Chapter 40: A Clear Path
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CW: Explicit language, mentions of trauma/physical injuries.


“They’ve started talking,” Guildmaster Iris says, the demure pinch of her pursed lips kissing the rim of her teacup. She looks out over the gardens, the blossoms hanging low on groaning branches like ripe fruit.

Bucky sighs and kneels down with a tray of snacks, her expression grim. “Only a few and even then they seem to have trouble recalling exact events.”

“Even if they do talk, there’s no point to it,” Rin scoffs, grabbing a sliced apple to crunch on. “The Governor’s not interested in investigating this properly. Blossom’s probably started up a new Church somewhere and Kahin…” He falters, dropping his gaze to the fibrous fruit. His fingers turn white and juices rise to the surface. “She’s untouchable.”

“An unsurprising response,” Iris says, coldly. “The Governor has always been slow to move on matters outside of the High District.”

Jun frowns, his tongue heavy and useless as if it were made of lead. A quick jab to the arm shocks him from his stupor. “I know he’s your old man,” Rin says, “but there’s no need to feel guilty for him. You’re irrelevant in this conversation, got it?”

A hint of a smile touches Jun’s face and he gives a short nod. Though he keeps his mouth clamped, as if afraid to speak.

“So what do you suggest we do?” Rin asks the Guildmaster. “If the Governor’s not gonna do anything, then we have to, right?”

“Must we?” Iris raises a brow as she calmly gazes at the irascible youth. “We are but simple Hunters. Any assistance we have provided is due to the fact that this happened in our territory. However, anything more would be to make a move against the Mother herself.”

“So far it’s pure speculation,” Bucky raises, setting the unladen tray to the side. Today, she’s dressed in the Hunter’s garb - simple earthen tone bottoms and shirt with soft leather boots. Her hair is pulled up in a neat ponytail and her round face is bare, exposing her cool, silvery beauty. It’s jarring seeing the ex-Rose without the trademark mask, but also very befitting. “Rin, how certain are you that the Mother is behind Blossom?”

“He pretty much confirmed it,” Rin grumbles, wiping his sticky fingers clean on the front of his pale blue robes.

“He explicitly told you this?”

“...not explicitly. But it was damn obvious, alright?”

Bucky sighs sharply, giving Rin a narrow look. “If there is no certainty, then we cannot possibly make our request to the Guildmaster. It would not be fair of us, especially since the Hunters have long been a neutral party.”

“You’re not neutral,” Rin sneers, turning his glare to the impassive Guildmaster. “You’re kissing the Mother’s feet, just like everyone else in this city.”

“And you?” Iris raises her eyes and meets the youth’s glare evenly. “You are rather derisive of the ones who feed and shelter you. Are you not receiving the Governor’s hospitality? He, who has the Mother’s ear above all Ministers in the High District.”

I don’t give a shit about the Governor!” the raven snaps, slamming his fist down on the low table. Cups and plates rattle. Tea spills and makes small interconnected lakes upon the ebony wood. “I’m a Slummer. Think I’d cosy myself up to those High District assholes?”

“Then why are you there, Rat? Why does the Governor’s youngest son sit beside you?”

Rin hesitates. He glances at Jun, the latter who gazes back at him with dark eyes. There’s trepidation there. Uncertainty. An underlying guilt that the lord can’t seem to shake.

“Jun’s not them,” he growls, whipping his glare back to Iris. “He’s a clueless idiot, sure. But he’s not the Governor. He...he cares.” His cheeks burn, but the soft touch at his back makes it all worth the while.

The Guildmaster stares at the two boys silently, almond eyes flitting between them. Realisation makes them gape and she quickly raises the cup to her lips to sip. Eventually, she says, “I understand your reasons. However, my position remains the same. I will not risk my people on simple hearsay and speculation. I will continue my support as is - putting eyes on Kahin and sniffers out for Blossom. Nothing more than that.”

“What about the other Roses? The ones still trapped in the Palace?” Rin scowls, turning his ire to Bucky. “Or did you forget about them already?”

“I have been a Rose for ten years, Rin,” Bucky says, curtly. Her stormy eyes flash like lightning. The subsequent thunder - her own stirring ire. “I have been trying to expose Kahin and Blossom’s operation for years. I could have walked away any time I wanted and yet I did not. Does it make any sense for me to stop caring now?”

“So all those years of spying and taking notes in that tiny notebook of yours - what do you have to show for it? In the end, I was the one who had to make the first move. I was the one who freed those Roses. I acted when you hadn’t and now...now...” Unable to finish his sentence, he instead releases a barrage of loud curses and shoots to his feet. He paces to the edge of the numaru to glare out over the quad. “I’m the one who had to pay for your inaction,” he finally says, voice low and quiet.

“No, Rin.” Bucky balls her hands in her lap, nails piercing her palms. “I admit, I was weak. I was weak and much too lenient with the Madame, but I made my decision that night. You were there, were you not? I made my choice and I still stand by it. What we must now focus on is how to stop her once and for all. Like you said, the Roses we left behind should be our priority.”

