Chapter 126 Conditions for special access
560 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"First, you must honestly teach whatever you learn to Julia." Aron's face dried up when he heard the demand. Teach everything to he learned to that dumbo? Whom was he kidding?

While Aron had no doubt Julia was an amazing student who was at the top of her game, she was simply not very good at grasping the learning of ancient script. 

This matter actually puzzled him a lot. From what he had heard, Julia is easily ranked among the top ten talents among first-year students. Yet, if his last few teaching sessions had taught him something, it's that her aptitude was bad whenever ancient scripture knowledge was involved.

Not having much exposure to teaching anyone else, Aron didn't know that it wasn't Julia who was a slow learner, rather it was he who had a monstrous aptitude for the ancient script. 

"What happened? You don't agree..?" Aron felt the card start slipping from under his grasp as Nancy pulled her index finger back. "Ahh.. it's not possible to teach her everything, granny. But will it suffice you if I promise to try my best?"

Nancy fell silent for a while. "Solemn promise?" "Indeed." Aron felt the force trying to pull the card disappear at once. The boy sighed heavily. "You must understand, I have a lot of respect for Julia. I will not have even been sitting in front of you if not for her."

"But.. I am simply no good at teaching such hard concepts." Aron can't possibly blame Julia. Hence, he blamed his own deficiency to convince Nancy. 

"That's fine. I will be satisfied if you take out five hours every week to tutor her. If she can't understand it.. I won't blame you." How can Nancy not be aware of the out-of-this-world learning appetite of Aron? There was a good possibility Julia might not be able to match that. 

She only wanted a concession for the girl. Considering Aron was on great terms with the blonde, Nancy was resting assuredly. "Then coming to the second condition."

Aron gulped. Sweat beads appear on his forehead. Hopefully, she didn't put up some outrageous demand. The first one was tough enough on him.

"Take me out for dinner someday." Aron was sitting with his chin planted in his palm. Listening to the next condition, his chin slipped and he almost landed face-first on the desk. 

"Can you repeat?" Aron requested. "No, I won't. You heard me clearly." Nancy shot it down. "Granny.. I don't mind such old and young relationships, but don't you have a healthy reputation to maintain?" 

"..??" Watching the befuddled expression on the librarian's face, Aron cleared his throat. "I mean.. shouldn't you look for guys your age to take you on a date?" 

Nancy smirked at him. "A date? You got gum in your ears? It's called dinner. I just want to go out with someone. You might have guessed it by now, I am a lonely woman. I got neither a husband nor a son. And my grandson is too little for the task." 

Aron listened to her words with apt attention, nodding repeatedly. "If I go out with a man, there will be unnecessary rumors. You are the safest bet I got, so either you take me out or lose access." 

Not giving the boy even a minute to ponder, she once again tugged on the card, sending him into a panic. "I accept.. I accept." Is there even a need to think? All things considered, this second condition was way easier to fulfill. 

If he can take a fussy girl like Julia out, why can't he deal with Mrs. Nancy who is going to be a lot more mature? "Haha.. awesome. We have a deal then." Nancy rolled her blue hair over her index finger, smiling brightly. 

"When do you want to do it?" Aron questioned, securely putting his prized access card back into his pocket. "I don't have much to do at night anyway. You can choose the day at your convenience." 

"Got it..!!" Aron got up, done with his business here when he suddenly recalled something. "Please sign this as well, granny. I need it for a friend." The boy retrieved a letter from his pocket and spread it out on the desk for Nancy to read through it.

***

Aron spent his day strolling through the library, collecting books that will be the most useful. He was fully aware of how much of a disadvantaged position he was in.

Christina was good with her studies. As for Chris, even if he might not be the brightest among the lot, from his words it was clear that the was nowhere near Aron's level.

Also, he can't forget that the twins at least had some basic education before they joined the academy. This luxury was not with Aron. He will have to learn the concepts from the very beginning.

Because of this proposed test, all his plans were thrown haywire. Everything will have to be put on the back burner until he passes. 

Later in the day, both the twins also joined him and Christina helped both the boys with the subjects she had a good grasp on. The three of them studied hard until it was evening. 

"You want me to come along? But how can I enter?" The trio was walking back from the Central Library when Aron asked Chris to follow them to the girls' hostel. "Don't worry.. I made the arrangements." 

Chris believed in the resourcefulness of the boy and hence agreed readily. "Let's go then." Once they reached the gates of the hostel building, Aron stepped forth and handed over a small note to the guard ladies. 

The twins watched their expressions turn respectfully as they neatly folded the paper and returned it to Aron. "You can get in." 

Chris knew they were talking to him and with a nod, he followed the lead of Aron and his sister. "Hahaha.. what was that? Just how many people do you know here, brother?" Chris happily exclaimed, excited at the prospect of exploring the building no boys were allowed.

