Chapter 55: Jua Umeme
26 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The main reason Mwana and Kia were planning to visit the library was due to its reputation. Milele with its 500 year history had one of the most well equipped and excellent libraries in Toro. The last time Mwana was here in Milele, he had been accompanying his father and was too young to even think about books. However, now he was more curious to explore the famed library.

Hearing their plans, Umeme decided to explain everything to the two children.

“You just cannot waltz into the main library. On top of that, if you want to borrow books one needs Silver Merits or Special Tribal Merits.”

The silver merit rewards Umeme was talking about were earned by serving your country in some way. Umeme explained that before the age of 28, every citizen was required to serve the country for at least 2 years in fields such as the military support units, policing units, social services, health services, government sponsored education.

“28? I thought it was 30.” Kia who was currently holding on to Umeme’s arm and tracing the latter’s tattoos could not help but ask. To kids like them, these tattoos were truly fascinating especially as they would crackle with faint sparks of electricity when touched.  

Umeme just ignored the actions of the clingy girl and answered her question, “New day new rules. They just changed things again about a month ago. I don’t know why though. Do you think it is to insult us 30 year olds? Are we considered old now?”

“Yes,” Mwana could not help himself after which he promptly got a knock to his head.

In terms of tribal merit rewards, they were earned by contributing to your clan or tribe in a major way. An example was Waya’s actions where he used his smarts to prevent extensive damage to the Jua Village by redirecting flooding river waters. As the Jua clan was the weapon production division of the Jemedari tribe, Waya’s actions indirectly contributed to the entire tribe.

“That incident alone earned him so many merit points that no gold or silver can compare. After all, for warriors there are many things that cannot be exchanged for with just gold and silver.”

“Is what Waya did so impressive?”

Hearing Mwana’s question, Umeme had an incredulous look on her face. She could not help but think that, ‘these kids really do not understand the value of merits at all’. However, she still explained the point to Mwana in a simple and clear manner, “Slaying monsters like Amanani is no big deal. Anyone with sufficient strength could do it but not just anyone could redirect flooding river waters. That is even harder to do especially in the mountainous region where our village is located. You also have to realize that Waya did all that within a short time amidst crisis! Not even the elders knew what to do back then despite their strength. During such times most people cannot even think straight let alone come up with complex plans.”

After explaining everything to the two, Umeme left the scene to do her own business. She was an adult after all so she wasn’t here for sightseeing like the children. However, before parting from the two children, Umeme gave them a card with some merits stored within it. “Remember, you can only borrow 4 books. As for the rest, just try reading them within the library as much as possible. Only borrow what you feel is absolutely necessary.”

Once Umeme left, the two children realized they were the only ones remaining at the scene. The original crowd had long dispersed as the fog slowly disappeared with the rising morning sun.

“We don’t have anything to do right now so we can just go eat then visit the library. Later in the afternoon I have to accompany Aunt Jumatatu for family business. Apparently, she is thinking about opening up a shop here.” Mwana had free time now but later in the day he would have to tag along with his aunt to inquire about rental locations and prices in the town.

“Then if there is nothing else to do, let's go explore around and find some food. I’m famished!” While grabbing Mwana’s hand, Kia continued, “…to get our minds off death and tragedy” and followed with a trembling motion of her body to show her shock. They had just arrived in Milele yet the first thing they stumbled onto was a serial killing case.

After grabbing Mwana’s hand, Kia proceeded to pull the latter towards the inner parts of the district but Mwana did not budge. With a pout, Kia turned around to question the boy, “Let's go. Didn't you tell me that you would show me around the town?”

However, Mwana was too shocked to move. If one could see an X-ray of his head, they would probably realize that his brain had experienced a short-circuit, "She is holding my hand! Kia is holding my hand! We are holding hands, holding hands, holding hands, ....” It wasn't until Kia ran her fingers through Mwana’s face that he returned to reality.

“Are you still sleepy or something?” Seeing Kia ask this with a clueless but concerned look, Mwana could not help but internally berate himself. He could only crack a joke to calm himself down.

“I hope you don't want to go to a fortune teller again," Mwana said in a sneaky tone remembering the last time they visited a fortune telling shop in Jua village.

In response, Kia only gave him ‘the look’ before pulling him harder that he almost stumbled and fell. However, Mwana was ‘smart’ and prepared so he went along with the momentum, pulling ahead of Kia and dragging her with him hand in hand.

“Milele, here we come!”

 

No new words or terms.

Shortest chapter I have done in a while.

Next Chapter is on Monday

1