Chapter 75: The Vaping Device
256 10 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Started working out again after resting my body for a while. Need to get my condition up!

“What do you mean?” I leaned in and whispered back to my girlfriend. 

“Maybe we shouldn’t discuss it here…” She replied. “But I think I might be able to help the Admiral with a bit of information...” 

“Oh.” The proverbial coin had dropped. “Yeah… That might be better reserved for a more private setting…” 

Luna nodded, not saying anything else for the rest of the meeting. As most people had already outed their grievances, the only thing left for the meeting to accomplish was the practical information that regarded the boarding of our ship. Departure was set three days from now, allowing people to make their final preparations, at for those that didn’t do it yet. Although I suspect that to be the small minority of our crewmembers. 

Fleet Admiral Hanssen did also mention that we were free to stay here in the meantime. There would also be shuttles flying to the space station from the HQ so that we didn’t really need to head to a spaceport first. That’s probably what Luna and I would do as going home was literally just going to be a waste of time. 

To end things off with, Fleet Admiral Hanssen apologized once more and thanked us for our service. She did ask for Luna and I to stay behind for just a bit while the others were allowed to head back down below the surface.  

The room emptied in five minutes or so leaving us alone with the Fleet Admiral. She even sent the guards to go and wait outside. 

“Is there anything you wanted to discuss with us privately, Fleet Admiral?” I stood up from my seat and walked over to the Fleet Admiral’s table where Hanssen was also getting up from. 

“Not specifically.” She replied. 

“Hmm?” I tilted my head a little. 

“But I thought you might have a few questions for me instead. As I saw you looking at me when we were talking about your new crew members.” 

“Well…” I scratched the back of my head. “Clearly you know something that the minister doesn’t. I was just wondering what exactly you did…”

The Fleet Admiral smiled, not saying something immediately. 

“Uh… Should I really be here for this?” Luna asked. “I wouldn’t want to intrude on a private conversation like this.” 

Fleet Admiral Hanssen shook her head and smiled at Luna. “Everything the Commander knows, you should know as well. Besides, it’s not like she will be able to keep a secret from you anyway, Lieutenant-Commander.” She then looked back at me and gave me a wink. “I take it you were not trying to keep your relationship secret, were you? Otherwise you’d be doing a pretty bad job at it.” 

“Ah…” The comment from the Fleet Admiral did make me blush up just a little. “We were not really trying to keep it that much of a secret since it’s not against regulations…” 

“In any case, it’s not really an issue as you two basically share the same confidentiality clearances.” Hanssen continued. “But going back to the point… You were right in thinking I knew something minister Kerskuri didn’t when he mentioned the new part of the crew he thinks he has in his pocket.” 

“I suppose you didn’t make any of them ‘fall sick’, did you? That would be a bit too suspicious.” 

“Yes, nothing of that sort.” Hanssen nodded. “We had heard Kerskuri was on the lookout for some people for his little plan. What we did is a bit simple, really. We just filled up his scouting list with people who had firstly been selected by us. So while he thinks their loyalty lies with him, in reality that loyalty lies with us instead. That being said, I would still suggest to practice some due caution around them. You can never be 100% sure after all. But don’t be so concerned that it starts to alter your decision making process.” 

“Ah, alright. I was worried for a bit that we were going to have some political Kommissar on board that would make us do things we really didn’t want to do.” 

The Fleet Admiral nodded. “The Chancellor understood that it’s best to keep your autonomy as intact as possible. You don’t seem to me like a commander who functions too well if she’s bound to the letter of the book. Of course that has both its advantages and disadvantages. But for the mission you have been assigned to, your type is truly the one most suited for the task at hand. For example the interrogation technique you used on the prisoners you’ve brought back to Earth. I have to say that was quite the brilliant move.” 

“To be honest, that was the Lieutenant-Commander’s idea mostly, not mine.” 

“Our AI helped too.” Luna replied. “It would have been a lot harder to perform without her.” 

