Interlude XXXIX – Epilogue II – Air and Contemplation
336 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Safira walked along corridors of the Temple of Air on the outskirts of Pravwell, her feelings towards saving the inhabitants had not quite changed but she was less confident that they wanted to be saved and some part of her was still sceptical of her mission and what she had been sent into the city for. The older monks all said that everyone had to go through the growing experience that was Ambula Sacrificii but she was not convinced. She knew that the Roc in his unlimited benevolence would not put anyone through trials they could not handle but what if the priests’ interpretations of those divine words was wrong? After all no one alive had met or spoke to the magnificent Roc.

 

She knew about the other false words that said they were just forces of nature, unthinking and mere beasts but she did not believe those words. She knew what was right and while the other three Elementals were powerful none could be considered more so than the Roc, he was majestic and a calming presence to all around him.

 

Safira took a deep breath and let it out slowly, allowing the calm of air to still her beating heart. Air was always calming. She could simply breathe and that would restore her, centre her. Was that not true power, power over ones emotions and erratic thoughts?

 

Safira took several more breaths then changed course walking more purposefully to the library where a vast knowledge of Roc and his teaching were held as well as what fault lay in the doctrines of the other religions, they simply did not know that hers was the one true belief. Her path was to teach others and show them the right way.

 

“Elder, I have done what was asked of me, what comes next?” Safira asked the man she met in the library. The elder smiled mildly at her and beckoned her closer.

 

“With that task completed you are only one step below the Elders. Which means that you may now chose your area of study. You may visit the various parts of Fryst and preach the gospel of Roc. We have enough faith in you now to know that you will do well in the various chapels around the continent. However you must not go beyond to the Islands of Strelknar, or the other place.” The old man said.

 

“The other place?” Safira asked, intrigued at the new development. “What other place?”

 

“There is a dark presence that we know of in this world, we call it the Dark Continent but we know nothing more.” The Elder said. Then without any words of goodbye he simply walked away, this time there was no sign of age in the motion though. It was as if this burdens had been lifted.

 

Was it Safira’s imagination or did she feel heavier now? Also she had a sudden urge to visit Brewyn, there was something there that she needed to learn about. What could it mean? Their library was second to none. Perhaps it was something there?

 

Not sure what was happening with her Safira began her preparations to visit Brewyn’s wealth of knowledge. Even if she started early tomorrow and flew the whole way, it would be a long day indeed.

 

********************************************************

 

Borowyn was in contemplation. He sat in his throne room, his advisors and military leaders arrayed before him and his wife by his side. He made a point not to bring too many of the nobility into the room for these sessions, many would use unrest to leverage their own power.

 

He was not afraid of being usurped, he simply did not need such a distraction right now. So the people before him were those that he trusted implicitly.

 

He could not understand what had caused the ruckus and if his son and the odd creature had not come across the Berserker by happenstance they may not have learned of the situation until it was too late. Perhaps his son’s bad luck was finally working for the kingdom? Though it was at the cost of putting him in harm’s way and Borowyn was not entirely sure it was a trade off he was comfortable with. What parent would be willing to risk their children to stop a greater threat to the kingdom.

 

He sighed, a ruler should be willing to make that sacrifice. But it was still hard for him. He might show a strong front but a part of him shuddered at the idea that Boren had been so close to death and he had been completely unaware. His detection skills had always been somewhat lacking but that was where his wife excelled. If he had told Isabella about Boren’s transgression to the city…

 

No, that line of thought would only lead to self-recrimination and he would not allow that. He could not allow it. Such indulgences were for people with less riding on their shoulders. He had made a decision. The boy needed a little freedom if he was to discover his path.

 

The latest reports had come in from the four Shadows his wife commanded. She had passed that information on to him and his elite guard had reported in as well after a sweep of the city. Making sure not to rouse fear and confusion Borowyn had ordered them to don plain civilian clothing, it was a tactic he had used before and something that proved effective. No more information or sightings of any Berserkers or similar had been seen.

 

This news brought little relief to the King however as there were always underground channels and back alleys where these deals could go down. Pravwell, ever the thorn in his side was also a likely source of this latest threat. Those he had sealed within were never content with their lot and he would not condemn those born within its walls to that life even if it meant safer citizens elsewhere.

