Chapter Two: Retinues
752 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I am one of the most loyal followers of your devotee, Alphor." Manuel explained, as he and I began to walk out of the food court. He studied me as he spoke, his eyes following me and fixating on me with a sharp intensity and a fanatical devotion. 

"I am known, among the small sect of followers that Alphor has gathered in the hopes that one day you would appear and make yourself known to him, as 'The Merchant'. That is due to my area of expertise; all economic matters from policy to the acquisition of whatever is asked of me." 'The Merchant' informed me, with a proud smile. As he spoke I learned more about Alphor, including the fact that the man had created a faction of followers to present me with. 

We were now fully out of the food court, and in the middle of a large hallway that connected to the university's bookstore, a cafe, a small grocery store, and rooms for student clubs and faculty meetings. The place was filled with people, but Manuel spoke in a soft alien language that was almost inaudible to the humans around us. As we moved I glanced at the humans walking around us and noticed that none of them seemed to care for us or find us interesting. Good. That was the way I wanted it. 

"I see... So Alphor has been hard at work has he?" I asked, in good humor. Manuel chuckled and nodded at me. 

"The good man has been actively working to gather servants and worshipers to present to you since your ancestors vanished. He was one of their more loyal servants, and as a reward for his labor before their extinction one of them utilized their 'Master' power to give him 'Meta-Immortality' which has allowed him to survive trillions of years despite his status as a mortal. That only further ensured his loyalties, which is why even now he is surely reacting to your emergence with jubilation." Manuel revealed, altering me to the existence of two powers which I possessed, and making me smile.


In the same back-corner of my mind where knowledge of my powers resided, I felt more powers reveal themselves. The first of which, "Meta-Immortality" was a fun but relatively simple power. It granted me the sort of invincibility and immortality one would think that supreme deities would have, though... the truth appeared to be more complex, since my ancestors appeared not to have possessed that power, since I was, as far as anyone seemed to know, the last of my kind. The second power that Manuel unintentionally revealed was far more intriguing. 

The "Master" power was an unbelievably potent one that allowed me to bestow powers I possessed on those who either agreed to serve me or were allied with me. With it I could share any of my powers to any degree, and incredibly importantly, revoke them at will. This power meant that even at the moment I could offer someone true immortality, unbelievable psionic power, the ability to understand all languages, or a plethora of other abilities such as super speed and flight. What a remarkable, life-altering power to possess...


"Of all of the followers Alphor gathered I was the one honored with greeting you first, oh lord inheritor." Manuel explained, even as he reached into one of his pockets and pulled out what appeared to be a small, toy car to present to me. That said, despite its appearance the very second I saw the thing I knew what it was, a sort of never-before-seen "Perfect vehicle". 

He handed the thing, that looked like a tiny toy, to me with joyous tears in his eyes. And then he began to speak once more, eager to inform me of the details of the machine in my hands.

"Lord inheritor, this is the first gift that I, and the people of Atlas Incorporated, have designed for you. It is a perfect vessel, designed by fusing the remnants of 'Living god' technology with mythical ancient technology to be capable of shapeshifting and taking on forms that can travel on land, in air, through space, on and underwater and other liquids, and is outfitted with technology to make it larger on the inside than it is on the outside, as well as a plethora of other, exciting features." The man explained, his eyes lighting up as he spoke about the potent vessel he had just given me. And as I looked at it I gained an even more intimate understanding of it than he possessed, due to the potent effects of "Worldmind". 

"This vehicle... I can sense its power. What a truly remarkable gift." I remarked, as I stared at the incredible vessel I had just been given. The machine in my hand was infinitely more complex than anything the humans of this Earth had ever designed.  

"Oh lord inheritor, you deserve far more than this, but... I am pleased that you appear to like it." He explained, even as I gazed at the thing. The "Toy-car" in my hand radiated power to one as sensitive to such things as I was, thanks to the potency of "Worldmind". The longer I studied the thing the more I came to understand it, my potent "Visual psychometry" power putting in the work to unpack the incredible miracle that was this machine. I suddenly looked up at Manuel and activated "Subtle", but only after targeting him and ensuring that the power would apply to him as well. When I did that he suddenly sensed his presence thin and disappear in the eyes of the students, staff, and faculty walking around us.

