4: (When a Spear is Mightier than a Sword) 
168 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

4: (When a Spear is Mightier than a Sword)

====

The night was still young so my first order of business was to get some food. If I really think about it I hadn’t eaten anything at all since my reincarnation into this world. 

Despite that I felt no ill effects that were the result of hunger. No matter how cliche or cheesy cultivation can be, the benefits of being a practitioner were truly something else. 

Before this whole Isekai nonsense happened, I was just an ordinary salaryman with a busy work schedule. Still, I made sure to fit in enough time to have a bite to eat. 

It was unlikely anytime for that deeply ingrained habit of mine to change. Meanwhile since the concept of weekends were nonexistent there’d be the continued plight of waking up early.

Therefore I suppose some things were susceptible to not staying the same. 

Also having to lug around an extra heavy appendage was burdensome. Yet, I suppose in battle the tail could be used to trip up my opponents. 

On the other hand since I had no intention to recklessly headbutt people the pair of horns I had were simply there to look decorative. Things could certainly be worse.   

Anyway the Mystic Dragon Sect had all the essential things a prominent Sect would have and more. Although due to the many years since its founding the erosion of time made itself known. 

Crumbling buildings that lacked preservation talisman had to be rebuilt and so on. Overgrown foliage and vines were another problem but overall added to the Azure Pavilion’s charm. 

Obviously from experience there were an absurd amount of libraries. Other important places of interest were a large greenhouse, medical bay, weapon armoury, and a treasure hoard with ancient artifacts.

However, those were none of the destinations I had in mind. Instead I was headed towards the structures with chimneys that had smoke billowing out.       

Retrospectively the blacksmith’s forge had an a special flame that was a gift from the Five Phoenixes Saber. I sighed at knowing the eventual outcome.

While it was useful for crafting it may also also be a possible source of future conflict with the protagonist.    

Alchemy done within a closed space is impractical. Impurities and other toxins may poison the room. Thus the small Alchemy department also had a single chimney that was similar to a collapsible roof.      

Of course the kitchen had chimneys that connected too stoves. During cooking they helped alleviate good air circulation. 

Once I stepped inside said place there were several chefs that were busy scurrying about for different ingredients. Food could be stored in stasis arrays and similar devices. 

Therefore my best guess is that they were busy preparing a feast for the upcoming Inner Council meeting. Another option is that they were prepping ahead of time to feed the disciples that just started cultivating.

For those with higher cultivation levels the act of eating food was unnecessary. Mostly it was the ascetics that did that practice, with others being keen to indulge.

Sure I could admit that it was somewhat a waste of time when I should be solely focusing on my cultivation but it was the little things that kept me grounded. 

“Is there any extra shrimp left?” I asked the worker that was filleting a mackerel. “I’m in need of it to prepare myself a late night meal.” 

Strangely the traffic in the room stopped. Were they going to scold me to get out because they were super busy? Nonetheless it didn’t regret any of my decisions when it came to acquiring a snack.   

Okay so maybe I had more influence on things than I originally thought.

“All inventory is always made sure to be accounted for.” An elderly woman stated. “Would you like one of us to make something?”

I shook my head. “No this is something only I can do myself but you have my best regards.”

“Then I shall prepare a space only for Lord Shao Zheng’s use.”

Due to the advancements of cultivation or maybe because of the laziness of the author the stove acted like a modern electrical appliance. The only difference is that its appearance was ancient looking.     

Eventually a delicious aroma wafted in the air. All that was needed next was to douse the cooked crustacean in sauce and spices!

Finally the divine Bang-Bang Shrimp was done and then I set off for bed.

=====

To any naive mortal, granny Lu Jingyi was a scullery maid who had one of the highest honours of being employed by the Mystic Dragon Sect. 

In reality she was actually the beautiful Illusionist Shadow Dagger Queen of the Azure Pavilion. A long time ago she had mastered the path of casting mirages indistinguishable from reality. 

Although in her spare time for fun Lu Jingyi took up creating the highest quality dishes and sometimes helping her juniors. 

Not just anyone could be a Mystic Dragon Chef. Only families that hailed from the original cooks were granted access to the secrets of the exclusive kitchen.

