Part 2 ~ Meet Sir Ezron
175 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elsprinc 13th, 799 – Morning


You decide to obey your father's orders. Your father didn't say what punishment he would give if you disobey his orders or even if you just trick him a little, but you know it's going to hurt. There's no point in having fun for a day when you're going to have to suffer for a week.

But you have to think about the beach volleyball game you fail to participate in this morning. You must do something so that your reputation does not fall in the eyes of your rivals, as well as your friends.

You summon Aron, the skinny young man who serves as a messenger at Valerin Castle.

You say, “Go to the East Coast now. Look for Issa Brynder, Ruy Hassen or Hanna Esterri. Tell them my father told me to train this morning. Ask them to postpone the game, and make a new schedule. If Marko and his friends still insist on continuing this morning's match, have Issa or Ruy mock him; say that Marko only dares to play when I’m not around. Remember, their mockings have to be better than Marko's. Do you remember all my words?”

"I've had messages longer than this," Aron says.

The young man takes his horse and leaves quickly.

One problem solved. Now it's time for you to face the next problem.

You walk briskly across the castle's forecourt to the large building on the east, which is about fifty meters from the North Tower. The training ground is next to the barracks where the soldiers live. A high wall is in front of it, and behind it is a small field. Soldiers are practicing using swords, spears, sticks, bows, or other weapons. They straighten up and salute when they see you. You give them a nod and walk up the stairs to the office.

Sir Ezron is sitting behind his desk looking at the sheet of paper in front of him. The man still looks dashing at the age of 50 years. His shoulders are broad, his arms are stout, and his hair is thinly shaved. He lifts his head when he hears your steps.

"Good. This time you obey your father's orders."

"I hope this is important," you mutter. "More important than my match against Marko on the beach."

“Well, if you want to fight him, let me invite him here, and you both can fight sword. Do you want it?"

“Aaa… no need,” you refuse.

You never like it when you have to fight with weapons. Too stressful. It's different if you compete through games, which are more fun.

Archery is fun too, but it's better not to.

"All right," Sir Ezron says after you sit down. “Your father asked me to give you tests, to assess your ability to wield a sword, because… you know, that’s the weapon of the nobility, which will determine your reputation. For now, you don't have to think about spears, halberds, maces, hammers, or anything else, which soldiers find easier and more deadly in field combat. Those are not for you. Actually, I can judge you from now on, but your father wants some tests. So, that's what we're going to do."

"Ok, let's do it. The sooner, the better."

Sir Ezron laughs. “So you can run away again as soon as possible? Don't be in a hurry. That's only half what we're going to do. There are other important things we need to discuss as well, but later when you're ready."

You and Sir Ezron are out on the field. All the soldiers who are training pull aside. But of course, Sir Ezron doesn't want to see his men relaxing, so he asks them to keep training on the sidelines.

In the first stage of the exam, you have to demonstrate your basic abilities. So, in the middle of the field, you swing your sword and move to and fro. Run, jump, spin, stab, slash your sword up, center, and down. You show all the swordsmanship you've learned so far. Sir Ezron seems satisfied, and he only shouts once, telling you to move faster and with more power.

The second stage is more difficult because now you have to compete against people. You don’t like it, but you can't avoid it. Fortunately, the weapon used is wooden swords, so you don't have to be afraid of getting hurt.

"You're going up against three people," said Sir Ezron. “Dallin is your first opponent. If you win over him, you'll be fighting Tucker. If you lose, you will repeat your test tomorrow, returning to the first stage.”

Repeat all of this tomorrow? That sucks.

You watch those men. Both are formidable warriors in Ellandhar. They're not easy opponents, but you have to win.

You stand alert in the middle of the field, pointing your sword at Dallin. He’s 30 years old, well built with a height slightly below you. He smirks behind his beard. Surely he wants you to make practice non-stop in this place.

You advance slowly, then wait, not wanting to rush. Dallin looks cautious at first but then charges forward with a straight attack. You parry his sword to the side and stab in turn. You two take turns attacking and defending, jumping and moving looking for gaps. The intense battle makes the soldiers around the field stop practicing and watch. Sir Ezron doesn't seem to mind now.

