48. Returning Home
67 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Thank goodness she's finally out of Nebel.

Sterne watched the receding view of the walled city behind and smiled to herself. When the city lord attempted to escape the Phantom guards she instructed to spy in his manor immediately took action, like his nephew he was trussed up like a chicken and delivered at the feet of Halcyon knights. The things that took part in these two days have thoroughly expanded her views of the world. The corrupted officials run rampant at the same degree as abusive people running amok when there is no proper set of authorities to curb them. 

Apathy and self interest are the often causes of disharmony. It was a short adventure worth her time and after experiencing it, she felt she was quite ready to go home. 

"Can we take the shortest route towards the main road?" Viktor asked. 

"This area of Nebel is near the hinterlands occupied by bandits. We must not take our chances using the shortcuts." replied Dorn. 

Emilia nudged her horse near Sterne. "Tighten your cloak, milady." 

Six Phantoms rode along with them but their group of four children still looked conspicuous among the bunch. They trudged the dusty road where travelers frequent, ignoring the path towards the shortcut only to find themselves stopped in the end.  

"Bugger." Dorn muttered.   

The ahead leading to the main dwarven highway is blocked by a group of ruffians. To make sure none of them pass, the brigands smack a large tree in the middle hoping that maybe some poor travellers will fall into the trap. Their ten-person entourage stopped meters away surrounded by rough looking men, armed and filthy. 

"Ohhh, lookit here lads, some fancy lookin' brats. It seems today's reward will be good 'ey." Bandit boss clicked his tongue and snapped his fingers towards the oblivious Viktor. "T'name's Brewser," he paused to laugh. "A name I fancy for the time being."

Since he likes picking names on a whim, they thought he ought to try Warts next time. They have never seen someone who has had plenty on him. 

"I suppose you are the young master 'ere laddie." Warts, err— Bruiser said.

Dorn laughed. Viktor gave him a stern side-eyed look. 

"I am. What business does a Mister Bruiser have to do with our company?" 

"Nothing urgent. Would you mind getting your pretty face down from your horse and coming with us quietly?"

The children lost their smiles. Dorn and Emilia looked at the twenty or so bandits and knew that they could not beat them but with the right timing they might be able to outrun them. They just need a little diversion.

Viktor's face turned green upon hearing the leader asked for him personally. He glanced at Lady Sterne hoping for her opinion but after seeing her big upturned eyes lost in confusion, he decided to turn to Emilia. Alas, it might have been another wrong choice for she is looking as blank as a fresh sheet of paper as well. The ladies didn't have the foggiest idea why among them he was the one being called upon. 

These lot what he calls friends… someday they will become the death of him.  

He did not dare look at Dorn next, he already knew that the bastard was having a hard time holding his laughter with that back turned and his shoulders shaking suspiciously. Viktor turned his resentful eyes to the bearded Bruiser, scanning the enemy briefly. He was a hulk of a man with aplenty of muscles to display and apparently some deviant taste he would not want to think about. 

Where are the bandits who cannot wait to spread chaos and bloodshed? He looked at Bruiser's leering eyes and felt goosebumps breaking out all over his body. Perhaps something has gone wrong with this one. Viktor's impression of tough bandits reeking with testosterone fell on the gutters today. 

"Now, now don't make it harder fer ye'selves. Git down 'ere ya rascal and let me 'ave a good look!" Bruiser repeated again, not breaking eye contact with him.

Viktor pressed the urge to vomit. 

"The others brats as well, boss." The bald man waving his broadsword suggested. He was trying to intimidate the young travellers but for some reason, they just sat atop their horses looking at them with a mixture of mirth and pity.

"Sirs, we are but humble people from the south. We've got no gold nor jewellery on us." Dorn acted so badly and sounded so monotone like those bad plays performed at the city's square. Fortunately though, the bandits do not have such high requirements.

"Bite your tongue else I'll slice you up." A lackey brandishing a rusted knife hollered.

Dorn quickly clamped his mouth shut. This is a short-tempered chap right here, one with an incredibly flat face. 

Did someone drop him from the cradle when he was a baby? Dorn wondered. 

"Get your arses down 'ere. NOW!" Bruiser yelled at Viktor. 

"Wait!" Sterne intervened hastily.

"What?" Bruiser barked impatiently. 

She held up a finger before slowly opening the flap of her saddlebag. Three eyeball-sized metal spheres came into view. "We don't have much but we have these."