"Manuel... This is a potent gift you have offered me. I recognize that." I began, even as my eyes began to glow with resplendent power, and as I felt potent powers awaken in the back of my mind, further gifts seemingly given to me by my unconscious mind as a celebration of me behaving as powerfully as gods could. Manuel smiled at me as he heard my words. 

"I am still unsure of how to behave as gods should, but I feel that in recognition of your efforts there must be a suitable reward. One that befits your status as one of my first servants. And so I shall do something equally remarkable. I shall share with you a potent power." I teased, smiling as I spoke.


In the back of my mind, my unconscious self awoke three of the powers lurking within me. Each of them was aglow in the corner of my conscious mind where all powers sat and resided, awaiting vibrant and life-affirming use. 

The first was "Metamagnus", a potent, arcane ability that conferred to me true, unlimited mastery of magic and the arcane. With it I was a true deity of magic, with a keen awareness of all magic in existence and an ability to freely utilize any and spells unlimitedly. This was also the first power I possessed that granted me lordship over the thing I had just earned power over, to the point that I could fully neutralize magic used by other people. 

The second was "Power Architect", an unusual ability that allowed me to grant myself powers and superpowers as well as allowed me to grant others powers and superpowers as well. The true key to this power was that with it I could edit someone else's powers and superpowers as well as nullify them, amplify them, and modify them in a staggering array of ways. 

The third power to awaken within me was "Ex Nihilo", the power that as far as offensive abilities went was far and away the single most potent power I possessed. With it... I could unmake anything I pleased, and destroy things, even whole pleniverses, with but a thought. That power was a dark, destructive one that I knew could be used creatively, such as to destroy diseases or death, but the power itself seemed to hunger for the living and for creative things. I felt a potent rush of dark urges, but I was the master of myself and could easily resist them, and as I did so I swore to be cautious with this power.


"I shall bestow upon you the means to serve me further and more effectively. In my capacity as a true 'Master', Manuel Mondragon, I grant you a vestige of my power, the ability to be truly and undefeatably immortal, so long as you worship and serve me. And also... a pair of extra gifts, a copy of my 'Power Matrix' ability so that you may immediately master your newfound powers to incredible degrees. Finally... You may possess a copy of my 'Planeswalker' power." I told the man, even as my skin began to glow radiant light, and bathed him in holy, purifying radiation. His eyes widened and he fell to his knees before me, tears beginning to stream down his handsome, noble face.

"With my 'Planeswalker' power you are able to more effectively do my bidding. Distance will mean nothing to you, nor will obstacles such as languages, or differing cultural values. Instead, you shall be able to serve me as effectively as you can, and shall serve me, eternally." I revealed, aware that he had the same desire as Alphor, to serve and worship the last living god, due to my psychometric abilities. 

"Lord inheritor..." He muttered, tears streaming down his face. His handsome, elegant face was unsuited to tears and yet the man was able to make even the act of crying a handsome one. A small part of me felt a twinge of jealousy. I turned inward and pulled the the black bank card I possessed out of my inventory and chuckled, as I utilized my potent psychic powers to create a duplicate of the thing that floated in the air before Manuel and I. 

"Manuel... I know why Alphor chose you to join my retinue. He valued your economic abilities. And so, I shall trust in the value he placed on you. I am giving you a minor version of the black artifact that Alphor gave me as a symbol of my inheritance." I began, even as I activated "Mentifery", a potent psionic ability that allowed me to alter reality with a thought. I focused on the copied card and altered it so that all it could do was reach into the cosmic stores of wealth that were given to whosoever would arise that would inherit the legacies created by the first Living Gods. 

"Lord Inheritor... What a great honor you are giving me. I shall endeavor to be worthy of it." He whispered, astounded by what he saw as a generosity and good faith, which I knew to be not the whole truth. My potent psychic powers alerted me to the realities of his skills as a merchant and economist. He was skilled enough to increase even the potent wealth I possessed, and I intended to put the man to work doing just that. As he spoke he stood up, and touched the card in the air between us, taking a moment to recompose himself as he did so. And then he turned to face me, intently, fanatically. 

