected to Catriona’s wiles numerous times but even in her most coquettish moments, I’d never felt uncomfortable as I did today. There’s something about the forced sincerity and fake smile etched on her beautiful face that made my gut twist into painful knots. 

What is she trying to accomplish? What is Catriona’s goal? I worry about what sort of drama she cooked up with these questionable characters that she surrounded herself with. But more than that, something about Catriona’s manner, the way she conducts herself, doesn't feel quite right.

A bout of sadness washed over me as I continued to watch her dismal display. I could easily see through my sister’s carefully crafted façade. Catriona is right. We haven’t seen each other for a while. And I could see that a lot of things have changed. I would have enjoyed this meeting more if I couldn’t see through her ploy. I still don’t know what she’s aiming for but I have a feeling I would not like it, whatever it is.

“What do you want, Catriona?” I asked, suddenly tired. She’d been prattling on about things that happened in the past, things that I do not want or care to remember.

Catriona may have been smiling the whole time she was trying to reminisce with me but her eyes remained shrewd and hardened, like the cold and heartless predator we’re all born as.

“Caron, don’t you want to ask how I am?” Catriona asked, still trying to maintain the amicable facade and desperately trying to get me hooked on her sisterly affection. “Don’t you want to know what I’ve been doing since I was cast away by the pack?”

My frown deepened at her choice of words. Cast away by the pack? Unbelievable! How could Catriona say such things with a straight face? How could she tell such a bare faced lie to me, her own brother?

“You weren’t cast away, Catriona. You left, on your own accord. And in case you forgot, I tried to reach out to you, numerous times, to ask how you are and to see if I could help you. But you refused to see and talk to me. You even denied any association with me.” I answered plainly. I felt the need to set the record straight. The pain in my guts grew worse at the sight of her true nature. “Tell me what you want.”

My sister stared long and hard at me, the look on her immaculate face visibly changed. Catriona finally realized she cannot manipulate me anymore. She realized that I would no longer be swayed by her carefully crafted lies or become blinded by her sweet and innocent smile. But knowing the fact didn’t stop her from trying another tact. 

I wasn’t prepared when she started preying on my guilt, as her brother.

“What happened to you, Caron?” Catriona started, seemingly hurt by my indifference. “You used to dote on me. You used to…”

I don’t want to listen to her harping about the past, about what I used to do and whatnot. I don’t want to be deceived by the illusion of the sweet, innocent sister I created in my head.

I finally understand why most of the pack didn’t approve of Catriona as luna. Were we the only ones blind to this side of hers? Was this the face they’ve all been seeing? How come I’ve never seen nor noticed her acting like this before? How come I never knew my own twin’s shortcomings and defects?

“If you’re not going to tell me what you want,” I grounded out. “Then I’m going to leave.”

I moved to stand but Catriona grabbed my hand. The glare she threw my way cut deeper than the nails she dug painfully on my skin. The rogues that were surrounding the diner growled threateningly at my premature attempt to leave. So it’s up to Catriona to decide when we’re done talking. And from the look they’re giving me, I can safely assume I won’t be going anywhere any time soon.

I sighed heavily and sat back down, pulled my hand from Catriona’s hold. I remained quiet, waiting for her next move, waiting for her to tell me what she came here for so I could tell her to shove it. But today, my twin sister is full of surprises. For the second time, she rendered me completely numb.  

“I want you to smoothen my transition back to the pack.” Catriona declared freezing the blood in my veins.

“Transition?” I asked, completely dumbfounded. She cannot be serious! Catriona would be torn to shreds if she steps anywhere near the packhouse and if the pack finds out she’s planning to come back, there’d be hell to pay!

“I’m returning to Sandalius and I want you to help me.” Catriona said it so confidently, so self-assuredly that my ears started to ring until all I could see was red. It took me a while to gather my senses and rein in my anger.

How dare she think of coming back after the mess she created? After the hell she put everyone through she wanted to return as if nothing happened?

