Chapter 12: Lee
57 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CW: Explicit language, mentions of s*icide, mentions of sex, mental illness.

Extra chapter this week~  (ノ^ヮ^)ノ*:・゚✧


From his window, Rin has a view of the estate grounds and the main manor painted that illusory white.

Hwan White, it's called, a colour invented by the late Lady Hwan who was an avid painter in her time. The colour uses pigments made from the finest razor tree roots and the creamy white scales of a cloudfish. When painted on a surface, Hwan White becomes more reflective than a mirror, lending it an ethereal, shimmering quality.

Since the manor is painted entirely in Hwan White, it's near invisible at certain times during the day and completely so at night. At sunset and sunrise, the building blazes like it's been set alight, casting a dazzling golden glow over the city of Hanjuyang.

Rin sits on the window sill, one leg dangling in the air as he gazes at the manor. It's unnerving, seeing servants and estate workers rush to and from the main house, seemingly disappearing into the nether, only to re-emerge out of thin air. The utility of such a magical paint is expansive and Rin can't help but think of a variety of schemes involving Hwan White. One includes painting his entire body in the stuff and using it to break into the impenetrable mansions in the High District.

The sun momentarily disappears behind a thick white cloud, casting a cool shadow over the grounds. Rin closes his eyes and leans his head back against the window frame, feeling the sweat dry on his face. He had intended to leave days ago and yet he still remains. Jun hasn't kicked him out and Lord Hwan still remains in the Blue Plains attending to business. The servants, guards, and Mira treat him with indifference, if not with a modicum of disdain, and they tolerate him only because of how attached Jun is to this street rat. While he does miss the Slums, Rin has quickly come to appreciate the comfort and safety of the guest house. Not to mention his little lord, who he is increasingly reluctant to part from.

After they shared that sweet, innocent kiss, Jun had fallen asleep despite Rin's best efforts to initiate further intimacy. In the morning, Jun seemed to have completely forgotten about the kiss, simply greeting him with a sunny smile before rushing off to his morning lessons. Since then, neither of them have spoken on it or tried to initiate anything more.

This made the Rat uneasy. He was so sure that he'd caught Jun in the alleyway. The moment when he slipped that gold coin between Jun's lips, he knew. He was so certain. And yet...

"He's a total virgin," Rin mutters, lips pursed in irritation. "I can't believe he forgot..."

"Forgot what?"

The raven opens his eyes and glances down at the gravel path below the window. A tall, gangly guard is peering up at him, one hand shielding his eyes from the emerging sun and the other resting upon his hip. From here, it's difficult to make out this man's features, but it's clear that he's around ten or so years older than the Rat.

"You're not going to jump, are you?" the guard continues, his voice slightly nasally and overtly friendly. "I know being cooped up for days can do your head in, but I don't recommend jumping. At least not from this height."

"Oh?" Rin drawls, brow raised above half lidded eyes. "Then how high should I go?"

"At least five stories if you want a certain death." The guard flashes him a smile and lowers the hand shielding his face.

When the sunlight drenches his healthy, tanned skin, Rin can see that this man has a rather pleasant face to look at. His eyes are in perpetual crescents with laughing lines carved deep into the corners. His nose is strong, and his jaw is chiseled and sharp. His black hair is neatly slicked back as is required of all guards, and he's dressed handsomely in his white and gold armour. It's a flashy design but the guards rarely wear this uniform off the estate. The man has a slightly gaunt look however, as if he doesn't get enough to eat.

Always swayed by pretty things, Rin's interest is peaked as he pours his dark gaze over the guard's visage. This is perfect. He'd been bored all day and looking for an opportunity to hassle some poor soul.

This guard seems fun. Very fun.

He curls his lips into a coquettish smile and swings his other leg out the window. Two bare feet kick at the warm air playfully. His white robes ripple around his calves, sleeves caught by the same passing breeze and fluttering like the wings of a dove preparing for flight. Several stray locks pull free from the ribbon trying to contain them and flick gently at his face. Hellebore eyes are like two endless pits, ruthlessly dragging the guard into their boundless depths.

"What's your name, pet?" Rin calls down in a lilt.

The guard grins, his teeth crooked in a roguish, charming way. "You can call me Lee. And you are the Rat."

"Indeed. Does my reputation precede me, Lee?" The Rat sweeps rogue charcoal locks from his face, the smirk on his face deepening.

"Tremendously so. But I must warn you. While jumping from that height won't kill you, it would definitely be high enough to injure you." There's a hint of concern in the guard's voice as he moves closer to the window. At this distance, Lee's head is bent back at a sharper angle, and his handsome face is all the clearer.

"Oh? Is that a fact?" Rin flashes a wicked grin. He pulls himself up to stand on the window ledge, both hands gripping the frame on either side. "Wanna test your theory?"

Lee starts and raises his hands, giving a dismayed shout. "Get down from there! Are you insane? I was only joking."

