42. Double Standards
63 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

At four in the afternoon, the streets of Nebel are already teeming with people from different guilds and Orders waiting for the feast to begin. The square where the announcement was held was instantly filled with tables and chairs. Lanterns and banners were brought out and placed artfully as part of the city lord's sincere hospitality. He even personally supervised the arrangements making sure that no mishap happens in between. In particular, he paid extra care to the tables especially reserved for esteemed guests. Delighted, the city lord remarked to himself that this is how a send-off banquet should be.

Even the people working for him made it sound as if nothing could go wrong and visitors should just sit and enjoy themselves, the bounty will put itself inside their bag. Well, half of these visitors are Adventurers, they know it wasn't so simple. Sterne thinks so too.  

When they were wandering around the streets, it was obvious that none of the locals showed the same enthusiasm as the visitors.

"Aster Town is cursed, no one gets in and gets out of there the same."

"When the massacre happened three years ago, the city lord reported the incident to the Heraldic Order to cleanse it but even they stood no chance against the evil inside it. Did you know that an Archmage from another country came especially to seal the whole town? I don't know what possessed these people to suddenly decide to enter."

A lad sitting nearby helpfully replied, "Apparently a ruin surfaced inside Aster. It is the reason for all this commotion." 

If the whole place is sealed, then how can they enter? Sterne did not have to wonder for long as the old man in front of her spoke when Viktor voiced out that question.

"The city lord was given authority by the Heraldic Order to open a passage in case there are some changes inside Aster."       

"I see." 

But that doesn't explain the influx of nobles. Knights in different colours, mages, even clerics whom she thought she would never get the chance to see unless she visited the pantheon of Gods.

Seems like there really is something interesting going on to call forth people from hundreds of miles but unfortunately not enough to entice the locals. 

Interesting yet odd at the same time. 

It was a lively Nebel nonetheless, no different from the towns described by the former adventurers who now reside in Nachtwald. The gears they wore, the equipment in their hands, and the pets trotting beside them. Truly mystical.  

"Give way, give way!"  

"Someone help."

The voices are mixed, one is sharp and harsh while the other is pleading and frightened. What's causing the commotion in this quiet side of the street? Sterne walked away from the fruit stall towards the small gathering crowd. Emilia and Viktor followed behind. Looking around they found a bearded old man curled like a shrimp in the middle of the road about to be mushed by horse hooves.

"Poor old man!" 

"Viktor."

"Yes, milady." With a wave of his hand, the forefinger adorned with a ring glowed. The old man's body floated and was sent to the side right before the carriage rolled past. People were watching with rapt attention so they did not miss a single moment of what just happened.

The old man rarely comes out of his hiding place to visit that town for supplies. He had only taken a couple of steps across the streets when his knee gave in. The poor old man had only suffered a bit of ache when suddenly he was about to die from being trampled! The next thing he knew his body levitated and placed on the safe side where onlookers stood.

"He is saved."

"Thank heavens!" 

Relieved, everyone wiped the sweat off their brows and patted their chests. 

"What despicable thing!"

Several paces ahead, a fluttering yellow garment came into view, from within the carriage a furious young girl came out. Shewore several golden pins and satin bows in her hair making her tender features look mature than her age. Both her hands are adorned with bejewelled bangles, she was young, probably the same age as Sterne but her disposition appears a bit more harsh. On her right a silver long staff with an egg-sized stone is mounted producing a flickering light that further displayed her wealth. A Rare-ranked weapon.     

The girl had a bellyful of anger and was about to shout once again when the crowd started talking.

"Oh, a young mage!"

"No wonder the old man managed to be saved in the nick of time."

"Was she the one who saved him?"

"No, I think you're mistaken—"

"Thank goodness she used her magic or he could have died!"

Aware now that the praises are directed towards her, Monique forcibly pushed the words back down to her stomach and vainly looked around.

"It's my duty, of course, else you'll blame me for being unkind."

Although disappointed that she could not vent, she felt completely pleased hearing people's good opinion of her and did not bother correcting their guesses. Monique walked towards the old man and snorted, "Be reminded not to block the road next time. There are plenty of carriages going around. I will not be held accountable should you suffer an accident. Who knows if you can still survive the next."

She's headstrong. The crowd thought.

She needs a good slap in the face. Emilia and Viktor thought.

Mages are regarded highly in this kingdom due to the fact that only they can afford expensive equipment to support this kind of profession. By just looking at the handsome horses pulling the iron and wooden coach one can tell what kind of family this young lady came from. With Sterne's rigorous education about the aristocracy, she can more or less identify the crest painted on the carriage door.