Viktor's eyes widened. 

"What the hell's that?"

"A little trinket from Nebel." Sterne said holding the sphere cautiously, "This mister, that mister as well as you, sir. I shall give these new treasures, though I loathe to part with them, but in order to spare our lives I will surrender all." The said treasures were given thusly. "As you can see my good sirs, we are but poor travellers"

The bandits frowned but their attention was successfully drawn away from Viktor. 

"What do you suppose are these?"

"They look cheap!"

Sterne smiled bitterly. Alright you can say whatever you want but we shall see who will have the last laugh later. 

Fortunately, none of them could tell the real value of these magic weapons from the Lost Recipe, as well as its potency. It does look humble but the cost of these three were not measured in silvers but in its lethality. Calling it cheap again might just let Herald personally hurl lightning at you.   

When Emilia and the rest saw her take out the spheres, a cold shudder ran down their spines. It has not been long since they saw what these shiny trinkets could do. Three of the bandits receive the 'gift' the lady bestowed sealing their fates entirely. Curiously, Bruiser put it on his eyes as if inspecting it. Seeing that the quality of craftsmanship was high, the man's eyes lit up with greed.

"These are some high-quality metals. I wonder how much the price it'll fetch once we sell it…"

"As I told you earlier." Sterne grinned proudly.

"Say, boss, maybe there are more."

"Hmm, I see ye didn't lie ya little rascal." Bruise’s smile spread wider in delight. "But these lil trinkets are not enough."

Sterne wagged her fingers. "But I'm not done yet. If you could just push that tiny button at the top, you will see an even bigger surprise. Why don't you all try it and see for yourselves?"

Her eager face gave them a slight feeling of alarm, her cheerful reaction for someone being robbed is quite odd but after thinking that she is just a child easily frightened and coerced they dismissed the suspicion.

Had he known the danger then, he should've listened to his intuition.

"Are ya sure there's still a trick to it?"

"Of course, I saw how they were made." Sterne smiled, giving her companions a conspiratorial wink. 

Throwing caution to the wind, the gullible bandit did as told and soon found out that he was nothing but a helpless fish on the chopping board. The youngsters made a mad dash away from them as soon as he pressed the tiny button. He expected to see some hidden contraption or anything but the moment the mechanism activated the metal sphere opened like a blooming lotus flower. 

"Excellent!" Bruiser cheered in glee. 

The sphere hovered in the air letting out tiny sparks, the bandits frowned and before they could take arms to defend themselves, it connected with the other two spheres releasing a lightning storm trapping them all inside.            

"What—"

"Run!" 

Boom!

"Ahhh!" 

Dorn couldn't help but rub his hands together as he prayed to the heavens for his great fortune and luck to be born inside Nachtwald. Never in his life would he ever wish to cross this little lady, the consequences are simply terrible.

The lightning storm lasted about five minutes. For that entire duration, the forest is filled with mournful cries and painful shrieks. It may not be as fatal as the one she used inside Aster but the psychological damage it would cause was enough to remind the bandits not to mess with random travellers once more. Three days of journey and they are finally back at Nachtwald. The very first group of people that greeted them were Sir Ahmose and her dear Miss Amy, followed by the noisy mage division.

"I'm home."   

 

Meanwhile… 

After separating with Sterne and the gang from the fork road, Royce and Solis quickly left Aurum Kingdom, warping back to their homeland. Located in the western continent, the Zircon Empire dominated eighty percent of the large mass of land. Founded by the emperor supreme aided by a divine blessing, it has flourished for more than ten thousand years until his current descendants.

Royce appeared inside the maroon antechamber in the north wing of the castle where his private residence is located. On the eastern side of it is a long line of glass doors opening to a wide pillared terrace overlooking the magnificent views of the Dragon's Cliff waterfall. Whenever he returns, this part of his apartment is empty but today a figure daringly entered.

"Greetings to Your Imperial Highness," 

A dainty figure was bobbing into curtsy as she greeted him with a soft shy voice.  The girl was dressed lavishly in green silk and gold jewellery. Her slim fingers pinched the edges of her elegant skirt making sure the hem did not touch the ground. Her movements are graceful and refined, showing the quality of education she received which one may find hard to pick out flaws. 

But all that held no meaning to Royce.

His eyes frosted immediately. Displeased at the uninvited presence.

"Lady Sofia. Since when did I have the fortune of receiving the daughter of the Holy Master as a guest?"

