Ch.24: The deep breath before the plunge
328 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

:: ARRICK ::

Cold shivers snaked up my spine. I don't know what caused it or where it’s coming from but I could feel something is terribly wrong and I have to get back to the pack house as soon as I’m able.

I acted nonchalant, not to alarm my mother or Devon, and approached my father. Father, of course, saw through me but didn’t comment when I said I needed to leave.

As the former alpha, he still keeps tabs on what’s going on within the pack and so far he hasn't interfered or said anything in regards to my actions and decisions. Even when I decided to stay in isolation with Caron he didn’t pry or meddle.

It bothered me, to some degree, that my father is showing no signs of whether or not he approves of the way I’m running the pack so in passing I tried to ask him if he really doesn't have any issue with what I was doing and how I was handling things.

I saw that my sudden need to seek his approval took him by surprise but he took it in good humor and told me that as alpha those decisions were mine to make, not anyone else’s. Whether or not he approves is irrelevant since I am the one in charge of the pack now. Whether the pack thrives or not is now my burden to carry therefore all decisions are concluded under my discretion.

His response didn’t give me much comfort but before I could walk away he held me back, looked me straight in the eye and said, “If the pack is well and protected then you would hear no complaints from me. I have no issue with whatever course you want to take and the same goes for your mother.”

From the way he was staring at me I realized we were now talking about something else, something not directly related to my pack duties but would affect it in the near future.

It was a hint, subtle but firm and true. My parents knew about Caron. How special he is to me and what position he has in my life. I was meaning to talk to them about my relationship with him but I was waiting for Caron to feel more stable before I start anything that could undoubtedly shake him up.

I was prepared for a long, strenuous talk with my parents. In truth, I was prepared for the worst. Giving up my position as alpha would hurt me but I’m willing to let it go if it meant I’d spend the rest of my days with Caron. But it seems there’s no cause for worry or desperate measures. My father just told me, in no simple terms, that he and mother support my decision to be with Caron.

I am reminded, yet again, of how fortunate I am to have parents who allow me to make my own choices and solve my own problems, personal or otherwise. They raised me with full confidence in my strengths and at the same time made me aware of my weaknesses. They always reminded me that as alpha I have certain responsibilities and limitations but at the same time they never fail to tell me that I am my own person and I have the freedom to build and live my own life.

I still have a long way to go before I could be on par with my father as alpha of Sandalius pack. But after what he told me, I’m now confident that I’m on the right track. I haven’t done anything to shame his name or that of our forefathers. I only have to stand fast and try not to stray in order to honor them.

When I arrived back at the pack house everything looked to be in order. But despite that I couldn’t get rid of the cold shard of uneasiness lodged in my chest. And when Darach informed me that Caron sneaked out with Eoin my slight misgivings turned into full-blown fear.

A string of foul profanities coursed through my head as I stalked outside intent on following them. Darach and I were halfway through the lawn when Eoin’s car wheezed past the drive. And when my brother stumbled out of the car, crying, with no sign of Caron anywhere I knew something bad had happened.

“Arrick!” Eoin cried as he grabbed onto my shirt. “Delaney is back and he brought rogues with him. Caron, he… We have to hurry! They let me go when he bargained he’d stay and do what they wanted.”

My fear doubled at the mention of Delaney. I should have killed that bastard when I had the chance. I was within my rights to do so considering what he had done. But I let him go. Alive. We may not see eye-to-eye most of the time but I still considered him family. 

I thought Delaney would learn his lesson after being banished from the pack but I should have known better. Now he’s back and he brought more threats with him! What’s worse, he’s targeting Caron again. This time if Caron is hurt, in any way, I don’t care if Delaney is family I’m going to fucking kill him!

“Where?” I growled at Eoin.

“Ruby’s…” My brother answered tearfully before burying his face in his trembling hands.

