chapter 3 – [contract]
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erelim's eye squinted open. The sunlight pierced through the makeshift shelter created by Shuji. It was barely being held up, but it still managed. His wings quivered as a chilly breeze passed by him. They shuffled over his head and wrapped him up, giving him warmth.

Yawning, he patted the area next time aimlessly. He was finally fully awake, twisting his head in search of Shuji. His bare feet pattered across the dirty floors of the wreckage, bandages ran across his legs and arms.

His pink hair fluttered whilst every nook and cranny  for Shuji, only to end up with nothing. Water slowly trickled from the bed of his eye, but the deafening bang of clattering trash was brought to his awareness.

Maneuvering through the hindrances, he wandered into the sight of a colossal sized landfill. Miles of waste collected over the years, each carelessly placed around. Trudging through the piles, he saw Shuji hunched over scavenging around in a bundle of trash.

"Shuji!" Erelim rushed towards the Shuji, flinging caution to the wind; but as he scrambled, clutters of debris caused Erelim to topple over his feet. Expecting impact, he closed his eye.

"Phew." Shuji quickly caught Erelim in his embrace, his palms clutched around Erelim's waistline to erect him up. He settled Erelim properly on the ground. "What are you doing at here?" His voice was occupied with care.

"Hmph! You were the one who lied!" Erelim sulked. He crossed his arms and faced away from Shuji in a show of his irritation. But it induced the contrary reaction out of him.

"Pff! Sorry, that was my blunder!" Shuji stifled a low laugh, his eyes glistened with an unexpected affection towards the odd Angel. He looked down at the odd Angel, his eyes glinted with false anger.

Shuji lay a blanket -that came from who knows where- and placed it beneath himself and Erelim, instead Erelim decided Shuji's leg was a much better pillow to lie on. It was firm but warm. Erelim rubbed his face against it and almost fell asleep until he was shocked awake.

"Erelim. Why do I have a symbol on my chest?" He calmly called out to Erelim. Pulling the side of his shirt, gave Erelim the glimpse of his athletic mermaid line, but what truly attracted his eyes was the intricately made symbol: it comprised a diamond overlapping a triangle and inside was 3 lines going over each other. It was drawn so crudely that it looked like a child had drawn it. 

Erelim's breath hitched in guilt; that he awkwardly trying to fake that he was asleep. But Shuji made sure it wouldn't end like that again.

"Erelim... I didn't ask you anything about being an Angel, or why you fell from the sky, but please, just answer me this." Shuji stared into the deep eyes of Erelim, which were swimming in guilt currently.

Sigh

Erelim sighed in resignation, "During my descent I only could remember a few things: my identity, my powers, and that I have to find my candidate. We weren't told what we should do after we find them, though?"

"That still doesn't tell me about the symbol, also why do you say 'we'? Does that mean there's more like you out there?" Shuji's voice was laced with concern. He couldn't help pick at his fingernails.

"Wait! Let me get to that part! So, the Angel and the candidate will enter a contract that will bind them together through a personalised oath. Don't really remember specifics but that's the basic gist." He nuzzled his forehead into Shuji's thigh, hoping to get his head patted.

Shuji rubbed his chin, pondering, "But when exactly did I sign this contract?" Erelim looked shocked as he turned his head towards the other.

"Eh! How don't you remember! You pinky promised me!" He angrily shouted, but it only came out as a muffled groan yet Shuji could still make out the vague words. "Anyway, I, Erelim and Kana, the Stomach of an Angel, herby welcome you, Candidate." He heaved a heavy sigh, patting Shuji's hair as he resigned himself into Shuji's embrace.

Silence emanated across the lonely landfill. Until Erelim asked out of nowhere: "Oh yeah, Shuji, can we move?"


[2 Months Pass]

Thud!

A loud thud resounded through the ancient apartment blocks. The ominous creaking doors enhanced to the ambiance. The blood was dried and the pungent stench of iron clung to the drab walls.

Giggles passed through the isolated halls. "Shu! Look at what I found!" Erelim bolted into Shuji's embrace, his face covered with a light blush from his run. Behind him, a wriggling bag of things contorted and twisted in agony, but was quickly kicked with a crack of Erelim's foot.

Erelim had a sadistic smile face whilst he cruelly dug his heel into the side of the thing. Its whine was more like a screech to the ear. "Where did you pick it up?" Shuji indifferently asked.

Erelim looked over at Shuji and lifted his foot. "Mmm~ I think it was near the big place with bright lights!" He vaguely described the area. To anyone else, it may have been practically impossible to understand, but after having to get used to Erelim's abstract way of describing locations, Shuji was an adept translator.

"The IHY Towers?" Shuji guessed.

"That's the name! Anyway-" Erelim was cut off quickly by Shuji.

"What exactly were you doing there?" Although his tone sounded pleasing and kind, his eyes gave a different story. Erelim knew immediately that he had screwed up badly.

"Please let me explain!" He clasped his hands together. Falling to his knees, he grabbed at Shuji and gave him his greatest puppy eyes. However, once again, after living together for so long, it was ineffective.

Shuji: "I'm waiting."

"So you see; I wanted to get something super special that I think I was supposed to get before I met you! Anyway, while looking, I had my wings out- and before you get all grouchy about it, I scouted the area already! So anyway, while this thing came at me and was shocked at my wings and y'know what it said, it said 'Just like his wings!' and my brain went boom! Then I grabbed a big bag and brought 'em here!"

Shu was taken aback by the details of Erelim's straightforward answer. "That indicates foremost, that the existence of other Angels and candidates is highly probable. Second, the individual in there may be a candidate."

Erelim's jaw was left hanging open. His head flitted between the struggling bag and Shuji's calm face. Scratching the top of his head, he edged closer to the floundering individual.

He cautiously peeled the cover of the bag and immediately a swirl of brown hair popped out with a gasp of air. Slowly, the individual climbed out; he had sanpaku eyes making him look scary, but the tear-filled eyes did the opposite. His skin was deathly pale to the point you'd think they're a walking corpse.

A small symbol was tattooed on his face. It looked more like an uppercase I combined with an 8. Erelim, although not having a recollection of it, knew who it belonged to immediately.

"Rahatiel! That's his candidate!" Erelim gleefully squealed, his grin peaked to new heights that almost reached his ears.

2