Chapter 2: Cosplayer
337 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been two days since I arrived back on Earth and I have had zero luck finding Cherry. I used magic, asked around, and even spied to no avail. It doesn't help the fact that I am still dressed like a sage either. I would like to change but doing so meant I wasn't in optimal combat readiness. Even if Cherry won't have any magic, nor should anyone on Earth have, I won't let my guard down. Yes, I may have PTSD, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If anything, it keeps my senses sharp. 

There were some ups to having magic on Earth...and from being different from an actual human. I took it in stride a while ago that I was no longer a human. Normally it will take me eight days before I have to eat something or I start feeling the affect of hunger, and ten days before I need water. But, with magic, I can extend that by almost a month. Plus, unless I am in combat I won't get tired from running around all day. Yet, even with all these advantages I don't know how a bullet from Earth will affect me. While I had a feeling it won't damage me as much as a bullet from Fantarsia, I don't really want to find out.

"Maybe I should just go home," I say with a sigh, kicking a rock on the ground.

"I'm beginning to wonder if you failed to realize that, if you go home, the timeline will be in danger," System said with a bit of annoyance visible in their words,

"Currently, there is only one of you. However, if you go to your home the timeline will resume itself, meaning you'll forever be a part of the timeline and will most likely change much more than Cherry."

"Well, unless by some miracle I can find her on the third day than I don't know what else to do!" I snap back, more than a little pissed. While I may different from humans, I still am quite like one. I can get pissed and tired very easily. 

System didn't answer me back. So, with a sigh, I started looking at the houses. Houses in Fantarsia weren't anything like the design of houses back on Earth. They were simple and relatively the same to each other. When I go back to Fantarsia, I'm definitely going to miss them. One thing I wouldn't miss is the smoking and how loud cars can be. Unless you're in a battle, Fantarsia is relatively quiet. After having lived in that silent word for years, my ears are no longer used to how loud modern Earth is. Also, in Fantarsia, no one smokes. Cigarettes and cigars have yet to be invented. Tobacco didn't either. In fact, as far as I am aware, there were no drugs such as heroin or weed exists in Fantarsia. People relieve their stress by fighting each other, sparring, or training.

'Hmm? What is that-!?' 

My thoughts went blank as I zoomed in on the red glint I saw in a window of a tan house with a grey roof. Even from this distance I could tell right away that the red belonged to a red sheath, one that looked awfully familiar.

"Aha! I found ya!" I shout, not caring if someone heard me. Most people were at work or school anyway.

"You did?" System asked, though I didn't bother answering them.

I quickly ran over to the house and walked up to the front door. There was a security camera but I quickly disabled it with magic before I got close enough for it to see me. After looking inside I noticed a single dog with black fur stand up. Before they could let out a bark I quickly casted a sleeping spell on them, putting them to sleep. Once that was done I disabled the alarm using magic and tried the door. To my surprise the front door was unlocked. I guess the door isn't locked because someone is at school. At least, that is what I figured from my own experience. 

The inside was nice but I wasn't really interested in the interior. I walked right to the room I saw, or where the room I think the katana is. The room had blinds over the window yet the katana, for whatever reason, was put in front of those blinds. As I did I could hear voices coming from the basement. After listening in for a bit I realized that whoever owns this house works from home. 

Walking past the basement door I entered a yellow bedroom. Inside was a bunch of books, stuffed animals, airplane and ship models, and, the biggest hitter, six black swords inside a large cardboard box leaning against a dresser. 

As I walked into the room I noticed a closet by the door. Seeing no reason not to I opened the closet and instantly saw what I had been looking for. 

Inside was a bunch of different dresses and outfits, a mix between male and female clothes...and by that I mean stuff males would usually wear and things females would usually wear. Skipping past that part I looked deeper and saw a small black jewelry box sitting on top of a black chest. Inside the box were the rings Cherry sometimes wears. 

After a quick look in the chest, which just had a bunch of Halloween things in it, I went over to the window I saw and took out the katana. When I grabbed it I realized right away that it was a toy. Frowning, I walked over to the six black swords and ran a hand on them. Instead of feeling the cold touch of metal, I felt hard plastic, like wood. 