Though not from an ancient line, and can only be classed as third rate aristocrats House Ravencroft conducts themselves in a manner of self-important arrogance, a devout worshipper of luxury and fame. Some would say that while they are trying too hard to imitate the aloof majestic bearing of those of the great houses though, on the other hand, they are raising their younger generations through the manners of a decadent and low classed individuals. Spoiled rotten by riches and drunk in power which they frequently use as a tool to intimidate those below them.

Sterne did not develop a good impression of the Ravencrofts.

And it dwindled even farther with this incident. Nobody complained about the girl's unpleasant remarks despite knowing she was also at fault in this incident. They thought it was natural, people would not risk provoking someone from a huge family. Whatever grievances they have they can only bite it down.

Walking around the streets the trio had more or less had a keen understanding about the people frequenting Nebel. The gossiping old women by the side did a lot of help actually. This is the first time that nobles and people from mixed backgrounds came.

When Sterne helped the old man up, the mage Monique turned to her with a very displeased expression. Seeing that the cause of anger is still loitering about acting sorry and helpless, her annoyance rises up a notch. 

"You over there," she pointed at Sterne arrogantly. "It's best if you take away the beggar. Do not make me wait."

The 'boy' in ordinary wool coat has a refined handsome appearance but that does not change the fact that he is a commoner. Not qualified for magic. Monique felt several times more indignant when those grey eyes looked at her with a hint of… disgust.

Sterne really did feel disgusted. Ever since the mage walked out of that carriage her staff kept emitting mana ready for discharge, a little more push the target will suffer unimaginable damage. What's more, she took the credit for Viktor's work when she didn't have wind magic attributes nor was she adept at aeromancy. Her mana type was water not wind! 

Equally annoyed as well, she flicked an inconspicuous finger to nullify the gathering force. It was only to disarm it. But Monique's staff, sadly the stone grew a crack.

"My staff!" Monique cried out, noticing that the magic in her prized weapon dissipated. "Oh no…"

The crowd took a step back.

"It's gone… impossible."

She looked around, frantically looking for the culprit.

"Who did it? Who broke my rune ore?!"

When her eyes found no one her anger reached boiling point she began stomping her foot. Eyeing Sterne and the old man, the nearest people in front of her she screeched. "Was it you?"

Sterne's deadpan look made her even more furious. 

"You, it was you. Did you think I wouldn't know?!"

Truth is she really did not know who did it but she refused to let this matter go. That gem cost a fortune to acquire. There has to be someone to bear the brunt. She's not looking for justice, she just wants someone to blame, since the boy and the old man were the reason for her upset she decided to vent her anger on them. 

As everyone witnessed her unreasonable fit, the people's earlier good opinion of her thoroughly vanished. A vain and irksome girl is now presented to them. How could they be so blind to believe she was the one who saved the old man? Just look at her!  

"Wait until I tell my uncle about this! You will be punished." Monique cried, her face becoming blotchy red. "I shouldn't have come here. I should have stayed indoors instead of mixing with these, these mindless dirty peasants. It's a disgrace!"

Sterne frowned, "Ridiculous. Just because you are upset you can subject people to ridicule however you wish."

"I can say whatever I want to." She hissed. "Who can stop me?"

"It's not enough that you prone to insult your peers, you are also determined to spin this spurious story without evidence" 

Monique was livid, "Quiet or I'll have you flogged and beheaded."

"Aiy, young miss, how could you say that? Front the moment you stepped out no one came near you." From the crowd, someone spoke. 

Sterne's eyebrow quirked up recognizing Viktor's imitation of an old lady's voice. Oh dear, she wanted to laugh.

A rather indignant person added in, "Don't go around pointing at people. If everyone is so disgusting in your eyes, you will find yourself very alone then."

"Right, right."

"Tsk, tsk these nobles are too excessive sometimes. She almost killed an old man now she even has the gall to be furious."

"Apparently, the lives of us common folks are nothing but dust in their eyes. If they want to kill, we should just smile and wait for our heads to roll. What a good breed indeed!"

"What's going on here?" From an alley fifteen steps away, a cold severe voice sounded. "Does it bring you great entertainment to bully a child?"

Child? If all children act like her what will happen to this generation?

The chilling remark quieted the chattering onlookers, their attention went to the young man coming out the mouth of the alley. The Royal Academy garment gave his person an illusion of being stalwart and upright but the faint glow of killing intent in those eyes warped his countenance.

Karion Ziege, here you are again. Sterne thought. 

Emilia and Viktor abruptly slipped past the barricade of bodies and went to her side.

"I wonder what took you so long, Monique." The mage girl immediately straightened. Seeing that help has come she harrumphed and ran to the young man's side with her broken staff.

