Chapter 8: One Gold Coin
68 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CW: Violence, gore, explicit language. 


Jun's back hits the brick wall when he instinctively moves away from the encroaching figure. He feels a little dazed as he stares into those deep, pitch eyes, where all light is instantly engulfed by the roiling darkness within. In all his life, he's never seen such frightful, fascinating eyes, and he has to remind himself that this is a person and not some kind of beautiful spectre come to steal his soul.

"I never knew that Lord Hwan's youngest son would have such sordid tastes," the spectre hums, looking much too pleased with himself as he slowly closes the gap between them. "Are you here for sex, drugs or...something else?"

When his feet bump the other's, their chests are but a foot apart. In this rather intimate position, Rin can see that the other boy's height easily surpasses his own - at least by a head or so. He has to tilt his head up at an embarrassingly sharp angle, which causes his flush to deepen. Feeling a prickle of irritation, he slams his hands against the lord's chest, pushing him against the wall. A soft grunt leaves Jun's lips, his goldens widening a tad at the sudden aggression.

"None--" The little lord's voice cracks and he quickly clears his throat. "None of those...things. I am simply here to understand your..." He trails off, realising that his words were quite tactless. "I am visiting. Miss, may I ask, how do you know who I am?"

A fine black brow rises at the word 'Miss', but he doesn't seem too displeased by the term. "It's obvious. The lion. It's your family emblem, isn't it?" He gestures impatiently to the sheathe. "And as far as I know, only Lord Hwan's youngest son currently lives in Hanjuyang. So I presume that's you. Also, it's Rin, not Miss. Rin the Rat."

"The Rat...?" Jun's lips quirk into an amused smile, light shifting in those brilliant goldens. "That is a rather unique name, Rin the Rat. A pleasure to meet you. I am the Fifth Lord Hwan Jun, as you have so correctly and astutely deduced. Though you may simply call me Jun."

An odd look comes over Rin's face. "Do you always speak like that?"

"Hm?" The little lord shifts awkwardly, trying not to accidentally bump the smaller body. "Like what, precisely?"

"...Never mind," Rin huffs a laugh, running his fingers over the lord's firm chest. "Let me guess. You're helplessly lost and in need of a guide."

"What gives you that impression?" Jun smiles, though he can't help but swallow at the other's soft touches. "Do I look helpless?"

"Like a lamb. It's either that or you're the biggest idiot in the East. What did you think was going to happen when you waved around that giant purse of yours? You can't be that stupid, can you?" The Rat pauses, blinking at the noble. "Can you??"

"Well...in hindsight, I do admit it was rather careless of me," Jun chuckles, not at all offended by other's words. "This is my first time here actually. Since I will be taking over my father's position soon, I thought it would be prudent to do some research. See how our most overlooked citizens live--"

"Overlooked? By who? You?" Rin raises his brows, looking both exasperated and amused. "Oh, pet. We're not overlooked. You just don't care."

Jun frowns and sets his jaw. "I do. I care."

"I'm sure you do." Care enough to appease your own guilt, maybe. Rin inwardly sighs and presses his body against the lord's, already tired of this conversation.

"Ah." Jun blinks when he suddenly finds himself intimately sandwiched between a brick wall and an incredibly soft and warm body. "May I ask, Rin. Could you please move back a little? We are quite close..."

"Yes, we are, aren't we?" Rin moves even closer, hands pressing against the wall on either side of Jun's waist. A sensual smile graces his pillowy pink lips, capturing the noble's attention.

Oh, this Rat has devoured nobles before. Some of them detestable and violent. Others completely wet behind the ears and overwhelmed. But he's never had one from such a powerful and wealthy household. Imagine that. If he manages to hook this whale, how well he'd be able to eat and drink for days - no, weeks, without having to lift a single finger.

Rin pulls out a gold coin from his pocket and slips it between his teeth. He raises himself onto his tip toes and angles his head, closing the gap between their faces. Breaths mingle and heat radiates. His tender mouth grazes against the other as he slips the coin between Jun's lips.

The lord stares down at him with heavy, hooded eyes, expression unreadable.

"There," the Rat breathes, fingertips grazing Jun's sharp jawline. "I bought you. So now you have to play with me."

They stare at each other for what seems like eternity, neither one willing or able to move. The air is thick and tense between them, so much so that it seems as though they'd suffocate. Hearts tremble in tandem. Blood burns within their veins. Their awareness narrows until their entire world is the other, filling their senses with a being both so familiar and not...

A figure flashes in Jun's periphery.

The coin tumbles from his lips and bounces across the cobblestones.

"Move!" He shoves the raven to the side as a rusty blade stabs forth. It meets the air, narrowly missing flesh.

Blade meets blade, the lord's sword smashing into the rusted dagger, his face impassive and cold. Though the strength of Jun's hand is near impossible to endure, Tiger manages to hold onto his weapon, returning with a wild stab at the lord's belly.

Jun swiftly dodges. The dagger stabs brick and sheers off to the side with a grating noise that sets the teeth on edge.

"Just stay still--" Tiger growls, spinning around to follow his target with his weapon. "--and let me kill you!"

The lord grunts, meeting another slash with his sword. "Why must you kill me? I would be worth more to you alive, would I not?" He gracefully spins around the shorter man and hits his opponent square in his back with his free hand. Tiger goes staggering forward, body folded over by the surprising force of the blow.

Shoulders heaving with harsh breaths, Tiger twists to face the lord, baring his yellow teeth in a mirthless grin. "Maybe I changed my mind. There's a big market for fresh corpses these days and they pay thrice more than the slavers do."

