CHAPTER 58: Along The Crosswalk
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clara hurriedly went to an area where there stood streetlights to continue what she did, to find the notebook she looked for inside her bag. Now that the streetlight she set foot in was already enough for her to dig inside her bag, she felt relieved when she found her notebook. Clara loves writing so there existed a lot of notebooks inside her bag. She also has a diary, which she didn't bring since she might lose it in case. That one appeared to be the most important of all of her notebooks.

"Phew. That was close. I thought I lost it," she gently smiled in relief after she darted her notebook.

"My schedules and important notes are all in here. But, I'm dead," she gulped, sweating, "I forgot to take note of what boss Filemon announced about the latest menu," she thought, feeling troubled, "But it's fine. I will just ask him tomorrow."

She zipped her bag and proceeded to the crosswalk, where she stood beside the pedestrian lane. It was not yet a green light for pedestrians so she waited for about ten seconds, according to the countdown, to cross the lane.

Upon waiting, she looked everywhere to see if there were other people who would also cross the lane, but then she realized it was just her. Nothing concerning so she then glanced at her wristwatch to check the time. It's already 10:09 in the evening. Although her next part-time job will be starting at 10:15 pm, she realized she still had plenty of time to walk toward her workplace since she was almost there. However, right across the road, at the end of the pedestrian lane, she glimpsed a familiar friend of hers, walking around and seemed like searching for something.

"Zeus?" She recognized him.

After the countdown had ended, while the pedestrian light had turned green, she then hurriedly crossed the lane, waving excitedly at Zeus while yelling to get his attention, "Zeus!"

Zeus seemed so busy with something that he didn't react right away. He's all focused on walking back and forth. It seemed like he had no idea where he was going as well. So Clara, on her behalf, wondered why Zeus looked so furious.

"What's up with him? He didn't hear me?" Clara paused. 

It was the first time she had seen Zeus go out at night. She became worried now that he went out in public when he was supposed to be in his house, resting, after being discharged from the hospital. He might be in danger again, especially since many dangerous people were out free at night. 

Not to mention that his stab wound had not yet healed. If he had to deal with dangerous people, as Clara underwent earlier with some high schoolers, Zeus would suffer even more profound scars if they were to act too brutal toward him. Not just that, but there were few people nearby, so if Zeus ran away while crying for aid, bleeding out after being stabbed, there would be no one to help him. That would be terrible.

That's it. Clara made up her mind. She became more worried. So then, she came after him.

"Hey, Zeus!" Clara tapped Zeus's back, grinning. Luckily, Zeus looked back and recognized her right away. "Why are you here? It's late now. You should go home," she continued, smiling still although she's so tense deep inside. "What's wrong? You look like you're looking for something."

"I'm looking for Travis. Do you know where he is?" he asked right away. Although he was supposed to be enraged right now, he forced a huge smile so that it won't be too obvious to Clara that he was mad about something.

Lately, in the Curaraton's household, after Zeus discovered that Sir Travis was the one who sent the 203 billion amount of money to his mother's bank account, he dashed out to their house to hunt for Mr. Travis. He couldn't bear another responsibility now that he knew a billion dollars had been put into his mother's account. 

Zeus assumed that obtaining it would imply another obligation for him and his mother. They weren't asking for any money so how come they just received that large amount? That could only mean one thing. Sir Travis wanted to play their emotion, Zeus reasoned. He assumed that Mr. Travis gave them the money so that they would refund him the exact amount once they used it.

Instead of finding Travis, Zeus let his outrage govern him and so let his feet do the work without thinking where he would go. As a result, he got confused on his way and now he came here out of nowhere. But putting that aside, he was still mad. 

"Hmm. Now that I think about it, I don't know Sir Mortal very well," Clara calmly replied, "I don't know his address, I'm sorry. But why though? Is there something you want from him?"

"No. I just want to know where he is." Zeus sighed and felt like he was exhausted from going in circles since earlier. He didn't feel like saying to Clara what he was up to, so he changed the topic. "How about you? Why are you still outside?"

When he glimpsed Clara and examined her face, he noticed her hair was a bit messy at the end of it. So he had the idea of fixing it by gently brushing her hair a little with his fingers. Clara reacted when Zeus touched her hair and she looked at him so confused. But after she knew what his intention was, she smiled as a gesture of thanking him. Zeus then smiled back gesturing it was no problem.

"I still have my last part-time job. Jeez. You forgot already?" Clara responded to his question.

"Oh, yeah. I remember. You have three part-time jobs," he scratched the back of his head, implying that he got awkward about forgetting that Clara had jobs even at night until dawn. "What time will you be off?" he continued.