"System, can you explain what is going on here?" I asked, confused.

"Well, while these are the weapons The Cherry Tyrant uses, they are not real weapons. My best guess is that, when she arrives to Fantarsia, her weapons become real."

That...actually sounded logical. If I am going off of looks alone since reincarnaters age slowly, Cherry didn't look older than sixteen. Who in their right mind would give their kid a real sharp weapon at such an age? That's not to even mention the guns she has. I don't know much laws but I have a feeling someone under sixteen shouldn't own an M-14.

The sound of the front door opening broke me from my thoughts. I quickly threw the toy katana on the bed and cast an invisibility spell. It was a good thing I did to since a teenager with light brown skin, brown eyes, and orange hair came into the room. He looked around and spotted the katana on the bed. He frowned and went over and picked it up.

"I swore I placed this on the window," The teenager said with a frown. Hearing his words I nearly let out a gasp. I wasn't stupid. I knew that this meant two things. Either this isn't Cherry's room or Cherry is, or was, male.

The teenager looked around for a bit before, with a shrug, dropped the katana and opened a drawer in his nightstand and pulled out an unmistakable smiling skeleton face mask before leaving as suddenly as he arrived.

I watched him go, following him out, even leaving the house with him. As I watched him pick up his backpack and start walking to school, a dawning came on me.

"System, is Cherry transgender?" 

"...How would I know? I'm not in her head. Plus, that might not even be Cherry. Their DNA is completely different."

I nodded, realizing that answer was the best I was going to get.

"...Well, if that is Cherry then they clearly haven't been abused to the point of getting nails through her mouth yet. I should follow them just in case," I concluded. 

Besides, if he isn't Cherry then somehow Cherry gets a hold of the weapons in the room. Staying around him will prove useful.

 

 

 

./\.

 

 

 

I have learned nothing so far. They aren't being bullied, they have friends, and their family is nice to them. I could see nothing that screamed Cherry to me. That is why I was sleeping next to "Cherry's" window. Though my sleeping was rudely interrupted by System.

"What?" I asked, annoyed. I haven't slept in two days.

"Look," System said with another nudge.

I looked up and saw a figure leave the house. Even in the darkness I could tell that they wore some kind of dress and had the unmistakable shape of a katana on their hilt. After looking around the figure quickly started walking down the street. System gave me a sideways glance that I didn't bother responding to. Instead I picked up my staff and followed after them.

The figure stopped at an ice cream shop that was still open. This was also where I saw the figure clearly for the first time. They wore the familiar skeleton mask and on their left hand were the familiar claws. Her dress was orange and black and looked like it was a mix between a modern maid and some Halloween outfit. Around their waist, kept in place by an orange ribbon, was the familiar black katana and a familiar black short sword known as a gladius. The only thing is that, not matter how different she looks in her outfit, I recognized the light brown eyes, skin, and orange hair, though the hair is tied into pigtails.

"That's the guy, right?" I asked System who nodded in response.

The girl rang the doorbell and waited. As she did so she looked at her fingers, or more importantly, her fingernails. Seeing her do it I felt my blood run cold. It was the exact way Cherry looked at her claws every now and then. Even the stance she took while doing it, looking imperious yet bored, was the exact same. 

Before I could ask System to check again the door to the ice cream shop opened up and a small but bright and cheery girl with slight freckles and brown hair tied into long twintails peaked outside, a beaming smile on her face.

"Cherry! Come on in, girl!" The supposed worker exclaimed, grabbing Cherry and pulling her inside, closing the door behind her.

....

....

....

"....Are you sure that isn't Cherry?" I asked.

"I just said their DNA is different. I never said that they weren't Cherry. In fact, if you looked at the list of staff through the window it says the name Cherry K. Maple."

"Huh. Well, okay then-" I started before I heard the staff member from before call out from behind me.

"You want to work here too, cosplayer?"

Even though I had magic and such I still let out a yelp of surprise and spun around. Behind me was Cherry and the girl. They somehow managed to sneak up on me.

"Cherry here saw you fo-" The girl began but stopped. Why did she stop? Well, since I was caught by surprise and tired, I fired a magical bright blue bolt that landed in between the two, causing a crater to form on the ground. 

