Ch.3 – Grey like pipe smoke
672 14 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Stavic had called to stop the wagon, the old priest Doxan, had been in his own little world of grumbles and complaints as he was navigating the worn track. Trying not to have the horses pull them into a rut. That would most likely destroy one or more of the wagon’s wheels. So, he had been more than happy to swap with the mercenary. The man was much better with the horses than he was.  

 

He halted the wagon as soon as he could, moving them to a flat area to the side of the track. Then dismounted himself from the driver's seat down to the ground. 

 

Doxan groans as he stretches his muscles, and listens to the pops from his old joints. Enjoying having his feet back on solid ground again. As he was getting a good crack from his spine, Stavic had moved away from wagon. Gesturing for Doxan to follow him with what looks to be an urgent expression on his face.  

 

When they had moved far enough away from the wagon, Doxan asked the nervous looking Stavic, “What is it? Did she try to attack you?” 
 
Stavic shakes his head, “No its... something else. You said she was a Demon-kin? I’ve not seen one with horns like that before. And... okay my gut keeps screaming at me that she’s dangerous. When she was asleep, I got nothing, but the moment she started moving, all I got was ‘no sudden moves, try not to make her look at me too much, be a mouse’.” the mercenary shakes his head, rubbing his forearms like he had a chill. 

 

Stavic then says softly, “She’s got me reacting like I’d run into an Ogre, or one of those damn undead shamblers. I haven’t felt like that since we were moving through the southern border of Kakesh a few years back.”  
 
Doxan nods as he looks back at the wagon, “Yes. She would. Someone with her skills and abilities, will probably set off the alarms of anyone with danger sense abilities.” he then smiles to Stavic again. “Although, so does Milly. I have a good feeling about her. I don’t think we will have to worry about her attacking us. As long as we treat her with kindness, she should do the same with us.”  

 

His thoughts go to the scan he did of the young woman they found on the road a half day ago. Her titles alone would have worried him. Except when he saw the blessings, he almost had a conniption. Usually, they are from the greater elementals, or the powerful entities like the Greater Dragons.  

 

Seeing that she was blessed by a Goddess.  

 

A Goddess with a name. 

 

It was like his very core was shaken. There have been debates in the theological halls in the Great Cathedral. Debates centred around whether the world was watched over by a male or female god. Mostly to pass the time, even though the younger theologists did get quite heated over the debates. The elders like himself and others see it as a rather enjoyable way to pass cold winters.  

 

He sighs softly, and hopes he and the young woman can stay on cordial terms. Even just so that he can speak to her about the Goddess, to ask the important questions. About the tenets she would want the church to follow. Maybe what the Goddess’s favourite colour was. Did she like sweets? 

 

Doxan comes back to the present, returning from his thoughts. He feels Stavic’s eyes watching him, as the mercenary speaks, “You back with me, Doxan? Whatever you’re thinking about is either deep, or interesting. Tell me. I saw you scan her. Is there anything you can tell me about her?” 
 
Doxan nods, “She’s alone. She’s not from around here. She’s likely to need my, and by extension, your help.” he ticks off these points on his fingers, and gets to the fourth, “She’s older than you. She’s also got the Destroyer class available to her. As well as the Priestess class.” 
 
Stavic had a smirk on his face as Doxan had started his little list, but at the end his face was pale and his jaw was slack, “How in the world do you get BOTH those classes?! I thought they were mutually exclusive! Even Milly hasn’t gotten Destroyer! And she pulled down a damn castle wall!” he doesn’t raise his voice, as not to startle the wagon’s occupant, but his voice is certainly close to reaching their unexpected passenger's ears.  
 
Doxan nods, “Yes. We all thought so too. But possibly there is a way for it to happen. It could be she has more strength than even Milly. It would explain why your danger sense is telling you to not move quickly around her. If she struck out at you in what she thought was self-defence, you might not get out of it with only a few bruises.” 
 
Stavic pales even further at that implication, “I will keep that in mind. Thank you.” 
 
Doxan laughs softly at his young friend, and pats him on the back, before starting to move towards the wagon, “I’ll go speak to our new traveling companion. If you wouldn’t mind getting some water for the horses?” 

 

Stavic sighs and nods, “Sure, we might even want to stop for the day.” he looks up at the sky, and rubs his nose, “I smell rain. So, we probably want to get a tent up, she’ll want her own space I am betting.” 

 

Doxan nods in agreement, as he looks up at the sky. Not seeing any clouds, himself. Even so, the time he has spent with his traveling companion has been long enough to give the mercenary the benefit of the doubt. “Very well. Break out the owlbear meat as well. I think that should be used be used before it turns sour.” 
 
Stavic gives a simple thumbs up in response to Doxan, before moving on to his tasks.  
 

Doxan takes a deep breath before pulling himself up onto the back of the wagon, looking in at their passenger, to see how she is reacting to his presence. Only to find the woman, curled into a ball, looking as vulnerable as anyone can be. 
 