"That's despicable," Jun says flatly, his tone hollow with anger. "How could you do such a thing, merely for coin?"

The man tosses his dagger from hand to hand as he prowls around Jun, tongue flitting out to wet his lips. "I bet you've never been hungry before, have you? Not really hungry. The kind that makes you feel like you're being eaten from the inside out. The kind that makes you so numb you don't even feel human anymore." He sneers and points his dagger, body tensed and hunched, ready to spring forward. "Once you experience that kinda hunger, then you might be able to understand."

Rin flops over and dazes, just jumbled limbs amongst the wood. He watches his knight raise his sword and meet the villain’s attack, blade flashing in the sunlight with every powerful sweep and graceful arc, blinking lights in the golden haze that inundates his vision.

He knows he should leave. He knows that nothing good will come out of this fight. And yet, his body is locked in place by a force beyond his control, his eyes stuck fast to the strong, agile figure of his knight.

Jun's demeanor is calm and easy as he defends against Tiger's desperate attacks, though he seems to be greatly restraining himself. He could end this in one sweep of the sword and yet he's reluctant to.

Perhaps it's because this time, he might end up doing something he'd truly regret.

Never once has he ever looked upon another human being with the same profound disgust and pity as he does this man. The acute fury that courses through him is maddening, threatening to turn his defensive actions into keen, lethal offences. Every snap of his blade could be the last.

But when Tiger intensifies his attacks, Jun begins to waver.

Seeing an opening, Tiger grins and feints with his blade before lashing out with a sudden, brutal kick. The little lord doubles over with a shocked grunt, a gut churning agony exploding from his most precious area. The sword clatters to the ground and he drops to his knees, clasping at himself as he gasps for air. While this isn't the first time he's ever felt this agony, it's not the kind one could ever learn to endure.

Tiger's not as merciful as the lord. He's already revving up for another attack, dagger leaping from hand to hand like a menacing metronome.

Jun grits his teeth and heaves himself to his feet, swaying a little from the relentless throbs of pain. He makes a grab for his sword--

--and his hand grazes cobblestone.

That's when he realises, much too late, there's a second attacker he'd foolishly not accounted for.

Mangy cat steps up behind Jun, wielding the lord's sword clumsily in both hands. He raises the lethal blade and slashes down, shrieking with sadistic glee.

Before the sword bites into flesh, a small figure throws itself between Jun and the blade, arms clamping around the lord's waist.

White fire bursts across Rin's back from shoulder to hip. Vantablacks widen in shock, lips parting to release a broken cry. He tries to cling onto his knight but his body betrays him. Slender arms weaken in their hold and slip down the lord's sides. The small figure crumples like a lifeless doll, blood gushing from the ugly wound and flooding the crevasses in the cobblestone.

Spinning around, Jun sees Rin's crumpled body and his hesitancy dissipates in an instant.

With cold, ruthless efficiency, Jun grabs mangy cat by the hair, gives a brutal twist, and slams his head into the wall. There's not a flinch nor a waver in expression as he brains the villain. Screams turn to cries turn to gurgling whistles.

Mangy cat slides down the wall, leaving behind a gory streak. Jun kicks his limp body aside with little regard.

Tiger's next. Four lethal cracks to the head, one after the other without pause for breath, and the man is dismantled in the blink of an eye.

A short silence follows, filled with the rush of blood in his ears and his thunderous pulse.

The ground lurches as Rin tries to push himself upright, limbs numb and trembling as if he were chilled. His face is a ghastly white and a heavy sweat beads his brow. Cognisance is fleeting, a rapidly dwindling luxury. A voice calls to him through the murk. Are you alright? A figure crouches before him, bringing with it a gentle fragrance of warm spices.

Rin reaches for those broad shoulders, leaning most of his weight against this sturdy body. His teeth chatters, scattering his breaths. Black lashes tremble over dimming eyes.

Why did you do that? Why did you save me?

"I d-dunno..." His eyes slide shut and his fragile breath flutters. "I j-just...didn't want them to...ruin you..." Hot wetness rapidly spreads across his back and soaks into his pants. "I feel...strange..." His voice fades into a whisper as he rapidly descends into shock.

Jun feels panic clog his throat. Ice seeps into his veins when he chances a look at the youth's blood drenched back. The heavy wound is like a gory cavern with white bone peeking out between chunks of raw flesh.

Pushing down a wave of nausea, Jun quickly grabs the hem of his robes and tugs sharply, ripping long strips of fabric from the priceless garment. He presses the cleanest part of the fabric against the mangled flesh and wraps the makeshift bandage around the bloodied torso, securing it with tight pulls with every wind.

On the cusp of consciousness, the raven is struck with blistering heat, shearing through his flesh. He lets out a wretched cry and jerks from the lord's touch, only calming when the latter murmurs softly in comfort.

By the time Jun finishes dressing the wound, Rin has fallen deathly silent. His body limp and heavy against his chest. Without a thought, he collects his bloodied sword and scoops the unconscious boy into his arms. The raven's form feels so small and fragile, like it's on the verge of shattering with the slightest of pressures.

Jun rushes out into the main street, blood soaking into his white robes and dripping freely through his fingers. He shouts for help through panicked breaths and stumbles over his own feet in haste. But not a single soul spares him a glance.

It's too common a sight in the Slums, where the dead walk alongside the living and resignation means survival.

So the little lord rushes on, unable to bear this broken District and its broken people. And he can't help but think that he might have already failed before he'd even truly begun.

3