22. Stormy Days Ahead
118 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The second Nachtwald child, Dio, is a person with good interpersonal skills. From the most shunned student to the ones sitting in the Student Council can say that he has a great personality. Everywhere he walks, it is as if the sun shines brighter, imaginary flowers bloom and birds sing.

His warm and cheery appeal has put many troubled hearts at ease. People like being near him.  

However right at this moment, the most admired and amiable young master is in his blackest mood. This time, no one dared to approach, not even a fly. A visible dark field surrounded Dio, so dark it can make plants wither. In his hand, he clenched the letter sent via Storm Pigeon.

"What do you think happened that made Dio so mad?" A schoolmate strolling by the lakeside asked. "He was fine this morning, only after he received that letter from their home that he..."

A student who was sitting on a bench nearby shook his head. "Come on you bloody scamps, leave the guy alone." 

"We are not going to pester him, perhaps we should ask Lady Milcah instead. She might know something."

Alas, the moment the boys turned around the said lady was already behind them. Greeted by the sight of a smooth porcelain face and delicate features, they momentarily forgot what to ask. Glass like brown eyes stared at them with a hint of laughter.

"It is best not to approach him at the moment." She said.

"See, even milady knows when not to poke the tiger." Their companion joked around. 

The two nodded and left immediately after hearing the warning. As soon as they were gone, the girl unhurriedly walked down in gentle steps towards Dio standing near the lake. 

"What are you so upset about, big brother?"

Dio sharply turned to her, giving her a slight scare. It was the first time she saw him look this fierce.

"Lady Milcah, it's you." Dio bowed before pinching the bridge of his nose, seemingly tired. "Apologies, did I frighten you?"

"Me? I'm far from being frightened but there are others maybe. Everyone is curious about what happened."

"It's a little personal." He said evasively and pocketed the note.

"It's not a love letter, is it?" Lady Milcah asked teasingly. 

Dio shook his head, "Where would I be in the mood to get romantic letters?"

"Oh, that's disappointing," said the lady with a sigh. "Worry not, I'm not going to pry."

The letter back home is something Captain Legrand sent as per their request with regards to Sterne's progress. Who knew that something unexpected would occur? Someone actually dared to harm his little sister while within Nachtwald's protection?

How dare they?! His fingers curled tightly until his knuckles turned white then, a hand flew and tapped his shoulders lightly.

"Is the matter really that serious?" She asked cautiously.

He nodded, his expression growing grim.

"Why don't you go and see the situation yourself? I don't know what happened but I think it is best that you check things first. For your peace of mind." Lady Milcah advised mildly.

Dio gave a small smile softening his harsh features a little bit. This kid really.

Lady Milcah Flumen is supposed to be one of the Hallowed One candidates but she suddenly withdraws to give way for her studies. Some say she wasted the blessing Herald bestowed on her, others ridiculed her for not thinking about the future of the kingdom while there is a small portion that came to admire her. Just how many ladies wished to be in her shoes and yet she threw it all away in order to pursue her passion. A small part of her reminds Dio of Sterne that is why they got along quickly.

"Alright, then you help me find an excuse to leave the academy."

Milcah's face lit up into a mischievous smile. "You sought help from the right person. Finding excuses is what I'm best at, leave this to me."   

Dio chuckled despite what he was feeling and ran back to the steps leading to the academy. Before Lady Milcah could reprimand him for his impudence, Dio turned around with a smile and bowed. 

"Thank you so much, milady!" 

Lady Milcah gave a soft snort. "Well at least he did not forget his manners." 

Half an hour later, Dio was already on his way back to the fief. Halfway on the road, he met his elder brother Kyrios galloping towards the city gates with forty Obsidian in tow.

 

On the other hand, the one they were all worried about is unaware of how frantic the people around her are.

"This tastes good…" Sterne muttered after licking her finger.

The aromatic vinegar in the wooden barrel has reached maturity. The smell of acidity drifts tickling the nose as soon as the cover is lifted. Another is the black sauce with a distinct sweetness and savoury flavour she kept in the earthen jar to ferment for months.

These two things she pulled from Lost Recipes are secret ingredients that can highly enhance a lot of dishes. Now that Nachtwald profits on its wide array of delicacies, she needed to upgrade the taste to keep customers coming back for more. After all, competition has gone intense since their Omnia rose into the spotlight.