He notes how inwardly focused she has become, so much so that she doesn’t react to his presence, nor the movement of the wagon as he completes his entrance into it. He slowly moves like he was approaching an injured rabbit. Moving with slow deliberate movements, as not to startle the woman, not knowing how she will react to his presence near her.  
 
When he is finally close enough, he waits for a little longer before reaching a hand out. His hand glowing softly as he casts a low tier healing light spell. Hoping to use the healing spell to both let her know he was not trying to harm her, and to gently get her attention. 

 

Her reaction was almost instantaneous as her green eyes came out from behind her hands, bewilderment writ large on her expressive face. He knew then, he needed to speak, and keeping his voice calm and low, “I don’t know what happened. But if you need more time, that luckily is something we have plenty of now.” 

 

He sits back as he watches her reaction, seeing the amazement in her eyes. To him it seemed was like it was the first time she had seen a Dwarf, or magic. Her green eyes looking at him as he notes their reddened state from the crying she had been doing. The old dwarven priest speaks again, “My name is Doxan. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” 
 

The woman opens her mouth and then closes it, “I … I don’t.” her reluctance writ large on her face as she tries to think of a name to give Doxan, and also at the same time to think of an explanation as to why she’d just been found crying her eyes out. 
 
Doxan smiles to the young woman struggling to find her words, “Sorry I had to check you when we found you earlier, I saw your name is Iris. Can I call you that?”  
 
Iris startles at the name, and she nods, “That’s fine. I mean it is my name.” she feels relief flush through her, and a little annoyance. She should have sorted that out before she was sent here. Or, did she, and she’s forgotten some details? “It’s nice to meet you. Sorry for falling to pieces there. Just been having a time of things lately.” 
 
Doxan nods along with the suddenly chatty woman “I am sure you have, Iris. Your titles and blessings. Are quite... Unique. Let’s go with unique.” he nods again, watching Iris seem to go through several stages of thought and inaction. 
 
Iris’s expressions shift through several emotions, starting with shocked. Then quickly moving to scared, then angry, and then finally stopping at wary. Her eyes on the Dwarf in front of her as she asks “How much of my details did you see?” afraid that she may have to fight for her safety if he has seen her race and is possibly wanting to harm her. On the other hand, she doesn’t know what he intends. 

 

Doxan smiles gently as he expected most of those reactions, “Probably more than you wish. You are the first Oni I have ever met. I was not expecting a pretty young lass like yourself, to be a monster out of the legends of our world.” he nods as his hand comes up to start stroking his beard before he continues, “There have been many debates about your people. The church’s stance on this matter is neutrality. I mean. The historical records speak for themselves. There was an obvious purge of a certain faction of the Oni in their territory, before the Oni forces struck out at the surrounding nations.” he shrugs, “There are records of Oni being friendly if wary creatures. Much like any race, there will be the peace seekers, and the warmongers.” he had let his eyes wander as he spoke to Iris, looking over at the canvas cover of the wagon, like he was using it as a viewing screen of some epic painted upon it. 
 
Iris's caution had begun to wane, as she listened to Doxan ramble on the subject of her race. Sitting in a more relaxed position, as she watches his face before asking, “So, how do you know I’m not of the warmongers faction?” 
 
Doxan hems softly, seeming to take that question, and mull it over like a good wine. “Well, it could be that you have the Blessing of not one, but two gods. That also seem benevolent to you. Which by the way, would get you instantly canonized as a Saint if you were so inclined. You also have a blessing of the queen of the Fae. Something that may go down in history if I didn’t know there was at least two other such blessings prior to yourself. Two in the last thousand years by the way.”  
 
Iris is starting to feel like a child in front of this aged old dwarf, as he starts to calmly explain why he doesn’t fear her. Her head shaking side to side quickly as she refused instinctually at the idea of being called a saint. 
 
The old dwarf smiles then plows on, “Then there is the fact, that at your level, you have access to the Priestess class. It is rare for anyone with a penchant for unrestrained violence to have that class accessible to take. The last is that you have some very interesting titles, one being reincarnated. The other being Messenger of the gods. Now I will admit that I cannot see what the explanations on those blessing and titles are. But I have both never heard of, nor seen those titles ever before. They do not seem like titles that would be given to someone about to cause harm to those that are trying to help them.” he nods and brings his old eyes back to Iris’s and smiles, “Am I wrong?” 
 
“Damn, is one of your classes Detective or something?” Iris then sighs, which is quickly followed by a laugh. Speaking while rubbing at her face to dry the tears that are still wetting her skin, “You got me. Nope, not here to cause havoc. I’m just here to explore and have fun. Not trying to take over any kingdoms, or start any wars.” then she looks at Doxan, “So, um... I wasn’t really expecting to run into anyone. I mean... I wasn’t prepared to run into anyone yet.” 
 
