9. Their Glory
195 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

A suitor is a jerk. Is what she learned.

Her eldest brother was right. They are ill-mannered people coming to take the family treasures! 

It came to them a week after the inspection and while her father left for the royal capital of all times. The son of a neighbouring territory lord older than her by a year. His father, The Honourable Viscount Bragg is a vain irritable man who kicks up a fuss every time the Obsidian knights march using the highway.

Today Sterne assumed he was there for another complaint but boy, she was terribly wrong.

The said highway is magically reinforced infrastructure from generations ago. Because the highway touches a fraction (half a kilometre of Bragg territory, a reasonable distance by anyone's opinion) the viscount always finds something to complain about disturbance and such.

Her father paid him no mind but her brothers had been itching to take a try at him. It pains Sterne to think that her beautiful father has to deal with that horrid kind of a man. 

What silenced the repulsive viscount was a document given by the king that states that the highway was a gift from the dwarven race to the Ducal House of Nachtwalf for generations. The road can be considered a private business.

A business they earned no profit from, or so she thought.   

According to Sir Ahmose, the viscount intended to send one of his sons to settle the dispute. A matter her father and brothers have completely no knowledge about. The letter he sent was addressed directly to the head butler in which he hoped he could gain approval from. Choosing the time where the duke and his sons were away he hoped that the matter would finish quickly.

He was pushing these ties one-sidedly, giving Sterne all sorts of headache. It turns out that he wanted a percent from the profit collected from the highway. Since the king settled the issue his plan of extorting gold from them turned to dust.

"You must know, I have intentions to be engaged to a destitute ugly girl like you!"

Currently, there's a wailing boy standing in front of her. If Sterne hadn't taken a break from her sword practice she wouldn't be able to notice him. Dressed lavishly in fur and satin stockings despite the crisp hot weather, he stood imposing with his nose up high in the air.

Right now the brat looked towards her with a sour face.

"By all means refuse." Sterne answered by pushing his finger away from her face with the tip of a practice sword.

"If I were to be engaged it would rather be with Lady Regina, the Delicate Flower of Aurea. Surely you heard of her, no?"

Sterne rolled her eyes secretly. Apologies sir, the name has never reached these ears. What engagement was he talking about anyway? He thought that the flimsy letter his father sent had any merit. Sir Ahmose had long thrown it on the hearth after skimming through all five pages.

"Nah-uh." Sterne shook her head. "I've never been to Aurea much less know this person you speak of."

"Huh, that's why you're a boring country bumpkin. You live in a shabby house wearing shabby clothes. Who would expect you to travel as far as the Royal Capital? It would please everyone if someone like you just stays here and does not come out."

Sterne thought, if she slugged this creature now, would her father get in trouble? Her ears stung just listening to this uncute beast with curly hair and big teeth. She had this mad urge to pick her injured ears and she would very much love to pommel his face with her fist. Sir Ahmose was very proud of her martial skills. Might as well try it? 

Urg, but as the daughter of Duke Aldebrand Nachtwlad she endured because her tutor, Miss Amy Erlenmeyer, is watching like a hawk by the salon window.  

"If you're done with your business then let us call it a day. I am sure someone boring like I is not worthy of your time and as you can see I still have to practice swordplay."

Plus, Sir Ahmose looks like he is about ready to lop the brat's head off if he insisted on insulting her further. She was actually trying to save his life. 

"Swordplay?" The brat sneered. "You're out of your mind. No proper lady would pick up sticks to play. One should be adept in aesthetics, language, poetry, arts and etiquette."

"If the young sir had such a strong opinion, then I assume you are excellent in your own field? A man should have an astounding ability when it comes to horseback riding and swordsmanship."

"Of course!" 

Sterne smiled then saluted, "En garde." 

"Hii~" The viscount's son fell hard on his buttocks seeing her posture ready to engage. 

"I was jesting." Sterne said blithely. "You were unarmed after all." 

"You--"

But she purposefully scared him though. Since when did swordplay equate to having a mental health issue? She wondered. 

The boy tremblingly went back on his feet and glared at her. 

Sterne did not mind, "Notice young sir that I have been very patient all throughout your litany. You came to the ducal estate of Nachtwald as a son of a viscount insulting the lady of the house, it would be justified if I were to file a formal complaint."

His eyes shifted from side to side nervously. She can see him shaking, that means he knows the wide gap in their status and yet he mindlessly made transgressions. 

