Chapter 6. The Merchant and the Innkeeper
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Chapter 6

The Merchant and the Inn Keeper

Oak and his band followed the feather trail which led them to a huge convoy of six caravans equipped with blue canvas and red curtains. The caravans were drawn by horses and carried steel armor, cheese, bread, and barrels of wine.

The complete convoy was led by a merchant, who, mounted on a horse, ensured the smooth running of the trip.

In the rear part of the third caravan was a large chest. It was sealed with a very strong steel padlock.

At the sight of Oak and his band, the merchant motioned for the convoy to stop. The merchant was a seventeen-year-old tree-man with  a long haircut made of reddish leaves mingled with gray hair, and red eyes. 

The merchant saluted them, reins in hand. “ Hi, younglings, you that travel this road, you seem like a group of adventurers looking for glory.” Declared the merchant with a smirk.

Oak took a few steps and stopped in front of the horse.

"It's all true, you're right, we have a taste for the forbidden like you who venture on less frequented roads." Lied Oak.

The shopkeeper gave him a wink. “Ah, I love wandering on paths where no one dares to go ”.

What does he mean by that? It's weird…. We should inspect those caravans…And those feathers…

Oak returned the wink and said in a respectful, calm voice. “We want to travel to Miradia and we need a place to sleep, you would be a huge help if you could transport us to Bouleauville inn.”

The merchant put his hands in front of him, palms open. A big smile appeared on his face. “Climb! I'll take you to the inn, but there's a toll of 10 floraux for each person who enters the carriage”.

The band of soldiers divided into several groups and climbed into the different caravans. Oak and Willow climbed into the third trailer and drew the curtains as Maple and the other soldiers climbed into the others.

Inside, Oak and Willow walked on a carpet made of blue linen and took their places on seats covered in red leather.

On these seats were cushions made of blue goose feathers.

Curtains made of blue linen were nailed to the yellow walls, covering the caravan’s windows and keeping out the sun.

A painting of a golden mole eating an earthworm was plastered on the wall just above these curtains.

Weird, leather seats and goose-down cushions. However, it’s forbidden to hunt animals…. Does he work for Xidor?... Ah, I don't have the energy to find out...

Oak sat down on an armchair next to Willow. "Willow, I'm gonna take a nap to keep an eye on the merchant, he's shady” He leaned his head on the pillows. “Look at those feather pillows…" he said, 

Willow opened a curtain and a window to look at the horizon. "You're right…he's way too kind…” He breathed the fresh air. “Sleep well." 

Everything was calm while the landscape flashed before his eyes. He saw the magnificent Miradian mountains with snow-capped peaks and he thought about the golden moles, how were they doing at this time of the year?

They lived along the great mountain range that stretched from west to east, from Cantabria to Miradia, passing through Cedraria (province from which Oak comes ). These three northern provinces formed the northern region of the Kingdom of Florestia, Florestia had nine provinces in total, three more in the center of the country and three more in the south.

Moles were known to be very lucky, having mastered luck magic. . They adored the arts; the walls of their underground cities were adorned with fabulous portraits and sumptuous paintings.

A small, barely audible bird's cry and the smell of blood pulled Willow from his thoughts.

Help!

Please save me. said the voice weakly.

Oak opened his eyes and jumped up from his seat.

"Willow, can you hear it?"

“Barely… It comes from the back…”

They ran to the back of the trailer, pulled back the red curtains, and saw a copper chest, sealed with a very strong steel padlock.

" Help!"

The living being cried out vehemently for help even though it seemed to hold little strength and be on the verge of death. The two heroes looked at each other and Oak began to chant a few spells, imagining himself burning the chest. "Whispers, burns, destruction, combustion, flamma aeternam."

Flames appeared in the chest lock, burning it from the inside and causing a hissing noise similar to that of a kettle.

It exploded shortly after and the steel cylinder came unstuck, allowing the two heroes to open the chest.

A big cute wren, with brown plumage, sharp talons, and small arms lay in the bottom of the chest, resting on the rough metal. A small red wound littered his abdomen, traces of a knife cut. 

Oak frowned, his face contorted with anger. He said in a snarling tone. "Oh, a little avian, a birdman, do you believe what I believe?"

"Yeah, I believe the same," Willow said, just as snarky.

Avians were a race of intelligent birdlike creatures; there were as many types as there are species of birds. The avian children weighed only around thirty pounds but the adult members could reach a weight of more than one hundred pounds with a phenomenal muscle mass that allowed them to use their imposing wings.

Their suspicions were confirmed. 

The bird started to talk in a singsongy voice. “Thank you for saving me, I am Joye, I was captured by this merchant who wanted to sell me to King Xidor Cèdre”.

