Chapter 67: The Labyrinth & Team-Up
3.5k 9 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

...wow. Who'd thought it was that easy?

I'm currently keeping track of some caterpillars in the Alpha-swamp. Miranda was saying that these guys were unnatural for the swamp, so I got the idea of following them could lead me to the source of the event and I was right. Seriously, this is too easy. Makes me think it's a trap.

You see, most of the monsters living in fields tend to stick to certain areas and don't venture outside them. The verification teams, aka the paparazzi, have confirmed it. Or, that's what Al Azif told me after I asked him for some in-depth monster knowledge. 

But these guys are scouting all over the swamp. Like, the whole place. I've wasted my whole day's worth of playing time watching these jerks, but I'm glad I got some results for it...

YES! I do have a life outside this game! Rude!

Anyway, where was I? ...oh yeah. The caterpillars' water hole after a long day of walking around the stinky swamp. A stinky labyrinth made outta swamp material and solidified caterpillar silk. I thought only spiders and silkworms could produce... I'm an idiot. Where did you think the materials for cocoons came from, you idiot girl?

Back to the point, deep inside the Alpha swamp is a gigantic labyrinth-like structure. And I mean a literal labyrinth. Not a hive for caterpillar/wasp hybrids, not a test stage for lab rats, but a proper labyrinth. You know, like with the Minotaurus. Or the hedge labyrinth in, I don't know, royal gardens, or wherever they make those things?

The entrance is camouflage like an ordinary cave, but after walking somewhat into the place, you got your typical head puzzle from the kid's menu. Most of it's underneath a roof, but it seems to be under construction. That's how I managed to escape. Some spider-web cords and a jump and I was out of there.

And no, I wasn't caught. My spy skills have been polished like crazy, and I bet this event's not designed to be a post-game tier difficulty thing. But more and more caterpillars started to appear as I stalked the guides I'd been following all day, so I decided to quit and call it a day. I need to stretch my real limbs...

YES! I can walk outside, social real-life angst or not! Rudest. Guys. Ever.

---

It's the day after the labyrinth discovery, and I'm currently in the "poison spa", the nickname I came up with to Miranda's Boss Room. Why am I here? Do I need a reason to visit an utterly sexy (goddamn scary as hell) spider lady? ...yeah, you caught on. It's no pleasure trip.

"Webs left. Cut right. Wings up. Bomb behind. Threads everywhere." - Miranda

There, there, there, there, and everywhere!! Yes, it's "spider-studies"! And they're damn hard! Why did I ever ask for this sadist spider's teachings?! Stupid Boss Room-that-can-be-used-as-a-training-ground!!

"Okay, take five." - Miranda

F-f-finally..., I think I'll just lay spread out over here like a used napkin. *Dead*.

"And we're back. Webs upside-down." - Miranda

"Just five f*cking seconds!?" - Garami

[Garami, can you hear me?] - Bloom

Phew! Saved by the communicator.

"Sorry, Bloom! It seems the signals are bad from here! I'm coming over! Miranda, we'll continue another day. Cheese and peace!" - Garami

"...she's so running away." - Miranda

La-la-la-la! I can't hear you~!

And after a successful escape, I mean, after saying goodbye to Miranda, despite how heart-saving, *cough*, despite how heartbreaking it was, I returned to my Player Room. Bloom was waiting there, hopefully with good news. 

"Did you get anything?" - Garami

"I went to the Adventurers' Union as you asked me to, but no one has ever heard of poisonous caterpillar monsters building labyrinth-like hives." - Bloom

So much for the hopes and dreams about an easy victory. But it's nice to know even the Union can't see through Bloom's disguise equipment. The Blackmarket sure knows their quality goods.

"However, I did find someone who said they could help with our...infestation problem." - Bloom

"Really? Who?" - Garami

"That's the thing. They wanted to meet you in person. In the Barataria Adventurers' Union hall." - Bloom

...ah-hahahaha. Yeah, as if I'll ever go somewhere that public. Not after the horrifying misadventure that I did to myself yesterday after I logged out. And even more so after the web-hell just now. What a joke~.

---

It wasn't a joke. 

"Can I take your order?"

"...just water..." - Garami

"As you wish~." 

Ugh, I hate waitresses. Or restaurants without takeaway in general. Their clothes do look fancy though. Fancier than the last time I was here. Did someone clear a "Union hall upgrade"-quest or something?

Fortunately for me, this alleged info broker has scheduled a private room, so other than the waitress, there won't be anyone staring at me. The "event" at the entrance was enough for me...

"That was fast of you. The little maid didn't tell me you were that interested." 

Someone entered the private room. She must be the broker. It's a female Beastkin with fox ears being the only thing differing her from humans. She's got black hair, amber eyes, and dressed in a red-and-black kimono that invokes an image of fire... Where have I...

"*Gasp*! It has not been that long and you have already forgotten about this Aino~! *Sob, sob, sob*...*glance*" - Aino

Now I remember. She's that Weaver who introduced herself to me during the first event along with the elf that was used as bait that time and the loli-smith. Can't say she's the type I'm comfortable with. She's too...lively. And the crocodile tears don't suit her.

"Sorry. You said you knew something about the swamp?" - Garami

"Now, now~. Why don't we take our time and catch up~? Have some girls' talk~." - Aino

"No." - Garami

"Tch. You were such a bore back then too," replied Aino with a sour face before switching into a more professional one. "Then let's skip the pleasantries. Is it fine if I simply call you Garami?"