Darach was immediately at his side, his arms protectively around him as he looked at me awaiting my instructions. The situation has changed and if rogues are involved then Darach and I can’t go by ourselves. We need more wolves just in case this turns into a bloody confrontation.

“Gather the warriors and bring the best trackers.” I ordered. “I’m going ahead but don't take too long to follow. We don’t know how long they’d stay there or what they plan to do to Caron. We might have to give chase.”

I didn’t wait for Darach to answer. I trust my beta to know that he’d do what I instructed. I ran the rest of the way towards the garage and speeded off the driveway. All the while praying to the spirits to keep Caron safe.

If I thought the two-hour drive from my parent’s house back to the pack house was the longest I had to endure because of my sudden and baseless fear it’s nothing compared to the half an hour drive, I had to suffer, towards the diner where Caron is alone with my abrasively obsessed cousin and his vicious band of unsavory rogues.

Caron is alone… The thought is enough to send me into a damned frenzy. Caron is alone and surrounded by people who could and would seriously harm him!

Why couldn’t he stay where I left him? Why the fuck did I leave him alone in the first place? I should have taken him with me. My parents wouldn’t have minded his presence and Devon would surely enjoy the company and I’d be with him, alone, a bit longer. I thought the distance would be too taxing for him after what he’d been through. But hell, I shouldn’t have left in the first place! I should have listened to Devon since he wasn’t so keen on leaving either.

I violated dozens of traffic laws during the punishing drive. It would have been faster if I phased and ran on my wolf form. But since the diner is in the middle of an urban area the appearance of a huge and seemingly wild animal would create a commotion and attract unwanted attention.

The parking lot was deserted when I got there and the diner appeared to be the same. I could still smell the scent of rogues wafting in the air. Half a dozen, perhaps more, how in the world did they cross our borders with such a large number without being spotted?

I caught Delaney’s scent once I was close to the entrance and another scent that was oddly familiar but at the same time curiously new.

“CARON!” I called when I didn't see him after I gave the place a quick once over. I knew he was there because his scent was the only one that lingers on the place, strong and fresh. “CARON!”

Caron stood slowly and everything in me froze the moment our eyes locked. I felt more than I saw him and my body automatically moved to where he was.

How did it happen? How could I have missed such a huge thing? Why am I such a blundering idiot? Why is that when it comes to Caron I’m utterly useless?

I had to watch him on the brink of life and death before I could own up to my feelings. I had to lose him to his true mate before I understood it had to be him or no one else. And now, it took another life threatening situation before I realized that he’s everything to me. That without him there’s no point and meaning to anything.

“Are you alright?” I asked, slightly pushing him away so I could look at him properly. I couldn’t help lightly squeezing his shoulders to reaffirm myself that he was really there.

I wasn’t subtle or careful when I crushed him to me but from the way he felt in my arms I could rest easy knowing he’s fine. Physically. But pain can come in different forms and emotional turmoil is what I’m mostly worried about right now.

“You have scratches on your cheek.” Caron’s cheek is sporting a nasty bruise and a line of scratches that for sure didn't come from a struggle or a fight. It’s like someone aimed to hit him on the face and he purposely didn’t dodge or protect himself. Why would he go so far? What the hell happened? “Are you hurt anywhere else?”

He shook his head, no, but I remained unconvinced. Caron is the type to downplay his own injuries. He doesn’t like people fussing over him and he doesn’t like me to worry.

“Your hand…” I whispered harshly when I caught sight of the deep claw marks by his wrist.

My mind is in a whirl. Caron is here, in front of me, he’s safe and relatively unharmed but why does it feel like he’d disappear any moment?

I cupped his face in between my hands so I could take a good look at him. And from the confused and pained look in his eyes I finally understand where my incessant fear is coming from. Something is nagging at him, poisoning his thoughts, and it’s making him feel insecure.

“I’m fine.” He whispered resting his forehead on my shoulder and wrapping his arms around me.

