CHAPTER 61: Dwelling The Placid
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Travis' lovely grin appeared to vanish as soon as he turned his head slightly at Zeus. Despite his deep distress about his student's present state, as though he was about to lose someone precious to him, Travis remained alert and kept a straight face. Rather than panicking and doing nothing, Travis collectedly stepped outside and hurriedly circled around the car to open his student's front door, gently retrieving him out from the car to avoid heavy breathing.

"Calm down, dear," Travis benevolently embraced his unnerved student while softly stroking his back.

Travis had expected this would happen, which made him feel a little bad for what he had done to Zeus. He wanted the two of them to dwell in this placid as he intended about seeing Zeus for what he had become, whether he had grown mature and able to handle his impulses or he was still a teenager who couldn't control his emotions. This visit planned by Travis was all part of Zeus's upbringing.

"Sigh. Dear Zeus, I believe you are still a kid who struggles to accept what happened in the past," thought Travis. "What happened in the past already happened. Focus on what's ahead and keep resisting. Don't let your emotions reside on your whole body, or you might find it even harder to endure and move on."

After squeezing him for roughly a minute since he had ceased quivering, Travis knew that Zeus had calmed down. Despite the fact that he could feel his student's strength dwindling, he could tell that this boy fought those thoughts. Zeus may have beaten his teacher up if he hadn't been able to control his temper. And that's when Travis realized that this student of his had passed the first test.

Sitting on the ground and head facing down, Zeus clenched his fist and gasped continuously while voicing out the words, "Why did you have to stop here? Of all the places to visit... why do we have to be in here?!"

Slightly smiled, deeply observing his student, Travis could feel the pain behind those words Zeus had blurted out. To think that a kid like him had gone through such despair at such a young age was always never been an exemplary matter. Rescuing youths like Zeus was consistently the job of Travis. Knowing that a lot of teenagers had sorrowed so much... What may happen to them if they grow up thinking about dying and thinking they're miserable human beings?

Standing up, Travis went back to his car and opened the rear door to get the flower he put aside in the back seat earlier. Since he expected that Zeus would scream a cry later after the second test, he grabbed the water tumbler placed in the bottle holder which was next to the handbrake just in case Zeus might need this. 

As for Zeus who's been on the ground for a long time, thinking deeply in thought, he brooded, "What's wrong with me? I presumed... I presumed I'm already alright. I thought I'd moved on. So what's this feeling?! Why is my chest aching so bad? Why?! Just why?!"

The place they had gone to was a cemetery site where Zeus's father had been entombed. Noe Kailani Memorial Park. Ever since his father died, he never visited even once in this place, whether it could be a death anniversary or birthday salutation. Zeus doesn't even know where his father's tomb was located. Simply to get over how he felt, he tried to do everything, even looting those who defrauded his father, just to take revenge at least. But without enough progress in his case, there was still a space in his heart where he felt remorseful and unable to control. He never left a message for his father. That's how he regretted and blamed himself for it. 

Before Travis proceeded back to Zeus, he took a deep breath first as he gripped the flower and tumbler tightly. The moment he stepped forward to him, he still found Zeus facing down the ground, deeply thinking while sitting like a drunk passerby. 

Advancing ahead and coming to a halt in the facade of Zeus, Travis spoke, "Follow me."

Travis walked ahead before his student since he was still on the ground, wiping away his tears with his bare hands as he braced himself if he could possibly make it if he would come. Zeus had the thought that they'd visit his father's tomb just by noticing Travis's attire and the flowers in his hand, therefore he's debating whether or not he should go.

"What can I do now that we've arrived?" Zeus thought, standing up, groping roughly the dirt on his pants, "And... I have no idea how to go home since my mind was too preoccupied earlier, as a result, I wasn't able to focus on the roadways, so... shit I'm totally left with no choice."

And with that, Zeus put his hands in his pockets and followed Travis, although he was already a bit far away. "Dammit. Now I have to follow him. This won't happen if only I didn't get into his goddamn car. Tsk. Maybe it's my fault for being tempted? Wait. Is this all part of his plan? He had those flowers in his hand and his get-to-go outfit way before I even showed up at the school. Did he predict this would happen? God! Who is this guy?!"

"Mind your step, dear. There might be tiny, sharp stones around," Travis's voice could still be heard from a pretty far distance away from Zeus, albeit rather said it low and almost quiet.

"Tsk," Zeus glared at him. "Acting like he cares, huh. The heck is wrong with him?"

Upon strolling lightly, Zeus thought that he may hate Travis as of now but he affirmed the fact that when they were debating in the class days ago about whether they should accept Travis as their teacher or not, he was part of those students who agreed with Travis being their instructor. He's just so confused right now that he grew indecisive and uncertain to the extent that he despised his teacher.

Walking on the road verge of the place, Zeus looked above the sky and could see the glowing moon hitting his face. The atmosphere was so beautiful that he didn't notice the cold breeze from earlier. It made his mind at peace even if it was in this place, so asleep, serene, and cool. 

"Now that I think about it..." Zeus thought, glancing deeply at Travis's back, walking collectedly, "Everything's so natural and too good to be true ever since this guy showed up. Where did he come from? Is he doing this all by himself, by his own will? Or is he doing this because he was told to? Or is there something he's hiding from us? Ahh, man! I'm overthinking again. I should just mind my own business."

And so, Zeus took a deep breath and began to speed up to catch up to Travis. When he was already beside his teacher, Zeus pondered as he saw Travis beaming softly, "Why is he always smiling? It's like he's a clown or something."