"But I wasn't." Rin flashes him a grin of his own, beatific and stunning in Solaris' heat. He throws his arms out to the sides as if he were about to take flight. "I wonder. If I leap from this angle, would I land on my legs or my head?" Laughter bubbles as the colour drains from Lee's face. Oh, he's too easy. 

The youth sways in the breeze, rocking back and forth precariously. This incites another shout from the guard, who skitters from side to side beneath the window, ready to catch him should he fall.

In truth, Rin's easily jumped from greater heights, having developed a great agility from his career as a thief. A fall from this height is a doozy, but it's much too fun teasing the poor guard, who's now hunched over panting, the armour weighing heavy upon his thin frame.

"Why...are you...doing this...?" Lee squeezes out between pants, wiping the sweat from his brow. He squints up at Rin with a grimace, looking hopelessly bullied.

The raven lets out a giddying laugh, cheeks flushed and eyes shining unsteadily. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe I'm just lonely, pet. Maybe I'm just craving attention."

"Then crave it in a safer way!" the man yells, gripping at his hair with both hands.

"But I am safe," Rin sings, rocking in a more precarious manner. He looks rather peaceful up on that ledge, the sunlight soaking into his wistful visage. "Because you'll catch me, won't you, pet?" And with that, he tilts forward and dives from the window.

As soon as he sees the youth fall, Lee instinctively holds out his arms and adjusts his stance, bracing himself. A soft body crashes into his arms, a mess of limbs, hair, and robes. The man grunts and drops down to his knee to soften the impact. Thankfully, the boy is rather light, and Lee takes a mere moment to recover before straightening up again.

Rin sprawls in the guard's arms, flushed and exhilarated. "Nice catch," he gasps, ringing his arms around Lee's neck. He gives him a squeeze, pecks his nose, and jumps out of his arms in one fluid motion. "See? I told you I was safe."

Lee tries to calm his racing heart, utterly bewildered by the Rat's antics. He straightens out his uniform and quickly scans the boy, checking him for any injuries. "You shouldn't fool around like that," he growls, dismay twisting his features. "What if you hurt yourself? What were you thinking?"

Rin stretches languidly with his face raised to Solaris. His smile is smug and curled at the corners, like a cat with a belly full of cream. "Aw, did I scare you? Don't worry. I use that window more than the door. It's quicker that way." Without waiting for Lee to respond, he begins sauntering down the path, humming tunelessly.

Releasing a great sigh, the older man begins following close behind, regretting his decision to engage with this troublesome youth. "Even so. You really shouldn't be so reckless." He pauses, brows furrowing in consternation. "Aren't you still recovering? How's your wound? "

"Nope, all healed," Rin hums, plucking a pink bloom from the rose bush as he passes by. "Just waiting to get my stitches removed."

Lee speeds up until he falls into step with his young charge, glancing at him curiously. "I heard you were injured while protecting the young master."

"That's right. If it weren't for me, Fifth Lord Hwan Jun would be nothing but mulch by now." Rin holds the flower to his nose to sniff and he nibbles at a petal.

"You have my gratitude, Rat," Lee says, crescent eyes twinkling. "The young master is precious to us. It is good that he has such a reliable friend to watch over him."

"Now aren't you the sweetest?"

When a smaller path splits away, Rin follows that one instead, feeling a bit peckish. The path winds through an orchard, the bright red fruits hanging low and ripe from every tree they pass. The Rat snatches one and slips it into his pocket.

"May I ask...why has the young master posted guards at your door? Are you being threatened?" Lee also picks a fruit, admiring the rich colour before pocketing it for himself.

"Hm. I suppose it is a kind of threat," Rin glances at the guard, a hint of irritation in his expression. "He's trying to protect me in his own way, I guess. But a couple of dunderhead guards aren't going to keep this threat out."

"Fitz and Yeri are good men." Lee frowns at the younger man.

"They barely look at me. Every time I try to talk to them, they just stiffen up. And not in the way I like."

"Guards are for guarding, not socialising. They are doing their job well."

"Whatever," Rin scoffs, rolling his eyes. "Can't you do something about it? Maybe if you're the one guarding me, I wouldn't be so damn bored."

"Are you insinuating that I am bad at my job?"

"Yes. No. Kinda." The raven sighs and throws his arms around the man's waist, peering up at him with big black eyes. "You're way more fun than the other guys. I knew it the moment I saw you."

"Yeah, yeah. Just keep your hands to yourself, Rat." Lee untangles himself from his charge's embrace and continues on at his own pace. "You are...not quite what I'd expected," he adds in a murmur.

Rin huffs and ambles after the guard, annoyed that the latter seems to be impervious to his charm. He idly scrapes away the thorns on the rose stalk with his nail before sticking it behind his right ear. "Sorry to disappoint," he says, clapping the mess from his hands.

