Chapter 10 – Boring Back Stories and Names
88 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We stayed silent for a while, but it’s not really a while. We stared seriously at each other, , our atmosphere felt so heavy like we are a big shots of company in crisis meeting. Almost half hour passed as we wait who speaks first. The two night moons is already up, shining down in the darkness.

Anastasia felt irritated, and she have a urge to talk about something with me but she likes me to start first.

“Who should talk first?” Anastasia asked.

“You already did, go ahead.” I replied jokingly.

“Oi! Shouldn’t you be the one first, because I did something to you?”

“Alright.” I replied then I sighed.

Well, where should I start first? My questions keeps piling as she told me a lot of things about her earlier. My original question was already answered but I want to ask more about her.

“I want you to start about your matters with me first, but since you seem like you want me first, I guess can’t be helped.” I glared at her. “So, what are you really up to?”

Anastasia twitched, because she felt an killing intent, even though I didn't intend to, what the?

Opsss, I overdid it.

“Sorry. I mean, can you talk about yourself more for me? About your title being the last witch, and is 300 years old mentally.”

Anastasia had paused for a few seconds before speaking, as she is thinking about where to start first too.

“Well uh, once again, I am Anastasia, The Last Witch. I won’t tell you every detail but, According to the note here in this book…” she said as she showed me the book she was holding the whole time. “My soul is reincarnated from a witch person from the past, that witch is also me.”

So, she’s also a reincarnation like me. I’m little envy of her that she’s in a humanoid form.

“And you believe that by just reading the notes?” I asked.

“Yes, because my whole existence believes, and not a single doubt.” She answered. “Something inside me resonates every time I read the notes, and the first time I read about it, a some memory surge into my head, and it felt sad. Maybe this body she made is configured to be like that.”

“Oh, sorry for doubting you. It’s must been hard for you.”

“No, it’s okay. I know it’s hard to believe in something like reincarnating. Then shall I begin?”

Well, I am reincarnated too so I believed that part. It’s just I didn’t expect her to be one.

“Sure.” I replied with a smile.

Anastasia took a deep breath, and let it all out like there’s no tomorrow. Is she nervous? Oh right, she feels something every time she reads the note.

“Apparently, our race is of a Demon, and a sub race of Witch. Then our race extermination happened hunders of year ago. The God’s saw witches as an eyesore, because witches keeps formulating things like new modifications of land and things, magic spells, skills and specially curses. Which God’s hated. They sent a false prophecy to humans that we are preparing to invade them and use our powerful spells and curses to massacre humans. The God’s gave them a blessed divine water for effectively killing witches. Humans summoned heroes as their aide and so the story goes on.

The witch had barely escaped her burning home, screaming in agonize, it was hard for her to leave but she had to. She was the only one left in her witch race at least that’s base on her knowledge, she didn’t look back after her escape. She proclaimed herself the last witch. She headed to the west next to the Dragon’s mountain. Live in a large tree that she found suited as a hidding place, modified it and then created a concealment which left undiscovered until present, as she created a device that continously slowly gathering mana particle in it to fuel the concealment in long run.

She devoted her remaining life in formulating and honing her skill and writing it all in papers, counting years. Later she compiled it all into one book.

She said that the time she wrote these part of note, she’s at the edge of their life span of 300 years. She was preparing for the first trial and error of her own formulated “Reincarnation” spell as she wanted to come back and make a revenge for her peoples in her younger physique. As she can’t move fiercely anymore in her old frail body. Her having knowledge of both Alchemy and Witchcrafts, she combined it to formulate in her own version. By first trial and error she meant, she didn’t know how long it takes it activate, or if it would be successful. Even if it’s successful she doesn’t know if all her memories will still be intact, she didn’t have a way of confirming, and that’s one reason she created the book.

 The result will only be known successful, if the soul is awaken inside a humanoid body she created as a body for the soul, the body would be developed into a matured teenager after it is successful. It’s hidden in the basement of the house concealed in a tree. Aside from the notes. All her knowledge about Witchcrafts, Alchemy, and Magic spells were all written in one thick book to prepare her reincarnated soul and to know everything.

She died at exactly the time she reached 300 years old, and then the reincarnation spell activated.”

Anastasia stood up proudly from the chair and put her arms in her chest and continued.

“And that reincarnated soul of witch in a humanoid body she created is me! However, I won’t be even be aware if I got lazy reading all this pages of notes! This body was supposed to grow in more matured than this but for some reason I stopped growing!”Anastasia said as she complains.

“My brain can’t keep up with thise whole lot of formula of magic and what so ever to find the solution but, there isn’t a single trace of me being once the genius witch who successfully formulated her own version of Reincarnation with only one try! I don’t even know how many years have passed since then.”

