Chapter VI: The Kokiri Emerald
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Link strode through a winding path, and about him stood the Deku Babas as their number had greatly multiplied in discord to the forest's nature. They had grown of monstrous size as their bulbs on long stems lunged forth with open maw in effort to rip the flesh from the lad. Indeed, the babas could be dangerous in multitude if one was not careful.

The path would weave and wind until Link entered the great meadow, and there the Great Deku Tree stood in his great might. Yet, he was not whole. The tree’s bark had begun to crack, his sap was drying out, and the branches of his boughs had begun to twist and curl in disform. And his leaves were turning as though spring had become late autumn. Moreover, the tree’s breath had drawn out wearily in deep breaths which revealed that he was struggling.

“Ah, Navi. Thank you for bringing him.” The great tree thanked Link’s fairy in embrace, and then he spoke to Link with a voice of patience. The same patience as that which stirs growth in all living things. “And Link, thank you for coming. … I am sure you are glad to have finally received your fairy. I am sorry for having waited so long, but now I know it is time. For Time is of the essence.”

“Thank you, …” Link replied with the respect and understanding a child speaks with his cherished father, “…and it’s alright. … I know that as you will it, it is for the best.”

“Saria has raised you well, and I know that your friendship will develop and bloom in reaching beyond the refines of the world and even beyond Time. You have grown strong and your heart is true. You are a true Kokiri, and never let those who shun or disrespect you persuade you otherwise. But even so, there is much more to you than any of the Kokiri, or even Saria, can fathom.” The Great Deku Smiled then in a moment’s joy that Link would never forget it. “But I digress in rambling as I am in distress. For an evil has entered Hyrule and now even into this forest. It has touched all good things who grow and live, and those sensitive to it are troubled by it. Yeah, even a dream would had troubled you.” Link’s features had turned alert in hearing those words, to which the tree asked. “That is so, is it not.”

And Link nodded solemnly, “Yes, Father. That is true.”

“Alas,” The Deku Tree went on to say, “I have been cursed by this evil and my power wains. As Mido must have told you, I am not well. Therefore as I fade, the forest will change and darkness will inevitably rise in power to overtake the forest. I…I have a favor to ask of you, Link. For of all of my children, you have shown courage. Will you show this courage to me? Will you help me now and stand for your brothers and sisters? Will you stand to defeat this curse?”

Link thought hard then with so much to soak in. His eyes twitched as so did his mind in memory and thought. At length, he gave a sobered response, “I will.”

“Then enter,” Replied the tree, “and do as thou hast said. Move with patience and you will find it. Listen also to Navi as her counsel will aid you in wisdom for your walk.” And then to Link’s astonishment, the maw of the Great Deku Tree had opened agape as an opening gate gives entrance to a vast hall.

Proceeding into the tree, Link found that the hollow was broad and far reaching as it did indeed prove to be a great hall. Link thought then on what Saria used to tell him about the elder Kokiri. She told him how they used to congregate here upon seasons. For the older ones of her time were wise and their sight was far ranging as the Deku Tree showed them much. But strangers had crept into Hyrule in those days with shadows, and they brought distress even upon the depths of the forest. Many of the old Kokiri had pursued the shadows chasing them off deep into the Lost Woods. Alas, while the Kokiri were victorious, they were themselves overwhelmed by the wild spirits of the deep fairy woods. Thus as they had faded from the present world, the elder Kokiri were forever lost. Only Saria remained of the old ones as she was left behind to guide the young. Link had observed that Saria was always sad with a deep pain when she told that story.

“Watch Out!” Navi broke Link's thoughts with a shout.

Link vaguely replied, “What?” when Smash! A great nut smote his face like a fistful of a punch, cracking the nut in the process. And as the nut cracked, it rendered a great flash of light. Link was stunned blind as he crouched over feeling the ground with his hands while his eyes took a moment to readjust.

“Link Move!” Navi shouted, and which Link rolled just in time to avoid the next shot.