He breathed deeply. “ He gave several secret directives to send men to hunt my people. I don't know how, but he guessed all our movements; we were supposed to collect obsidian and gemstones from the dwarven kingdoms; I implore you to save us”

The peacock king, king of all avians regularly sent members of his people abroad to collect obsidian, cement powder, and precious stones. These useful resources were not found on Skyhigh Island.

Willow gently took the little bird in his arms and guided it towards the window opening.

“What a barbarian! I promise to help you. Nevertheless, we must rest at Bouleauville inn “ He ordered him. “Run away.”

“Thank you, If you come to Skyhigh, you’ll be warmly welcomed, we will make you participate in the leaf bag challenge.” replied the bird.

“The leaf bag challenge, what is it? Not an impossible ordeal, I hope…” Willow told him.

The Little avian sat in Willow’s hand, wind brushing his skin. “Oh, a simple tradition to gauge your bravery.” He smiled at him. “I leave you the surprise of discovering it when you come with your friends… But watch out for the Griffon masters, they are sore losers.”

"Isn't it already heroic to save you?" Oak told him.

"Yes, I’ll inform the Peacock King about it but I doubt that you’ll escape the test." crooned the bird.

He sped through the window, toward Skyhigh. Skyhigh was the city of the avians, and stood on a mountainous island, near the Qitarian coast south of the Florestia Kingdom.

Qitaria was where humans dwelt, reduced to a savage state. It was a vast desert region.

It bordered the three southern provinces of Florestia, that is to say, the Pocactus , the Bussionver, and the Cranberry Swamps. 

Oak had a thought at the sight of the bird leaving the north to venture beyond the southern provinces.

Xidor sent men everywhere to hunt animals. I gotta convince them not to listen to him… I have to convince them that animals have rights just like us. But how?... No idea, but they say that night brings advice...

Oak and Willow got up and walked to the front of the carriage where the seats were located.

As he walked, a confident Oak told him "Tomorrow we have to convince this merchant to disown Xidor… Someone else must be waiting for him at the inn.” His rugged voice pierced Willow’s ears. “We must unmask them in order to discover the hunters’ route and to expose Xidor’s treachery to everyone"

"Could it be the innkeeper?” asked Willow. “ He's an old friend of Xidor”

"No idea," Oak replied before sitting down in the seat and starting to take a nap.

The travelers did not reach Bouleauville until nightfall., There was a magnificent inn made entirely of red oak wood which stood out in the small town of stone houses.

The interior of the inn contained an imposing fireplace and consisted of a ground floor and four floors which each contained sixteen rooms.

The sixty-two accomplices, including the merchant, entered the inn, and set foot on the hardwood floor. They were greeted by a couple of dwarven innkeepers standing behind the red oak counter across from the dining room.

There were six imposing tables filled with all kinds of vegetarian dishes which were brought by the waitresses from the kitchen. The smell of garlic sauce and onions emanated from it and stimulated the guests’ appetites. 

The dwarf innkeeper told them in a warm voice “Be welcome, dear Arbolarbres travelers, you should know that my people appreciate you since forever.” His tone grew serious “Make yourself at home, without arguing, of course. We are not in a saloon.”

He showed them the two tables at the back. “You can take tables 5 and 6 which remain vacant.”

Willow, Oak, Maple, and the group made their way to tables five and six as the merchant approached the counter where the dwarf innkeeper was.

The owner waited until he was out of the group’s earshot to talk to the merchant. "Come outside with me to 'check out the merchandise."

The merchant and the innkeeper left the inn through the door as Jonas and Oak looked on.

Weird, he and the merchant are going outside… If I had at least an animal nearby to spy on them. The dwarf’s wife will spot me if I go outside.

He chanted "Animals you are awesome".

No answer… Oak had poorly imagined the firebird. The words of his incantation were drowned in the hubbub of men having cheerful conversations.”

And shit, I must find out, but how?

He sat down empty-handed at his table and ordered vegetarian dishes.

Meanwhile, the merchant and the innkeeper walked on the green grass under a cloudy sky. They were heading towards the rear part of the third caravan.

They entered it, walked on the blue linen carpet, and drew the red curtains.

They came to an open, empty chest.

The dwarf turned to the Arbolarbre and grimaced in displeasure "Where’s the 'package' you promised us?" I don't see it, would you have lied to me, dear merchant? You know our client won't be happy to hear that…”

The merchant looked at the dwarf, lines of fear appeared between his eyebrows. "I didn't lie to you, I swear on the Bonna Lisi of Monte Pico.

The dwarf's jaw clenched and his lips curled back in anger. "Jonas, I don't believe you, where is he?" He yelled. “Where is the offering dedicated to you know who? I hope you had locked the chest.”

“Yes…I think I've locked it,” he replied.

