Extra 1: An Envoy’s Musings
121 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

The Royal Castle.

Royal Capital, Aurea.

 

Who would have thought that I would end up at the doorstep of the royal castle? Not my old mother, not the people in our town. Even I did not expect such a change in my everyday life. I'm a person who loves books!

Garbed in black and green livery, I climb the fifty flights of steps towards the castle entrance. I was nearly out of breath upon arriving at the massive door. If it were the previous me, I would have given up on the fourth flight of steps and fled back home.

Whoever designed this castle must hate commoners. It was truly a blessing that I feel lighter now. The realization made me tear up a bit. But you see, this seems to be some kind of a curse, just when I recovered my health I had to do another round of heavy climbing.

From the entryway, I will have to wait for the castle's Grand Chamberlain, walk another excruciating distance towards the audience hall to meet our beloved king. One couldn't really blame me if I let out an aggrieved sigh suddenly.

"Bisque Anton. His Majesty is waiting for you."

An impeccable starchy gentleman sweeps his gloved hand towards the corridor.

When did this person come!? Don't just materialize like that, it's bad for my heart! I already have enough attacks from that little runt.

 


 

A certain little runt currently walking towards the training ground sneezed...

"Are you alright milady?"

Sterne looked around warily. Peanuts, who had the guts to talk behind me?

"Emilia, do you think Bisque is having a hard time in the royal capital right now?"

"I doubt it. He underwent rigorous training to sharpen his skills. The man is quite dedicated that even in his sleep he recites the Code of Etiquette, his mother says so."

I don't think you can call it dedication, it's more like trauma. Sterne thought.

"He will be fine, don't worry about him."

 


 

Bisque is certainly not fine!

Wiping off my melting face with a silken kerchief after taking a deep breath, I followed after recovering my aplomb.

The Grand Chamberlain shot me (or rather my kerchief) a curious look. He seems to want to ask me something but is restraining himself so I tossed out a casual conversation topic.

"Sir seemed to be curious about my kerchief? This is a fabric made from Imperial Moth's protein fibre."

"Isn't that an A-rank monster?"

"It is, Imperial Moths infested the Sleeping Forest but they do have their uses. A new product that is soft to the touch."

"T-Truly? Such a luxurious item…" Indeed the Grand Chamberlain had heard of the new type of silk circulating in the market. A yard of it fetched a huge sum and was offered to Her Majesty as a tribute last year. It only became available for purchase a few months ago. 

The silk kerchief was a gift from Lady Sterne. The monetary value of it was completely unknown to me. The sentimental value, however, is immeasurable.

Shortly after we arrived at the audience hall where the noble lords and ladies were gathered. The envoys from other territories have lined up on each designated area waiting for their names to be called. Multiple pairs of eyes zeroed at me visibly showing their repulsion at my plump appearance. The fellow envoys looked at my garments with curiosity.

Standing at my appointed place, I bowed my head.

"You know who that fatty is?"

"Never heard of him before. Probably new."

"He dared showing up late today. Our envoys have been here longer."

"Maybe he got lost, ended up in the kitchen and ate first."

Chuckles rose.

Ate, you say? As if I'd be tempted by your food.

They truly find my current appearance hilarious, what more if they saw how I looked before. Holding onto a blank facade, I wondered if any of these stuck up nobles had tasted our local food.

No, probably not.

The food in our territory is too precious to be appreciated by their numb palettes. My inner voice laughed at them. Truth to be told I have lost a huge amount of weight from my previous one, but since the food menu had been changed I was tempted to eat quite an amount again.

More than a year ago the thought of stepping out of our home was something I can only deeply long for. A bitter unfulfilled wish. Aside from the lumps of fat in my body, my health was also a major problem as I was born with a weak heart. But after I got caught up in the rain my health improved miraculously. The analogy that "cannot even hurt a fly" best describes myself before, but now? Hell, not only a fly, I'm ready to butcher a tiger. Just please spare me from climbing these stairs. 

