Chapter 2: Reach for Calm
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

It was a beautiful morning—the birds were singing. The sky a gorgeous light blue with not a cloud in the sky. A great morning for everyone, but I...

I lost my job this morning to someone more qualified. What did I expect: I was twenty-two, barely graduated high school, and college? Ha!

It was a temp job anyway, but I’d had high hopes that if I continued to please my boss, I could be put on permanent status. Of course, it didn’t work out that way.

Before I go home and tell my partner, I might as well have a drink or two. That way, I could at least be a little more at ease when Blaine freaks.

Vodka on the rocks.” I kept my head low, a bit of shame coursing through me.

Everyone here was working—the bartender, the waitress, the DJ. Why did I have to be unemployed now?

Tough morning?” the bartender asked as he poured my drink.

I couldn’t speak. Could only nod. He didn’t need my whole life’s story. The old men sitting at the edge of the bar could ramble all they wanted about theirs. It just wasn’t in my nature.

Very well. Here you go.” The bartender set down the glass in front of me.

He glanced up a moment, his smile fading, then he stepped back from the bar.

Mind if I sit here?” A voice came from behind.

Whatever,” I said, turning toward the man.

Long, unnaturally white hair wasn’t the first thing to stand out about him. It was his super pale complexion and the silver eyes that had me curious.

He gracefully moved to sit next to me. Such delicacy despite his seemingly normal clothing.

Quietness fell upon us for a moment.

Sorry if I’m being a little brash,” he said. “But you seem like you’re in some trouble.”

It’s really none of your business,” I answered back.

It really wasn’t—not the bartenders, not the other customers, and certainly not this man’s. I’d find another job eventually, but perhaps not one in the same field.

Apologies.” He set his hands on the counter and silence returned again.

All right. You really want to know the deal? I lost my job.” I couldn’t stop my lips from flapping. “And I fucking loved my job, yeah? But nope. Dumb ass boss replaced me with someone with more experience. I’d been there for six months, doing pretty good—I thought—but nope. Guess not.”

Oh? Sorry to hear.” The man raised his brows. “If it helps, you can talk about it.”

I lowered my hands. What the hell was I doing?

No, it’s cool. I-I should probably get home, instead.” I stood quickly. Best I should rant to Blaine about this. At least, he could hug me and tell me everything was going to be alright.

Thank you for listening.”

As I began to leave, he said, “What if I told you that I too am troubled?”

Do you believe—“ He appeared before me so quick, I barely caught him move up from his chair at all.

Whoa!” I jumped back. “How the hell did you do that?”

“—In vampires?”

Excuse me?”

Vampires. What if I said I was searching for one?”

You’re insane. That is what you’re trouble is?”

For the most part, yes. I’m searching for a specific vampire and I need someone like you. Unemployed, a single partner, you... you don’t have children, do you?”

An adopted son.” I almost wanted to smack myself for admitting that.

A grin appeared on his lips for a second. “School aged, yes?”

It’s none of your business.” I straightened my spine, ready to call out for the police if I had to.

It’s no matter. I just need your help. I’m new in this wor—city and haven’t the slightest clue where everything is. Help me find this vampire and your reward will be great.”

Reward?” My fears dissipated. “Money, then? Ah, I could use it for rent.”

I never said anything about such mortal possessions—“ The man cleared his throat. “I mean something much greater than money.”

What could be...” I pondered at that for a moment. “A car? A house?”

Just meet me at this address.” The man thrust out a piece a paper toward me. “This evening around eight. Can you do that?”

I glanced at the paper, debating if I should really take on this man’s proposal or not. If the reward was so great, then it could be anything. But what was better than money, or a new car, or a house?

0