"Whatever." - Garami

"Yes, yes. I figured that you were not bothered by those kinds of things. *Cough*, Garami? How much do you know about the Venemy Caterpillars?" - Aino

"Venemy? Nothing. All I've seen are Veoron Caterpillars." - Garami

"I suspected that. Believe it or not, the source of this infestation of caterpillars in the Alberido Alpha Swamp near this city is due to the Venemy Caterpillars, a mutated evolution of the Veoron Caterpillars." - Aino

"You think so?" - Garami

"Why, I do~. This new species is taking command over the well-known Veoron Caterpillars you are acquainted with and is creating chaos~! I suspect that every swamp-areas, or rather, all the areas affected by this event will have one of these mutant species as their outbreak's source." - Aino

"That seems likely, assuming your "mutant"-idea is true." - Garami

"No worries there. I have studied these creatures even before the event started~. You can count on me when it comes to the Alberido Swamps~." - Aino

"...why? Didn't you say you were going to that fire country? Why're you in the darkness region?" - Garami

The two regions are close by, but that doesn't mean it's a quick trip between them both. That this fox has been using a lot of time to study the swamps is another suspicious thing. There's no need for her to do that if her end-game is setting up shop in a different region.

"That's simple~. I found a sweet quest and decided to follow it above my original goals~." - Aino

"...just like that?" - Garami

"Just like that~. The reward even includes a Keystone for a certain Darkness-related element, so there is no reason not to take it." - Aino

"...and said quest is related to the swamps?" - Garami

"Co~rrect~! I would love to talk more about it with you, but before that, I have a proposal." - Aino

"I'm not going up to some alter if that's in your mind." - Garami

In-game marriage is possible after all. There are even some guys who've struck gold with some NPCs or have married to match their real-life status.

"It's nothing like that~. What I want to ask you is this: Garami. Do you want to form a guild with me?" - Aino

"...a guild?" - Garami

Guilds are a thing in this game. You gather some friends, clear a special quest to gain a key item known as "Guild Certification", then register two-or-more players, and voila. You have your guild. It's comparable to "clans" or whatever from other games, I guess. It's not a big secret or anything, as guilds have popped up at a hasty pace after the first event.

And as some added info, the Adventurers' Union is different from a guild. Anyone can use the Union's services while a guild is restricted to a certain group. Well, technically, anyone can join a guild and there are no limitations to how many members can join, but still.

"Yes, a guild~. Specifically, one with Garami as the guild master~." - Aino

"Thanks, but no thanks." - Garami

The guild master is the guy running the whole guild. It's a job that comes with the pain called "lots of social interactions". Even if I'm more durable against that kinda terror due to that we're in a game world and not reality, I've got my limits. 

"Don't be such a killjoy~. Most of the inner workings will be done by me. You just need to act cute..., is maybe not your style, I guess. To say it simply, all you need to do is to attract trouble, and we're golden." - Aino

"Are you trying to be rude?" - Garami

"By good heavens, no. What I am trying to say is that you have a knack for entering "interesting" situations. I figured if you were leading a guild, that would extend to the rest of us." - Aino

"Meaning, me being the guild master would lead to more exciting gameplay? Is that what you think?" - Garami

"That is the gist of it, yes. Besides, you are the owner of your very own Dungeon. Having you as some common member would be like an insult, no?" - Aino

I guess there's that too.

"...is me having a Dungeon related to that quest of yours?" - Garami

"Hmm, you could say so? But only in an indirect manner. What I require is several medical herbs of rare nature. If Garami's Dungeon could assist me in gathering them, then it would save me countless hours of searching in the swamps." - Aino

"If it's swamp-related plants, sorry. None of my subordinates in the Dungeon is even an iota interested in the Swamp Keystone. The idea of giving it a swamp-theme would make them wanna strangle me, I bet." - Garami

"Oh my. Alas, I can see why they have such a reaction. If my idea of you is correct, I believe that your Dungeon is filled with cute ladies like the little maid from before, correct?" - Aino

"Only the servants. The tamed demons being female was just a coincidence." - Garami

"Hm-hm-hm~. As I figured, you have quite the karma to attracting interesting events." - Aino

Don't patronize me. 

"However, what we want to discuss is not about my quest, is it not? Of course, there is no need for you to answer my proposal regarding the guild. Let us work together to liberate the Alberido Alpha Swamp from the Venemy Caterpillars, then we can come back to that talk." - Aino

Working together, huh... It could be beneficial for both of us if she has the info needed to bypass that labyrinth. Not to mention if she knows the weakness of those Venemy-things or where they came from. Still...should I? Hmm...

"One question. What should we do about the rewards?" - Garami

"I would say we split it evenly? And since Garami is the stronger one of us, how about you being the first one to choose?" - Aino

"And if we can't share it?" - Garami

"Then I would gladly pay you with something of equal value~. And of course, the same could be said if Garami wishes for the reward~." - Aino

"...fine. We'll work together. For now." - Garami

"Yes~. Pleased to work with you~." - Aino

The fox lady offered a handshake, which I accepted. Guess we're tag-teaming it now..., how long has it been since I had contact with another player (real-life human) in this manner? Gosh, that's saying a lot about me...*sulk*.

124