Silence set in as the two looked from the burned concrete and me multiple times. Finally, the girl spoke.

"...So, that isn't a cosplay, huh?" She asked, laughing nervously. Besides me, System let out a long sigh, not doubt giving me a really long sideways look.

 

 

 

.__.

 

 

 

"So, you went to another world and, after a while, you finally found your way back?" Rachel asked, tilting her head. 

"Yes, that's right," I confirmed with a small shake of my head. 

After the whole "firing a magical bolt at them" incident the two took me in to the place they work to talk things out. As it turns out, the ice cream shop is a place for the more wild people of society. Cosplayers, people who hide their true personality in public, and etc. I didn't know this was around the school I go to. I feel like I should have heard about it, especially considering the fact that the name of the place is Shelly Shop. My nervous self would have loved this place.

Since it was a weird little shop, Rachel is the only person who wears the actual outfit, which is a dark red with yellow stripes shirt, shorts, and hat. There was also some black in the uniform and, not going to lie, it looks pretty good on her. Rachel also is the owner of this shop. Despite her small size and childish damear, she is actually twenty-two and has been helping run this ice cream shop...or store, since she was sixteen. 

I also learned something that really ticks me off.

"There there, little mage. You're back now, so what is there to worry about?" Cherry asked, patting me on the head.

Both Cherry and Rachel were taller than me, Cherry taller than me by almost two whole feet. Ack, I hate being four point seven. Worst thing is that I'm not going to get any taller either. Cherry, in the past, was four point five, being two inches smaller than me. My one thing I had over her is now gone. Though, we both don't have any breasts, so we shared that in common.

"I'm not a dog!" I pouted, shaking my head to get Cherry's hand off of me. Cherry let out a chuckle and gave me a warm smile. Seeing it I turned away. Even if she was wearing a skeleton mask over her mouth, when Cherry smiles warmly, her eyes close and she tilts her head. Even being so tall she looks so damn cute.

"Anyway, I came here because I need some place to stay...and I was hungry," I admitted, looking away ashamed. It was true. While I have only been on Earth for about three days I haven't eaten in five. 

"Aw, you poor thing," Rachel cooed, gently rubbing my cheek with her hand. I once again growl-gently told her to stop, which she did with a little teehee.

"Well, you can stay here as long as you don't steal and eat all of the food, okay?" Rachel offered, offering her hand. I was about to take it when she suddenly pulled it back.

"You also have to work here too, got it?" Rachel added, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

I bit my lower lip. I wanted to shake her hand but I didn't really want to work here, even if it meant staying next to Cherry. But, in the end, my pride didn't win.

"...Fine," I muttered. Hearing my reply Rachel let out a tiny squeal and took my hand, shaking it.

"Glad to hear it, new recruit!" Rachel said before she asked a question I knew was coming, "Say, what's your name? You don't want to be called new recruit, do you?"

I had been giving this some thought. If I give my name up then, by the time my friends and I arrive in Fantarsia, they might be confused as to why my name is known. But that's okay. After all, with my experience and skills I will be able to save them. In other words, since I am not going to Fantarsia with Cherry, giving her my name wouldn't matter.

"My name is Sella."

"Sella, huh. I like it," Cherry commented, giving me a small wink.

"I know, right? It's like your name, Cherry. Strange, unique, and cute."

'Cute, huh.' I thought, looking at Rachel and Cherry, 'My name is nothing but a disgrace in the future, and your name brings terror to everyone who wasn't conquered by you. You, Rachel, are the only one whose name means nothing since you never went to Fantarsia.'

'But, only I can prevent that. I can change it so our names mean something different. I have to.'

With renewed determination I looked up and smiled, ignoring the hidden prying look Cherry was giving me. Even if she isn't in Fantarsia yet, it seems she is not the one who overlooks things. After all, she did spot me tracking her. I should be more careful in the future. I want Cherry to trust me, not hate me.

For the sake of the world of Fantarsia, I will change the future. No one will ever go through the horrible things that happened. No one shall remember it other than the Goddess...

....

....

....and me, just as it should be.

11