Caron is taking comfort from my presence as I do his. It’s amazing how a simple gesture and a few short words from him could ease up the painfully tight coil in my belly. But I have not forgotten that he disregarded my orders and put himself in harm’s way.

“What were you doing here, Caron?” I growled. I admit I am upset with him but I’m mostly angry with myself. Why am I so powerless when it involves him?

“I was worried when I heard you went out alone with Eoin. And when my brother came back without you, after he told us what happened and what you did, I thought I would go insane! How could you be so reckless?”

I know Caron, even without meaning to, he would do this again. If he’s faced with another situation where he’d have to choose between his or someone else’s safety, he would gladly sacrifice himself. It’s up to me to make sure he’d never have to choose that route again. It’s up to me to make him realize that his safety and wellbeing comes first above anything or anyone else.

I’m probably hurting him with my bone-crushing hug but I don’t care. How could I make him understand? Does Caron realize how important he is to me? What do I have to do to keep him from harm?

“I’m sorry,” Caron whispered as he buried his face in the hollow of my neck. “I’m so sorry…”

“Damn you!” I couldn’t help the string of profanities that flowed out of my mouth. I have no other outlet for the anger and fear that’s been burning inside me. From the moment I heard he left the pack house, unprotected, I’ve been maddeningly terrified.

I held him tighter, closer. When he tried to move because Darach came in to give his initial report I wouldn’t let him. I don’t think I could take being separated from him right now. Any form of distance is not good. I need to feel him close or I’d seriously lose it!

“You’re not going to go anywhere without me again, do you understand?” I snarled, grabbing the back of his neck and pulling slightly away so I could look deep into my eyes. I need to drive the point home even if I have to act like a bully or a villain. “And if you ever put yourself in danger like that again I swear I’m going to lock you in a room and never let you out ever again!”

“That’s a bit overboard don’t you think?” Caron said a hint of laughter in his tone.

“I’m serious, Caron!”

Caron just smiled in response. His eyes were finally clear when he wrapped his arms around me again. I’m still a bit shaken but at least the haunted look in his face when I first arrived is now gone. He’s back to charming me and I’ve learned, not so long ago, that resistance is utterly futile. I wanted to at least extract a promise from him but to hell with it! Right now, I’m just glad that he’s safe and he’s with me.

Caron was quiet on the drive back. He’d tell me what happened at the diner when he’s good and ready so I didn't feel the need to pressure him into talking. But perhaps this is our fucking lucky day. We’ve barely arrived at the pack house when a commotion broke out.

“Sian?” Caron murmured distractedly as he got off the truck and started running towards the crowd.

“Goddamn it! Caron!” He got back from one sticky situation and there he goes again, unthinkingly running on the line of fire. “Get back here, Caron!” I rushed after him. Fortunately in time to grab him before he threw himself in the middle of the fray.

“Let go!” Caron snapped.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” I growled angrily when he tried to shrug me off.

“It’s Sian,” he snarled, pointing at the guy in the middle of the commotion surrounded by some of the pack’s warriors. “They’ve mistaken him for a rogue. We have to help him!”

“Who the hell is Sian?” I snarled back.

“Catriona’s true mate!”

I stiffened at that. “How do you know?” I asked. I never got the chance to get a good look at Catriona’s true mate or meet him face to face. When we charged to their pack’s territory the alpha refused, point blank, to allow me to see them. 

If the man wandered in our pack’s territory, alone and uninvited, it’s only natural that he’d be treated as a rogue. But if he is who Caron said he is, then what the fuck is he doing here?

“I’ve met Sian before. I’ll explain later.” Caron answered. “Please, tell the pack to back off. He’s probably here to look for Catriona.”

Why the fuck would he look for Catriona here, of all places, when she’d been living with him for the past months? Unless…

“Catriona was at the diner with Delaney and the rogues.” Caron stated, unconsciously answering my unvoiced question.

