4. Departure And Professor Magnolia
530 7 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adrian's face beamed with a smile after he beat his father.

The training and studying he did finally paid off!

"We can't get ahead of ourselves though, Larvesta! We still have to beat Mom!"

"Lar!"

Larvesta nodded seriously as he remembered how strong Espurr was.

They couldn't even get close to her last time.

Adrian couldn't use the same strategy against Espurr. It might send the strings back and make their defeat quicker.

"Well, we'll think about that later. We should just celebrate today!"

Adrian rushed to tell his mom about his firdt victory. The look of surprise on her face when he told her he beat his Dad made his efforts all worth it.

"Oh! I need to tell Aly too! Come on, Larvesta!"

"Lar!"

***********

Astrid watched as Adrian and Larvesta ran towards Alakazam with a sad grin on her face.

"How well did he really do?"

Astrid turned to Brian who also had a sad smile on his face.

"He actually tricked me. I'll remember that one for on the battlefield. It could be useful as a barrier."

Brian's answer made Astrid sadder as she watched her baby tell Aly all about his battle.

"How long do we have?"

Brian took a sip of coffee before looking at her.

"Probably 3 years. Maybe less."

Astrid started to frown as her eyes slowly started to glow.

(Those bastards keep getting in the way of watching our baby grow!)

Brian had a wry smile on his face as he reached for her hand.

Grabbing her soft hand, Astrid began to slowly control her power again.

She looked at Brian with a soft smile, but soon frowned as she thought of something.

"What about his schooling?"

"Does he need it? He's chatted with Alakazam and Hatterene about everything under the sun. I'm sure he's already finished learning about everything a few grades above his age."

Brian turned to Alakazam and Adrian chatting again as he shook his head.

"At this rate, he'll be done with schooling in a few years like this alone."

Astrid nodded her head. Alakazam was the strategist and Ace of her squad. She knew how many books he went through during their adventures.

"That isn't good though. He should still make regular friends."

Astrid thought for a moment before remembering a friend she made in town.

"Ah! We can have Professor Magnolia take him in for a bit. Doesn't she need help since her granddaughter always runs about?"

Brian thought about it and nodded his head.

"That sounds like a good idea. She'd be able to guide him on everything Pokemon. He'll probably get everything else in his head on his own."

The two nodded their heads and looked and watched Adrian with a smile.

 "Let's just enjoy our time together until we have to go."

Astrid nodded her head as Brian's words sunk in.

Just enjoy it for now.

*****************

2 years later

Adrian sat in front of his parents with tears in his eyes.

"Do you have to go?"

The two felt crushing pain at those words, but they knew they couldn't ignore this.

The Frenzy Lance feared was coming to pass.

Team Rocket decided to try and steal a high ranking Pokemon's child, bringing the tense situation in Johto to a full on war.

Now the League and Team Rocket are butting heads all over the region.

'Those idiots! Making our son cry over something like this!'

Brian kept his emotions in check as he shook his head.

"Sorry, kiddo. We have to go and handle this."

Adrian kept his head down as tears fell from his face.

Astrid had already disappeared from his side and hugged her baby close.

Brian sighed and got up, heading over to give him a hug as well.

"Sorry, Adrian. We have to keep our promises. There are many reasons why we have to go."

"I know. You save people, right?"

Astrid and Brian nodded their heads.

Adrian looked at them with teary, but determined eyes.

"I'll wait for you to come back. Me and Larvesta will be good."

Astrid grabbed Adrian hard as she squeezed him tightly.

She hated to see him like this.

"We're going to send you to Professor Magnolia's place. You should have a lot of fun there."

Adrian nodded his head and followed his Mom to pack his things.

Brian watched the two disappear and headed outside.

He reached for his Rotom phone and dialed a number.

*Ring Ring Ring*

"Hello."

"Lance."

"Ah, Brian. What's wrong?"

Lance straightened his back and paid attention. He hoped nothing went wrong at home.

"How about I just go to Johto and leave Astrid here?"

Lance was shocked for a moment and thought about the situation.

"Well, it's possible. I can handle somethings here, but you have to be aware of the situation first before you make your decision."

Brian nodded his head and listened to Lance.

"Besides the poaching of baby Pokemon from several areas, there is another variable in the situation."