The fief, mediocre as it may seem on other people's standards, has caught the eye of the grand and majestic Golden Leaf. An old establishment from another continent known for its many branches in many kingdoms. Of all the excellent places they can pick, they choose Nachtwald to build their new branch with.

"Lady Sterne, can we perhaps use this on vegetables?" Cairn, formerly known as Bandana Boy in the garrison, asked.

The three of them along with Enoh are currently at the storage, squatting down looking at wooden barrels and pots where the condiments ferment. Several days after digging up these two from the garrison kitchen, Sterne proposed to recruit more people and began the plan of mass producing sauces and condiments. 

"Yes we can, and if you add a bit of chicken breast to it the taste will burst deliciously. I bet even those who don't eat vegetables will be tempted to eat it."   

Enoh licked his lips imagining the flavor bursting on his tongue. They are all aware that he is not the biggest vegetable fan but it's not good for a growing boy like him to just eat meat all the time.

"The aromatic black vinegar can be strained and used by next week. Using this storage really is convenient, huh. Since the fortification, new rooms with mysterious functions have popped up."

There is a freezing room where the cooks can store meat and food for long periods of time. This one small storage has the function of aging whatever is placed inside. Cook Mattia accidentally discovered it when he placed bread and vegetables in there for storage but when he checked them the next day, the vegetables had rotted and bread was covered in thick molds.

The good thing about it is that time stops if there is a person inside. It seems it has its own safety mechanism. Well, that's all good then. You do not want to enter young and come out an old man after just a day. Sterne thought. Following these changes, they took advantage of the new rooms and used it for storing the jars and barrels. 

The aromatic vinegar and soy sauce are secured. The two garrison lads have learnt how to do them along with the other hired hands in the workshop but they seem to have some dissatisfaction after finally completing one task. Looking at their expectant faces, Sterne knew that mixing condiments will not be enough any more. The desire only grew more after their visit to town on the following day to eat tea cakes.

Somehow after eating foods with different flavours has numbed Sterne's tongue. The tea cakes that were treated as luxury suddenly seem bland to her. She thought that maybe she was just being capricious but when she looked at the two, they also reflected the same unsatisfied expressions.

"Why do I feel like this can improve some more? If there is a way… no, I'm sure there is." Enoh grumbled.

Cairn is already looking at the flatbread covered in layers and layers of sugar with dreadful eyes. Sugar is very expensive, the reason why these tea cakes can only be served to the upper crust but the three of them went ahead and bought them from a peddling merchant that visited the square.

"Ah, that's unfair! Only Enoh and Cairn are eating with Lady Sterne!"

Freiin came and she looked a little bit upset so Cairn happily shoved the tea cake to her. Enoh has bitten into his food and he felt quite troubled giving it to a girl or even throwing it because it was quite pricey.

"Thank you!" Out in the corner, Dorn came and swept the tea cake away from him.

Instead of getting upset, Enoh looked relieved when he gobbled it all in one go.

There might really be a good way of baking cakes without the awfully sweet and gritty texture. Since Sterne found out that these lads had great potential in cooking, she let them explore and experiment on different tastes and techniques. For the past few days, the three of them walked around the fief eating and drinking whatever caught their eyes. Later she noticed that these two are particularly sensitive to those dainty little snacks rarely sold. Sterne who is a huge fan of sweets couldn't be more happy, this way she would have enough reason to release more recipes she fancied and share it with everybody.  

While deep in her thoughts, a middle-aged man came from across the square. His sharp and eager eyes looked at the young lady sitting prettily along with other children.

"Good day to you Lady Sterne." He called enthusiastically and bowed.

Sterne looked up and bloomed into a smile, "Manager Roux, a good day too. How may I help you?"

"I came to tell the lady that our boss agreed."

Sterne's eyes instantly lit up.

"I would like to invite the young lady inside so we can talk more in private, you may bring your friends as well."

The other four teenagers stood confused while hearing the exchange between them. What's with this kind of development? They came to town to eat tea cakes, why is the manager of Golden Leaf suddenly tugging at their little lady urging her to enter their restaurant?

"Please" Manager Roux led them to a large private room reserved only for esteemed guests.

Even before she gave him those recipes, Manager Roux treated the young lady favourably for the reason that she is quite amiable and easy on the eyes. A jaunty lass full of novel ideas at such a tender age. Aside from her candor and vivacious nature she also exudes noble grace that does not appear overbearingly irritating or artificial. The little lady is a beautiful child with unforgettable features and sharp wit but, despite that edge, Lady Sterne maintains the sweetness and warmth in those grey eyes. Just how wonderful would she be once she reaches adulthood? He fervently hopes that his unborn baby would inherit maybe at least a quarter of her loveliness.