"There will be no next time." She warned sharply. 

"Who wants to be acquainted with a bearish woman like you!" He mumbled irritably. "Playing with sticks… no culture at all. This is farewell." 

Well, thank God for small favors.

"Thank you for visiting Nachwald, I will not see you off." As she said so she straightened her spine and neck before executing an elegant curtsy. 

The viscount's son gritted his teeth and left without turning back.

Sterne let out a giggle. Etiquette? Can there be a more formidable tutor than the one she has? 

When Sterne looked by the window, Miss Amy, for some reason, had that satisfied smug look on her. Her beautiful face beaming.

Wow, somehow that felt great since she seemed to have gained the approval of the White Demon.

A former teacher of Gran Crux Royal Academy and a lady in waiting for their queen.

 

***

Royal Capital, Aurea

 

The streets leading from the east entrance towards the royal castle are packed with the enthused spectators. Flower garlands and handkerchiefs on the ready, everyone's emotions are strung tight.

Some people, however, could not help but form doubts in their hearts, it is widely known that among the four great knight orders, Vermillion and Obsidian are openly hostile with each other but a few days ago, the Vermillion Order of Knights took it upon themselves to spread the news that the Obsidian successfully subjugated an ancient beast inside the Sleeping Forest. A drastic change to their usual antagonistic action towards the black knights.

Every word they spoke was laced with admiration making the populace excited to welcome their hailed heroes. None of these ignorant masses suspected that it was only a ploy to show them a grim surprise.

Mixed among the crowd are the knights of Vermillion along with people from the orders who held the same level of contempt towards the widely known black knights. What kind of reaction would the citizens have the moment they see the ragged Obsidian?

Contrary to their valiant imposing shadow, this time, they will drag the half-dead Lord Commander of theirs to be paraded. With the king's edict, they will not dare object.

The intelligence report says that they managed to escape the forest but with severe damage to most of their elites and even drag down knights from other orders. Even the sons of Duke Nachtwald are not exempt from the injuries. This time, the upper echelon of Obsidian suffered greatly, it won't be long until the hundreds of years of foundation collapse. Without their heads those black knights will scatter.

"Report. Commander, the Obsidian is entering. A veiled carriage is spotted guarded by six elite captains. But…"

"Good, good. Aldebrand must have bargained quite a lot to the king of hell to remain breathing till this day." Commander Vallis remarked sneeringly. "Has the Mythril Knights' Lord Commander arrived yet?"

The man was too occupied to give his subordinate a glance, failing to see his unnaturally pale face. "N-Not as of this moment but several captains came."

"What of Blue Falcons?"

"Lord Commander Aquila is present and he seems to be in a sour mood."

"Why wouldn't he? Despite him declaring neutrality, it is clear that he favours Obsidian. This time, I wonder if his good opinion will remain once he finds out that his younger brother Heinrich suffered a heavy injury." Let today be a lesson to them, that even the tallest and strongest tree falls. 

Aldebrand Nachtwald had always been an eyesore in the eyes of the Chivalric Order. The position of Four Great Swords should have been given to the Grand Commander and yet the title unknowingly landed to him. 

Also, as a nobleman himself, his act of introducing commoners into their ranks and giving them chance to advance had long borne displeasure with the aristocratic knights who valued their positions. 

In the royal castle, right at this moment, the lord ministers are engaged in several debates.

"With Duke Nachtwald's severe injury I hear he is bound to be crippled."

"Sending him on a long journey will only aggravate his condition!"

"My lords please, the king has already decided. I'm sure Duke Nachtwald himself will not disobey the edict."

The old minister who defended sneered at the middle-aged lord in front of him.

"Lord Vallis, you take it as if Duke Nachtwald only suffered a cat scratch. With half of you agreeing to let him report despite his wounds was the same as pushing him to his death."

"Please, the decision has no ill-intention towards the duke." Lord Vallis said confidently as he smiled with his colleagues, "However, he is a soldier of this kingdom that swore an oath. We only would like to express our immense joy for his success." 

The old stubborn man suddenly laughed. Lord Vallis' smug face fell. 

"If you truly wanted to thank him for doing his sworn duty you could have at least just given the man some respite." Lord Bismarck said with irony. "While he fought for his life out there, you sat inside your homes comfortably enjoying comforts as you continued to berate the man you owed the very same peace you are squandering."   

The hall quieted. Lord Vallis looked particularly choked.  