"Which is?"

"Silver's daughter is the main target of their invasion."

Brian felt a headache coming on as he processed this.

"Why?!"

"It seems Giovanni wants to take the next generation as his successor."

Brian would've punched a hole in the nearby wall if it wasn't his house!

"That old bastard is starting that again?! Didn't he break ties with Silver?!"

Lance sighed as he nodded his head.

"After Kris and Silver got married, he seemed to stop his global ambitions. Once they had a kid, however, they seemed to redouble. He's dead set on getting a successor this time."

"So you're saying he has nothing to lose this time?"

Lance nodded his head as Brian deduced the situation.

"Can't we just get Silver and his family off of Johto and bring them somewhere else?"

"Wherever we choose, Team Rocket will follow. It's best to keep them in one spot to contain the situation from spreading out. It doesn't help that Silver won't leave due to his pride."

Brian sighed deeply as he already looked exhausted.

"Kris won't leave quietly as well, while Norman will definitely cause trouble if they're gone. You can understand that, can't you?"

Brian quietly nodded as he collected himself.

"So what are we doing exactly?"

"The League has to apprehend members of Team Rocket and put a stop to their abductions. If we can get that under control, we will leave the situation with the family as it is while monitoring it from afar. Team Rocket needs to be dismantled as efficiently as possible. We want you two to lead a team to do that from the shadows."

Brian's body started to exude a cold aura as he looked at Lance.

"So killing is fine."

Lance nodded his head.

"Our jail cells can only hold so much. We do advise that you restrain yourself unless the individual holds no useful information."

Brian nodded his head and started to think about other questions.

"How old is Rose now by the way?"

Brian suddenly shivered as he turned behind him!

Astrid stood looking at him with cold eyes.

"Ah! Hello, Astrid."

"Hello, Lance. Is this idiot trying to keep me here again?"

Lance chuckled lightly, but didn't deny anything.

"Well, Rose should be around 8 now. Same age as your boy."

"Great. I would love to see Kris again and catch up."

Brian started to sweat as he was being slowly pushed out of the camera.

Lance held in a laugh as he chatted with Astrid.

"Make sure the region doesn't blow up before we get there. We'll handle the little Rockets too."

Lance sighed in relief and nodded his head.

"Glad to hear it. I'll keep you informed on anymore news."

"Understood. See you soon."

Astrid hung up the call and turned to Brian.

Her eyes began to glow as Brian felt a tug on his ear.

"Ow! Ow! Okay! I'm sorry! Stop please!"

Only after a few more moments of psychic tugging did Astrid stop.

Brian massaged his ear as he looked at her with a pout.

"Pfft! Look at you, acting like the victim."

"I am though!"

Astrid smiled as she patted his back.

"Get over it. I think we will take Alakazam to get over there. We'll spend the rest of day with Adrian and head out later."

Brian nodded his head, though he knew he really had no say in the matter.

"Is Adrian ready?"

Astrid nodded her head as she held in a sigh.

She'd take her stress out on those Rocket bastards as soon as she found them.

**********

At a pristine lakeside house in Wedgehurst, Professor Magnolia was writing a report on Pokemon theory when she was interrupted.

*Ping Pong*

Her doorbell rang as she got up slowly and headed to the door.

'Did that girl forget her keys again?'

Magnolia opened the door, and paused.

In front of her stood a sad looking child with a backpack almost as big as him and an Alakazam standing next to him.

This wasn't what made her freeze, however, as the other two made her cautious.

A man with black hair and piercing blue eyes stood behind the child, wearing a black cloaked uniform with a black and white silhouette of a Pokeball held in a closed grip, almost crushing it.

Magnolia immediately recognized the symbol as the Frenzy Soldier emblem and grew wary.

"Sorry to surprise you like this, Professor Magnolia, but we need your help."

Once she heard that voice, she immediately turned to the green haired woman with brown eyes.

"Astrid?! What are you doing here?"

She was surprised to see she wore a female version of the same uniform.

Astrid smiled wryly as she squeezed the shoulders of her son lightly.

"Remember when I said I would need a favor from you."

"Of course, dear."

"I have to use it now."

Magnolia looked down at Adrian and nodded her head.

"I see. Come in first, and we'll discuss it."