For his positive impression, he could only offer her the best room in the building.

"As I was saying, our dear owner agreed to give you thirty percent share from our establishment's annual profit. Here," He smilingly handed over the document both stamped and sealed complete with a red tassel. "The recipes of yours have pleased many people in our homeland. The owner need not hesitate to agree with your proposal."

The tea cake on Freiin's mouth fell.

Thirty… thirty percent share… how many silvers are those?

"Thank you very much for your consideration. This transaction cannot proceed without Manager Roux's mediation and guidance." Sterne said smilingly in her natural candid tone. 

"It is as you said, there is a whole ocean gap of difference when it comes to the quality of meat often used and monster meat. Though in our country, monster meat has been on the menu, the style and way of cooking can only bring out simple flavours. However, the process and the recipes milady offered opened up a new world for us to explore and gave another level of experience to enrich our palette." Not to mention the huge benefits it brings to magic users. "It is thanks to your addition, I can fully brag that I have sampled the best of food."

"Golden Leaf has unparalleled prestige, you could have built this branch anywhere else but you chose here. For that we are grateful." Sterne reciprocated the heartfelt praise. 

"The one in the royal capital Aurea is supposed to be the only one but the owner insisted on having one here as well."

Really? Her eyes widened. What kind of person is the owner? Choosing a random poor fiefdom out on a whim, is the person an incurable gambler?

Behind the screen, in a separate room, a small figure sitting in a luxurious soft chair watched Sterne's every reaction, (the said incurable gambler') the minute detail of her frown and smile. Suddenly a slight smirk rose on that handsome face.

"Young lord, we were not informed of your sudden visit. We apologize for the—"

"Quiet." The boy gestured lifting a tapered finger to his red lips.

The frantic attendant stopped fussing.

The boy cast his sights back to the conversation inside the private room, back to the little girl with flowing dark blue hair and silvery eyes. She avidly listens to Manager Roux's silly attempt to make her laugh.

"Tch, I truly admire the education of upper crust ladies these days. Imagine being able to continue to smile no matter how hideously bland the topic of conversation was. Cultivating such talent that would not crack despite the boring atmosphere is indeed commendable, unfortunately, there was nothing interesting separating her from the flock. It's truly a wonder why that brother of mine chose this meagre place."

The attendant sighed secretly on the side. Why, this is the first time the young lord said something about someone! Although the comment was a little bit biting and filled with rebuke, the look on his face clearly mirrored that he is not entirely as displeased as he voiced out.  

Faintly growing aware of the dagger-like stare from behind the screen painting, Sterne turned her head and frowned. 

The boy frowned in return. Did she perhaps feel something? 

Sterne could swear that she felt something and blurted out. "Manager, your painting seems to be possessed by an aggressive ghost." She said candidly. "Do you perhaps need an exorcist?"

Manager roux almost fell down his chair. "P-Please don't joke milady."

"What, you're afraid of ghosts?"    

"I… uh, no. No, I'm not." But I'm afraid— no, terrified of the person on the other side!

She grinned toothily at him. "Could it be that there really is one?"

The attendant beside the young had cold sweat dripping from his forehead. Oh, the impression was going so well. Noting from the expression of the Young Lord, he did not like the comment from the little lady at all. 

Manager Roux outside struggled to shift the topic. 

This child, the manager thought, could switch easily from businesslike to her playful self in just a blink. Her voice was modulated and clear.  Her attitude is candid and straightforward so much that he suddenly wants to run away in tears. 

That's their young lord behind the screen, not some hateful ghost! Beads of cold uncomfortable sweat dripped from the side of his face. How he prayed that the tantrum-prone little person behind did not hear what Lady Sterne said lest he'll overturn everything that can be overturned inside this establishment.

 

Five miles away from the town. Inside the water prison Tartarus, four badly battered bodies writhing on the cold hard ground let out muffled curses.

Taunting and cursing vulgarly the prison guards, up to the superiors, they refused to yield on the first round of punishment.

"You can beat us all you but you ain't getting shit from us." Firth, the captain from Iron Bulls huffed.

"Oh, really?"

From the hallows of the entrance, silhouetted a tall man with a face masterfully carved out from a block of millennium ice. He looked at him with predatory grey eyes that penetrate deep and freezes the soul.  