"It has been a while, Your Highness. Have you been well since our last meeting?"

"I am well enough. Thank you." 

The girl was visibly delighted by his positive reply. She held a small smile and tint of rose red on her cheeks. Lady Sofia, gentle as ever, then walked towards him. "Father has sent me on behalf of himself. The old guardians have been staying in the empire for quite some time."

"Oh, and you came to take them back?" Royce asked unemotionally. "If that is the case then, we shant hold the elders for long and keep you waiting. It would be rude to further delay their departure."

Lady Sofia looked momentarily lost. She wanted to say that she came to visit him and in accordance with her father's will, she was carefully instructed that she must accompany the prince for at least a week. Thinking that he might be pressured by the oracle, her presence would help distract him. If she had known he would answer like so then she should have asked for the permission of the emperor first to make her stay apparent. Hearing the prince's evicting tone, a sliver of discontent rose within her.

The wind blew harshly lifting her skirt up, extracting a surprised shriek from her. Feeling a little embarrassed, Lady Sofia laughed softly to cover up her gaffe. Royce, however, did not show any extra emotion. He was anxious to get to his father to inform him of the conclusion of his succession trial and be done with it. But Lady Sofia's arrival delayed him for quite a while. 

A thought came unbidden. Did the old man summon him back for this...? 

His eyes strayed briefly to the girl nearby. He admits her manners are impeccable, graceful even but for some reason, he could not stand a minute of being near her. It eats up his patience and her voice irritates his senses. If that father of his suddenly asks him to stay and entertain this girl, heaven forbid, he will not mind reducing Holy Dipterus to ashes soon.

Noticing his preoccupation, Sofia frowned. He did not even greet her or exchange pleasantries. He just stood there solid as a wall, his face a blank unblemished mask. She never felt so inept and ignored before.

"Your Highness," She prompted.

"Is something the matter, milady?"

Before he could react, she already touched the hair draped on his shoulder.

"Your hair has grown so long."

Solis just arrived after going to the Dragon Cliff when he witnessed this scene and his blood almost drained out from his body. The chilly look on Royce's eyes made the aquamarine colour so alive it was almost… electric. Of all things, you have to touch that!

He cleared his throat to interrupt further action. Sofia noticed the butler, she smiled hiding her disappointment and withdrew her hand. She was about to ask Royce to tour her around the castle but it looks like that will not be possible anymore. In truth, she had no inclinations for a stroll but the thought of having the prince himself as an escort excited her. How many ladies out there in the court of Zircon palace wanted to get close to His Highness Prince Royce? Yet only she has that unquestionable privilege as the daughter of the Holy Master.      

Lady Sofia felt pleased.

"If there is nothing else I will be going ahead." Royce said dismissively.

"Ah, but—"

The prince was already on his way leaving the shocked girl behind. 

Royce escaped to the hall with wide strides, it only took several minutes to demolish the good mood he had. Ever since he found out about the Holy Dipterus scheme he already vowed not to get in contact with them in the future. That sly Holy Master sending his daughter here may appear innocent and harmless on the surface but he knew all too well what he schemes.

He wanted to take a hold of Zircon through his child? He's dreaming. The best decision he ever made is not informing the primordial city about the awakening of the sun dragon three years ago. Until today Dipterus is under the belief that Zircon's imperial family guardian beast is still in slumber. It was an old tale known that without the sacred beasts' divine protection, the empire is susceptible to many dangers. 

The lands conquered for the last hundreds of years did not receive the Sun Kings baptism, unlike the old cities. For that reason, they needed to rely on Holy Dipterus' aid by asking the Holy Master to perform a baptism ritual. His power, although it cannot measure against the guardian beast's might it can at least hold them for at least a decade. As time went, they grew daring thinking that a giant like Zircon still has to acquiesce to the will of a small ancient city like theirs for this rather important benefit. And it has been known that not only Holy Dipterus' arrogance has grown but their greed as well.     

Royce curled his lips into a cynical smile. "Solis, the guards and the chamberlain who allowed her entry must be dismissed. I have no use for people who will easily betray my confidence from such little coaxing. I dare leave the security of my domain in those hands."

Solis nodded. 

"Another thing. Send for my valet, I need a haircut." 

Solis stopped in his tracks and looked at the small back of the boy, countless thoughts swam inside his head, but in the end, he just gave a faint smile and firmly said, 

"As Your Imperial Highness' wish."

 



3