So Catriona was the reason why Caron looked so damned haunted when I found him. She must have said or done something to spook him.

“You and I are going to have a long talk later.” I frowned, glaring at him.

“I know,” Caron sighed in resignation before pointing towards the crowd, urging me to go before a riot breaks out. “Now, please…”

I grinded my teeth and walked slowly through the throng of people. Once the pack realized I was in the vicinity everyone calmed down and made way for me to pass.

“I’m Arrick Colson, alpha of the Sandalius pack.” I declared once I was standing a meter away from our ‘guest’. “Who are you and what business do you have in my land?”

Technically, the man and I haven’t met. Although Caron filled me in as to who he is and why he’s here, it’s better to pretend that I don't know anything about him or his purpose for coming uninvited.

“I’m not a rogue, alpha. My name is Sian Reeves, pack member of Duskfall.” He answered respectfully, closely watching my reaction.  “You’ve met my alpha, Mason Reeves, a couple of months ago.”

Sian may appear meek and timid but behind the unassuming facade is a very sharp and calculating eye. He’s from the type of people that I hate dealing with most. Quiet and cunning doesn’t sit well with me, to be brutally honest. He’s trying to see if I’d recognize him or his name and make the connection with Mason or Catriona.

My lips tilted up to one side and I inclined my head in wonder. The little shit knows how to play fish. Interesting. But two can play this game. Since he didn’t offer more information, I remained impassive and neutral. No need to get excited and give him what he wants right off the bat. 

Frankly, I want him gone and off my land but Sian could have pertinent information as to why rogues are trespassing on my land. It’s highly plausible since his mate is running with them. And I doubt he doesn't know that Catriona is with the rogues. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be here trying to recruit help that I’m pretty sure his own alpha was reluctant to give.

Sian would give me a lot of problems, I could feel it, and as much as I’d like to turn him away or leave him to his own devices, after I get the information that I want, I wouldn’t be able to. Why? Because Caron is glaring at me from the edge of the crowd as if he could read what’s on my unruly mind.

“Yes, I do know your alpha.” I said looking away from Caron and locking my eyes with Sian’s. “Why don't we step into my office and discuss why you’re really here, hmm?”

From the look in his eyes, Sian realized that I found him out. But instead of panicking, he barely twitched or gave any indication as to what’s going through his head.

“Of course alpha,” he said meekly. “Lead the way.”

I’ve got to hand it to this guy. He’s almost as good at bluffing as me and I’m the best poker player in this side of the state. I signaled for the crowd to disperse and they did so without a hitch. We stood there, our gazes still locked, until everyone was gone and only the four of us remained.

“Caron!” Sian chirped happily at the sight of Caron and moved to step toward him but I blocked his path. There is no way in hell I’d let him close to Caron considering the circumstances.

“My beta would show you to my office.” I said, trying hard not to snarl at him for being overly familiar with Caron. “Please wait for me there.”

Darach wordlessly came forward and motioned for him to follow. Sian looked questioningly at me and then at Caron before moving beside Darach.

“What the hell?” Caron burst out once they were out of earshot.

“I could ask you the same question.” I answered, raising a brow at him. “How long have you known him and how many times have you met?”

“Not long and this is the second time we personally met.” He answered, puzzled by my sudden change of mood.

“He’s acting too friendly for a second meeting.” I snorted.

Caron’s eyes bulged. I was afraid they’d pop off it’s sockets. “Oh for crying out loud! You can't seriously be jealous of him.” He exclaimed. “Are you?”

“What if I am?” I snapped. “He’s bad news, Caron. I don't want you associating with him any more than necessary so stay away from him.”

“Are you really jealous because of me or…?” He whispered, turning his face away.

“Huh?” I can't believe he’d ask me something like this. “Why else would I get jealous if not for you?” When his eyes met mine again I swear I could almost hear and see that nasty image plaguing his head.