"Lord Bismarck, calm down." The prime minister who stood on the same side urged gently. "The king has his own reason."

To hell with the king and his reason. The enraged one hundred and twenty-year-old minister wanted to shout, his whole body trembled in anger. With his lukewarm treatment of Nachtwald, and handing down that damnable order, isn't this situation the same as pushing him to the fire pit?

Truth to be told, the king himself seems to not care at all. He sat relaxed and composed on his throne looking at his bickering subjects below with faint amusement in his golden eyes.

The other side rejoiced while others grieved.       

Lord Bismarck is a respected elder and is one of the Four Great Swords who held immense influence in both the court and the people of Aurum. He rarely engages into senseless debate but this time he just couldn't remain still and took a jab at the opposition.

This snot-nosed immature Lord Vallis and his jealous incompetent lout of a brother are scourges that kept taunting the resting beast. One day, they will suffer a bite so bad it will be impossible to recover.

The hall remained still. 

It didn't take long for the storm of hooves to resound battering the immaculate paved streets as hundreds of men in shiny black armour holding blue and silver banners marched in. Flower petals rained down and the pleasing scents dominated the air.   

The wind picks up. The birds soar.

Suddenly there was a large commotion as all eyes focused on the lacquered carriage veiled by gossamer curtains with silver tassels. Everyone stared wide-eyed with bated breaths as the wind caressed the wispy fabric giving them a short glimpse of what's inside.

But the commander of the Vermillion Knight's attention was not focused on that artfully decorated carriage. It was on the man sitting majestically atop a white stallion.

With gleaming black armour, his long dark blue hair tied in a golden hairpin and red ribbon swayed and that sculpted face looking much better than before, Lord Commander Aldrebrand Nachtwald marched like a mighty God of War leading his troops of five hundred towards the royal castle not even sparing him a glance.

As if his presence is nothing but an insult to his eyes.   

"It can't be…" Commander Vallis muttered. 

What injury? The man is pretty much intact!

Why!? Isn't he supposed to be half dead lying inside that carriage?

He turned to his subordinate. "What happened to the intel we received that the Obsidian was nearly annihilated by the Behemoth?"

The subordinate himself did not understand how the information could have changed. It was given by a trustworthy source. 

The commander gripped his hands tighter. One by the one his eyes scanned the appearance of the people in the procession. None of them looks the least bit tired, let alone suffer unimaginable damage to their bodies. In fact, they all looked their best and more imposing than ever!

Across him, the commanders and captains from other rival orders had the same incredulous appearance. Every single one of them looked as if Nachtwald had risen from the dead and killed their families.

"I thought that the duke was on his last breath?"

"So I was told, but what the hell is he doing marching alive and better?!"

"No, no, something must have gone wrong on the report…" 

Their eyes turned red from anger. Teeth clenched until their mouths bled.

A cold hand gripped the Vermillion commander's heart. This cannot be. How did this happen? Wasn't he specifically told by those people that Obsidian is…

Surprise, anxiety until his emotion turned crazily into an unfathomable rage. Then, like a splash of cold water reality sunk in; that damn bastard is not going to die soon! 

Humorless mirth borne out of frustration rose from his chest. He laughed madly. Great, just great. His tenacity is otherworldly it's almost frightening but even so, one cannot stay invincible forever.

As though feeling his rage, Kyrios stopped his mount and looked towards his direction. 

The scion of Nachtwald, Kyrios had an arctic gaze more intense than his father making Commander Vallis tremble and avert his eyes. 

And because Kyrios directed his eyes on him, the people in the crowd also followed suit. 

This loss, the commander bitterly admitted, he will remember and repay it a hundredfold. With the eyes of hundred angry mobs unto him now, he could only swallow all excuses. It was clear that he made a mistake.

"What are you looking at peasant?" He growled at the young man standing in front of him. "Clear the way or I will spoon your eyes out." 

"The show's over. Let us leave." His adjutant second. 

How humiliating. If only all the Obsidian perished for good. 

The young man made way but he did not break his stare until the commander was gone. 

"What an arrogant man." His companion answered. "Once I graduate from the academy, I won't dare come to Vermillion. I'd rather be an apprentice of the Obsidian. I heard they don't discriminate against us commoners."

In the street… 

"Father, I spotted Commander Vallis in the crowd," Dio said.

"Let him, we all know he wouldn't miss this day."