"It seems that you are not suffering enough. There was not a hint of remorse in you."

"Nachtwald, you wretch. You hide under the covers of chivalry but you are no different from savages." The swordsman snarled. "You deceive everyone in the kingdom!"

Kyrios gave him a dispassionate glance. "If you have opinions you should have been more forthcoming instead of sneaking like snivelling gutless wimps. Your courage was, unfortunately, minuscule you can only think of harming a child."

"Child? What kind of a child does this? She killed one of our companions, injured our captain and burnt my body until my bones and flesh were exposed. She's a demon spawn that deserves a thousand deaths."

Kyrios' eyes frosted dangerously until he looked like he was about to bite the criminal to death. 

Dio poked his head in seeing the devastation on the stone floor of the prison. "See? No wonder you're wimps." He sighed in a mocking tone. "You blame our sister for protecting herself but you never blamed yourselves for your actions. Such big talk but what you really want to do is push all the sin to a child several younger than you. Don't you feel the least bit embarrassed? Five grown men ganging up on a little girl but still suffered a loss. You really drag down the prestige of the knights to the gutter."

Four ugly faces eyed him murderously.

"This isn't over. Even if you kill us, we will drag you down with us!" Firth screamed. 

"Let's see how you do that." Dio angled his chin up. "Since you hurt our sister, you should know what's coming to you next."

The swordsman eyed him viciously wishing he could jump from where he was at and shred the wretched boy. Just as he is about to go mad with fury, a thought flitted through his mind. Right, the situation could still be reversed. That person said a surprise is coming whether they fail or succeed. As long as they did as told, they will receive the reward.

His eyes fixed on the two Nachtwald sons and an evil sneer lifted his mouth.

 

An hour later inside the manor, the brothers locked themselves inside the study for a long talk. Kyrios poured himself half a tea from the brew the servants pushed moments ago then joined Dio on the seat. "You did not inform Father you left the academy, did you?"

"I left as soon as I received the message and had no time to send him a note. Don't worry, I had a friend to cover for me for the time being. Sterne's matter cannot wait." 

"Be glad you are not formally ordained yet or there will be hell to pay for your recklessness." 

Dio shrugged noncommittally. "Be it a student or a knight belonging to the order, those people are not short of any topic to criticize our family at every turn."

"True that and not once had they stopped moving their lips, have they?"

"Good God, the world must be ending if they ever stopped those lips from moving." Dio replied in mock horror, gaining a chuckle from the eldest. "By the way, how many rats were found this time?" 

"Just five. No more no less. I think they have become more cautious when sending people here which is good since Obsidian is just about to get used to beating them lately. They're bloody well annoyed they couldn't have enough exercise with the sudden lack of objects to toy with."

"It's a huge change indeed."

Kyrios swirled the tea letting the faint steam dissipate, "I'm glad the little sprout's first expedition in Sleeping Forest turned out well. Firsthand battle experience is much different than just playing around the Hell Course or sparring with the knights. This way, she will have more chances of protecting herself."

"Oh boy, I thought we agreed to raise a dainty little lady. This house lacks a heavy touch of femininity." Dio tapped his forehead helplessly. 

"As much as I want to agree with you, the danger surrounding Sterne is great and I do believe Father also shares the same thought as I. We do not want to leave her fragile and helpless when the time comes, do we?"   

Eldest has a point but he is worried about the future of his little sister if she's raised to be a tomboy. As a child born from aristocracy, she has a duty to uphold their family name and it is inevitable that she will be subjected to many rules and her movements be observed. They also do not want her to be laughed at and be criticized for her incompetence with regards to social graces and eventually cut off her chances for a greater life. "There is Dorn and Freiin watching over her." 

"Dorn?" Kyrios raised an eyebrow. "The snot-nosed brat of uncle Gorgon? He's thirteen this year, isn't he? Still a child himself." 

"That's him. Didn't he swear before to protect the sprout and be her personal shadow? I think his talent is outstanding and he's reliable enough. Sir Ahmose is paying particular attention to him." 

"Shadow?" Kyrios scoffed. "The cocky little twit is not weaned and still afraid of his father. But if it is Sir Ahmose training him, I think I can rest assured. As for your worry about Sterne, rest assured father had planned for it a long time ago. Isn't Miss Amy hired for this subject exactly?"

Sterne has never been slacking on her etiquette lesson. While she's young, let her be happy and worry free because he has a feeling that his little sister's life will not be as easy as any ordinary lady. 


6