23.Noble Nation
358 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The hall breaks into chaos as the nobles squabble amongst themselves. This is why democracy is doomed to fail. Without a strong arbiter to guide a nation they stagnate and fall into disrepair. 

“Enough, let us take a vote on the matter.” All the nobles sit down and the votes are handed in. The result comes in and the proposal doesn’t pass. Not that I am surprised. The proposal was about increasing funding for the military. 

The amount is already high enough. No need to increase it but a small fraction of generals keeps pushing for it claiming that we need to in order to beat Allonia. Unlike people blinded by fear I know that it can be used elsewhere. Mass numbers doesn’t win wars, strategy and timing do. 

Most likely they just want to increase their salary. 

“The next topic shall be the Arrian navy.” The head scribe announces. Giovanni brought up this topic so I doubt that it will fail but I want to see this play out. “Debates shall begin.” 

“What need is there for a navy? What purpose is there? What does it do but spend our money, Arria is a noble nation! We cannot fall into this trap of the merchants! We must resist greed in all of its forms.” A petty noble bellows out. The hall is full of whispers, some claps, and some scoffs. 

“Noble? How is your notion of nobility actually noble? You wish to prevent Arria from taking its place in the sun! You wish to undermine the very nation that nurtured you. People scoff at the Arrrian navy, I say no more! Let this day be the day that other’s respect us. To improve one’s nations, to leave it better than when you started. This is true nobility, not your pathetic version of it.” Giovanni speaks to the crowd. There is complete silence the entire time but as soon as Giovanni sits down the crowd begins to whisper and as the energy in the room builds up they gradually grow louder. 

Once again the hall falls into chaos as I begin to have a headache. I look at the scribe who promptly starts silencing the hall before calling for another vote. “48 to 32, the proposal passes. On to the next issue.” 

A small sardonic smile touches my lips. I am going to have to find more money, I was content with the level of corruption so long as I was making enough money. Now that I have just increased spending again I will need to find more money. 

I need to create official rules for bureaucrats. Perhaps if I improve the system I wouldn’t need to spend so much time looking after my treasury. But to do that I would need the money to bribe nobles to my side. 

I am beginning to feel as if I am in a vicious circle of trying to earn more money. 

The problem isn’t that I am not earning money, it is that I need to spend too much. 

“That will be all for morning court, we shall come back tomorrow.” I say standing up. We have been at this for long enough, all the important issues have been handled and if one suddenly comes up I will just call up an emergency court. 

I need to build up a coalition to pass some reforms. Or I could just force them through even if it would make me unpopular with the nobles. That would be short sided, no noble on the court appreciates it when I force things through and if I want to make sure to increase my control over certain regions having their backing would help. 

Coalition it is. 

“Luca, prepare for us to leave the castle secretly tomorrow.” I turn to Luca and whisper in his ear, I don’t often leave and it will do me some good to actually go to a few places. 

“I shall do that immediately.” Luca bows and heads off to prepare. I continue on to my study. I have two places that I wish to visit tomorrow. The national academy, which is almost finished, and the great library. I could consider paying the greedy pope a visit but that would probably be more trouble than anything so it is unlikely. 

Who am I kidding? I don’t want to visit the church and I would avoid it even if it was probably in my best interest. It should be about three weeks before Matteo returns. He and I can discuss the subjects that will be required. 

He has read many philosophy books, poetry, and economic theories. Two of those are of actual use to me. Unfortunately, he always preferred poetry. He said that it was easier to impress girls with. 

Perhaps I should try some poetry? 

Nope, cross that idea out. I am having a sudden flashback to my education. Out of every subject I was worst in poetry, absolutely atrocious. I am horrendous with words. I would probably just end up making a fool of myself. 

“My lord, I have diminished all preparations. An earlier notice would have been better.” I just look at him and shake my head. I gave him a one day notice, he can handle the rest. Often the enemy will try their best to ensure you only learn of their plans at the last possible moment. 


A/N: Arria's navy isn't bad but it is very limited in scope. It is mostly based on a few nobles and definitely not as structured as their military. Pirates are a big problem but since it hardly affects Arria itself nothing is done.

How are you guy's enjoying the story? The war should be picking up pretty soon in my writing. William becomes vastly more important once this happens. Are you guys excited for him to take a greater role?

6