“You know as well as I that I have no such influence within the pack.” I answered barely controlling the rage in my voice. “It’s Arrick and the council’s decision if they want to take you back. Nothing I say or do would sway their judgment in your favor.”

“Oh come now, Caron,” she snorted in derision. “I may have left Sandalius but I still have faithful allies from the pack. A little bird told me that you and Arrick are thick as thieves these days. If you put in a good word for me I’m sure he’d listen and the council would follow his lead as they always do.”

Catriona made it sound so simple, so easy. There was no repentance on her face, no acknowledgement of the wrong she’d done. And the obnoxious look of certainty on her face fueled my anger.

“What makes you think I’d help you after what you did?” I snapped.

I don’t know what she’s plotting but if Catriona thinks she could waltz back into Sandalius and the pack would welcome her with open arms then she has another thing coming.

Catriona’s betrayal is still fresh on everyone’s minds. The pack tolerates our family’s presence because we’ve already proven ourselves. If we help Catriona, our family would be plunged into a maelstrom again. Only this time, it would be worse than the last one. I don't care about what would happen to me but I don't think Ma and especially Pa would survive the chaos a second time.

Arrick may not admit it but Catriona’s betrayal chipped him in a very bad way. That is the reason why he couldn't trust me when Briana came into our lives. He would never forgive me if I took Catriona’s side on this matter.

And Devon… Oh gads, Devon would be confused by all this! Who knows how the child would take this sudden development. Devon doesn’t know the truth and he’s too young to understand. What would he think? How would he feel if hears that his mother wants to come back to the pack and his father wouldn't allow her?

I froze at the thought. How could I be sure that Arrick would never take Catriona back to the pack? We never spoke of my sister since that time before the pack hunt and even then we didn't discuss it in detail because the mere mention of her name between us deeply upset Arrick and it unearthed unresolved issues that overlapped the subject of Catriona. 

What if I’m wrong? What if Arrick could forgive Catriona? What if Catriona could convince him to take her back? What then?

Pain lanced through my heart at the realization that I don't know what Arrick would do if he knew that Catriona wants to come back to Sandalius. We’ve talked a lot about everything but we never discussed the possibility of Catriona coming back. We never discussed Catriona, period.

“So it’s true…” Catriona suddenly gasped, looking at me with disbelief.

“What?” I scowled at her, confused.

“You are fucking my husband!” She screeched furiously, swiping the small flower pot off the middle of the table. “I knew something was off with you! Now I understand why you looked so pained whenever I brought Arrick over, why you avoided hanging out with us and why you never came home after you left for the university. Now everything is clear why you didn't attend our mating ceremony. You filthy creep! I can’t believe it. My own brother! How could you do this to me? Arrick is mine! MINE!”

I flinched at her words. Why does she need to make it sound so vile? How could Catriona make my feelings for Arrick look so cheap and dirty? How could she make me feel so shameful?

I didn’t do anything wrong. I admit harboring feelings for my brother in law is, in some way, churlish and unfeeling in regards to the feelings of my family and my sister. But I never thought of acting on my feelings. I was resolved to hide them for as long I live and I did everything I could to forget Arrick for Catriona’s sake! She was the one who left and abandoned him. I never planned for anything between us to happen. It just did!

But although I know all that, though I could understand it, how on earth could she still make me feel so fucking guilty and dirty?

“This was your plan all along, isn’t it?” Catriona continued looking at me like I was a bug she needed to crush. She’d always been quick on latching on to my feelings. She knew where to hit me and where it would hurt me most. “You were looking for an opportunity, waiting until Arrick’s vulnerable before making a move. You timed your attack perfectly, you rotten son of a bitch! I thought it was odd, why you suddenly came back acting like you care about what’s happening. Now I understand, you were waiting for me to slip up so you could ensnare him! You filthy bastard!”

