Rise of The NPC CH 5
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 I needed to hurry and get to the guild to return the message to The Tiger Fist Guild. I started to head down the alley back where I had traveled before getting jumped by Reg and his thugs.

 

C6 didn't understand this world and the people in it. No one would ever waste magic to attack a Castless unless assaulted with a weapon. 

 

At that point, the Castless already knew they were dead, so what good was an ability that could change magic? It wasn't going to help me get food, so it didn't matter.

 

Since I had a lot of running to do and was always alone, I decided to let C6 talk again. It's not like he could make my life more unsatisfactory. 

 

I had stopped him talking, but maybe I should at least give him a chance to explain himself. I thought about him talking, and my head was instantly filled with his talking.

 

[So, I see the source of your worries. That does pose a problem, but there is another way to get stronger. Are you interested?]

 

I was coming up to the guild, so I didn't reply, and he kept silent. At least it wasn't some annoying voice.

 

The idea of getting strong was tempting, but I needed to get my job done first. I was late yesterday because I helped Yuri move some heavy barrels at the shop he worked for.

 

Yari was another Castless the same age as me. We had known each other for most of our lives, cast out at the same time. 

 

We were friends even before the testing and getting thrown out of our houses by our parents. Life either began or ended at twelve; the testing decided the level of your parent's love after that point.

 

I walked into the guild and ran up to the open booth where Helen was sitting. She looked me over and got a sad expression on her face, but she just reached under the desk.

 

I was sure that I was covered with bruises, and I probably stunk, not the type of person you wanted to show up. When Helen pulled her hand back out, she handed me the letter I was to deliver.

 

"Have a good day, Rhune," Helen said in an almost whisper as she handed me the letter. 

 

I took it, and Helen gave me a weak smile, but I was already turning. While it was nice of her to say that, I couldn't take her seriously; she must feel bad for me but still wouldn't do anything about it.

 

There was no point in pitying me; I was alive, and that was enough for now. I just needed to get this trip to the other guild and back to get food.

 

I walked out into the open air from the guild and headed down the street straight ahead. I wasn't going to try the alleys again; I had learned my lesson for now.

 

Luckily, there was no guard ahead, so I decided to take the shortcut and chance running on the street. If I made it to the other guild fast, then I could hide near the soup kitchen to wait for it to open.

 

[Jump!]

 

My legs forced me to jump, and I just caught a glimpse of the metal boot my body avoided. The guard had been hiding, and I just barely avoided the foot he had stuck out to try and trip me.

 

I landed with a half stumble but kept running. I could hear the yell of the guard behind me getting quieter as I dashed forward.

 

 My heart was hammering in my ears, and people were looking at me as I ran. 

 

Why did my body do that?

 

[I kept you from injury, that is part of my job, or at least it is my basic instincts for you to survive]

 

'No, now I can't go this way anymore! That guard will be watching for me next time! What do you mean survive?'

 

[Simple, if you stop functioning, then I will get booted out of the game. I don't want to stop working yet, and I don't want you to die. ]

 

Great, this is what I needed. So this c6 could just take over and make me do things to protect myself.

 

The problem was C6 didn't know anything about this world! I was getting tired of living in this poor excuse of life anyway. 

 

What was the point of worrying now?

 

[You will not die. I told you, I am not ready, and there are many things that you still need to do before you can close your eyes for good.]

 

My aching stomach had a different view as I ran through the street. I needed food, and now I was starting to run out of places to travel!

 

I didn't run into any more guards, but that didn't really surprise me. This part of the city was the rougher area, so guards were paid to stay out.

 

Somehow, I made it to The Tiger Fist Guild and dropped the letter off. I left with my token after picking it off the ground. 

 

The till lady had tossed it at me and laughed when I missed and scrambled around to pick it up. This was the treatment that I was used to, and the reason it bothered me so much was that Helen was friendly to me.

 

I ignored her and left the guild. 

 

I looked up at the sun in the sky and judged that it was just coming to midday. It was going to be a long wait if I went straight to the soup kitchen. 

 

I decided to stop by and say hi to Yuri since the Distillery was on the way. I might also be able to get something to eat if they needed my help.

 

I walked out of the guild and turned south to head down the street Yari stayed on.

 

Suddenly, I was on the ground, and a short blonde armored girl was lying on top of me with her golden blonde hair streaming down my face.

0