Chapter Five
190 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

The bells rang, and the mass of people filled the streets, the moment he strode past the meandering pathways on the saddle. The city was one giant heart, the veins its streets and the people its blood…or so was what he had once read in a guide about this place. Good thing he had tied Black Rose to nearby stables. The caretaker knew him very well and exercised brilliant care for his mare for a modest fee. 

She raised her head multiple times, amazed every time a vendor’s cry echoed in the air or the baker raised his bread, sending away a whiff of fresh scent to lure famished customers. 

He paid no attention to any of them, knowing he didn’t have a single coin currently. Nobody would care for the items he had, or about the fact that they were worth a lot. He would head right to the guild…but before that, he had a critical objective to take care of. 

The moment he neared that tower that shot straight from the ground, he breathed deeply. Hopefully, if his luck hadn’t run dry, he would still find sweet old Mary there, tending to her duties. 

“I am hungry!” the girl raised her head, her grey eyes yearning for the fresh piece of bread she had glanced at in the marketplace. He looked deeper into her eyes. She had all but forgotten it…the massacre one day before. 

“Where we are going, there shall be plenty of delicious food…” he forced himself to lie about the delicious part. But then, all she would have needed was a warm bowl of porridge and milk. 

His eyes steered in the direction of that ancient structure, harbouring spires and monastic quarters along with the chambers for the orphans. Within his mind, he could further trace three courtyards and a small farm in there, along with the lodgings for the sisters.  It had been set afar from the populace. 

The horse finally stopped before the monastery. He unmounted, helping her get off the horse, his calloused fingers clinging to her hands. His mind rattled with a thousand different memories, some blooming a smile on his face while the others making him shake his head. Somewhere, he could trace a sharp black-eyed boy, standing at the corner of the street and contemplating how he would one day become a knight. Things had changed…not sure for the good or worse but they had changed. 

He neared that wooden door, preparing himself to convince. He knew it would require strong vernacular skills to persuade someone. Not that he had much skill in that domain. Still…worth a try?

On third knock, the door blasted open. The little girl clung to his legs, fearful of what might spring out of there. To her relief, it was an old woman, enveloped in a merino cloak. Wrinkles had shrouded her once stout face. She almost reminded the girl of an old kind nanny, had her cheeks not been red with ire. 

“Damn you, Neyru! What new trickery have you brought to this door now?” she yelled, as he responded with a mild laughter, connecting with her in a warm embrace. She heartily extended her arms, ending the reunion with a slap on his face. 

“Oh, come on! What did I do?” he mumbled. She heard it, grabbing his arm tightly. 

“You left your ominous equipment in the lab, galls of those barbed hounds and whatnot. The alchemist was at it again…and she wasn’t exactly wrong. He even said your presence was an affront to the entire monastery. I don’t agree of course but come on. Be a grown man and stop teasing him like that. You do need his lab after all!” the old woman patted his back, this time much gentler than before. The moment she turned her gaze towards the nervous little kid all caked in mud and dirt, she froze for a moment or two. Blinking her eyes harder, to see if the sight changed, she wondered if he indeed had brought a child with him. 

“Whose kid have you brought to us Neyru?” she bent her knees, extending her hands to the little girl. He patted her back, telling her it was alright. She disconnected from his legs, walking towards the kind old lady who stroked her head, worried about her. The girl was cold, shivering. Her legs had been trembling for a while, her eyes having dark circles around. 

“Nanny Grey, she…was a victim of a bandit attack. I shall explain everything later. For now, I must make haste and meet Master Jeova at once. I hope he isn’t absent! It is very important” he expressed the urgency of the matter, worrying her some more. She took a deep breath, standing up while holding the hand of that girl. The old woman’s eyes gleamed with comprehension of the bandit attack. She looked at him as he nodded his head. 

“Nanny Grey will give you food and a warm bed. Go with her!” he coaxed her. The mention of food was all that the girl needed, clinging to the old lady’s hand the next moment. 

“Neyru, Jeova is gone for an important court matter. He will not be back before the evening. Come inside and rest. You look like you have seen a ghost too” 

He nodded his head in agreement. Sleeping without a proper bath and food in the local inns meant unrest. Besides, he could use a warm bed…and some coin for the rare trophies he had been carrying on Black Rose.

 

0