C90: Curiosity
164 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After taking a bath, Dawn and Niphru both headed back out to the commons area of their new floor, finding that everyone else had already shown up before them.  Knowing that Dawn had to have the same question, Niphru asked, “Why is it that the creatures in the sewers were mostly just larger than normal, while in the forests, they often had unusual mutations?”

 

“Welcome back,” Richard said before answering, “Typically, creatures in the city don’t stand much pressure to survive until suddenly it is too much all at once, such as when we purge them.  This leads to them mostly growing larger or faster in order to steal food from one another, or eat smaller versions.  There is some small variation, such as spines, to avoid larger creatures preying on them, but it is rare for those to develop.  Typically, we purge the sewers often enough that they don’t have time to develop the more interesting mutations.  Generally, mutations occur based on what pressures the creature in question, and in that situation, there is very little threat besides larger creatures, and being larger results in more things counting as food, so there is a strong trend to size.”

 

Dawn remarked, “That is a lot of information; I take it you were curious about it as well?”

 

“Indeed, I just had to figure it out!  Apparently, there are also occasional megabeast attacks, and those tend to be very unique each time.  Fortunately, our spires are both a weapon and defense alongside being where we live and learn.  From what I’ve read, each spire is able to project a shield of sorts around its section of the city, and can amplify the power of mages.  There is also talk of an incredibly powerful weapon where all the spires link together.  Much as I’d like to see that, I’m glad nothing has needed either of those while I’ve been here,” he replied.

 

Following this line of thought, Viera spoke up, “From what I’ve read, the final weapon is a beam of raw mana in such quantity that nothing can survive the immense instant overload it causes, but it takes months to charge, if not years.”

 

“That is a scary thought…  It just makes things go pop?” queried Niphru as he shook his head in disbelief.

 

“Indeed.  Apparently, it was designed by the first archmage, as an attempt to ensure we always had access to an attack similar to their own, even though we lost most of our knowledge of magic.  They did their best to record everything, but I’m sure you know how it is: you don’t know how much you know, and assume others know some of it,” Viera explained, shaking her head.

 

Following up, Thomas remarked, “It also doesn’t help that a great deal of knowledge was lost during the war between the cities that resulted in two of them being lost.  People would borrow books and visit another city, then die, or die before recording their knowledge, and without passing it on to students.”

 

This time Dawn asked a question both had been wondering, “What sort of things were lost, or is that unknown too?”

 

Miana smiled before responding, “I am glad to say necromancy as a whole was lost.  That is far too creepy,” she then frowned before continuing, “but that wasn’t all we know we lost.  I really love the idea of spatial magic, but that was lost as well, aside from small fragments people have figured out.  I really wish I could teleport like some of the old stories talk about.”

 

“Similarly, gravity magic was lost as well, though explorers have managed to find some notes on it in a few of the lost villages and towns they managed to survive,” Richard added.

 

Niphru tilted his head to the side and questioned, “What do you mean by explorers and lost villages and towns?”

 

“Ah, right, you are both still new.  Occasionally, skilled and powerful individuals will head into the wilds, and if you go far enough in the right direction, you will encounter the overgrown ruins from when there were three cities.  Most expeditions are never heard from again, or turn back within a week due to what they encounter.  A very small number of them have returned after months, often bringing back magical tools and engineering notes, as well as information about magic.  Much of these are still known, but there is the occasional bit we have lost.  We had no idea how to make the messenger golems, for example, as that was a product of another city rather than our own, but there was an entire manual for it returned by one expedition,” explained Richard, frowning as he mentioned the lost expeditions.

 

Thomas spoke up, anticipating the next question, “The reason stronger mages don’t go out is because they are needed to protect the city.  No one knows when a threat will appear, and the more power we can use for defense, the less likely there will be damage.  Apparently, in the last attack, one of the barriers was broken, causing the opposite spire to have to shift their barrier to cover for the loss.”

 

Dawn then responded, “Lisryn had said she wanted to have her people cooperate with ours.  Would that let people explore the wilds?”

 

Smirking, Thomas replied, “Their mages are barely as strong as we are, compared to  our small group.  They have more practice, sure, but all they can do is water magic, so they have no variety.  Their warriors are strong up close, but what good is that when there are creatures that can kill you from a distance?  They might be a good buffer when our mages head out, but not much more than that.”

 

Dawn frowned for a moment before she spoke in disagreement, “I think you aren’t giving them enough credit.  They worked together very well when my village needed help, and Niphru can verify that they aren’t all bad.  They managed to take down the biggest creature nearby, letting us hunt more safely.”

 

“Perhaps.  I would have to see it to believe it, however,” remarked Thomas.

 

“Oh, before I forget, are we allowed to use some of the mana stones we charge for personal purposes?” queried Dawn.

 

“Sure, but it is limited; we are expected to charge at least twice what we use for the spire, though they prefer much more than that.  It is understood that helping us advance is an investment that returns more than we cost.  What were you wanting to use them for?” Richard answered, clearly curious.

 

Dawn replied, “I want to make sure I’m strong, which, as I understand, requires more than the ambient mana in the spire.  I know that is an unpopular thing, but I don’t want to get hurt as easily, and apparently, that can also make you live longer.  Naturally, I only mean to do it a little; improving my ability as a mage is more important.”

 

As the others expressed their disapproval, Viera asked, “Why does that matter to you?  You can use magic to defend yourself, and proper usage can also extend your life.  Many of the older mages here are over two hundred years old.”

 

Dawn smiled before answering, “I want to explore the wilds.  Niphru came from the wilderness already intelligent, so what if there are others like him further out?  If you can handle more mana before mutating the more you’ve changed already, wouldn’t things eventually be unable to keep overloading themselves and become intelligent?”

 

This set the whole group chattering, clearly having not considered such an idea before.

Feel free to join my discord server, I am on discord more often than here, and can more easily answer any potential questions.

8