Info: Mana and Life
277 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry about the lack of a chapter again.  Instead, have some info about the world.

In the world of Atryna, the gods of Evolution and Magic have both enforced rules that interact with each other.  While they do change over time, this takes centuries, as each meeting between the gods is a century from the last.

Put simply, all life requires some amount of mana, and all life produces some amount of mana as well.  The size of the life in question determines roughly how much mana it will generate, while the complexity determines how much it requires.  Due to this, plants tend to generate far more mana than they require, while animals often require more than they generate, though this is far from always the case.

Mana is also capable of causing sickness and mutation if it exceeds the amount that is safe for a being to contain.  The strength of the body determines the amount that can be passively stored, while strength of the mind controls the ability to manipulate it, including the ability to prevent it from reacting even if it is an unsafe level.

Due to the above, mages are able to survive far higher mana than should be possible, for short periods of time, and can store much more mana than their body can safely handle, so long as their mind is functional.  However, an untrained mage relies on the conscious mind rather than how trained mages can maintain their focus subconsciously, restricting their ability to hold mana significantly when they need to rest.

When it comes to mutations, mana typically follows one of two paths - that of improving the mind, or that of improving the body.  All mutation caused by mana overload is beneficial in some form or another, though it may not be ideal, or even widely beneficial.  Additionally, mutations that improve the body also reduce higher intelligence, bringing the beings closer to an instinctual level.  Due to this, it is possible, and even common for creatures to become practically mindless beasts due to repeatedly exceeding their safe limits of mana capacity.

Also on the note of mutations, they often are based on the desires of the being at the time of the mutation occurring, and without focus mostly tend towards improvements to the body's survivability.  This, however, only occurs with physical mutations.  While physical mutations occur suddenly due to significantly exceeding safe capacity, mental mutations instead occur due to consistent slight overload.  The combination of these factors means that it is incredibly rare for a non-intelligent being to receive mental improvements, and very common for predators to become more powerful physically, while reducing them towards being limited by instinct.

As an additional note, all life expels some degree of mana, causing ambient mana to be higher anywhere there is life.  More simple forms expel a higher percentage, which matches with their lower requirement to act as perpetual mana factories.  More complex forms, however, require intake of mana to replenish the smaller percentage they lose.

When it comes to complexity of life, practically all non-mutated life generates more mana than it requires, while each mutation increases the requirements, regardless of if it is physical or mental in nature.

Mana is gained in multiple ways - each being generates its own mana, but also absorbs ambient mana based on the local density, as well as from anything it consumes.  Combined with the expelling of mana, this means that in areas rich in life, it is very common for beings to become mutated due to having multiple sources of mana contributing to overload consistently.

Each species also has certain forms of mutation being more common, based on their nature, and likewise, each environment tends to increase the chances of certain mutations as well.  As an example, foxes tend to maintain a high level of cunning, develop innate illusion abilities, and have stronger senses with higher dexterity.  Meanwhile, bears tend to gain tougher hide, larger size, and assorted foraging and protection benefits.  And in the case of plants, many develop novel forms of defense, such as igniting on contact, producing and storing electrical charges, becoming nearly immune to fire, or even extracting and storing buoyant gas so they can float out of reach.

I will try to continue doing info posts when I am unable to manage a proper chapter.  Feel free to let me know your thoughts, as well as any questions.  Additionally, I have included a poll as to what everyone is interested in for the next info post, though if there is not a clear winner, I will pick randomly.

Which other info should be next?
  • Mages and Society Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Mana and Humanity Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Awakened Creatures Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Types of Magic Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Mutations and Humanity Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Future Plans (Spoilers) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Comment below) Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 11 · This poll was closed on Oct 26, 2022 03:52 PM.
11