 

Borowyn mentally reset his thinking without showing anything on his face, a skill he had mastered long ago. “Is there any news from Pravwell? Do we know if there is any indication that they are involved?”

 

“It is not clear yet my King.” Isabella said in her capacity as Spymaster for Darf. “However we are expecting more information to come through in the next few days.” She grimaced as she said it. Like him she understood how time sensitive this type of operation was. They could not allow their information to get old. The worst case scenario would be them having to go to Pravwell themselves.

 

Nothing more needed to be said. They would have to find better and faster ways to communicate with their various parts of the country and their operatives in other countries as well. Perhaps they had seen similar problems. “Very well, thank you all.”

 

With that all the attendants left leaving only a handful of ceremonial guards and his wife. Borowyn breathe a small sigh of relief knowing that Boren would be out of the palace and safe in the academy, he would need all his focus for the weeks to come.

 

“Isabella, is there a way for us to get information faster from your agents? Anything we can do to make things move faster would be of great help.” She simply nodded, she understood the importance of the situation, she had been with him during that last insurgence.

 

“I have some ideas and we should talk more about them but for now I need sleep, and so do you. Let us get some rest then we can tackle this with fresh eyes. I suspect that the pact you formed with the other kingdoms. The pact that stops them from invading our small slice of heaven here is going to play a major role in the situation we find ourselves in now.” Isabella said to her husband.

 

“I suspect you are right.” Borowyn accented with a sigh. “I think it might be necessary to have a meeting with the leaders of all five countries if this situation becomes any worse. I am not keen on meeting them but we if we have to…” Isabella simply nodded, she seconded to his sentiments.

 

“We shall see what happens, if the Fryst council needs to convene then it will be a dark day indeed.” Isabella replied. “I am a little uncertain about putting Boren in the Academy with a possible threat looming in the distance.”

 

“If anything wouldn’t he be safer there, hidden under his disguise? Not to mention that creature with him. I suspect we have not seen half of what that thing can do and he seems to have formed some sort of bond with Boren. I was thinking of making him Boren’s guardian.”

 

“You can’t be serious Borowyn!” Isabella hissed. “Wait…they formed a bond. Are you certain about this? No…of course you are, you were always better with this sort of thing than I. If you say they have formed a bond then I trust you. But I can’t say that I trust him to have Boren’s best interests at heart, Soul Oath or no. I will be keeping my eye on that Academy. We need to bring the rest of the children back from their diplomatic missions though. It would not be right to keep them away when there may be some unrest on the horizon.”

 

“Isabella, we need to be smart about it though, bringing them back after so long with no explanation will be suspicious at best, it is part of the pact we signed to have representatives with all of them. Let me think about this. The council will play an important part in this.” Borowyn lapsed into contemplation.

 

Whatever happened next they would need to tread carefully to avoid accusations flying around and open war. Perhaps that was the intention of such a calculated show of force.

 

Borowyn was at a loss but for now at least he would focus on the things within reach.

***************************************************************************

Hey all! Thanks so much for reading. This is the end of Book 2 of It Started with Slime.

Just an update from me. You may not know, but I took a three-month break from writing and only started again at the beginning of August. I will be taking a break of one month from posting an average of two chapters a week and will start posting more regularly, twice a week, instead of dumping ten chapters at a time every five weeks. This helps with the algorithm, and that should mean I can get more readers.

At the same time I have started Book 3 and as always advanced chapters are available on my Patreon but in order for it to be worth it for people that are subscribing I need to have enough advanced chapters.

The truth is life got in the way. I have been writing for about a year now and it has been fun but I also moved halfway across the world, had a baby and changed careers from Electrical Engineering to Voice and Screen Acting so it was a lot of change and I think I had not given myself a chance to work through it all.

Thanks for your support in reading this and please do feel free to check out my Patreon, I am trying to put two advanced chapters up there for free just for visiting my Patreon no commitment is necessary and will look to be a little more active on the chats and forums.

Bear with me as I get all my stuff sorted out and work to maintain a better schedule!

Best, Keval!

4