C99: Group Expansion
162 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finishing breakfast, Niphru helped with cleaning the dishes before joining Dawn as she headed outside to meet with their group again.  As they approached, the others all began asking if he was okay and what had happened.

 

Niphru paused for a moment to get his thoughts in order before responding, “I am okay now, I think.  Obviously, I am bigger now, which is hard to adjust to.  And now I have three flames instead of two,” he then nodded to the side where he shifted them from illusions back into foxfire.

 

As the group watched, he shifted one back to an illusion so he could continue speaking, “I also feel like there is another link similar to the one Dawn and I share, which is weird.  I have no idea what that is for, or how it happened.  Additionally, my mana stone is almost a ball now, and partially transparent.  Apparently, it can also hold much more mana from what I felt.”

 

After expressing their relief, the group turned to Richard as he explained, “We haven’t really done much of anything besides continuing our practice and working on becoming stronger while you’ve been gone.  Also, Dawn, Morris said something about needing both of your opinions on whether Lisryn should be allowed to join our group while you were watching over Niphru.  The rest of us are fine with the idea, though a bit worried about her guard.  We were told they would only act if she was in danger, which matches what you said, but it is still a bit frightening to be around someone that powerful.”

 

“Don’t you normally have to prove yourself with the manipulation skills before joining the advanced groups?” Dawn queried with a confused expression.

 

In response, Richard laughed and remarked, “It seems she is incredibly talented but simply lacked training.  I wouldn’t be surprised if she advances beyond us in just a few months, given what I’ve heard of her since the basic training you both attended.”

 

Anticipating the next question, Viera stepped forward and stated, “It seems all the other groups around our level have refused to let her join.”

 

Quickly having a conversation over their bond, Niphru nodded and said, “I think we can trust her and her guard enough to be around them.  I was a lot more worried before Dawn’s latest encounter where there was an accident and nothing happened.”

 

Dawn nodded as well, heading towards the stairs as she continued after Niphru, “I feel the same as Niphru, so I’ll go and let Morris know; I still remember where his room is from last time.”

 

While she was away, Niphru spoke to the group, “It seems that when things happened the other day, I gained a third flame, right?  But it also seems to have improved my magic, so I ended up overdoing it when trying to help make breakfast today.  I’m excited to see what I can do now, and am looking forward to the trip to the wilds.  How about you?  Do we know when it will be, anyway?”

 

Chuckling at his enthusiasm, the group turned to face Miana as she smiled and waved toward the stairs while replying, “Morris said it would be in a week three days ago, so a few days from now.  We’re glad you woke up in time and are doing well.  Your help was something we were counting on to help guide us.”

 

Richard then exclaimed, “Since we are allowing Lisryn to join our group, we will have even more assistance, but other than greeting her, I fear we won’t have much time to get used to each other.  Perhaps we should take up cleaning duties in the sewers again?”

 

Relaying the question through their bond, Niphru responded as he got a reply, “Dawn and I both think that is a good idea, if it is reasonably possible.”

 

Thomas responded, “Actually, it is.  The spires have been letting creatures build up for exactly this kind of reason for the past week.  I’m in agreement with the plan as well.”

 

Looking to either side, Niphru saw the two women also nod in approval of the idea.

 

Shortly afterward, both Dawn and Morris descended the stairs, splitting up as Morris continued downstairs while Dawn rejoined the group.  After a few minutes of chatting, they saw Morris return with Lisryn and her guardian following.

 

Lisryn joined the group at the table they had chosen, bowing slightly before she sat down.  Morris smiled upon seeing her being respectful, then turned to return back upstairs.

 

“Thank you for allowing me to join you; I was beginning to think no one would accept me.  I was able to convince Morris to allow a minor reward in thanks.  I heard Niphru was temporarily crippled a few days back, and that coincides with a rather important event.  I was told by my god that Magic broke their rules, and has directed a large twisted beast to attack Arrival.  Due to this, all the other gods were allowed to make adjustments of their own,” Lisryn explained, nodding at Niphru as she mentioned him before returning her focus to the rest of the group.

 

She then continued, pointing at the walls of the spire, “Due to this, the spires will soon be activated to defend the city, and Morris agreed to allow you to join him during the attack to see what happens better, as long as you each help charge the tower while you watch.”

 

Focusing back on Niphru, she explained, “Conflict expected me to join your group, and let me know that two gods were both involved in your changes, Niphru.  Apparently, they are supposed to be able to speak with you soon, but they used up most of their energy blessing you with increased growth.  Meanwhile, we managed some more changes to the church’s structure that should be noticeable in the next few weeks.”

 

Lisryn sat back to catch her breath, letting the others consider what she had said.

 

The first to respond was Richard, exclaiming, “Welcome to our group, and what an introductory speech that was!”

 

Right afterward, Viera asked, “You said ‘you’ when you mentioned watching the spires; does that mean you won’t be there as well?”

 

Lisryn smiled and nodded, “I am expected to help coordinate the response of the Church of Conflict.  You will likely see that as well, though it is unlikely to be as impressive.”

 

“I see.  Thank you for letting us know,” Viera replied before continuing.  “We all agreed to help clean the sewers of mutated creatures in the next few days with you, if you are willing to do so.  We are hoping that will help us work together better.”

 

Niphru was concerned by the lack of one specific bit of information and inquired, “Did you already tell Morris about this so he could spread the word?”

 

“The expected attack, right?” Lisryn queried, and upon receiving a nod, replied, “Yes, he took me to meet with the grand mages, after a mind mage verified I wasn’t making it up.  The word should have spread to all the spires by now, so they will be prepared.”

 

Focusing back on Viera, she continued, “I would really prefer not to trek through the sewers, but you have a good point about working on teamwork, so I agree with the idea.”

Feel free to join my discord server, I am on discord more often than here, and can more easily answer any potential questions.

6