They strolled together, with a quiet environment in the background. No one dared to speak, and no one ventured to make a single sound other than their walking. Because it was a cemetery they were stepping their feet in, Zeus chose not to blurt a single word at all to pay respect to the dead. Travis, on the other hand, just desired Zeus to learn some deeds and be a decent man without being told. He was then impressed at how the both of them sauntered together without producing any noise. 

When the two found the tombstone of Francisco Dimitri, Zeus's father, Travis bowed with all his heart and closed his eyes to give regard to the deceased father of his student. With the flowers in Travis's hand, he placed them gently in front of the tombstone after seconds of bowing. The last thing Travis did was put his left hand at his back, stand properly with his feet glued to each other, and right hand straight saluting while earnestly abiding a glimpse at the tombstone. Although there appeared to be moonlight as their source of light, the two could clearly see the reflecting name of the headstone monument.

Zeus had no clue his father's tombstone was in this position. Now that the memories had resurfaced in his head, he was left appalled, with the eyes of an eagle that appeared dispassionate and fierce. He couldn't shriek, speak, or react. He's simply completely taken aback as he could feel his body depleting with energy. 

"I once had a client..." Travis spoke, still in his saluting position, "and years ago, he indeed earned his place in the sun."

Zeus couldn't speak nor process what his teacher had said. All he knew was that his father was designated in this lonely place. All he could think was that he wanted his father to come back. Ice cream, which he always asked for when he was still young, his father would give it right away without hesitating. The gold belt he won from his last match, he wasn't able to give to his father after knowing his illness. The favorite boxing gloves which his father gifted to him, it's still kept in a tiny box. All of the random things his father had done to him recollected bit by bit in his mind that he wanted to scream a cry. But he couldn't do it.

"Before your father's illness worsened, he called one of my friends. Well, I have many connections, so it's fortunate he called my friend's insurance company," Travis continued. "He told my friend to not say a word about this to you, as well as to your mother so my friend and I decided we should respect that since your father's our client."

Still quiet, as if dismayed, Zeus balled a fist. Travis saw his student almost couldn't take it. But instead of stopping and calming him down, he went back to his business and determined to continue. Travis reached into his suit for a little envelope and handed it to Zeus. "Here."

Noticing the presented envelope, Zeus slowly clasped it with his eyes confused, pondering what could be this envelope about and what was inside of it. 

"That is worth 50 million in cash," resumed Travis, putting down his hand, his poise being ordinary again, "Your father made that much in such a short period of time. He's truly a legend. That's why I'm his fan."

Upon hearing the words, Zeus immediately opened the envelope and there he found, the cheque in the amount of 50 million USD from Divine Insurance Company. When Zeus' father knew that he had terrible terminal cancer, he began saving more money as he knew he would die sooner, and the money he stored up will be handed to his family in two years. The money was all reaching from his sideline business job, which is entrepreneur, and the gym he owned after he retired from boxing.

"T-Then... how 'bout that 203 billion?" Zeus questioned, quavering.

Chuckling softly, Travis replied, "It's my way of thanking your mother for taking this far, dear."

"What do you mean?"

"Your father contacted me once. I was amazed by the way he talked to me. The way he spoke, it seems like he knew me already. And your mother, she's an awesome person. Despite the negativities, the burdens, the challenges she had encountered, she stayed strong just for you."

After realizing what he had spoken, Travis had a brief flashback to his past. Sometimes, it's those good people that suffer the most. Well, not exactly all but those who turned their lives missing from goodness also endured what they encountered in their past. We are all born good on this earth, but society, the trash society can never bring us any good. That's why people are not always easy to understand. They are hard to determine and analyze.

Now that Zeus discerned that there was an only pure purpose behind Travis' actions, Zeus felt regretful for all he had done to his teacher. Gripping tightly the envelope in his hand, he questioned, voice trembling, "Why? Why do you have to do this?" 

Travis gently patted Zeus' back and looked at him, grinning. "Because that's my job, love. It is my responsibility to act as your second parent."

"So you're not lending money to us because you have other intentions?" with concerned eyes, Zeus met his gaze with his class teacher. The sincerity in his teacher's eyes. They were a little bit tired but appeared to be pleased. Calm, but enraged. Solemn, but frivolous. Zeus was convinced, yet confused. This teacher had been through far worse than they had. He had no idea what he might be thinking now.

Crossing arms, Travis shrugged. "Would you believe me if I say I don't have any other intentions?"

"But that money is too much," Zeus turned his head and faced the ground, thinking deeply, "It's way too unreal. Where did you get that much money?"

"Well, it's a secret for now," Travis glanced again at the tombstone. "Your father was a great man though, and he really loved boxing. So I hope you should also treasure what you desire."

With those last words Travis made, Zeus couldn't help but scream a cry upon looking at his father's tomb. Zeus remembered again the time when his father was still alive. Their bond as father and son, he could never forget that, ever. It's even useless for him to have himself move on from what happened. Not a single second he would think about getting into an accident and hoping to develop amnesia in order to forget his father. But he didn't since his father is far too important to him. But he just chose not to, because his father's way too important to him. And he also knew that if ever he had amnesia, there was an immense possible chance he would remember his father again. 

That was the second test Travis planned beforehand. This second exam will persuade him that his student is maturing into a strong individual. At the very least, Zeus' current feelings will get stronger sooner or later. Eventually, this individual will be self-sufficient and able to grin freely again. Zeus' cry will serve as a method for him to fight for his life. To fortify oneself against what could happen in the future. To be able to fight and be ready. That's how you fortify yourself. Cry and cry until you're fine. To not cry only meant you're trying to suffocate yourself.

0