Chapter 42: The Crown Prince
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CW: Mentions of sex, violence.


Happy Holidays! And Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it~ (❁´‿`❁)*✲゚*

I don’t know how many of you actually read this silly story, but I really appreciate each and every one of my readers. I know that this novel isn’t the most enjoyable or easiest to read, so I am really thankful for those of you who have given it a chance.

Lots of love and hugs to you! And I hope you have a wonderful and healing holiday <3


The Crown Prince is in the palace arena, where he and the children of Ministers and palace officials play a game Rin’s not too familiar with. They are aiming guns of various kinds and quality at what appears to be mechanised beasts with circles of red splashed upon the wooden bodies. They are the size of men and move like foxes, skittering this way and that with various numbers of legs. Rin can’t help but gape at such creations, unconsciously shifting closer to Jun when one resembling a headless horse with eight legs and a fierce maw comes loping past.

Wood splinters as the nobles shoot at the beast and Rin slaps his hands over his ringing ears with a wince.

Jun gives him a pat on the shoulder. “We will not linger,” he says, leaning close to have his voice heard over the cracks of gunfire. His warm breath puffs against Rin’s ear. “I do not like the sound either. It is much too loud.”

“Halt your fire!” A commanding voice splits the air and, within seconds, silence descends on the area. The wooden beasts come to a standstill.

The owner of the voice is none other than the Crown Prince Hino Erie, a handsome man with height and aura on both boys. His striking blue eyes capture Rin, and despite the raven’s reservations, he can’t help but be swept away by his brilliant smile.

Erie sets down his pistol upon a small table and steps out from under the marquee, waving for them to join him. Well, waving for Jun to join him. Rin is but the lord’s silent shadow, not worth a single glance.

The other nobles gather around a large table which groans under countless plates of refreshments and drink. They chatter and laugh, occasionally calling out their greetings to Jun as the boys near.

“Jun! You took your godsdamned time!” Erie throws an arm around the lord’s shoulder and drags him into the shade, clapping a hand to his chest in a friendly manner. “You are just in time for the fifth round. I won the last three and Coha barely won the first--”

“If Your Highness were not distracted by Lady Zheng walking past, then mayhaps you would have had a chance!”

The group roars with laughter and the prince turns a shade of pink. He chuckles and waves their laughter away. “It was my gun, I tell you, jamming at the last second! Ah, but it matters not. Jun, would you rather a pistol? I also have a rifle, if that is more to your taste--”

Jun shakes his head, his face and demeanour at ease. Rin’s only ever seen the lord this relaxed around himself - everyone else causes some tension in the little lord, a fact that he secretly relishes. But now that the prince basks him with his attention, Jun’s acting as he does with Rin.

The Rat scowls and kicks at the grass, sending a clump of dirt towards Erie. The latter finally notices him and his smile turns frigid. “And who is this? Your manservant? He looks rather bedraggled for a servant of the Hwan estate.”

Sapphires turned chips of ice regard Rin with disdain. They linger on the right side of his face and he instinctively turns his head, hiding his scars from view. Something seizes his throat, a sharp pain as if he’d swallowed a knife. He should be used to being looked at in such a way, as if he were nothing more than the rat that he is. But the look on Erie’s face brings waves of shame and insecurity over Rin, dousing every last flicker of confidence.

“Rin is a guest at the estate, Your Highness,” Jun explains, his own smile straining. “He is here as my companion.”

“Ah. My apologies.” The prince chuckles and releases Jun to offer the surly raven his hand. If not for the ugly look Rin catches on Erie’s face, he might have genuinely believed his friendly manner. “Allow me to introduce myself. I am the Crown Prince Hino Erie, the most good looking man in all four territories.” He adds the last as a jest, but Rin wouldn’t be surprised if he were sincere.

When Rin takes too long, Erie takes the initiative and grabs his hand, shaking it enthusiastically. His grip is tight and painful, so much so that his joints pop from the pressure. The raven tries to control his face, only giving him a surly look.

“I’m Rin the Rat,” he says loudly, lifting his chin. He swallows the knife and turns his head to look Erie straight in the eyes. “Fresh from the Slums.” He gives a faint smirk, squeezing back with all his strength. Which isn’t much, it’s enough to make the prince narrow his eyes in irritation above that bright smile of his.