Having an idea what direction the shots were projected from, the lad held out his shield in front of him as he took cover with his head bowed behind it. He did so just in time as another nut cracked against his shield. Then Link peeked over to see what could possibly be shooting at him, and it was apparent to come from a dark corner of shadows. He couldn’t see what it was.

“Navi, I can’t see it.” Link remarked, “What is it?”

“It’s a Deku Shrub.” Navi answered.  “Of all of the Deku folk, they are the least hardy and the most cowardly. While they’re not really hostile, they can be very territorial and will always make a big front. See if you can repel its Deku Nuts with your shield.”

“Yeah, but I can’t see it!” Link exclaimed with frustration as another nut flashed on him.

Navi scurried over quickly above the shadow as her light illuminated the darkness in revealing a wooden body with a bush of leaves all about it with red eyes burning in its wooden face, and the scrub's nose extruded as a long snout. Or was that his mouth? But when the scrub perceived that Link had seen him, it ducked its head down with its leaves serving as its cover.

Taking the opportunity, Link picked himself up in haste as he hurried in advance upon the scrub. But as his guard was down, the scrub had risen again as he shot another nut from his snout. At that, Link stopped again as he dropped to cover with his shield. He thought then on what Navi had said. And with that, he advanced again with his shield raised. The scrub was intimidated at this as it was unexpected, and in a moment of desperation, he shot again despite knowing he would not avail. True enough that was as Link batted the nut with his shield back at the scrub; whereas, the scrub yelped a big “Whelfff!” And started scurrying cowardly backwards to the wall.

“Don’t! Don’t hurt me!” The scrub begged.

“What do you offer so that you and I might find peace?” Link enquired.

“I will help you and tell you anything you want to know, if I am able.” Answered the Scrub.

“Something has come into the Deku Tree here and will kill him if we don’t stop it.” Navi said, “Has anything odd happened or come here lately?”

“Last night!” The scrub immediately told. “A shadow of a strange shape that revealed a monster of great size made its way into the tree. I couldn’t see it well and I don’t know or have any idea of what it is. But if you make your way to the center of the hall, that’s where it disappeared.”

Observing, Link gazed to the center which he could not see well enough to make out. “Alright.” He acknowledged.

“Does this mean you won’t hurt me?” The Deku Scrub asked excitedly, “That you’ll let me go?”

“Yes,” Link said calmly at first, but his tone intensified as he added. “If you leave. Now!”

Link’s voice was compelling as the scrub rushed off with a yelp. “Yikes!!”

Link moved slowly as he wasn’t sure what the center might hold, but as he drew near, Navi flew over while her light revealed a great hole in the floor that was freshly made. The marks were clear as the wood was chewed away as though something great and terrible had torn through the floor into the tree’s roots. As long as five children it spanned, and there was no knowing from where they stood how deep it delved.

Link gulped nervously. “What in the forest can tear a whole like that?”

Navi hummed with mixed lights, “I don’t know.”

“How do we get down there?” He asked further, to which the fairy only replied with a lolling swirl as though she were expressing a shrug. But then Link thought aloud, “Maybe you can go down there with your light so we can see what we’re looking at.”

But Navi was quick to rebut with sharp sarcasm, “Right, throw the light ball down into dark pit so YOU can see the monster! Nope!!”

“Alright.” Link conceded, “You got a point. …But hey!” He thought, “We can light a torch to throw down.” And he quickly began to reach for a piece of wood as he worked on his thought. Navi had doubts however, “I’m not sure about this. Hey! Are you listening?” And while they were distracted and arguing, they were thrown off as a great spider encased in bone hung down from the ceiling with its web as it landed on the deku floor. And it aggressively advanced upon the boy. It was a skulltulla from the legends when darkness once walked abroad the earth and monsters had flourished in the lands. Link wasn’t unfamiliar with them as their skullwaltulla kin of a person’s head size were occasionally found in the lost woods. Saria would always shun them away with with a flash of a Deku Nut. But would that work with the skulltulla that was equal his own size.