Astrid nodded her head and nudged Adrian to walk in with her and Brian behind him.

Adrian was enthralled with all the equipment he saw as they slowly came to a table nearby.

The four sat down as Magnolia called a black and white humanoid Pokemon towards them.

"Indeedee, get some tea for the guests please. Ah! Juice for the child as well."

Indeedee nodded his head and went to work on his task.

"Well, first things first. What's your name, child?"

Adrian looked at her and nodded his head.

"My name is Adrian, Professor Magnolia."

Magnolia nodded her head and smiled.

"You seem to recognize me."

"I remember seeing you on Tv. You talked about how Pokemon can become big due to energy in certain environments. I thought it was pretty cool."

Magnolia was a bit surprised as she looked at Astrid and Brian.

They both had proud smiles as they nodded their head.

"He's pretty smart."

Brian kept his words short as he watched the surroundings quietly. He felt this place would be pretty good to leave Adrian in.

"I see. I'm glad the younger generation still has great minds among them. If only Sonia would sit still and learn more."

Magnolia shook her head as she couldn't help, but worry about her.

Astrid smiled as Indeedee came back with refreshments.

"Well, children have to find out what they want to do themselves."

Magnolia sighed as she took a sip of her tea.

"How long will you be gone?"

Astrid and Brian both frowned as they weren't too sure. 

"It could be a just a few years, or it could be longer. Depends on the situation."

Adrian slowly drank his juice in silence as he just listened.

"I see. I can look after him for as long as you need. I could use more help with my research."

"Thank you very much for doing this, Professor!"

Astrid bowed her head while Brian nodded his head in appreciation.

"Thank you very much for this."

"You're welcome. This place only has two people and Pokemon here. It's meant to hold more."

The two nodded their heads with great relief as their main problem was settled.

The four spent the rest of the day with Adrian as they chatted and played around the lakeside.

Adrian played as many games and battled against his Mom and Dad as much as he could. Larvesta did his best to try to follow Adrian's plans.

They obliged him as they had a fun time while Professor Magnolia looked on with understanding eyes.

He still wasn't able to beat his mom yet, but it didn't stop him from trying.

The day, however, could only last for so long.

***************

Night started to come as they sat with Adrian on the couch.

He was valiantly fighting sleep from such a fun day. He knew they would be gone once he went down.

Brian looked at his son with pride.

'He's got a pretty strong will. If only the world would be peaceful for a few more years.'

Brian turned to Astrid and nodded his head.

It was time.

"Come here, Adrian."

Adrian sleepily scooted over to his mother and was picked up in her embrace.

She had him face her as she began to hum a lullaby.

Adrian quickly became alert, but was still lulled by the melody.

Brian smiled deeply at his son's instincts, but kept quiet as Astrid serenaded him to sleep.

"Zzzzzzz."

Adrian was fast asleep as Astrid stood up and brought him to his new bedroom.

"I see you two love him dearly. Be sure to come back safe and sound. I'll take care of him."

Astrid and Brian nodded their heads as they looked at Adrian one more time.

"Rotom. Take a picture."

*Click*

Brian watched as Astrid took a few more pictures before she was ready to go.

"Thanks again, Professor. The League will reimburse you for any needs he has."

Magnolia waved her hand, dismissing the need to go further.

Astrid and Brian looked at each other and nodded their heads.

The two went out of the house and waved goodbye at Professor Magnolia while Brian brought out a Pokeball. 

"Let's go."

Astrid nodded her head as a cold aura began to emanate from her.

*Poof*

"Hooon."

A large, black bird stretched its wings lazily and ruffled its feathers. 

Its sharp eyes looked at Brian and Astrid with a gleam of excitement as it recognized their cloaks.

"Yeah. We're heading back. The battlefield calls us again."

"Hooon!"

The Honchkrow turned it back to them and beckoned them to get on.

Brian helped Astrid on as he jumped behind her.

"We're headed to the Johto League first. You remember the way?"

"Hoon!"

Honchkrow lifted off the ground with its mighty wings and headed off at high speed!

Professor Magnolia watched them leave and sighed.

'If only those two had that kind of strength.'

Magnolia became sad for a moment before shaking such feelings away.

The past was behind her. She could only move forward until she couldn't anymore.