How absurd! From her words, it appears like I planned it all. In the first place, I didn't want to go back to Sandalius. Arrick was the one who requested for me to come and for a good reason!

“You left the pack, Catriona. No one coerced you to leave so don’t act like you were forced out or that I had something to do with it. For once in your life take responsibility for your actions!” I answered not wanting to hear my own sister demeaning me any more than she already has. “You abandoned your family and lied to your new pack to get their sympathy. Don’t you think it’s time you grow up and stop blaming everyone for your choices?”

The slap she dealt me echoed loudly through the walls of the empty diner. My cheek stung, not from the slap but from the scratches her long nails left on my skin. She broke some layers because I could feel warm blood staining my cheek.

I knew the hit was coming. I could have avoided it, if I wanted to, but I wanted to see if Catriona would actually do it. If she would physically hurt me because I already know that she’s more than capable of emotionally and mentally damaging me.

“Don’t act like you’re better than me, Caron!” Catriona snarled, grabbing a fistful of my shirt and yanking me forward, bringing my face closer to hers. “I don’t know what you did to get Arrick’s attention but don't think I’d let this slide. Arrick would come back to me and I would be luna of Sandalius once again. I don’t care if you're my twin brother. If you get in the way of reclaiming what is rightfully mine, I will kill you!”

I’m not afraid of her threats. I’ve been through hell and back and to be honest, not much scares me anymore. But the thought of losing Arrick to her rankled like no other.

“What does Sian think of all this?” I asked, calmly meeting her hateful glare. I felt her fist tighten on my shirt at the mention of her true mate. “I could smell his scent from you, Catriona. If you’re marked by your true mate and still fully mated to him, I suggest you stop this nonsense right now because you’re going to get seriously hurt.”

“I don't need you to preach, you dirty scoundrel!” Catriona snarled as she shoved me back on my seat and flipped her long curls.

I wanted to retaliate and pay her in kind for her rough treatment of me. But the person before me, no matter how hateful, is still my sister. So instead of planting my fist in her face I contented myself to rest my trembling hands on my lap.

“I’m going to ask you again.” Catriona said. “Are you going to help me or not?"

I looked directly into her eyes before answering, “I will not!”

Catriona continued to glare daggers at me. If this was before, I would have offered her the world in order to pacify her anger. But now, I  only stared, unflinching, back at her.

It’s time I stop giving Catriona everything she wants. It’s time for my sister to face the harsh reality and learn that she cannot have everything. The world doesn’t owe her anything and not everything would go the way she wants. Life is tougher than Catriona thinks and it’s time she realized we’ve all been making it easy for her.

Catriona growled in anger and moved to grab me again but Delaney held her back. 

“We have to leave.” Delaney said, glancing at me before looking back at her. “They’d come for him soon.”

“You shouldn’t have let that bitch, Eoin, go in the first place!” Catriona snapped, shrugging Delaney’s hand off her. “And if Caron’s so fucking important why don’t we kill him now and get it over with?”

“We agreed on a plan, Catriona. Don’t fuck it up!” Delaney snapped back. “You got your answer. Now, let’s go!”

Catriona shoved Delaney back before turning violently at me. “You will regret this!” She growled rabidly. “You will regret going against me!”

Delaney grabbed her arm again. This time he didn’t give her time to shrug him loose. He pushed her forward before following closely behind her. Catriona had no choice but to walk out and leave with the rest of them. I watched numbly as they filed out of the diner. After a few seconds I heard two sets of screeching tires driving away from the parking lot.

They’re gone but still, I didn’t move from the spot where they left me. No, that’s not right. The truth is I couldn't move even if I wanted to. My whole body was trembling badly. I’m not afraid, or anything of the sort, but I can’t stop myself from shaking.

Seeing Catriona was a huge shock. Hearing her harsh words and parting threat were a real eye opener. I knew she could be petty and sometimes a bit jarring when in temper but I never thought she could be downright cruel and bitter.