Link tried to use a nut as he quickly flashed it, and while it didn’t shun the skultulla, it was stunned as stone. For no arachnid can handle that intense of light. Spurring the moment of opportunity, Link begun to step; however, to his dismay the spider had regained its stance with such determination that it rushed upon Link unexpectedly that as it lunged, the motion of his sword pried up the spider as his blade pierced it tender body beneath its armor of bone. The impact of the spider’s momentum threw Link over the edge as he fell down the hole where many roots along with the descending dirt broke his fall. He never knew how far down it was.

Yet when Link shook of his fatigue and brought himself up, he found himself in a cave which stood greater than the deku hall. For it was vast as roots and dirt stood about. He saw this all of this as there were stones amidst the dirt that shined a light of their own, however dim. But those lights were insignificant to that of Navi’s as Link stood under her bright orb amidst an enveloping darkness.

Well, Link knew not what else to do than to look around. Doing so, he found that much of the roots had been eaten away and there were great tracks upon the floor that he couldn’t recognize. He did not like the look of things at all and a swelling fear was growing in him every step of the way. Link couldn’t shake the feeling and was ever more the certain that something loomed about him, watching him.

At length, Link came to a great root that was broad and twisted into the earth.

“It’s the tap root of the Great Deku Tree.” The fairy explained, “His core.”

Link was concerned, “Much of it is eaten.”

“Yes.” Navi replied, “This ‘thing’ has been devouring him.”

And in that moment, Link heard something behind them above. He looked back and saw nothing. But wait … up high on the ceiling was movement. Then he saw it as it revealed its one opening eye, full of ire as it looked on menacingly.

“Ghoma…” Navi thought aloud.

“Who?” Enquired Link, not taking his attention off of it.

“In ancient history,” Navi went on to elaborate, “…when the devil himself walked the earth, monsters were ever prevalent making war on the world. Ghoma was the queen of the arachnids, the spiders of all kinds, as she warred with the Deku folk. But she had no power as the Deku Tree’s power banished her. So, she fled to skulk in the darkness of the world’s pits.”

Link drew his sword then, and Ghoma had crawled along the ceiling over Link’s position where it dropped. Evading the impact as he leaped aside, the lad took his position only to be assailed by the great one eyed arachnid. Queen Ghoma stood the size of his living quarters with her two great legs, embodied by her great eye and appendages.

Link dodged, he parried, and even tried to slash and hack when opportunity presented itself, but her exoskeleton body had proven the fittest armor as his strikes were useless. Becoming weary, Link had the dire need to access the situation and reevaluate his opponent. So, he took a Deku Nut and casted it to the ground with a flash. The queen was very sensitive to light as she tossed about, stunned. Seizing the moment, Link ran into the darkness as Navi followed him when eventually he stopped, deeming himself to be far enough to buy time.

“Navi, your light’s too much.” Link pointed out.

“Well, it’s not like I can cut it off!” The fairy reprimanded.

“Quick!” Link pulled up his cap, “Hide in here.” And after she took cover under his hat as he put it back on, he made his way to a corner behind a great root.

“You know she still can see right?” Navi asked in checking his wit.

“Sure,” Link replied, “but at least your light won’t bring her straight to us. … I just need time.” He took a breath, “I can’t seem to inflict any damage to her. Ghoma’s armor is too thick.”

“The only weakness you may find is her eye.” Navi answered simply. “It’s the only part of her that’s vulnerable.”

“Vulnerable?” Link asked with frustration, “I can’t reach it!”

After the flash, Link was not the only one who needed to evaluate one’s opponent, for as Ghoma was not damaged by the light, she did not understand it. Wherefore, she fled to the ceiling and made her way to the center of the hall.

Link noticed this and released Navi as he needed her light. “What is she doing?” The boy asked.

Then with the fairies light amidst the hall, Link watched as Ghoma had let down another appendage from her rear as it hung down and snaked about. Ghoma’s eye opened then and the yellow iris turned unnaturally red as she she seemed to be in a dormant state, if dormant it was. But no, for the appendage carried something as it pushed forth and then whatever it was, it dropped into the hall as like a great round dodge ball with which children would play. And then there was another.

