Chapter 4: Hanjuyang
99 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CW: Mentions of violence, mentions of sexual assault, mention of sexual acts, explicit language.


Hanjuyang is a spiteful city with a beautiful façade, much like the young man ambling through her belly.

Rin would tell anyone who might be gullible enough to believe him that his territory starts at the cemetery, sweeps through the Slums, and extends past the Artisan's Quarter and out to the Black Forest. Despite his bold claims, Rin knows that his so-called territory in truth belongs to another. This person - or rather, this entity, for how could they be a mere human? - whose authority remains uncontested by the gangs and guilds of Hanjuyang; the Slums and her weary and broken citizens; the People's District and the comfortable majority of the city's populous; the High District, home to the Watchtower, Silversword barracks, and the Ministry Quarters, as well as the other prominent and valuable administrations of the city.

In fact, this entity has absolute power across the four nations, whose name all utter in adoration and terror alike: The Mother.

But Rin is a person not without some power in his city. He is well known for his sharp tongue and hard fists and a temper as thin as a razor wire. His exquisite looks also don't go by unnoticed, beguiling those who are yet to know of this boy's poor temperament and dog personality.

He finds this useful in some instances, when gold is short and the nights are long and lonely. It doesn't really matter to his partners that he's quite selfish in bed, using their bodies only as a way to satiate his own thirst. No, somehow, this siren always leaves his companions feeling rather full and charmed, as if they had spent the entire night confirming their undying love for one another, instead of fucking without expectation of anything more.

There are the troublesome ones, who think they can take advantage of this boy, who at first glance is like the gentle bluegrass, easily crushed with the slightest provocation. Very quickly would they find themselves in precarious positions. A few even with serious injuries to their most precious area, forcing them to give up dreams of ever having children.

At present, the siren heads towards his usual haunt, the Sweet Brier Inn. It’s one of five inns in Hanjuyang that not only serve affordable and delicious foods and drink, but also the most palatable courtesans in the Eastern territory. These five establishments are considered the decorative petals of a precious bloom, namely, the Rose Palace, which is the main attraction in the Entertainment Strip.

Sweet Brier caters to both the poor and wealthy, though the latter are usually wet behind the ears, have a death wish, or have ugly tastes that none of the other inns would cater to. This is just fine for one like the Rat, who is like the lazy bear in a river full of fat salmon, simply needing to hold open his mouth to catch a tasty snack. It's usual for him to come away with a pocket full of coin and pilfered goods by the time he tires of the place, which is enough to keep him entertained through the rest of the week.

Rin ambles along the bustling main street, munching on a stolen steamed bun. It burns the tips of his fingers and the roof of his mouth when he bites into it. The bun is sweet and fluffy, and the pork is rich with the perfect amount of spice.

In the distance, he can see the High District, a view afforded to him by the slant of Aran Mountain upon which Hanjuyang sprawls. The famous White Lotus Lake is hidden by the clouds, never once seen by those outside of the High District. The Hwan estate skims the underbelly of those clouds. It’s where the Governor of this city resides, the main mansion near invisible save for the strange flicker of white that one might catch with a turn of his head. The estate is closer than any other to the Watchtower, the latter reaching into the sky with a blazing face, a glassy orb on a sceptre, flowing an eerie cerulean blue. Within that orb sits the Watcher, the eyes and ears of the Mother in this glorious, broken city.

Stories are exchanged between the children of Hanjuyang: the Watcher drags away people into the maw of the tower to feed upon. The Watcher has no face, no flesh. The Watcher is a ghoul that was created by the Mother, a mindless beast that must be fed to appease, lest it unleash its terrible ire upon the city...

Rin pops the rest of the bun into his mouth as he studies the orb nestled into the mountain. The eye of a slumbering giant, disturbed by the revelry at her base. He suppresses a shiver and continues on towards Sweet Brier.

3