But my twin sister’s actions and words weren’t what unnerved me. What stupefied me was the realization that I could be wrong in my assumption that Arrick would not want Catriona back in the pack and back in his life.

I believed Arrick when he said he loved me. He more than proved his feelings to me, not just in words but in his actions as well. And I love him to eternity and back. But at the end of the day, Arrick Colson is the alpha of Sandalius pack. And as the alpha, Arrick has certain obligations and responsibilities that he needs to fulfill. I don’t know what they agreed upon when he left Catriona in the care of her true mate’s pack. And when I met Sian, it didn’t seem appropriate to ask him about his standing with Catriona.

I’m not mistaken when I smelled her true mate’s scent on my sister. I couldn’t see the mark on her neck but I know it’s there. If Catriona allowed herself to be marked then that would mean she and Sian completed the mating ritual. I don’t understand why she would want to leave him and why would she choose to go back to Arrick when she willingly and ruthlessly severed the ties binding them together? Does Catriona know what would happen if she leaves her true mate now that they’re fully mated?

If I’d gone feral, when Briana and I barely acknowledged each other, then I can't imagine what Sian would go through if Catriona succeeds in whatever it is she’s planning. And how would that affect her? Whatever game Catriona is plotting, it could only end in misery.

I was so deep in thought I didn't notice when a truck pulled up followed by half a dozen cars.

“CARON! CARON!” Arrick called out as he rushed inside the diner.

I turned my head slowly and shakily stood up when my eyes connected with Arrick’s panic-stricken ones. I didn't have time to blink or register his movements. Within seconds Arrick was before me, holding me close to him and murmuring something I couldn't quite understand.

“Are you alright?” He asked worriedly after a while. Arrick squeezed my shoulders lightly, as if he’s reaffirming himself, before he cupped my face in between his shaking hands. “You have scratches on your cheek. Are you hurt anywhere else?”

I shook my head as he continued to stare at me, scanning my body for injuries. He lightly reached for my hand and brought it close to his chest, above his wildly beating heart.

“Your hand…” he whispered anguished as he leaned closer to me.

“I’m fine.” I whispered, resting my forehead on his shoulder and wrapping my arms around him.

Arrick must have driven like mad to get here. Eoin had to drive for about thirty minutes, at a certain speed, to get back to the pack house. And if my calculation is correct, Arrick took only half that time to get here.

“What were you doing here, Caron?” Arrick growled. I could hear the anger in his voice. Whether it was directed at me, I’m not sure, but what got me was the pain and desperation laced with it. “I was worried when I heard you went out alone with Eoin. And when my brother came back without you, after he told us what happened and what you did, I thought I would go insane! How could you be so reckless?”

Arrick’s hold on me tightened, painfully. I bit my lip to keep myself from whimpering. He’s terrified, I could feel it, and it’s because of me.

“I’m sorry.” I said, burying my face on the hollow of his neck. “I’m so sorry…”

“Damn you!”

Other more insane profanities followed and I allowed him to vent his frustrations by cursing it out. I continued to hold him tightly as he did and even when Darach came in to report that they lost track of Delaney and the others, Arrick didn't let me go.

“You’re not going to go anywhere without me again, do you understand?” Arrick snarled, grabbing the back of my neck and pulling slightly away so he could look deep into my eyes. “And if you ever put yourself in danger like that again I swear I’m going to lock you in a room and never let you out ever again.”

“That’s a bit overboard don’t you think?”

“I’m serious, Caron!”

I smiled and wrapped my arms around him again. At first he resisted as he tried to extract a promise from me but after a while he sighed as his body softened and molded with mine. I could still feel his body trembling. Oddly enough, feeling him close like this canceled and dissipated my confusion. The storm that threatened to rage inside me settled.

How could I have doubted it? Doubted his feelings? Arrick wouldn't want Catriona again. He would never take her back even if she begged or cried tears of blood.

1