The realization dawned the fairy in dismay, “Eggs.”

By time the third one had landed, the first had hatched as an arachnid breached forth with a pair of legs with a single eye. And more continued to drop.

In a moment of daring, Link took off in run against his new enemies. “Hey!!!” Navi called while shocked with the boldness of Link, though she had counted it rather as foolishness at the time. “Link stop, that's what she wants!!” But Link didn’t hear her, or if he did he did not head her. And he charged in upon the young offspring of Ghoma.

Link was never phased as the offspring advanced upon his aggression, and with every strike of hack and slash, he slew them. But as he came to the last of them, Ghoma dropped about him as the quake of her wake had stumbled him down upon his back. In a moment, the great arachnid would have had him were it not for the fairy who came out of no where flashing her light dizzily about the queen’s eye. And the eye turned red again from the madness of it. Navi had dearly risked her life in that moment as she had come close many times to being taken by the hideous beast.

Quickly, Link had to think of something fast. Then when it hit him as he considered Navi’s words about the eye, he drew out Fado’s slingshot along with placing a Deku Nut in it. Now while Link had been a decent shot with a slingshot in time’s past, he was never a quick aim and never as sure of a shot as Fado. So, he took his time with his aim, and when he found his moment, Link shouted a Kokiri make of a screech owl call. The suddenness of which stirred Navi and Ghoma to a steady moment as he released the nut to smite Ghoma’s eye. And then the great spider screamed as she hunched down, lividly rubbing herself upon the floor as she tried to comfort her misery.

“Now Link!” Navi called.

And Link did not hesitate as he rushed upon his enemy and drove the blade into the queen’s eye. Then Ghoma screeched as she wreaked havoc about her until she eventually fell where she would never stir to trouble the world ever again.

Navi, furious from Link’s charge upon the offspring, scolded him. “Listen!!!! Next time you do just that, you listen to me before you just go bolting into danger!! Do you hear me?! …” She stopped herself abruptly as she found Link passed out beneath the carcass of the beast. For he could not evade the fall of the ravening spider. “Link?!?” She worriedly called, but was answered as the voice of the tree spoke.

“He is fine, dear Navi. He has only passed out from the exhaustion and excitement of the unexpected end.”

The roots begun to move then, and they lifted the carcass off of Link as more lifted him to be carried out of the cavern up into the Deku Tree’s main hall where shrubs carried him to the meadow outside before the tree. And they left him there.

Before long, Link began to stir to find himself laid down before the Deku Tree in the meadow. Alert, he sat right up immediately in question, but then he was again settled by the tree's voice.

“Well done young Hero.” The Deku Tree congratulated. “Facing the trial, your courage has shown forth, and you have proven yourself the Hero that I believe you are.” Link had stood up then and though he felt proud to hear the forest father speak of him so, his head cocked with question as he did not understand the weight of the Deku Tree’s meaning.

“How did Ghoma overtake you, Father?” Link asked, “Navi told me that you had defeated and banished her in ancient past.”

“The importance of the situation holds greater weight in matters even darker than Ghoma. For her malice over me was but the beginning of the darkness that looms over Hyrule. And so now I must tell you of Hyrule’s ancient history of the world. Do well to listen.”

“In the beginning," The Deku Tree went on to tell, "the three goddesses: Nayru, Din, and Farore created the world. Nayru poured her wisdom into the earth to love with kindness and to understand the law and she gave the graceful sky wherein the lights of the stars, sun, and moon are embraced in harmony. Din gave the law and by her power, she gave the substance of the earth. And Farore gave life whereas the law is to be upheld, and she gave her courage into life so that they may bear it. In the end, when their work was done, they ascended reign on their thrones to oversee the work of the world, and behind they left us the prowess of their power, the Triforce which manifests itself to mortals as a relic of three golden triangles: Wisdom, Power, and Courage. In the Sacred Realm, it resides.

Because of this, a man from the desert came to me seeking the Spiritual Stone that I keep. For he seeks the Triforce. … I withheld the Stone from him, but alas he had proven more powerful than I had perceived. So desperate he was to acquire the Stone that he had conspired with Ghoma in bringing her upon me. Alas, that I have been powerless against him.