While an obscure form of cultivation, cooking counted as a path an individual could take towards immortality and godhood.

Fondly Lu Jingyi looked back on her youth when Grandmaster Jiang, Shao Qing, and her were inner disciples. Truly those were the days of ignorance and bliss.        

Yet then another rogue cultivator crowned Demon King would go on to ruin everything. Pillaging towns and collecting women as if they were trophies. 

Therefore so that Lu Jingyi didn’t end up as the 26th wife of a brain dead harem she often masqueraded as a feeble old woman. Such a tactic would carry over into the future. 

Many armies organized under the same banner to drive back the Demons, which they barely did. Yet to add insult to injury as if Shao Qing were a stepping stone, the Demon King would go on to slay him.  

From their trio only Grandmaster Jiang and Lu Jingyi were left to pick up the pieces of shattered earth. 

However, nowadays the two former friends happened to be distant. The only thing left they shared in common was looking over their shared godson Shao Zheng.

To Lu Jingyi’s delight Shao Zheng had come to visit her! What a diligent good son, until she realized clearly something was wrong. 

He failed to see past her disguise and there was also a lack of recognition in Shao Zhen’s eyes. Grandmaster Jiang had mentioned there were a few holes in the boy’s memory but it shouldn’t have been this bad.

Clearly that fool of a doctor didn’t understand the extent of damage the coma had done. As a responsible adult to another adult she’d have to have a follow up talk with him later.

At the same time maybe it was for the better. Ever since the boy’s parents died all Shao Zheng could focus on was an unhealthy addiction to training. Yet for once he finally showed an interest in something else. 

Most people compared her godson to his late father but rather Shao Qing knew how to tell a good joke. Meanwhile Shao Zheng had the same resting bitch face as his also deceased mother. 

Anyway it was about time Shao Zheng grew into his dragon heritage. While the young heir to the Sect tried to put on a stoic mask, the gestures of the kid's tail made it easier to read his emotional state.     

Finally Lu Jingyi will be able to find out her godson’s likes and dislikes for once. As the greatest auntie ever she was set out to spoil him. 

Still the biggest question that remained is if he liked that immortal grade dagger that was last year's birthday present.     

====

Getting out of bed for the second time in a row was definitely easier than the first. Despite my personal abode being my room it didn’t exactly feel like home.

The space was simply too empty, maybe I’d make a trip to the greenhouse later to get some plants to make it more lived in. 

Yet whatever, soon enough I was done mulling over my thoughts only to be out the door. 

My morning training started with me stretching out my ligaments and joints. After that I proceeded to move on to mediation which lasted for about an hour. 

Since it was a stupidly early time, most of the dojo and inner disciple training area was empty aside from a few other students. It was mutual in that nobody dared approach each other.

Anyway the training area was situated outside. Said designated space was lined with brick stones and the essentials. It lacked any ostentatious furnishings to emphasize an empty mind and focus on training.

As for the dojo in contrast it was an enclosed area. Despite that it had an expansive size that was reinforced by stone pillars and blue lapis decorations.

Good thing there were training dummies because for now I simply opted to practice alone. Some martial arts are flashy in that they entail acrobatics and fluidness. 

Meanwhile as I let an unfamiliar muscle memory guide me it could be noted that my stances were defensive in nature. Surely a profound defense is the greatest offense.  

Speaking of which besides the cool dagger that I carried around I wasn’t sure what my weapon of choice was. 

Sure, I was probably heaving hitting enough to be a brawler and use gauntlets but that didn’t sound right. I was kinda gap moe despite the whole unmovable mountain motif.

Instead of being stocky my still growing physique was tall and lethe. Perhaps best described as a glass cannon made of stone.           

Eventually I took to emptying the dimensional ring I kept with me at all times. With a loud clatter a polearm that had my Qi embedded in it dropped to the floor. 

Due to the abrupt noise some of the disciples turned their attention towards me. 

Oh… They all had swords, so this was the xianxia or cultivation equivalent of dropping a weight at the gym.  

At the time of posting this thanks for 1.1k views! My posting schedule is wonky because I'm in university but to my readers thanks for sticking around. I'm working on a small mega update of chapters and a glossary next. 

 

2