Doxan lets out a soft ‘ah’ and nods in understanding, “Then it is probably fortuitous that we met you first. Possibly even a little divine intervention, I might say?” he grins as a finger points up at the roof of the wagon, “I think our Goddess wanted us to meet. As you might have heard from the scoundrel that was with you when you awoke,” he coughs, “His name is Stavic for your information, knowing him he probably forgot to tell you that.”  

 

Doxan nods, “Back to me. I am a priest of the Central Church. I'm being stationed at the town north of us. Dungeon town.. Yes, it’s a town called Dungeon. Please laugh, as I did when I heard about it. I mean really? It’s like calling a town on a beach, Beach Town.” he shakes his head, “I really must investigate into the origins of that.” he mutters and then Ahem's to himself.  
 
Iris can’t help the soft giggles that slip through at Doxan’s quite obvious ‘bumbling professor’ routine. A smile spreading across her face, lightening the very surroundings with its presence. 

 

Which in turn causes Doxan to smile pleasantly, “If you would like, you are more than welcome to accompany us to the town, I would like to help you in any way I can. I am sure you have questions yourself. Though I must ask, and you have no obligation to answer me, but I would like to know what the Reincarnated title is for? I understand the word, and what its meaning is, but that is probably only part of this puzzle.” 

 

Iris’s smile slips as she contemplates the answer, “Well since you know and understand that Gods are real. I guess it’s not too hard to answer, but...” she bites her lip as her anxiety rises. Trying to chart a course through the swirling turmoil that this question brings to the surface. After a small moment of contemplation, she simply decides just to go straight. Then see where the chips fall.  

 

“I’m from another world.” she shrugs and puts on a strained smile, “The Goddess granted me a life reborn in a world she controlled. She and I went over the general details of my rebirth, but... I think I’ve forgotten some of them. Like I forgot my name. I’ve forgotten my name from before I died. There are some other blanks. I’m worried that I’ve either forgotten, or the Goddess removed them from me purposefully. If the Goddess, did it, I probably asked for it, which is great and all.” she shrugs her shoulders and the strain in the smile starts sliding away, “Although I wouldn’t have minded a note or something that probably would have explained things.” 

 

Doxan nods as he listens to Iris talk, his eyes widening as he realizes the ramifications of this knowledge. He nods a little more when she speaks about wanting a note, then when she finishes, he asks her in all seriousness, “Have you checked your inventory? There might be something from the Goddess in there?” 

 

Iris looks at Doxan, her eyes blinking now and then as she continues to stare. The words he just spoke taking a bit to sink in, “Inventory? Like as in uh... my stuff is in a magic space only I can access, inventory?” 
 
Doxan nods as he smiles, “Simply think the words, ‘Open inventory’ and you should get a small window open, with a list of things that are inside. Touch the list on the item you want to retrieve. It can take some getting used to. Children often have trouble getting the window open.” 

 

Iris laughs a little at his comment, wondering just how old Doxan really is, before starting to try and open the inventory screen. A few attempts later, she gets the screen to open, “Well that was different, I guess I need clearer image of the action in my mind.” She then thinks to herself, As soon as I remembered that fantasy game’s inventory screen, it just opened easily. 

 

Doxan gives a little clap, “Well done!” he smiles, “You are correct. Magic, and skills are affected by the image of the action or spell in your mind. The clearer the image of the action, or the spell, is in your mind. The easier it is to have it brought out and cast, or used.” His hand moves and taps something only he can see. He then draws an ornate and old looking pipe from what seems like thin air. Showing it to Iris as she again looks at the basic magic being used like it was some wonderous act.  
 
The old Dwarf smiles at Iris, and nods as he comes to a conclusion, “The world you came from, did not have magic, did it?”  
 
Iris blinks, and again blushes as she realizes she had been gawping like a kid in a candy store, “No. Magic was sleight of hand, and technical illusions in my world.” 

 

Doxan leans back and puts his pipe to his lips, then snaps his fingers, causing a flame to appear over his index finger, which he applies to the chamber. Lighting the pipe and then grinning at his wide-eyed audience member, “Then. Aren’t you in for a treat?” 

 

Iris’s inner thoughts leak out as she speaks them out loud, “I’m going to learn how to do that.” her eyes on the magical flame flickering still on Doxan’s finger. 
 
Doxan nods, “That you are. And I’ll be happy to teach you.” flicking his hand to cause the fire to go out. “Although have you checked to see if there was anything in your inventory?”  

 

Iris ohs and looks back to the inventory screen, her eyes glittering with the sight of the magic she’s cast of her own. Her eyes moving over the floating screen and the little boxes filling it. She notes that as she looks at each box a little title pops up. ‘Empty’ is over the empty boxes, but what is in the other boxes is what gets her attention.  
 
The first one looks like a little envelope, and the pop-up for it reads ‘To Iris, From Raianya’. Then there are a series of squares that are filled with what she could only think of as loot boxes. Three to be exact.  

 

Her excitement starts to peak as she unconsciously starts to bounce where she sits. Giggling at the chance to open something, wondering if the items inside are random, or set. Either way, she gets her first loot! 

30