Jun seems utterly clueless to their silent battle as he calmly smiles at his two friends.

“How fascinating,” Erie says, releasing the raven’s hand and none-too-subtly wiping his hand upon his blouse as if it were tainted. “I cannot say that I have ever met anyone from the Slums before. I heard it is rather ghastly there. Is it true you people eat your dead for protein?”

“Come now, Your Highness,” Jun interjects, amusedly. “That is simply a rumour. A rather preposterous one at that.”

“Familiar with the Slums are you, Jun?” The prince chuckles and claps a hand to the lord’s back. “Why don’t we take a seat and enjoy some refreshments? I was tiring of the game anyway.” He glances at the other nobles in the marquee and says, “Would your lordships allow us some privacy? We will have another round in an hour, so please do enjoy the grounds until then.”

Without protest, the nobles bow deeply to the prince before making their way out of the arena, all still in high spirits. Rin stares after them, wondering what kind of life they might lead. Silently envying them, one after the other.

“Rinnie, come join us.”

Jun’s soft voice draws his attention and he reluctantly joins the nobles at the long table, taking a seat beside the little lord.

Ever mindful of etiquette, Jun pours three cups of ice cold wine.

“Have you greeted the Empress?” Erie asks, taking his wine from Jun.

Rin stares at his own cup blankly before glancing at Jun. Even his profile is perfect. His high and clear forehead, and the slight dip in his handsome nose. The lush round of his lips and the chiseled jaw that cuts hard lines to his pretty ears. And those long lashes that flutter like fragile butterfly wings whenever he lowers his eyes to think.

“Yes, Your Highness. Her Majesty did not seem to recognise me at first.” Jun huffs amusedly and a small dimple appears in his cheek. Rin stifles the sudden urge to poke it.

“And you? Rat, was it?” That overly friendly tone tears Rin’s eye from the little lord, landing instead on the unpleasant visage that is the prince. He’s watching the raven with those ice shards, smiling without mirth.

“Sure, we had a nice chat,” Rin says, shrugging and crossing his legs. He leans back in his seat and grabs his wine, swirling it nonchalantly. “I reckon she likes me. Wouldn’t even spare Jun here a glance the entire time, isn’t that right?”

Jun’s lips quirk, but he seems a tad detached. He reaches over the table and plucks a grape the size of an egg, running it over his lips before biting. “Her Majesty did seem rather interested in you, yes. Perhaps, she was dazzled by your genius.”

“Of course she was,” Rin drawls, smirk deepening.

The prince’s expression had not shifted once. “It is to be expected, of course. Rarely do we have visitors who are not distinguished by title or wealth. You must be to the Empress like a rare and endangered beast.”

Jun chuckles, perhaps taking this as a jest or compliment. “How have you fared, Your Highness?”

The change in topic reels in Erie’s temper. When he glances at Jun, his expression softens into a genuine smile. “I have fared well. Have I told you that the Empress has granted me my own regiment of Riders? She is allowing me to ride in the next campaign. From what I have heard, we may be taking back Reshun very soon.”

“I never knew you had such interest in the military, Your Highness. Are you certain you are not doing this for Lady Zheng?” Jun grins as the prince’s cheeks colour.

“I just thought I should pull my weight for once. That clumsy oaf Botan has two campaigns under his belt already and he is only a year older. If I should reach his age with nothing to show, I shall be a laughing stock.” Erie downs his wine and smacks his lips in satisfaction. “What about you, Jun? No thoughts on joining the war?”

“Unfortunately not, Your Highness,” Jun says through a smile, diligently refilling the prince’s cup. “I think I should rather focus on my studies. If I am called to the military, my preference would be the Healers Unit or the Tactical Division if they would have me.”

“And waste your gods-given talents?” Erie clicks his tongue, disappointed. “Say no more or I shall consider it treason! You fight better than most I have met, Jun. You are a fair match for even the General herself. Do not think I’ve not noticed. Even the Empress thinks you are a natural with a firearm. It would be a waste if you do not put those skills to use.”