" You think…! I thought that the golden moles had taught you well how to be vigilant and how to guess the birds’ movements… one could even believe that their “secrets” are only spiel”

Jonas was one of the inhabitants of Monte Pico village in Cantabria and belonged to a tribe of Arbolarbres who worshiped golden moles, offering them their magic sap in exchange for being initiated to their secrets. The moles used the sap of Herbacum to cast luck magic and they had developed a great ability to predict good and bad weather and the migrations of birds over time, knowledge that they shared with Jonas.

Jonas was offended by the dwarf's comment and answered him. "Don't insult the moles or it’ll go bad for you"

The dwarf pouted in disgust. “Are you threatening me? What if he finds out you lost the package? »

Jonas stammered. "I didn't lose it. It was there a night ago. I would have eaten it myself, but it was promised, it looked so good, unless…”

"Unless what?"

"Nothing," Jonas lied, not wanting to reveal his thoughts.

The dwarf glared at Jonas… "Tell me before I inform our master of your desire to steal his meal…." He had a sour laugh. “It would probably piss him off, even more, considering that Karel was captured in Skyhigh .. your head would roll. »

Jonas replied. "Oh. Karel has been captured !" I knew it!” He added with sarcasm. “What a disappointment."

“You have one week to find out what happened or find an offering that can replace it. Otherwise, I will tell him how you failed and you will probably be executed like Karel, despite the great friendship that unites us…”

That's it… Deal with it, now that Karel has informed the avians of our plan. Jonas thought.

Jonas and the dwarf returned to the inn where they pondered whether they should question the guests about the mysterious events surrounding the chest’s opening. 

***

Meanwhile, the other guests enjoyed a stew of potatoes, carrots, cabbage, turnips, onions, and beans while drinking beer and cider.

The tangy taste of beer and cider flooded their taste buds as the crispy potatoes and carrots bathed in garlic sauce fell apart at the mere touch of their teeth.

The guests always asked for more without suspecting the problems that awaited them. They were therefore in a state of intoxication when the two plotters entered the inn. The bartender walked behind the counter again, pretending nothing had happened as Jonas went to sit at table 6 near Oak and Willow to strike up a sort of friendship with them.

What does he want from us all of a sudden? Could it be for the bird...

The merchant started a game based on alcohol in order to indirectly confront the two protagonists: "What if we played the dice of truth?".

Ah, he wants to play the dice of truth!... This is a golden opportunity to question him. He can't lie to me...

Oak smiled toothily at the merchant. "Perfect, let's play the dice of truth"

"Perfect" answered Willow before getting up.

The merchant then turned to the dwarf and shouted.

“Keeper, fetch me two dice.”

Willow approached Table 5 and grabbed a chair.

“ Hic, ic, we’re looking for a player for a game of the dice of truth”.

A dozen guests turned to Willow and then chatted in low voices until one of them winked at him. “I'm going to join you, there's nothing less than a good game of dice to brighten up one’s day, that makes me very happy. »

They sat down at table 5 and the keeper came back with two dice which he put on the table. "The game can begin"

“Roll your dice”!

Each player rolled their dice and Willow won the round with a 12.

“Willow is the truth bringer for this round,”

Willow put his hands on the table and looked Jonas straight in the eye. “When you talked about walking on less-traveled paths, what did you mean by that? Remember you’re under oath.

The merchant took on a broken voice. "Ah, I tend to smuggle things."

" Which things?"

“You can’t ask one more question per round, it’s against the rules.” said the dwarf keeper seriously.

Good question Willow… you're putting him under pressure.

Jonas won the second round and asked Willow a question. "What do you think of our dear King Xidor Cèdre?"

Willow stared at Jonas without flinching… "I believe that he’s a just king who knew how to help us during our darkest hours, by punishing the devourers of flesh as stipulated in the legend of the great Xidor Cèdre," he said, not hesitating to lie.

The innkeeper remained calm and acted like nothing was happening even though he was boiling inside. His face remained impassive.

Did he dare lie to my face and belittle my boss even though he was under oath?

The game continued and the merchant won a second time.

He said in a confident voice, his hands waving in the air. "When you sat in the back of my carriage did you find a chest inside it, if so, what did you do with it?"

Willow sneered, mocking him. “Yes, we found it open and empty, it seems you like to carry open and empty things”!"

Jonas swung his fist on the table, making it shake and attracting everyone's gaze. "That's not true, I'm sure you're lying, there was something in it when you boarded my carriage, what did you do with it?"

The third round began and the dwarf tenant won. He decided to trap Jonas to punish him for his incompetence. "Jonas, what was in the trunk?" I'm curious and you're under oath! Don't forget the oath that governs this game."