Until a few minutes, you and your opponent are still equal. You're starting to feel tired, but luckily Dallin's condition isn't any better. Maybe it's time for you to take the plunge. You lower your sword. Dallin, who thinks you have lost your concentration, is provoked. His sword slides straight towards your body. You quickly dodge to the left and then hit his sword with all your might.

Dallin's stifled breath is heard. He realizes that he has been trapped. He tries to draw his sword to defend again, but it's too late. The tip of your sword hit his chest. Dallin groans in pain and is forced to take a few steps back. He loses.

The soldiers on the edge of the field cheer for your victory.

"May I rest for a few minutes?" Gasping on air, you ask Sir Ezron when you see Tucker advancing toward the center of the field.

"Do you think you can rest in the middle of the battle?" Sir Ezron laughs. "You can drink for a while, then hurry up and continue. Remember, like before, if you lose, you will repeat all your exams tomorrow."

As you drink you think and admit that your stamina still seems to be poor. You still have to practice in that matter.

Your second match is about to start. Tucker is taller than you. He's slightly older than you and seems to have more power than Dallin.

Tucker attacks with an aggressive style. The swing of his sword is strong. You chose to parry while moving along with his movements, not wanting to compete with his strength. You haven't even attacked in a while. Of course, you want to attack too, but so far there's been no chance.

It’s not until a long time later, after continuing to endure, that you finally get your chance. As Tucker swings his sword from the side towards your shoulder, you lower your head and point the tip of your sword at his right thigh.

If it have been an iron sword, the thigh will have been torn apart. At this moment Tucker just let out a low scream and tries to pull his leg away. But his balance is lost and his defenses are exposed. Half bow, you swing your sword. Tucker tries to parry, but the tip of your sword hits his hip first. Tucker backs away, his eyes bulging, trying to endure the pain. With a growl, he raises his sword, ready to strike you again.

Sir Ezron screams, “Stop it! You lost, Tucker."

Tucker looks disgruntled for a moment, before finally nodding.

The soldiers around the field give you a round of applause.

"Sorry, Tucker," you say. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, no problem. Good swordplay, Young Master. Congrats."

That congratulations are too early. You still have one more match to play. Who do you have to face now? Looks like Sir Ezron himself. Who else? And you know, there's no way you can win against that guy. No one can beat Sir Ezron at Ellandhar.

This means this is all just a ploy to make you repeat this test over and over again for days. If that's the case, why didn't he just say so? There's no need to give you hope through this kind of test. After all, if you have to practice, you will obey.

"Are you ready for the next match?" Sir Ezron asks.

"Yes," you retort. "Go ahead, sir."

"You have to choose who you will face."

"Who are the choices?"

"Me, or someone else."

“Someone else? Who?" you ask confused.

Sir Ezron laughs. "That person will only appear after you choose."

You're thinking hard. Who in Ellandhar is better than Dallin and Tucker, apart from Sir Ezron? There are several other knights and warriors, as well as Aiko and your father's bodyguards. They’re all excellent fighters. But as far as you know they are on duty elsewhere. But yes, there is a possibility that they have returned and are now trying to work on you in this place. That sucks if it’s true. It seems odd that people as serious and busy as they are would want to be involved in dealing with your exams here.

But maybe not them either. Could it be Marko Arkandis? He’s the son of the Count of Helchion and certainly not an Ellandhar, but he’s always happy to have a sword fight with you. Of course, because he's better than you. But it shouldn't be possible. He must still be at the beach because he was going to play against you in a volleyball match there. Except, if it turns out that Marko didn't go to the beach either, because Sir Ezron invited him to come here. If that's the case, this is a cunning plan from Sir Ezron.

On the other hand, if it's really Marko who will be your next opponent, you may have a chance of winning, even if it's only small. Yes, as long as your opponent is not Sir Ezron, whoever this person is, you have a chance to win.

"So?" Sir Ezron asks again. "Who do you choose against?"

Everyone is looking at you, waiting for your answer.

Which opponent will you choose?
  • Sir Ezron Votes: 2 33.3%
  • The other person Votes: 4 66.7%
Total voters: 6 · This poll was closed on Oct 9, 2021 08:24 AM.
4