chapter 24.
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The forest was a different part of the whole estate. It almost seemed to represent the neglect the crown prince received from the emperor. All the harsh, bitter, and tangled parts inside this forest was hidden by the glamorous palace buildings and gardens. 

It was a dark place, although she couldn't tell what kind of trees they were, they seemed like dark thorns poking out from the ground. Even the snow seemed unable to pierce into the woods, because of how tangled it was. 

Long led the way, although no one would've believed that this place could have a road, path, or anything, if led along, one could see faint traces of a path. 

Long walked fast yet agilely through the trees. One could easily see that he had had lot's of experience walking through the trees. Busy trying to catch up to Long, she couldn't utter a single word. 

They moved along for what seemed like hours, although she knew how to move like an assassin, her dress and cloak was in tatters. 

Finally, he stopped. To busy trying to keep up with Long that she had missed the upcoming stone platform. 

All she could do was breath out slowly as she saw it. It was more like a broken down pavilion made of stone. There were crumbling arcs and pillars yet everything looked so elegant and mystical.

"Come, I'll show you something"Long said, with his usual arrogant grin.

She followed him in, only to be more amazed by what was in the pavilion. 

It was a giant tree, a giant tree with green leaves and flowers blooming everywhere. 

"How is this.... how is this possible?"She asked with a soft gasp. Long just shrugged.

"I don't know, no body knows, but what we do know is that, this is where Rui's mother was buried.

"They buried an empress in the middle of a creepy forest?" Mei Lan asked, crinkling her nose at the thought of it. Although she wouldn't have been surprised if she was buried like that too.

Suddenly Long's features rearranged themselves, as he sighed.

" As you know, Rui isn't favored, but his mother was even less favored. After she died, the emperor threw a banquet and did not care about the empress's dead body or even her funeral. I guess he's allowed to do that since he is the emperor, anyways, the body was moved by the palace maids who were ordered by some concubines, into this part of the woods. However, magically a tree grew here, in the middle of a dead forest, and never seems to change. It blooms all year long." Long finished cheerfully.

"But that's not why I brought you here today." He said, as he motioned to an empty space in the middle of the tree trunk.

Curiously, Mei Lan walked towards it. To her surprise she found a golden cage. What was even more surprising was that there was a delicate pendant inside the cage. The pendant was made of a dark ocean colored stone and it was carved to look like a man's little brother, although it was probably suppose to look like an eggplant or a banana.

"It's from his mother, he wants to save is for his someone special and then give it to them on their marriage day. Isn't he so cute?" Long said laughing.

Mei Lan didn't answer, instead she watched the pendant, feeling mixed emotions about such a sweet yet different side of him.

Suddenly, Long sat down on the ground, leaning his head against the tree. 

"Rui wei has been betrayed and left alone too much." He said, smirking. "You might expect someone like him to be strong with no flaws, and yes, he is strong and has many excellent points, however if he had a flaw then it would be that. Rui wei is a Loyal, kind, caring, and a soft friend and partner. However he will not tolerate betrayal. That partially the reason why he doesn't talk to people he doesn't know. He makes strong attachments once he gets to know someone..."

What was he trying to tell her? She was surprised at Long for telling her the crown prince's story, and she was surprised to find out something she never knew about his personality from the decades of being married to him. But then again she never noticed anything in her previous life.

Suddenly, Long was standing in front of her, looking down at her with a serious expression.

"I agreed to let you in the group, because I saw you as someone worthy of his loyalty. But now I see that you have feelings for him as well, which will be troubling in the future. I need you to decide what you are going to do. I usually don't care for petty emotions, but Rui'ers crush wasn't invited into the group for a reason. " Long said....

Mei Lan had also realized that she could not always run away crying whenever she felt like it. Her heart had been decieved to think that she was still in love with him. After all she was obsessed over him for a whole lifetime. 

HOwever, as she thought about it more, she realized she was just hurt, it was like muscle memory. She didn't have actual feelings for him. If there were any feelings, it would be of hurt, wariness, or even anger. But there was no love or care. Amazed by her new discovery, she slowly smiled.

Her smile was so dazzling, even Long was lost in it for a second. Only for a second though.

"I'm not in love with a prince, don't worry, I swear to the heavens." She said, brushing her tattered dress down. 

"Besides, this lady only cares for her poor brother who has lost his family and is now living a harsh life." She laughed, brushing Long's arm flirtatiously.

Long looked confused, but he smiled and didn't ask anymore questions. He had gotten her to swear, and that was all he needed. So instead he flirted back.

"I see, how about a funny assassin?"

Laughing Mei Lan pulled Long along to go back. She had rediscovered her heart, maybe, it wouldn't be a bad idea to join her brothers group.

0