Though you have accomplished a great feat, it has only proven to be a trial for the feats you must now undertake. You have saved the forest from a vile evil had Ghoma lived, but as for myself, even before you had awakened this morning, it was too late. Ghoma had devoured too much.”

Link was troubled then as his hopes were crumbling into despair, and he wept as the tree’s rasping breaths had worsened.

“Link,” The struggling tree continued, “you must leave the forest and go to the castle. There find the princess of destiny where she will guide you further. And above all you must not allow Dragmire, the king of the desert, to enter the Sacred Realm to claim the Triforce at any cost.”

“Ho…w…what…” Link stuttered as his throat cracked and his feet trembled, and it felt as though the very ground had abandoned him. For everything had gone wrong.

“Navi will be with you always to guide and aid you,” The tree added,  “and she will be your confidence. And Navi you are to go with him, never to leave his side as you must see him through to his journey’s end.”

And Navi answered, “I will.”

“Now then,” The tree continued to say. “Link hold out thine hands, gracefully.” The boy did so and a new light took place before him as the earth shook, the trees swayed, the wind whistled, and the roots unfurled as they grafted up. A new opening took place within the Deku Tree’s trunk as though it had served as a compartment. The root like a hand with fingers reached and brought forth the source of this strange light. It was green and shined as the fair stars of the sky as the tree laid the stone into Link’s hand. Dumbstruck, Link marveled at it. It was a round emerald encased in a golden spiral for which the Kokiri emblem signified. “Take this Spiritual Stone and present it to the fair princess you must seek. This is the stone that King Dragmire sought. This is the Spiritual Stone of the Forest. It is the Kokiri Emerald. Take special care to protect it, even with your life.”

Then Link placed it in his pouch that he wore upon his belt, and he found all of this to be so much to digest. Overwhelmed, he shook like a leaf in the wind as he was filled with great doubt.

“Link.” The Great Deku Tree returned with his leaves ever shaking in their withering. “Promise me that you will do this. Promise me you will fulfill your quest. Promise me that you will hold strong with all of your courage and all of your might as you have shown today. Promise me.”

“I…I will.” Link answered with what voice he had, standing tall again for the honor of the Deku Tree, and his tears marred his youthful face.

“Good.” The Deku Tree feebly uttered in reply, “I am glad. I am proud of you. It has been my joy to watch over the Kokiri with Saria’s sweet lead and your graceful nobility.” … He paused with a slow breath before he spoke one last time. “Alas, that I must leave you now. Farewell.” And in that moment, the leaves had withered and fallen, everyone. The bark had popped and cracked as the wood had drawn up, and the tree had looked discolored and disfigured. From out of the branches, the fairies flew off, dispersed into the forest with small voices of weeping.

Navi lighted herself upon Link’s brow as her light nearly fainted. In silence Link stood, and his thoughts drifted in deep reminisce. Gazing upon the great tree, he felt numb and while his thoughts faded everything around him seemed both distant and remote. Standing for a half of an hour he continued to remain silent and unmoving when finally he broke out of it. Link bowed his head as he swiped the dried tears from his face with his arm. Following afterwards, he brought himself to composure to take his stance in the world about him, for their was a task to be done. “Well,” He calmly said with irises grief. “I should probably get going. … Farwell, dear Father of the Forest.” And with that he turned, at which Navi hovered up remaining behind in hesitation. Understanding, Link said nothing as he moved on.

In her moment alone, the fairy drooped her light, and with a parting voice. “Goodbye, Great Deku Tree.” And she left after Link.

Returning to the village, Link was met by the obstinate orange head. Mido stared Link down hard, for all of the Kokiri beheld from the distance that the Deku Tree’s leaves had fallen. “What happened? … What did you do?!?” The bully questioned with anger and jerked Link by the collar of his tunic. “Did he…” Mido paused, “Did he die?”

Link cringed in that moment, and he barely had the will to answer as he spoke. “Y-yes. … The threat is dead, but…but I was too late.”