Now she’s complaining in her own doings. You’re regreting it now? Isn’t this your past self wish? What a terrible fellow. Well, I strongly believe her story now, about reincarnating because I am a reincarnated person too, in a frog though.

“I have no idea how to get my full power and whole memories from past, and to that I’ll just read this book from the front page to end! Even if I can’t regain it all I’ll just create new memories in this second life! “ Anastasia continued with a mixed emotions in her.

“Well uh, goodluck with reading all of that. It’s seems so heavy though.” I replied with a gloomy face.

I’m never even gonna get to the 1/3 of the book if I were her. No, even if I’m only still at the 1st page I’ll give up! I have never been a book worm even in my past.

“In this life I’m basically new, and from the time I’m waken uh….” Anastasia said as she tried and struggled counting with her fingers. “Yes! I’m 1 week old, Probably! Don’t call me grandma and litte girl just because I was 300 years old in my previous body and this is how I look in present okay!? I’ll adjust my body when I have learn how and have enough mana.”

Fuehh, I looked at her with narrowed eyes. This girl is talkative.

So, a product of combined witchcraft and alchemy. A humanoid, maybe she is something like a homunculus? 

“What’s with that look? Okay now that I’m done, you should too!” she demanded.

The heavy emotions that she have when she is telling the story is gone, now it returned into her sparkly aura. What a pain. Should I tell her that I’m a reincarnated person too? Well uh, she told me her secrets but it doesn’t mean I can trust her yet. But, whatever, it’s not like she can spread it to humans or anything. In addition, I’m a former human, would she hate me? Would she suddenly rage?

“First, don’t hate me after hearing what I am about to tell you. Okay? ”

“Humu.” Anastasia said and nodded in agreement.

Looks like she agrees. She still have her sparkly environment, I hope so.

“I am a reincarnated person too, but my past memories are intact. Also, I’m a former human.” I said as I quickly closed my eyes.

Huh? No changes in temperature. Also no rumbling or any shaking thing? She didn’t hit or tried to kill me. No maybe I’m already dead before I know it.
l

I slowly open my eyes to peek on what her reaction, but I was surprised that nothing changed. I’m still alive as well.  

“Uh, s-so aren’t you angry that I’m once a human?” I asked.

“No, why would I be? I don’t feel any remorse and vengeance like my past self. Even if that’s what she wanted, and regain all memories and my power back then, I won’t. Unless you or they get in my way.” Anastasia quickly responded seriously. “Is that all?” she smiled.

She still have her sparkly aura despite of what I said. She’s still expecting something to come out of my mouth. I wonder what could it be. I was worried for nothing, I guess.

After that, I didn’t a choice but to tell her everything. About some details in my last moments in previous life, about the Goddess who reincarnated me into non-human species, and I turned into a Frogy. Also for how can a monster like me talk, but I didn’t tell her about the 『Create-Revision』skill that I have. So far, Anastasia enjoyed my story as well, like what’s so interesting about it?

Some  minutes have past after telling my stories. 

“Is that it?” Anastasia asked, disappointed.

“What? You still want more? I don’t have some sorts of back stories like yourself! I was just a normal human being!” I said straightly.

“Your life must have been boring.” Anastasia said with a bored look.

“You!” I was about to hit her once jokingly but I was stopped stopped by her words, she didn’t try to dodge.

“So, how about we make a contract? In exchange, a name for you?”

“What are you talking about?” I asked in confusion.

“A named monster becomes more stronger, that’s why you shouldn’t name a monster if it isn’t your familiar. I planned to catch you as my first familiar or slave when I first saw you but, now that I know you something about you, I changed my mind. Instead, we’ll do a contract, and to that we can’t do a contract with you not having a name, so be grateful that I’d name you even not being my familiar.” Anastasia said confidently with a smile.

I was surprised by the fact that I can be named! Of course right? You can name anything if you want to, but not something like what Anastasia said. I just ignored the fact that she wanted me to become her slave or something.

“Really? What’s does naming benefits me, aside from becoming stronger?” I asked.

“Well uh..” Anastasia couldn’t answer quickly, and thought hardly of something for a moment.

“Ah-ha! I know, we can become friends, we’ll do a friendship contract! The other one is, I will teach you magic and some things as I learn what is written in the book too! Sounds like a good deal right!?”

“Why are you desperate?” I asked.

“A-, that’s… “

She paused for a moment, and fidgets as she do pointing index fingers while looking somewhere else, and is blushing in her cheeks and to her ears.