"Uncle, uncle, these people broke the gift you gave me. I'm currently seeking for justice but these ignorant people belittled and embarrassed me— I want them to be punished." Monique complained, stabbing a finger towards the four people.

Karion looked at the 'boy' assisting a frail old man and his eyes narrowed sharply. 

Sterne gazed back unflinchingly. 

"Is this true?" Karion asked coercively.

"You are free to seek the answer at your leisure. There are plenty of witnesses."  

This little bastard looks so familiar it hurts his eyes, he only met him now but there is already an inexplicable irritation rising in his chest. Karion looked more carefully and decided he indeed loathed that face. Why, because the boy in question looked so much like Kyrios Nachtwald. A seventy to eighty per cent copy, a miniature of the wretched show-off!

Could they be related? But Kyrios only has Dio as a brother (another person that also makes him lose his temper) and he heard that the other is a sickly little girl. Moreover, those Nachtwald are the last line with no other blood-related relatives left.

"Didn't I tell you Monique that when you are faced with not so important characters it is best to ignore them?" He bit out.

"But uncle, my staff. I must be compensated."

His niece's unhappy face and the crowd's dissatisfied stares added more to his foul mood. "I will find you a better one later on. Let us leave, you don't want to catch their filth."    

"No, I want that boy punished."

"Enough!" He snapped, scaring the girl, "Let that dirty street rat be. Consider it mercy."

Emilia wanted to hurl a dagger to Karion's ugly face but Viktor stopped her making him the target of her rage instead. 

"Humph! Don't think this is over." Monique warned sneeringly and trotted towards the retreating Karion. 

Yes, go. No one wanted you here. 

Pompous and overbearing with all manners filled with conceit and selfishness. People shook their heads in dismay. They lack an important character of empathy which is supposed to be possessed by people of their station to those of lower rank. 

"I don't suppose all nobles act this way," they whispered.

"I hope not, that will be very disappointing." 

"Not everyone is. If there are nobles with horrid tempers, surely the world also does not lack those born with excellent characters." 

It's a pity ranked ones such as them have become the template of one's perception of aristocrats. It is the likes of those two that drag down the name of those great houses who had done better and helped build this kingdom. 

Their absence was not missed and it provided great relief the crowd finally breathed easy as soon as they left.

"Phew~ the pests are gone." Viktor chuckled, squatting down to heal the abrasions on the old man's knee. "Hello sir, I'm sorry for the inattention but let me check your injury. It's fortunate no bone was broken. Just a little weakening on your muscles. I suppose you haven't eaten nutritious food for some time?"

"You're a Healer, laddie?"

"No sir, an Evoker."

"Dear me, an Evoker at your age! Then how did you know I suffer from this illness?"

"I don't need any great magic to see you are malnourished." Viktor replied in a friendly tone. "Plus you can stand just fine now but the way you suddenly fell is somewhat alarming. Let me guess, this happens a few times already? Tell you what sir, I happened to have this affliction a few years back."

"Last month, a few days ago and now I mysteriously feel weak. Say, is it serious?"

Viktor cleared his throat, "Well, I do not possess the expertise of a Healer but I have an experience to compare. I say it can be dangerous if you ignore the symptoms and neglect your health. You need to eat plenty from here on, preferably a diet that can replenish your strength."

Emilia kicked the back of his knees making them fold and the hapless Viktor kneeled on the hard ground. "Such good words, spoken so well, sir. All would have been convinced if until today the kitchen did not complain that you returned your empty dishes very late."

"Emilia…"

"It doesn't matter how nutritious the food is as long as you don't eat on time your body will still grow weak."

Sterne nodded in assent. 

The old man looked at them bickering and smiled faintly. He then turned to Sterne, "You are very lucky to have good people around you, black knight. Maybe this life will treat you better now than the previous one."

"Sir, I…" 

Hearing the name he called her, the blood in Sterne's whole body seemed to rush in her head, then her vision turned completely white.

[Enforcement Acquired]

The information directly went to her consciousness. The process was too quick she didn't get to brace herself for it. She didn't even have time to be alarmed.

"Peanuts..."   

When her vision cleared, she then saw a kindly old face smiling in front of her. "You will need that again. They're coming for you."

While Viktor and Emilia bickered, her body swayed weakly and fell onto something hard. Stiffening for a moment, Sterne slowly raised her sight and directly got swallowed by a pair of bright aquamarine eyes. 

They say life is full of mysterious surprises, she never paid any attention to that until now… but it seems that it's true. Some things are determined by invisible forces which one has no complete control of.

 

 

 

4