She headed back inside as she wondered where her silly granddaughter went to.

***********

The next day,

Adrian woke up in his new bed with tear tracks on his face.

"...."

He wiped his face with his pajama sleeves and walked out of the room.

Magnolia was sitting at the table with a Chewtle at her side.

"Wash your face and sit down. We'll have breakfast here."

"...Okay."

Magnolia pointed towards the restroom as Adrian followed her orders.

After he washed his face, he sat back down and looked at Magnolia with red eyes.

Magnolia sighed and got up from her seat to walk over to him.

"Your parents are doing a great service to the world. That means you have to do your best as well, understood?"

"Yes."

Magnolia could feel he was still confused on what they did exactly, but she wouldn't explain it to him yet. He was still too young.

"I'll have a few chores for you to do as well as some things to help with in my research. As long as you do those well, you are free to do whatever else you please. You'll also help me on my travels with my granddaughter. She will probably be back soon."

Adrian nodded his head, but soon felt a gentle hand massage his head.

"You don't have to be so tough and withdrawn. Just think of me as your Grandmother. I'll do the same."

Adrian saw the gentle look in her eyes as tears started to fall.

Adrian tried to wipe them away, but they kept falling.

Magnolia kept patting his head as she waited for him to finish patiently.

Even her Chewtle had slowly wandered over to him and chewed on his pants leg.

After a few minutes of crying, he finally stopped. Although he now had puffy eyes, he also had much more relaxed look on his face then before.

Magnolia nodded her head as she walked back over to her seat and sat down.

Indeedee came to the table with two bowls full of oatmeal.

"Eat up. We'll have a busy day once you're done."

"Okay!"

Adrian ate happily as Magnolia smiled at his renewed energy.

************

A few days later,

"Hmm hm hmmm~!"

A girl with brown hair and green eyes walked towards the lake house with a Yamper running along behind her.

"Wan!"

"Come on! We're almost there."

The girl walked towards the door and opened it with her key.

"Grandma! I'm back!"

Sonia gave her home a greeting, but no one responded.

"Hmm? Is she in her office?"

Sonia continued to move towards her office and soon saw her grandmother.

She also saw someone else assisting her grandmother, a young boy with black and green hair. He was wearing a white and red Pokeball shirt and black shorts.

"Since the energy in this region is so high, the possibility of a Den appearing there is just as high. Now then, where are the 3 most likely spots for the den to appear?"

"Hmmm..."

Adrian pondered for a moment before pointing to 3 spots.

"I think one would be by the river most likely. Another one would probably form near the mountains. I really just guessed with the last one appearing near the grass."

Magnolia nodded her head.

"Why did you choose those areas?"

"It is the likely places the Pokemon in this area would live in. If the Den does attract a Pokemon and increase its size, it should form right next to their habitats."

Magnolia nodded with a smile as she rubbed Adrian's head. 

"Smart. The first two are spot on, but the third would likely appear off the road. Good job either way."

Magnolia now looked at the map and brought her hand to her chin.

"The next part is to figure out how long it would take for them to form and the adverse effects of such a phenomenon."

"Grandma!"

The two turned around and met Sonia's questioning gaze.

Magnolia sighed and turned to Adrian.

"This is the other person I told you about. She's my granddaughter, Sonia."

Adrian turned to Sonia and nodded his head politely.

"Hello, my name is Adrian. I'll be staying here for a while. Pleased to meet you."

"Ah! Nice to meet you. Wait, that's not the problem?!"

"And what is the problem, young lady?"

Sonia paused for a moment and began to twirl one of her bangs with her finger.

"Ugh? Well....isn't he too young to be helping you?"

Magnolia shook her head.

"No. If that boy Leon could be champion at 10, he's more than capable of being my assistant for now. He's already grasped a bit of my research already. He'll most likely pass you in a month."

"Eh?!"

"Now then, either join our research or get out. We have work to do."

Sonia looked at her grandmother and Adrian for a moment before stomping her foot.

"I'm Grandma's assistant! I'll show you what a Senior assistant can do!"

Sonia came over to the map, fuming that someone could possibly take her spot!

She didn't seem to notice the smile on Magnolia's face nor the sad headshake Adrian gave her.

'They're family alright. She's getting played like a fiddle.'

21