“I see.” The admiral nodded once more. “It was a great idea nonetheless, Lieutenant-Commander.” She then looked back at me. “And thank you for your honesty, Commander. Otherwise I’d solely be commending you.” 

“I don’t go running with someone else’s honor, Ma’am.” 

 She smiled and after a couple more seconds she addressed the both of us. “Then, if you don’t want to discuss anything else, would you please excuse me, I still have some paperwork to get in order before your ship sets sail again.”

“Of course, Ma’am.” Luna and I replied pretty much at the same time, both giving her a salute as well.

“But before I leave I just want to tell you two things.” She packed her holostick away and straightened her back. “As we will not speak again before you leave on your mission, good luck and safe travels. And Commander Davis….” 

“Yes, Ma’am?” 

“Please don’t try to wreck your shoulder barely a week into your trip now, will you?” 

Her comment took me aback, I had somewhat forgotten about that happening. “I will practice the utmost care, Fleet Admiral.” 

“You better.” She chuckled. “War heroes are not so indestructible as they sometimes think.” She then looked back at Luna. “Please do keep her in check.” 

“Aye aye, Ma’am.” Luna saluted, from the look on her face it was clear she was rather amused by Hanssen’s little comment. 

 

We let the Fleet Admiral leave before us after we descended back down the HQ building. We didn’t directly go back to our subterranean level as Eva had sent us a message that her, Gunny and Yuki were going to the HQ’s courtyard on the ground floor to hang out for a little bit. Discussing what had been said during the meeting.  

We found them sitting on a bench near one of the fountains, Gunny clearly frustrated, huffing into nicotine inhaler. As the entire area around the HQ was smokefree he had to do with this rather than his cigarettes. With this many officers around he was not about to break the rules as he did back on the moon. “I really can’t stand that fucking minister.” He grumbled. 

“I’m pretty sure no one can, Gunny.” I chuckled as we walked up to him. 

“Did the Fleet Admiral need you for something important?” Eva asked, standing up to give her seat to Luna. 

Luna was a bit reluctant at first to take the seat but Eva insisted. An insisting Eva is rather hard to deny. “It wasn’t really that important… She just explained certain… things…” Luna looked up at me for permission to say more. 

I nodded, these were all people I trusted with my life after all. “She basically told us not to worry too much about those new crewmembers who are going to join us. The minister’s hands reach less far than he likes to think.” 

Gunny looked quite a bit happier after hearing that. Also letting out a sigh of relief. “Good. I really don’t want more stuck-up politically appointed assholes to deal with. Such a bloody pain in the butthole.” 

Yuki laughed at Gunny’s language. 

This seemed to make Gunny conscious of what he just said and what company he was in. “I’m sorry, I just need to vent a bit.” 

“You’ve had it rough lately, it’s fine. I’m not a vulnerable flower that can’t handle strong language. At least… Not anymore.” I take it she was referring to what happened when we first met. 

Gunny nodded and patted Yuki on the shoulder. “I know. I was mostly referring to the good doctor.” He took his vaping device out of his mouth just so he could grin at Eva. 

Eva, who immediately shot him a piercing glare in return. “Oh, is that so, Robert?” 

His demeanor switched back immediately to being apologetic. Just like a kid who had done something wrong in front of his mother. “Oh please no. Please don’t do that. I’m sorry, okay?” 

“What do you mean, Gunnery Sergeant Robert Turner? Are you accusing me of being a vengeful spirit?” 

Gunny turned to me. “Commander, please, tell her I’m sorry.” 

“I’m sorry, Gunny.” I raised both of my hands. “You really shouldn’t push someone who is holding all the cards.” 

“Fuck meeeee.” 

“I’d rather not, Gunnery Sergeant Turner.” Eva continued. 

Well, at least there was no harm in this. It actually seemed like Gunny was somewhat enjoying this kind of jostling about. I’d only step in if it was about to get out of hand. But Eva has plenty of people's knowledge to stop plenty before that’d ever happen. 

If I plan to do a group trip to Japan I do want to at least have a bit of stamina.

22