"Master... Allow me to continue to inform you of the retinue you possess, as befits your status as the scion of the Living Gods. Alphor created a small cult to you, thanks to his faith and knowledge that someday you'd appear. He gathered skilled professionals from across the omniverse and he converted each of us to his faith, a sect of faith in the Living Gods many historians thought wiped out in the wake of their apparent extinction." Manuel began, even as I deactivated "Subtle" and allowed us to be seen by the people around us. 

"There are several individuals who have joined Alphor's small cult and each of them is as intensely devoted to you as I was when we first met. They are all awaiting a chance to introduce themselves. For the sake of figuring out which of them would be useful to introduce first, may I ask what sort of living conditions you are living in, at the moment?" The merchant asked, his eyes taking on an inquisitive look, and gazing at me sharply. I chuckled and readied myself for the reaction I knew my next remark would incur. 

"I am living in a college dorm. A sort of... shared housing situation." I informed the man, causing his eyes to widen in shock and disbelief. 

"My lord... That will not do! You deserve to live in luxury! In... palaces the size of countries, and attended to by the finest servants, courtesans, and worshipers. Not with lesser beings!" He proclaimed, thankfully speaking in a language alien to Earth. He wasn't done either.

"I... Unsurprisingly, I think that 'The Attendant' would be the best person to introduce next. Her and 'The Herald'. Yes... Cecilia and Ortholox would be good fits for your next companions. Let us... walk somewhere more private." He explained, cryptically. We did that by spending a minute wandering over to an empty room, one that wasn't scheduled to be in use until much later in the day. The room, intended for club meetings, came complete with an excellent, long table and I positioned myself at the end of it, sitting down and gazing at my servant. Manuel positioned himself a few seats away from me, and then uttered the same two names he had uttered before, but more powerfully. 

An instant later I was delighted to see a young woman with stunning blonde hair and a large, muscular man in a butler's outfit appear in the seats on my right and left respectively. They both gazed at me, admiringly, taking in the divine aura I now emanated. And then they nodded, deeply, almost bowing but not able to since they were seated. 

"Good morning Lord Inheritor!" Cecilia whispered, energetically. She was "The Attendant", a sort of head-maid and chief of staff for my household and eventually for my servants. 

"My master... I greet thee, respectfully." Muttered Ortholox, in a surprisingly old-timey accent, and surprisingly, in human English! He was an enormous, muscular man who was known as "The Herald", a sort of potent escort and muscle who served me by looking for threats to my person, and had skills that allowed himself to both be and appear especially intimidating. He was also a skilled driver and pilot. 

"Lord Inheritor... These two are members of the cult that Alphor created. They aspire to serve you in any and every capacity you wish for them to do so." Manuel explained, grinning brightly at me as he did so. 

"Ortholox is a fascinating and professional butler who is also a trained security expert. He is also one of the few members of your retinue who is fully human, though not from Earth. He will serve you as a bodyguard, though such a role is largely unnecessary for one with your power so it might be more accurate to say that he exists to keep you from being bothered by enemies, butler, and driver. Cecilia is both a maid and a cook, and an instructor of servants, who is here to make sure your lesser servants serve you to the utmost of their abilities." Manuel explained. I chuckled and smiled at the two, before turning to Manuel and sighing.

"Manuel, as pleasant as this is, and as thrilled as I am to have a maid and a butler," I began. I wasn't lying either, my life until this point had been one where the threat of abject poverty constantly loomed in the background. "I don't have space, or the need for a maid and a butler." I explained. That made Manuel smile. 

"Yes my lord, I know you live in a 'Shared housing situation'. But... that is going to change. You are a living god, it would not be wrong to say that there are entire civilizations out in the cosmos who view you as the sole figure in existence deserving to rule over the totality of existence. You deserve more than to live in a dorm." The man explained, his eyes twinkling brightly. 

"I intend to go out later today and find you housing that is as close to worthy of your station as possible. I shall go out and purchase a mansion for you. And a mansion demands things like a private staff." Manuel proclaimed, causing me to pause and take in the weight of his words. Ortholox and Cecilia smiled at me, delighted to have had a chance to see me take in a surprise. 

15