“ Huh …There was a bird in the trunk”

" A bird?" exclaimed the innkeeper, pretending to be surprised. The innkeeper began to formulate a “Which?” question, but was abruptly interrupted by Jonas: “You have to play by the rules of the game or you'll have to pay a fine of 40 floraux! The game continues!”.

Oak won the fourth round.: "Why were you carrying a bird in your carriage?"

“To heal him,” lied Jonas

" Tell the truth! You’re under oath! Oak said, rising abruptly from his seat to grab Jonas by the back of the neck. He shook him violently for about thirty seconds until he told the truth.

Jonas shivered, sweat rolling down his forehead.

“Okay, I wanted to eat it!”

The sound spread throughout the establishment and the other 60 guests ran to table 5 and began to surround the two individuals. They stared at Oak then Jonas straight in the eye and began to shout, prompted by Maple.

“Kill him, kill him, that filthy carnivore!”.

What to do? They're not entirely wrong in wishing him dead… But I'm not a killer…

He took a deep breath…: I must make a decision quickly, renounce my principles and survive or spare Jonas and risk being killed. I’m gonna do neither. I’m right and they’re wrong. If I save Jonas, he'll come over to my side and I might have the opportunity to ask him about his relationship with Xidor and the dwarf. What if he knows where my parents are ... What if he's one of these guys from Monte Pico?

Oak began his speech, his chest swelling with assurance… “ Arbolarbres! We can't kill one of our fellows even if the law stipulates that carnivorism deserves the death penalty. Killing the killer makes us a killer. It’s not by stooping to the level of King Xidor Cèdre that we will be able to convince his henchmen to abandon him.

He took a deep breath and cried out. “We’ll only push them in the direction of evil because they will see it as their only option. We must imprison Jonas and rehabilitate him as we must do with King Xidor Cèdre and his minions.

“We agree with your point of view, you are right,” exclaimed half of the guards, nodding.

The other half, including Captain Maple, affirmed the opposite. “You have betrayed us, Oak, we will go our own way and punish this Mad King.” Maple bellowed, anger rising in his chest. “ We’ll also punish you for refusing to adhere to the most fundamental codes of our society; a real man doesn’t defend carnivores.”

Maple warned Oak.. . “We’ll l leave tomorrow at dawn.” He admonished him” We’ll meet next time as enemies. Prince Atord will not tolerate your slight.

They went up to bed on the 5th floor, leaving Oak, Willow, their followers as well as the dwarf innkeeper and Jonas alone at their table.

The innkeeper looked at Oak in disbelief. “Wow, but what a speech, you amazed me, I love your vision and I will decide to follow you in your quest to rebuild Arbolarbre society .” He confessed his sins. “I was a secret carnivore myself and a follower of the monarch, but you showed me an alternative path. You can stay in my hostel for free.” 

Jonas was moved by Oak’s gesture. “Thank you for saving my life, I will be eternally grateful to you, I too will give up my carnivorous behavior” He gave a bronze key to the young man. “Know that you can use my carriage for free. It's getting late and we've eaten and drunk well. it's time to go to sleep, see you tomorrow.

" No not right now !" said Oak, banging his fist on the table.

" What !" said the two frightened men.

He snapped. “I saved you Jonas, so tell me your relationship with the dwarf. He was supposed to help you deliver the bird to Xidor?

“Yes, he had to help me… the captured avians must be taken to the various supply points which belong to the Innkeepers loyal to Xidor. “ He took a breath. “ Bouleauville is one.”

“What are the other points?”

Jonas replied, embarrassed. “There is also the Green Pigeon Inn on the road to Xidorville, the Hunter Inn which is further north, and the Montmartre Inn in Saint-Cèdre … and many more. ”

Oak grumbled in rage. " So what… How do we protect the avians if there’re so many inns ?”

“They all converge to a point; the court of King Xidor Cèdre in Xidorville…” His voice quaked. “ And there aren’t many roads leading to it. »

“So we should block off the roads to prevent him from doing harm?” Willow answered, worry lines appearing on his black willow face.

“Yes, we have to block the one where we are, which goes from Oakvalley towards Xidorville as well as the road of the ram which goes from Saint-Cèdre to Xidorville. »

"And how do we know which part of it to block first?" Willow wondered.

Jonas asserted confidently. "We must follow the Xidor’s carrier pigeons, they will show us the caravans’ route."

Oak clenched his jaw and put his hands on the table. “Tomorrow, we will not only block the road, but we will destroy every caravan right after having freed the avians locked in them.

"Yes, chief…" all the others replied.

Willow whispered in Jonas' ear. “Oak believes you but not me, not yet.. …” He told him firmly. "Tomorrow, you’ll have the chance to prove to us that you really gave up on Xidor, don't screw it."

It is on these meaningful words that Oak, Jonas, Willow, and the others went to sleep. 

 

0