Rin falls into a glum silence then, his shoulders tense as he darkly ruminates. The other three also fall into an uneasy silence until Jun finally speaks.

“Where have your ‘sniffers’ placed Father Blossom, Guildmaster?” He leans forward to politely refill Iris’ cup. “I believe he is key to solving this issue. If we can get his official testimony, it would be enough to arrest and interrogate Madame Kahin. Even if we were forced to release her, we could have due cause to bring her Roses into custody, thereby freeing them.”

Iris gives the noble an interested look, the corner of her painted lips subtly rising. “The last report states that Blossom is in Taecho, a trading city with the biggest port in the East. This is a very good place for a fugitive to be.”

“Do we currently know his exact whereabouts?”

“Unfortunately no. My Hunters spent a week searching for him to no avail. It has been a few days since the last report, so the situation may have changed since then.”

“Remember Jun, there are other witnesses who could provide us with a testimony,” Bucky interjects, brows furrowing.

Rin scoffs. “You think the Silverswords would take their testimonies seriously?”

“Why not?”

“Because they’re whores and junkies, Bucky, why else?” he says loudly, turning to throw a wry smile at the woman. “Father Blossom is a famous scientist from the North who works for the Mother. His word has more value to those assholes.”

Jun rubs his nape, frowning deeply. “But Rinnie...the justice system entitles all voices to be heard, not just those with influence or power--”

“Do you really believe that?” Rin retorts, folding his arms.

Jun visibly hesitates, uncertainty flickering.

Bucky concedes with a heavy sigh. “Then Father Blossom is key.”

“There is one other option. We could storm the Rose Palace.”

“If you have a death wish, go ahead,” Iris says, dryly.

Rin sucks his teeth, all prickle and edge. “It was just an idea. I don’t see you offering any proper solutions, Neutral Party.

“And how do you propose to storm the Rose Palace?”

“We gather as many people as we can, anyone who can fight, and we force our way in. If there’s more of us than them, it’ll be easy. We can break the Roses out and bring them here within the hour.”

“Who will fight for you, Rat?” Iris challenges sharply. “Who will risk their life and limb to raise arms on your behalf?”

Rin narrows his eyes, anger flaring. “Plenty of people. I got half the Slums wrapped around my finger. They’d do anything for me, especially if I promise them a night. I tell them to fight for me, they will. And more.”

“Are you certain of your abilities? Even now? You will need a veritable army to achieve what you are proposing. Would you be able to raise an entire army in your current state?” Those incredulous almond eyes flit to the raven’s wounds, lingering on the eyepatch and ruined skin.

Something violent yanks at his guts and his vision flashes white with pure, unfettered rage. A fist slams into the wooden post, red pine juddering under the force of his fist. Crushing pain lancing up his arm tells him of bruised knuckles, perhaps even fractures.

Jun leaps to his feet and paces towards the heaving raven, hands outstretched. “Guildmaster Iris,” he says in a barbed tone, “while I do understand your concerns, I believe you may have gone too far.” He grips Rin’s shoulder, squeezing tightly to ground the youth.

Stern goldens lock onto cool almonds, both stares as intense and penetrating as the other.

“Rin, the Guildmaster has a point,” Bucky sighs, wearily. “Even if you were able to rally enough people to break into the Palace, do you think that we’ll be let go unscathed? What happens afterwards? We’re just giving the Silverswords more of a reason to imprison and kill us. We have to do this the proper way.”

“We mustn’t be too rash, Rinnie,” Jun adds in a hushed voice, turning his gaze to the seething Rat.

The Guildmaster straightens out her skirt, smoothing out the creases as she contemplates their words. “Sit down, Rat. Learn to better your defenses. Your scars will be with you for a lifetime and your hand can only sustain so much injury.”

Rin shrugs off the lord’s hand and stalks up to the Guildmaster. He stands mere inches away from her, rudely encroaching on her space. Hellebore burns a hole in the woman’s skull as he glares down his nose at her, scorn turning his words caustic. “I don’t need a good face to get what I want. I can get an army as easily as you get those gods-awful outfits. How about it, hm? When I have my own army, we can judge my abilities then.”

Iris gazes straight ahead, not bothering to look up at the irascible youth. She continues drinking tea, as calm as ever. “Whether or not you can create an army is irrelevant to the current plan.”

She made me her Perfect Rose!” Rin snarls, glaring at all three individuals with a wild eye. Soft crimson glows in the murky depth. “She made me do things I can never take back. She burned my house down and...and she killed my mother.” He fists his hands so tightly, he draws blood. His gaze narrows, turns hazy. His voice becomes a mere rasp. Broken with emotion. “This is my decision. Mine! I earned this!

A heavy silence falls over the numaru.

Bucky stares down at her hands, impassive and pale. “And what of the Roses we rescued from Blossom?” she says, quietly. “What of them? Do they get a say in this? Their lives are destroyed. Their minds are permanently broken. Half of them will never be able to live and work independently ever again. Have they not earned this?” She raises her tired eyes to Rin, a hint of a rueful smile.