“Well, you know, I gained a memory in my past life, that I don’t have any friends because I was so focused in studying and researches. I don’t want to be like that again. So I want you to at least become my first friend in this second life while I study and research.” Anastasia said and with a nervous forced smile.

I was caught off guard be her sudden cute bashful moment, at the same time, I felt sad. What should I do? I can’t turn down a girl when she’s the one asking me right? I also feel her, I don’t have that many friends in my previous life. Maybe it’s not really a bad deal, I want to learn magic! Whatever! This is maybe my first and last chance talking to a girl!

“Okay, let’s do it! ” I said without hesitation with a frogish big smile. Why would I decline a girls wish? I may be a scumbag that ignores almost everything in my past life, but I won't bring that up this time. 

She looked at me as she was surprised by my response, her nervousness is gone, and a smile is slowly raising in her lips.

“Okay!” She replied with her bigest and cutest smile.

I can feel her happiness overflowing in the room. Yes, I just made a girl feel happy, I couldn’t do it in my past life as I kept avoiding peoples, I am an anti-social person. However, she’s a young girl with 300 years old mental age! I forgot about that because she’s too cute, but whatever. I’ll just go with wherever fates leads me.

After that we talk about more of our selves as we prepare for the contract ritual area and things we will use. The night is deep, and dangerous. I suppose time works differently in here, it looks like day is longer than night. Well it sometimes often in Earth, so maybe it’s not so different at all.

“Give us a Last name, and I’ll give you a First name. The Last name you give us will be our sign of friendship, so think about it well okay?” Anastasia said with a smile as she is looking for something in a box.

A last name huh, I’m not really good in naming, and don’t do it often. Even all my In game name, I even take a whole day to think about it. I always take a lot of time in the name setting screen of a game.

 A last name for a witch and a frog. What a weird pair to have, no it’s not that bad. Hmm, this is hard! 

Wait, a monster here is like equivalent of an animal in Earth, but mutated or something. And I'm a monster. If I put that logic here, and she is to name me, then isn't that like I am her domesticated animal pet!?

Well, whatever. I just hope I don't experience animal cruelty from her. 

“Our last name will be ‘Astra’. Yes, how does that sound?“ I said with a slight hesitation.

'Astra', I only read it somewhere before. It means 'star', but I really didn't go deeply about that. 

I don’t know if she’ll agree. I wonder if there is at least a single connection to her name though. Aside from being the same first letter. 

She paused her search for a moment after hearing and smiled.

“You have quite weird sense. Why did you choose one with letter ‘A’ at the start, knowing my name also starts with it?”

 She walked right in front of me,then hunched a little in front of my face.

“Okay! Since that’s how you want it, your name will be ‘Ares’, you are ‘Ares Astra’. How’s that sounds? Beautiful isn’t it?” She said as she pointed her index finger in my forehead, with a smile at the end. Uwa, she also matched it with the first letter, right? Well it’s not that bad tho, it’s easy to pronounce and not to long.

“Thank you for naming me!” I replied also returning her a smile.

A feeling like magic or mana flowed from her to me.

Huh?

After that, I felt a sudden rise and rampage of energy inside me. Also, something like a mana feeling is flowed and carved through my DNA, it's like a new cell is added. My whole body glows. All my stat value added 1000 in it, but my luck haven’t, it only added 1. My level haven’t gone up to but I gained half of the required exp. Fifty skill and status points were also added.

My skills that have level as well gained 1 up. I feel like my body became lighter and new, It feels refreshing. The process took about 15 seconds to finish.
Of course something such as this suppose to be dramatic. 

The empty name box before is now filled with ‘Ares Astra.’

Nothing change in my physical appearance, it’s all gone to power. It’s not that I’m expecting to finally achieve my first goal at the same day I set it, to have a human physical appearance and body. I guess, I’m still too far from it.

“I’ll introduce myself once again. I am Anastasia Astra! The Last Witch!“ she said as she came to me handing her right hand.

“Oi! It’s not fair that you’re only one to have a title, well whatever.” I said as I sighed at the end. “and, I am Ares Astra! The Self-proclaimed Last Witch’s Friend. Nice to meet you, Ana!” I handed my right hand or feet to her with a frogish smile.

We shoke our hands. 

“Oi! You don’t have to add Self-proclaimed there.” She looked at me with narrowed eyes. “And you gave me a nickname that quick huh, feeling closer to me now eh?" Anastasia said with a grin on her face.

After that, we continued to do our preparation for the contract we are going to do as we talk and laugh about random things we talk about. The time is flowing around around us is either slowed or fasten, we don’t feel and notice it us we are having fun talking.

1