Mido’s eyes widened as it was a reality that he could not accept, and he shouted at Link to the ears of all in the village who looked on. “How could you do a thing like that! It’s all your fault!!” And in a rage, he threw Link to the ground who offered no confrontation, and he fell into a pit in his heart with shame. “You were supposed to help him! But you let him down, and being the weak Fairy-less that you are you killed him! … Murderer!! … You’re not a Kokiri, you’re not one of us! You’ve never been one of us!! You’ve never belonged here!”

As Mido raved in his rant, Link looked up and as all listened, it was clear that many listened to Mido as none offered solace. Link could see the disappointment in their eyes. Then as Link couldn’t take it any more, he arose and fled northward in a sprint, pausing only to look for Saria. But she was not there nor anywhere to be found, and as he tried to talk or ask anyone about her, they would not speak with him. “I did not kill the Deku Tree, you must believe me.” But they each said nothing as they only drew away from him. Except for Fado who enquired after Link about where he was going.

“I don’t know.” Link said,  “The Deku Tree said that I was to leave and find Hyrule Castle.”

Fado’s eyes widened in marvel, “The Deku Tree told you to leave the forest?” Link nodded in answer, and Fado added, “Then go, and know that despite Mido’s madness, you will always be welcome back here.”

Link smirked with cynical sarcasm, “I don’t see that happening.”

But Fado waved it off, “Saria and I will calm things down. Mido is in shock right now. Despite his own ambitions, he does often mean well to the Kokiri as a whole, and as the Father was most graceful to him in his flaws, he loved the tree very dearly.”

After a deep and heavy sigh, Link told Fado, “I did try to save the Deku Tree.”

“I know…” Fado replied with acknowledgment. And when Link tried to return the slingshot, Fado answered. “Keep it, and may it serve you well.”

“Tell Saria…” Link begun, but he was cut off by the blonde Kokiri.

“You’ll tell her yourself when you come back.” And after Link nodded, they parted with a brother’s hand shake before Link took off again to the north through the tree line.

Eventually, the path brought Link to a bridge across a river which served as the gateway to the enchanted fairy woods and the strange new world of Hyrule. He never stopped in hesitation as he ran ever forward when then he heard it, that serene beautiful voice. “Oh…You’re leaving.” And he stopped on the spot as his heart almost stopped. There Saria stood upon the bridge, for he was so drowned with fear, sorrow, and worry that he almost missed her hadn’t she caught him with her voice. She looked so downcast in that moment, and yet she managed to smile as her eyes were faded with showering tears, each one a drop of light. He couldn’t bring himself to speak as the thought of leaving her took his breath away. The death of the Great Deku Tree, being called on in cursing by the Kokiri, being sent away from his friends, and leaving Saria “on top of it all” crushed him. His tears waxed moist in matching hers, and for a moment, nothing was said as gazes were fixed between irises of blue and green. And then he understood it that she was his whole world, this world he knew, and now he was leaving it, leaving her.

Saria drew out a special cloth of Kokiri linen and gave it to him. Link moved the cloth in uncovering her gift, and it was a fairy ocarina of deku wood from the great tree’s branches such as is rare. Only Saria’s own had been made like it. Thus she made special effort in crafting this one, but for how long? Her heart had to had been set on it.

“I…I” Link tried to speak with his cracking voice, but he couldn’t.

“With a voice like that, a bull frog might croak in answer.” Saria had said in effort of a cracking giggle, and Link had smiled with a smirk wherewith she was satisfied as she smiled. As solemn as he was, she was the one who could always find the way to get a smile out of him. “With this instrument, please remember us, and … don’t forget me.”

He looked at her earnestly then, and he placed her hand with his on the instrument as he locked eyes with her, “I…Will…Come Back.”

The girl of emerald nodded, and with the ocarina, Link stepped back. Five paces he took without ever taking his eyes off of her as he made sure to etch it into memory. And with that, he turned left into this new and strange world. So, Link came to the kingdom of Hyrule.   

How do you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
0