Surprisingly, it wasn't only me who recovered, so was my feeble old mother and the rest of the townsfolk who went out to appreciate our first heavy rainfall after decades. Truly curious.

Before that, it has always been my dream to be a member of the Obsidian but the Lord Commander considered my health and other factors. I knew in my heart that I would not qualify but he asked one of the captains to give me a light routine to get my body accustomed first.

Reverently, I followed it every day, seeing tiny improvements sometimes gave me a feeling of frustration enough to make me cry rivers of blood, but I always thought it was better than nothing.

Hearing about my recovery I was summoned to the Nachtwald manor immediately, but to my disappointment, it wasn't for knightage training. Strangely, I was still taught the basics of sword fighting along with the young boys four years younger than I. Then I was tossed into the hellish etiquette lessons. Since I have a very good memory application and practice was a breeze.

Going back to the present. The king dismissed the uninvolved party, thinning out the crowd in the audience hall.

"Speak, envoy."

"Greetings to the Golden Sovereign of Aurum. Your Majesty, I am called Bisque Anton the new envoy for Nachtwald territory."

New because the former was fired and charged for corruption half a year ago. Lord Kyrios who was excellent at arithmetic and economics noticed the discrepancy in the territory budget. Turns out, the former was filtering gold that is supposed to be used for equipment and sword purchase. Also, he had been colluding with sly merchants tolerating them on their flagrant abuse in raising prices. He had received several kickbacks in return for protection.

The king waved his hand slightly to acknowledge my presence.

"Nachtwald, that dirt poor of a land."

"Ah, those fallen nobles…"

"What could be their request this time? They have been leeching off Aurea's funds just because they're at the forefront. I heard they require every fief to contribute to the military fund under the guise of being at the border."

"I have never heard of this…"

"SILENCE!"

The king's voice boomed filling the hall. I feared the pillars wouldn't be enough support if the ceiling collapsed. I myself shook.

"Anyone who speaks out of turn shall receive appropriate punishment." As the king so declared, the audience who were too courageous to gossip like old women quickly shut their mouths. 

"Envoy, state your report."

"Uh… umm…"

There was laughter in the background. Taking a deep breath I prayed to the goddess Miss Amy to lend me her eloquence and elegance-- or at least a fraction of it. 

"Your Majesty, our Lord Duke extends his greetings. As proof of his good intentions, the annual tax revenues coming from the Nachtwald Duchy have been sent."

Presenting the rolled parchment on both outstretched hands, Grand Chamberlain stepped up and took it which he then passed to Prime Minister Lanze and finally the king.

"Inside is the detailed record of the collection."

Then some boorish human being interjected. "Did he make money from those monster parts he collected? Must have been quite a fortune."

It was a handsome nobleman with a glass of wine in hand. I suddenly have an epiphany, when villains speak in some great novels they have a habit of swirling wine while donning on their best and vilest smile.

Seriously, what's with annoying people and wine?!

Grrr… I'm about to fly into rage but etiquette and decorum must be practised inside the throne room or else I'll be thrown to prison for misconduct. I surely would hate that so endure me. Endure!

"Hm, this is quite a hefty sum. That fellow really paid me." The king burst into elegant laughter but the reddening of his cheeks was quite obvious. "Al Nachtwald has given us free use of the highways owned by their family and sent out their special extermination squad without receiving any reward. That alone is enough to waive tax but… gwahahahaha so stubborn."

His Majesty, Ernesti Aurom du Roi is talking about the Lord Commander so fondly?

"I see the contents of the report. You have done well." The king stated, "The gold from Nachtwald is currently being overseen by the castle treasury. Grand Chamberlain will attend to it so then, it must have been rough carting that huge sum."

Yes, it was. I gave a faint smile.

The twenty elite knights assigned to guard me have to cut down countless bandits on the way. I get to have my first blood along the highways as well with gold on my back. The five of us went through a lot but since they are far weaker and crude than Sir Ahmose we got off without a scratch. Just bloodstains, yes.

Who knew it was harder being an envoy than being a knight?

5