Kyrios, on the other hand, made a faint devilish smile. He blended through the celebrating crowd and tucked his tail to run after failing to see what he wanted.

His deep grey eyes that seemed so gentle suddenly sharpened. "The mouse scurried back to its hole aggrieved." 

"Several others came as well. A pity we stole their thunder today. Now I'm even more anticipating how those ministers will look once they see our gift." Dio grinned while waving to the ladies below.

As the parade ended at the foot of the royal castle, several royal knights stood to attention on both sides to welcome the glorious heroes. With swords drawn upright holding next to their face in a uniform movement, they give their respect.

Duke Nachtwald and the rest of the fifty who joined the expedition entered carrying the covered treasure with them.   

The moment they appeared the discussions of several ministers halted. The hall is silent as a tomb; you can even hear a needle drop. Actions arrested right after Lord Chamberlain announced the arrival of the black knights. Today, not only did they spoil the public humiliation staged for them flawlessly, they even managed to once again prove the might of the Obsidian Order of Knights. On top of it they brought back a very valuable bounty.

"N-Nachtwald, you--" 

"You're not injured." 

Duke Al faced a minister and gave a bland, "My health is good, if that is what you are asking."  

They say the grapes are sour when one cannot eat it. This was exactly what the opposition felt.

"What loot did you bring this time, Nachtwald?" Lord Vallis who was sorely reprimanded by Lord Bismarck regained his vigor and pounced maliciously. 

"Gentlemen, we must be mindful of our actions while in the presence of His Majesty." Prime Minister Lanze cut in and added with emphasis. "Use proper address when facing your colleagues." 

Lord Vallis stiffened. He looked above the throne then to the duke. 

"What's the matter count?" The king asked. 

Sweat poured on his back. The king and the prime minister are both singing in sync to help Nachtwald. 

Ever since the academy, he never held any form of civility towards Aldebrand Nachtwald. Now that he is merely an errand boy of the kingdom, what purpose is there for him to pretend amicability? But this situation is different. He had to endure. 

"Y-Your Grace." 

Duke Al treated him like air. 

The count went on, "Your latest feat has sent the whole kingdom into frenzy. It made everyone overly curious about what you might have brought." 

"Might that be something from the forest?" A crony of his echoed soliciting laughter. 

The Lord Commander paid him no mind and proceeded to present the covered item brought in by his men. 

Dio, however, stared at him and snorted coldly. "A mere count opening his mouth unreservedly." 

Count Vallis' tightened his grip on the wine cup.

"My king, your humble subject would like to present the guardian beast's fangs and horn." Duke Nachtwald said after the ceremony of receiving awards.

"Oh, what did you bring me?" The king, though quietly watching, one could not miss the trace of excitement in those eyes.

The people surrounding the hall instinctively took a step back when the package was unveiled. A wave of strong mana essence flared in a scant second before it disappeared into the air.

Two translucent Behemoth fangs laid serenely atop the red velvet tray. If one has to look closer they would see the rainbow lustre dancing on its surface. The horn is a crude stone spike with red crystal embedded, and all those three items are as fat as an adult man's thigh with the length of four meters.

A series of gulps can suddenly be heard.

Many of them may be ignorant when it comes to monster slaying and its benefits but there are also ministers here who understand the actual value of these items. The horn alone is a rare SS-rank loot costing millions of gold. Huge kingdoms and empires will bid sky high prices just to acquire this. And the fangs?

An even more impossible loot to get. The Behemoth's teeth are the sturdiest mineral only sacred weapons forged from a meteor ore can cut. In this kingdom, there are only a few who own those. One is right inside the scabbard attached to the duke's hip.

"I say you rob the old Behemoth good." The king laughed pleased.

"A fitting compensation from a worthy and amusing opponent."

His men nodded rather proudly. 

Those who heard their exchange nearly fainted in anger. Amusing? This young duke talks as if he slew some kind of docile beast instead of an ancient guardian monster.

"For your heroic deeds and great leadership, I, your king, are pleased."

All fifty of them knelt uniformly to salute once again.

Out in the silent corner, Count Stolz eyed the celebrating knights with indifferent gaze.

So this is how things go when you have both military power and noble prestige. A tantalizing offer indeed. 

Count Vallis, however, could not stand watching the spectacle and chose to leave early. Staying a bit more will only incur more damage to his pride.

"Milord," his valet hesitated. "If the duke and the others are fine, then the parade…"

It went smoothly. 

 

11