The Guildmaster frowns at the raven. “Fear not, Rat. You will get your justice. But you are acting like a child. Calm down. Sit down. And rethink what you want. We have a solid plan. A clear path ahead. All you have to do is to keep in line and ensure that you do not bring more attention to yourself than you already have. You jeopardise this plan and neither you, nor those Roses, will ever get your justice. Do you understand?”

Rin wants to bite back. The suppressed rage and grief strains against the shoddy dam he’s built for himself, cracks and holes already threatening stability. And he also hears the truth in their words. No matter how much he wants Kahin in his hands, it won’t happen through brute force. He’ll have to do the one thing he’s always hated the most - be patient.

He gives Jun a suffering look. The lord stands taut when he sees that wretched expression, his throat rolling as he swallows the painful lump in his throat. “I think...this has been enough for today,” he says, softly. Though to whom, it’s unclear. “Guildmaster. Bucky. My sincere apologies, however I think we must take our leave.”

***

On their journey back to the High District, Rin is unusually quiet, even as Jun takes his hand and chats to him about arbitrary topics he thinks his friend might enjoy. Anything to keep his mind away from painful memories.

“Ah...and I decided that perhaps I do enjoy a good fisticuffs! Just the other day, Mira and I engaged in hand-to-hand and I was rather exhilarated. Usually, I dread the training as I enjoy the sword far more - however I think I understand why you might be so willing to engage in it. It is the sheer brutality, the calling to our primal urges. Though wrestling is still beyond me, I’m afraid.”

“Jun.”

The lord stops mindlessly yammering and glances at Rin. The raven’s staring ahead with trepidation. His pace slowing. Faltering.

“I feel crazy,” Rin monotones, “whenever I think about how she’s still at the Rose Palace, acting like nothing’s happened. I get so mad, I can’t think of anything else. And then...I start to think. Maybe she deserves to be burned to nothing as well. Have you ever been that mad?”

Jun swivels his gaze to the river, lazily drifting by. Though they are streets away, the incline affords them the view of those glittering waters.

“...I have,” the lord says, quietly. After a thought, he elaborates. “In the alley. I thought you were dead. Though you were but a stranger to me, the fact that an innocent person could have been killed due to my negligence...I have rarely been that angry.”

Rin pauses mid-step. “I would have liked to see that,” he murmurs, mostly to himself. Then, louder, “You know, I almost had her too. At Lady Nam’s, I had a knife to her throat. I keep thinking that I should have killed her. If only I had done it then, maybe none of this would have happened.”

“We cannot be judge and executioner, Rinnie. It is for my father to decide on her fate.”

“You say that so easily, but I know you don’t believe your old man to be a fair judge. Executioner? Sure.”

Jun encases Rin’s hand in both of his. The man’s palms are hot and dry. “Regardless, I do not think vigilante justice is the way forward. That is not the path we have chosen to take. Furthermore, if you had killed her back then, you would not be here today, walking along the promenade with me.” He gives the raven a furtive smile, but his gaze is a tad detached.

“Mn. I suppose so.” Rin’s countenance weakens. His heart flutters. Why does this clueless lord have such a hold over him? Just one smile drains him of his anger. For a brief moment, he’s almost convinced that everything is as it once was. Boring, simple, and free.

They continue on through the People’s District, winding past the Central Trading Quarter which teems with colourful stalls. And there’s Scholar’s Avenue, with students rushing along to their classes.

When they pass the Sweet Brier Inn, Rin can see the main street of the Slums stretching beyond. Familiar faces here and there. The scowling butcher. That old drunk he likes to rob every once in a while. And there’s an exceptionally tall woman, speaking with the vegetable stall owner--

Rin starts and hurries his pace, yanking Jun along. He lowers his head, letting his hair fall into his face.

The lord follows obediently, knowingly, as he glances over his shoulder at the Slums disappearing around the bend. “Rinnie,” he pants lightly, falling into step beside his friend. “Do you...wish to see her?”

“No. She’s probably gonna beat my ass for what happened. Have you ever been punched by a giant? It’s not as fun as you think--”

“I meant your mother, Rinnie.”

Breathing deeply, Rin slows his steps until he’s back at his original pace, if not slower. “...I can’t.” Two words come in a croak. Barely coherent.

Jun squeezes his hand. “When you are ready, I will go with you.”

There’s a weak smile in response, but true appreciation shines through his gaze. He grips the lord’s bicep with his free hand, clinging onto him tightly. “I can’t think about it right now,” he mumbles, pressing his forehead into Jun’s arm. The fabric of his shirt is cool and soft. He smells of floral soap and a hint of spice. “I can keep my head above the water, Jun. But if I think about it, even for a second, I feel like...I might actually lose control. And I can’t do that. Not right now.”

Jun releases a soft breath. “I understand, Rinnie. I will refrain from speaking on it.”

Solaris engulfs the two boys, their bodies febrile, intertwined. For a fleeting moment, they feel as if they are truly alone, with only their indulgent sentinel at zenith.

0