"Usually at 2:15 a.m. but if my co-worker needs a hand, that might take longer for sure, then maybe at 2:30 or so," she answered, "How about you? You're supposed to be resting at your home. And now you're here."

Zeus sighed and thought, "Well, if only I could tell you what happened..." and he slightly smiled at her. Clara noticed that but she had no idea what he was thinking.

It seemed like Zeus couldn't tell Clara what just happened. "Mr. Travis gave us money worth 203 billion dollars," if Zeus were to tell Clara that, there's a chance she wouldn't believe it, and even if she did, she would probably faint on this subdued street simply to how unreal the massive quantity of money is.

Yes, that could happen. So instead of reasoning it out, he must find a way to get out of that question of hers. Now that he thought about it. Clara's duty schedule was kind of unusual. She's still young and yet she's working really hard to earn money. And to think that she will be off at almost 2:30 in the morning, that's nearly dawn time. Not only that but the school hours as well. What could be the right time for her to get some rest? She works too hard. Well, he couldn't blame anyone though. The school chose this fate for them because of this greedy CEO that governed their school, and they just had no choice but to get along with it.

Zeus then evaluated what he should do now that his friend obviously needed actual assistance. 

He then thought about the money that had just been transferred to his mother's bank account. What if he asked his mother about lending at least some of the money to Clara? Since 203 billion is already a huge sum for them. He would explain everything to his mother first, and then ask for the money right after. 

Is that going to work? 

Knowing Clara, she might probably feel bad about receiving the money for free and would still work her tail off to repay him. The money will be meaningless then since Clara will undoubtedly labor nonstop to reimburse them. Now, what should be the right thing to do?

"Okay. It's still 10," said Zeus. He stopped overthinking everything and just went to the flow, "I will find Travis and then I will come to your workplace to take you home."

For him, that might be a good thing as of now. At least he thought about something very reasonable, especially if her off time will be at the midnight. Pretty sure there could be dangerous people strolling around just by knowing this place and that time.

"No, no. It's fine," Clara politely declined, "Besides it's too late. For sure, your mother is worried sick now. And you shouldn't worry about me, okay? The store I'm working at is just near our home. But thank you still, Zeus," she continued, smiling.

That was quite a heartwarming invitation for a gentleman like him. But she had to reject his offer since she didn't want someone worrying about her or doing something for her when she had no clue what she could do for them in return. She was always under the impression that anytime someone performed anything good for her, she owed it to them. After all, all she wanted was for them to take care of themselves, so she assumed they should cease worrying about her.

Clara was certain that she felt protected when she was around her friends. They're quite protective of her, so she wanted to protect them as well. Moreover, they are a family, thus it is natural for them to defend one another.

"Oh, is that so?" Zeus replied. 

"I didn't expect her answer," he deeply thought, "But I guess she is simply bashful or feels bad since I may appear to be pampering her too much, that's why she declined. Or maybe she's hiding something and doesn't want people to find out. Well, better let her be for a while. Hang in there, Clara. We will save you."

"By the way, about finding Sir Mortal," Clara stated, "Did you go to the school? Maybe he's still there. Well, that's just my hunch. There's really no need to go there if it bothers a lot. And it's pretty late now."

Zeus then paused and thought that was a good idea since he hadn't gone to school to check for Sir Mortal yet. "Nice idea. I haven't hunted him in school yet."

Clara then felt relieved after Zeus considered her random suggestion. "But you should take care on your way home, 'kay? Don't forget to take your medicine as well, alright? You're still not in a good shape yet you are here, trying to find Sir Mortal."

"Yeah. Thanks for telling," Zeus responded. "You should get home safe too. It's alright to skip school tomorrow, no need to be afraid of Kenneth," he rolled his eyes and smirked, "If you feel tired, you're free to rest the whole day tomorrow. No need to press yourself harder."

"Yes!" Clara returned, smiling. "Thank you so much, Zeus!"

Upon realizing what time was it, Clara started to step on her way to her workplace, "By the way, I'll be going now. My shift starts at 10:15," she waved goodbye at him, "Bye, bye!"

Zeus returned a wave at her as well. "Bye!"

And so, the two parted ways. Clara hurriedly rushed to the convenience store where she was about to work her last part-time job for the day. Luckily, her workplace was just so near along the crosswalk that she had to move there without sweating. 

After Clara vanished from the sights of Zeus, he then remembered his wrath against Sir Mortal and the money that he had sent to the bank account of his mother. So Zeus furiously stomped his way along the crosswalk to have his way to the school. If ever he would not find Sir Mortal, then he had no choice but to give up for today. He resolved to face Sir Travis the next day then if that's the case.

0