"Only one in this case. Nevertheless, she seems to enjoy a position with a lot of power." Aron replied as they crossed the beautiful front of the hostel, laced with sweet-smelling flowering plants on either side. 

"Can we know who is helping you out?" Christina was a lot more interested in these matters compared to her brother. They had been friends for some time, so she didn't hesitate to put up a direct question.

Aron mulled for a minute. "I guess it's not exactly a secret. Whenever I face any troubles, I ask Mrs. Nancy for help." He replied in a grateful tone. "She is the head librarian of the Central Library."

"Mrs. Nancy Burton?" Christina asked back. "Hm.. Yeah, I think that's her full name." Aron recalled reading it on the nameplate of her office room.

"Is she also the one who grants you special access to all the library sections?" Christina further probed. The more time she spent with the boy, the more amazing he was turning out to be. She just can't help knowing more about him.

"She is. Mrs. Nancy is the most benevolent person around." Although Christina was rendered uneasy by the fact that every benefactor of the boy turns off to be an older woman, she properly flushed her brain this time. 

There was no way such an esteemed lady like Mrs. Nancy Burton, mother-in-law of General Brooklyn, will ever fall for Aron's charms. She must have seen the merits of the boy to help him out so much. "Oh.." Her mind was peaceful now, Christina had no further questions to ask. 

Aron made sure to greet the lady at the reception and seeing no one was interested in stopping them, they made their way upstairs. 

"Do you want to join us as well, Christina?" The twins didn't even know what plans the boy had for them, still they showed complete trust in him. "Why not?" 

Aron led the group through the corridors and Chris almost fainted many times just by witnessing the sheer luxury these spoilt girls lived in. "Just imagine even half of it in our building? No.. renovation will not work at all. We will need a new building altogether." 

"You are right." Aron acknowledged. To him, it was more or less a rude reminder from the authorities that they must fight for equal treatment. 

Confidently crossing quite a few ladies who glanced in their direction, the trio found the room they were looking for. *Knock* *Knock* 

They waited patiently and a tall girl opened the door for them. "Hi Sophie, is Hestia available?" Sophie was a little taken aback by the visitors but taking a look at the books they were carrying along, she easily speculated why they were there.

"Come inside. She is in the bath." Ushering the guests inside, Sophie offered them drinks but the twins refused them. Aron was not one to stand on ceremony though, gulping down the refreshment to get rid of the built-up fatigue.

Sophie inquired them about Chris and Aron recounted the same tale he narrated to Christina. Sophie nodded. "You guys are doing the right thing." She said with a small smile.

Seeing the confusion on Aron and his buddies' faces, Sophie explained further. "You see most of the students here come with the baggage of their families and clans. As such, it's not hard to imagine them not taking Mrs. Yana's threats seriously." 

"While it's true that Mrs. Yana is a strict teacher, there had only ever been a handful of students who had opted to switch to a different homeroom. Their count will not exceed the fingers on my right hand." 

Aron and the twins glanced at each other, their expressions stiff. "You mean to say all the others were kicked out by Mrs. Yana herself?" Christina inquired.

Sophie smiled wryly. "Mrs. Yana is a famous personality. She is the only daughter of the most powerful General the nation had seen after all. It's only natural people will flock to get to her class."  

"Don't tell me they were weeded out just because they failed a stupidly written exam?" Chris wanted to protest this idea. How are students supposed to prosper only on classroom knowledge?

"Not really. Some failed the written test, others failed repeatedly at magic casting and yet others were simply 'too annoying'." Sophie inadvertently ended up looking at Aron who laughed awkwardly. 

The stunt he pulled with Mrs. Yana this morning seems to have spooked these girls. "Don't worry about me. I will be fine." He reassured, only for Sophie to nod softly. "I hope so." 

*Tap* "Hohoho.. we got visitors it seems?" Right then a girl walked out of the bathroom with nothing other than a towel wrapped around her. Tip-toeing into the room, she jumped right into Aron's lap. 

Christina watched in surprise. Wasn't Aron supposed to be close to Julia? If having the girl sit in his lap was any indication, she would suggest the blonde should have been his love interest, then what was this?

"You ready to please me?" Aron put his arm around her waist and pinched Hestia's slightly chubby cheek. "I haven't even asked you for help." 

"Don't bother about it. You three need my help to pass the upcoming test, I got it right?" Hestia proclaimed, making Chris heavily peck his head. He can think of no other reason why Aron will walk the extra mile to get a permit for him to enter this hostel building.

Aron sighed. From her smug face, he knew the girl had already planned for this possibility. "Then are you ready?" Aron sighed, half expecting the things he would have to offer in return.

"What choice do I have?" Aron answered and Hestia laughed arrogantly. Sophie crossed her arms around her chest. She too was interested in knowing what demands Hestia was going to put up.

17