“God damn it, give me a fucking break!” I groaned, running a hand through my hair and lightly pulling at it. I understand that Caron’s doubts are bred by me but seriously? “I don't know what your sister told you but you better get your head straight. I mean it!”

“I’m sorry. I just…” he started. His voice was trembling and I could see tears forming in the corner of his eyes.

I grabbed him and held him tight. “What  else do I have to do to prove to you that I love you?” I asked softly. “Tell me what Catriona said so I could tell you she’s wrong and then maybe you’d start trusting me again.”

“I do trust you!” Caron cried burying his face on my chest.

I know he does. But I also know that he can't help feeling insecure. I have to nip all Caron’s doubts from the bud. If I grow lax, even for a second, and allow any to take root I might lose him for good and I don’t want that. Never.

“Caron, you’re stalling.” I whispered, gently running my hands slowly on his back. “Tell me.”

Caron breathed in deeply before answering, “Catriona wants to return to Sandalius and she wants me to make it happen.” His hold on me  tightened before he continued with, “She told me you’re hers and…”

I could feel the front of my shirt getting wet as Caron’s body shook from repressed emotions. I don't need to hear the rest to know what was said during that particular conversation.

I don’t know what got into Catriona’s head, why she suddenly decided to come back to Sandalius and what made her decide to set her sights on me again. Frankly, I don't fucking care! What I do care about is what Caron said and did when she said those words to him.

“And what was your reply?” I asked slowly, holding my breath, unconsciously pulling him closer..

“No.” Caron answered firmly and just like that, everything was right in my universe again.

“Good.” I wanted to whoop and jump for joy but I settled for something better. I crushed my lips to his and kissed him senseless.

I know we’re on the lawn, in full view of the pack house and probably being watched by a dozen pairs of eyes but who cares? The pack would have to get used to this kind of sight sooner or later because I intend to kiss Caron frequently in the future.

We were both out of breath when I decided it’s time to let him off, for now.

“Arrick, I…” Caron started a bit dazed and highly aroused. I have to say it’s a beautiful sight.

“If you told her yes, I’d be seriously pissed off.” I said, tracing the line of his face as I dropped light kisses all over his face. “I don’t want Catriona or anyone for that matter. I only want you. You better get it through that stubborn head of yours because once you give me the green light nothing would stop me from claiming you as my mate.”

His breath hitched and I couldn't help but laugh. Caron should know our mating would eventually happen.

“Being mated to me won’t be that bad, I think.” I smirked playfully. “I love you and you love me so I think we’d be fine, for the most part. I could be bullheaded sometimes but I think that just adds to my charm, don’t you think? Besides, you have the temper to keep me in line. I have a son that I know you adore and it’s a plus that he totally worships you. I think all bases are relatively covered, don’t you?”

“Is this you proposing to me?” Caron laughed for the first time today. I suddenly felt lightweight and giddy.

“Maybe.” I gave him another gentle and lingering kiss because I couldn’t help myself. “Stop thinking about complicated things, Caron. How long do you intend to make me wait? Let me warn you, I don't know how much longer I could hold back.”

“But what about…” Instead of allowing him to continue jabbering bullshit I silenced him with another kiss. When he tried to utter nonsense once more, I kissed him again.

Ha! I could do this all day but unfortunately I have pressing matters to attend to. Sian is still in my office, waiting. Damn!

“Let’s continue this talk later.” I said, reluctantly letting him go. “I’m going to see what Sian wants from us, then you’re going to tell me everything that happened in the diner. We'll see where we go from there after.”

Caron nodded and we moved towards the pack house.

“Caron, I’m serious. Stay away from Sian.” I said before we stepped inside. “I don't trust him.”

He wanted to argue but I stared him down. I can see he didn’t like it but in the end he sighed and gave in.

I don't know why. I’m sure Sian Reeves is a nice enough guy, given the chance. But I could feel something was not right with him. And until I know exactly what, I don't want him anywhere near Caron.

2