Rin can’t help but listen with great interest. He had known about Jun’s martial prowess, but this knowledge had been limited to the sword. The extent of the lord’s talents had escaped him entirely. It dawns on him then how little he knows of the man sitting beside him, and he feels increasingly glum.

Jun waves his hands in denial, his ears flushed a deep red. “Your Highness gives me too much praise. My skills are average at best and I have only handled a firearm that one time--”

“Are you questioning my judgement?” Erie raises a brow.

Jun sighs and drops his hands. “No, of course not, Your Highness.”

“Then consider it.” Erie drains his cup and slams it down on the table, marking the end of the conversation.

Frigid blues latch onto the quiet Rat, jolting him from his thoughts. “I am curious. How exactly you managed to escape the gallows after your act of thievery.” Waterlines rise, slicing those blues in half. “In what manner did you manage to convince the Governor? He is a rather astute man who has little patience for petty criminals.”

Rin scowls and white knuckles his skirt. “Oh, I dunno. I suppose he just likes me too.”

“You do have a way of charming powerful people,” Erie says, resting his chin on his hand. “Despite having such a face.”

Out of sheer habit, Rin glances at Jun, his only comfort in this treacherous sea. But all he receives is a detached look, those goldens unrecognisable in their coolness.

This shocks the raven badly. His heart lurches and dread swallows his insides like acerbic venom. He swallows hard and tries to control the sudden tremble in his hands. Did I do something wrong? Why is he looking at me like that? It’s like he can't stand the sight of me...

Chest aching, Rin quickly turns his head to hide his scars. Only his profile can be seen, tense and sharp. “It takes more than just a pretty face,” he snaps, voice cracking mid-way. “Why? You wanna take me for a ride? Have a taste of the Slums yourself?” His smirk is lackluster. Broken.

The prince flushes at those salacious words, his ire stirred. “I fear not,” he scoffs. “I do not think my constitution could bear such filth.”

“I don’t think your constitution could bear much of anything, pet.”

“'Your Highness',” Erie says, curtly. “The correct address you must use for your future Emperor is 'Your Highness'.”

Rin presses his lips together, itching to let loose the barrage of scorn building up like stoked flames. “Even if you are the future Emperor, I don’t see you being one for very long.”

Twin flares burst in those icy blues and the prince reaches over the table to snatch the mouthy Rat by his collar. Rin is yanked from his seat and halfway across the table, the meticulous setting ruined beneath his angled body.

Erie’s large hand twists the fabric of his robes, making it bite into his tender neck. Anymore strength and his airway would be entirely cut off. Cold wine soaks into his front, spreading across his belly.

“Rebel scum, you dare threaten the crown? Do you have a death wish?” Erie hisses the last, his face but an inch from the youth’s.

Rin winces at the pain in his throat, the taut fabric irritating his scars. “I don’t need to threaten the crown. I’m sure you’ll do a much better job than I at that,” he squeezes out, teeth bared in a savage grin.

He’s never seen the Northern seas, but there they are in those cold blues. Tundric masses heaving with the polar winds.

“Insolence is death within the Plains,” Erie hisses, yanking sharply on his collar. “Think I need a reason to ruin you? Just one word from me and I can have you destroyed. No-one would ever question the Crown Prince.”

There’s an uneasy crack of the jaw as Rin grits his teeth, the force of which makes his entire skull ache. “Oh, I do love a good ruining,” he spits out, giggling manically. “But it’s gonna take a man twice your size to even get me going--”

Rin!” Jun’s voice, sharp and clear, rings through the marquee. He shoots to his feet, chair skidding back with a violent judder. “I have private matters to discuss with His Highness. Could you please leave us for a moment? I will come and find you later.” The expression upon Jun’s face is alien. It’s detached and stiff, as if he were making such a request to an unruly stranger rather than a close friend.

Erie glares at his prey, pulsing his painful grip before releasing the Rat with a hard shove. Rin slams back into his seat, panting and grimacing. He doesn’t look at Jun. He doesn’t want to.

He leaves with nary a word nor a glance, feeling as though he’s leaving a piece of himself behind.

0