"No. Sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. You are...a unique personality," Lee amends, pausing to glance back at the boy. He rubs the back of his neck when he sees the pink rose tucked behind Rin's ear. The colour compliments the raven well, drawing out the soft rosy hue in his cheeks. The man seems a little confused by the sight, his brows pinched together in consternation.

"Unique's one way of putting it, I suppose," the Rat snorts, picking more apples and stowing them away in his robes. "It's my mother's fault, you know. Everyone says I inherited her madness."

"Her madness?" Lee frowns, picking an especially beautiful apple from a high branch. He offers it to Rin and the boy tucks it away with the others. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well, if you think I'm bad, she's ten times worse."

"...that is concerning."

"See?"

The guard reclines against a tree, savouring the cool shade. He watches Rin continue to pick apples, a touch of pity in his eyes. "What about...your father? Does he help you and your mother?"

"He's not around," Rin says, dryly. "We're doing perfectly fine without him."

"Where is he?"

"I dunno. Out West somewhere."

"You don't miss him?"

"Fuck no," Rin snaps, shooting a glare at the nosy guard. "What's it to you anyway?"

Lee raises a hand in surrender, indicating that he'd finished questioning the boy.

Rin huffs and points at one of the higher branches. "Be useful and grab that one for me."

The guard smiles and obediently picks the indicated apple. In fact, he picks a few and hands them over to his charge.

"How long have you been working here?" Rin asks, head bent as he counts his treasure trove. "You don't act like the other guards. They all tend to ignore me or treat me like a criminal." Which I am, but still. 

"Mn. Most of them are Silverswords so they don't take too kindly to Slummers." Lee pauses, tilting his head to make a quick calculation. "This would be my sixth year working for the Hwans."

The raven raises his head, squinting at Lee. "So you'd know quite a bit about them."

"Indeed I would."

"Know anything about Lady Hwan?" Rin asks casually, biting into an apple with relish.

Lee frowns, scrubbing at his jaw. "I know what I've heard," he says, cautiously.

"Which is...?" Hellebore eyes bore into the guard, daring him to avoid his question.

The guard swallows, sweat prickling his collar. "Ah. Not much. But she seemed like a rather well liked Lady. Treated everyone around her with respect, including the estate servants and workers."

"How did she die?" Rin asks, licking the apple juice from his lips.

"...I don't know. There are many rumours but no-one knows for sure."

"Why's that? Surely someone would have seen her croak."

Lee grimaces at the boy's insensitive remark. "Only a few remain from the time the Lady was alive and none of them are willing to share what befell the Lady."

"Weird. Reckon the Governor killed her? Maybe he caught her having an affair." Rin hums in thought, the sweet flesh of the apple pressed against his pursed lips.

"It wouldn't do to ruminate on these things. The dead should be left to rest." Lee smiles and plops a hand on the boy's head. "You're asking for the young master, aren't you?"

Rin scowls and ducks under the guard's hand, rubbing furiously at his head. "So what if I am? You're of no use anyway." He launches the half-eaten fruit at the man's head, but the latter easily side-steps the ranged attack.

"You care deeply for him."

"Like hell I do," the raven jeers, cheeks a blazing red.

Lee's eyes glint knowingly above his smile, but he keeps his mouth shut to avoid stirring the lad's ire further.

When Rin tires of picking apples, he grabs the guard's arm with both hands and gazes up at him with imploring eyes. "Tell me something, Lee. Where do the Hwans keep their best liquor?"

"You shouldn't drink. It's not good for your recovery."

"Come on, pet. Why don't you show me around the main mansion? A little sneak peek in the cellar, maybe?"

"Absolutely not."

"Please?"

"Ask the young master."

"I have and he's promised me a tour. He's just been so busy."

The guard scratches at his temple. "Can't you be patient? I'm sure if you waited-"

"I'm not patient at all. And when I get restless, I do things like jumping out of second floor windows and stealing the Hwan's best liquor. Who knows, maybe I'll even chat up Fitz and Yeri for a good hard fuck. It's been a while since I've been in a cock sandwich-"

"The mouth on you!" Lee bursts out, eyes bulging in shock.

Rin smirks and sidles up to him, pressing his body against the older man's. "It's the best in Hanjuyang, if you're willing to try~"

Finally succeeding in shaking the man, Rin struggles to stifle a laugh as he drinks in the guard's twisted visage. Still human, he does feel a flicker of pity so he steps back to give the man some room to breathe. "I'm just asking for a quick look around. And maybe a tiny glass of wine. I've been so parched."

Lee heaves a weary sigh and gives the boy another odd look. One of deep perplexity as if Rin were a complex puzzle he couldn't yet solve. "A quick look," he says sternly, knowing in his heart that he would also come to regret this decision. "And maybe if you ask the cook nice enough, she will give you a taste of some wine. But you must behave, Rat. Do you understand?"

Rin claps his hands together, eyes wide and shimmering with excitement. "Understood!"


Rin: 🍆🥪?

Fitz & Yeri: ( (≪●≫) )Д( (≪●≫) )

3