42.Await Your Return
197 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I take a sip of my tea. It is sunny out and the atmosphere is calm and peaceful. I look at Isabella. Her belly has begun to show but I still can’t fathom the reality of it. “Let us take a walk through the garden.” 

She shouldn’t just sit down. 

“Of course.” I stand up in response to her reply. I offer her my shoulder and begin to walk as soon as she takes it. I haven’t walked in the garden for a long time. It seems different from what I remember. Though, I admit this may be because I was smaller than I am now. 

There are plenty of hedges, flowers, and trees. I stop and pick up a red rose. I smile lightly remembering the past before handing it to Isabella. She smiles and takes it. “It is a nice flower.” 

“Then I will have somebody make a bouquet for you.” 

“Thank you, I will look forward to receiving it.” She smiles at me and I might have almost tripped. She seems to have an unearthly glow. I am glad that she seems happy. It would be bad for the child if she were stressed and unhappy. 

“Your majesty, I regret to interrupt but...” I look over to see Luca bowing down. Normally I would be greatly angered but I have been expecting for something to happen as soon as winter ended. I am not surprised if it is news about William. 

“Excuse me, it seems I have some matters to attend to.” I say giving Isabella a kiss on the air above her hand. It is time to see what William has done in his attempt to win. I follow Luca all the way back to my study. 

“What is it?” 

“It seems that there are Allonian troops inside Casterso.” If there was anything inside my hands I would have dropped them. How, in hell, did he get his troops past Cerva? Don’t tell me that he has already managed to take it?! 

“And how do you think he has done this?” 

“Well... it seems the answer is simple. We have received news from Cerva at roughly the same time. My belief is that he went over the mountains.” While I want to say that it was impossible the answer is surprisingly simple. And it is always the simplest answer that is correct. 

I guess that it isn’t exactly as simple as it sounds but that is beyond the point. Instead of worrying over how it was accomplished we should instead worry about how we will respond to the new information. We cannot just let them ransack the entire countryside unopposed. 

“Try to gather important resources inside the walled cities. Anything that is in danger of falling to the enemy... burn them. Not a single bit of food should be allowed into their hands.” Desperate times called for desperate measures. While this would hurt it is most likely the most effective way to win. 

An army of hungry soldiers is not an army of efficient soldiers. 

“I will have it done. As for fighting them, what shall we do?” I look at Luca. I could do plenty of things but I know exactly what I want to do. I would like to meet this madman. Somebody daring enough to go over the mountains and actually succeed. “I do not like the look on your face right now.” 

“I am sure you will like my answer even less. I am heading out to meet him on the battlefield.” I look back to see Luca frown. A gloomy atmosphere seems to permeate his entire being. He does not like my response. “I know that you think it reckless but the troops morale will be unbreakable if I am there with them. How could they run and retreat if the emperor is there?” 

“I do not doubt that is true but I still think that it is too reckless.” 

“I will keep that in mind.” 

“I have this feeling that you are a berserker.” A group of legendary warriors that could continue fighting on despite suffering grievous wounds. It is said that this is done through sheer will power and determination. 

“I will take that as a compliment.” 

“I did not mean it that way.” I could tell right away that he thought I was rushing into battle. I chose to ignore his meaning. “I only request that you bring me along. To leave yourself completely unguard is a terrible idea.” 

“I was already planning on that.” I burst out in laughter. Did he think that I was insane? “Let us talk about the campaign. Where do we think he will go?” 

“I think he will avoid sieges. He just doesn’t have the ability to siege at the moment so he will have to avoid major cities. Instead he will probably go through the country side and attack farms and army camps.” I nod my head at Luca’s analysis. That means after we hear his initial movements we will have a fairly good idea on where he is headed. 

Without taking cities traveling on the roads and bridges will be hard. Especially if he doesn’t take any of the forts while he is on the move. “Bring me a map of every fort and travel path.” 

“I shall be right back.” Luca leaves and Matteo enters the room. He was most likely outside listening in on the conversation while standing guard. 

“It is too risky for you to leave. I cannot agree to it.” 

“You worried about my safety?” I grin at Matteo. He is in one of those rare moods where he isn’t smiling but completely serious. I am glad that he holds my safety in such high regards. “You worry about me too much cousin. I would like it if you looked over Isabella and her child in the case that something does happen to me.”  

Not that I think it will but being cautious is never a bad thing. Matteo just shakes his head at me. “I will await your return.”


A/N: It is on. William vs Michael! Who will win? Find out next time on Glory be- I am honestly getting sick of being told that it is copyrighted. *Humor intensifies* How well do you guys think Michael will do vs William? I should probably mention that I consider William a cheat and that is considering the cheat known as Michael. Won't tell you why this is but you might be able to gather what he can do by the time this book ends.

As always, Thank you for reading.

2