Chapter 11: Operation Lovion 1; Travels
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location; Temporary war camp of the Minterl army, meeting tent:

"So, as you all have been briefed there is an enemy General who is going to be out in the open. We have information pertaining to his route, we are going to set up an ambush at Lovion forest, we need to plan out how many people there will be and how this will all go." A captain began, he was the lead of this operation.

"So, why am I here?" Celestia asked.

"Well, we needed someone to take care of the General while we take out all of his guards. He is said to be a battle maniac." The captain answered her.

"Once again, why me?"

"Well, while others are good at leading and the such, they aren't as good as you at combat and no high-ranking fighters were available, so we had to request your help..."

"Well then, now that I know, I have been thinking about it this entire time and I believe we should ambush them here." Celestia stood up and walked around the table with a massive map sprawling over it to a section of the forest where the enemy General would spend barely any time, therefore this would have to be executed perfectly, why take such a risk? Because she pointed to an enclosed section between two cliffs, it was a straight line between the cliffs with only two openings. She explained her reasons as to why this was the best option, and it probably was, "Now, you may be thinking this is a terrible idea because there isn't enough time to come back and kill him if we miss our chance. And you're right, he'll already be lost in the woods unless we've memorized the map and it'd still be hard to find our way around. But the thing is if you look closely it's a tight space and just long enough to prevent his escape, we could easily kill him here by jumping off of the cliffs even and slow down our fall with flight magic. So therefore I propose we have everyone on both sides of the hill, some cover the two openings so they can't get out once they come in and the others jump on top of them."

"W-well, that's certainly a well thought out plan but I have a question." Someone within the crowd said, with a seemingly confused and perplexed voice.

"And that would be?" Celestia shot back, she was expecting to be bombarded with questions for the next few minutes, and she was.

"Well, if we did this wouldn't it be possible for them to send forward scouts or even have men go around the cliffs while they go through. That one factor could through off the entire plan."

"Those are good questions, I hadn't really though of that myself. But, I do believe we can easily avoid that by killing all of the troops going around the cliff silently, and make sure they don't scream as we encircle the enemy. As for the other question, we have our mages cast a cloaking spell on all of our soldiers that will last for around... about 1 hour which is around the time the scouts will take to get there check and get back, the General and his entourage will be to close to escape by then so even if they notice and pull back we can chase them, they won't be able to lose us as, something I just noticed myself, the place they will be entering from is a decently sized clearing. We'll be able to easily hunt down at least the General there."

"Question!" Another curious soul sprang up to ask a question.

"Yes?"

"When do you suggest we depart?"

"How long until the General arrives in the forest?"

"4 days."

"How long will it take to get there?"

"Approximately one day."

"Then we depart tomorrow so we can prepare a little early."

"Captain?" A soldier said and then continued, "Are you ok with this?"

He gave a quiet but still loud enough to hear, "Yes." An affirmative answer, Operation Lovion will soon be underway.

The next day; Time is 3:00 AM:

"Everyone! We'll be leaving in half an hour! Pick up the pace and get ready fast, we need to depart as soon as possible." A sergeant first class yelled, advisor to the platoon leader. "Go on, go on, get to the marching lines, we'll have to go for a day straight!"

"My feet already hurt thinking about it..."

"Worst part of this job."

"Why us?!?!" The soldiers complained, understandably due to the pure agony they were about to suffer.

"Shut up and get moving. Once again we're leaving in half an hour! Get to the marching lines"

At the marching lines someone was telling soldiers where to go and what to do, it was Celestia, she had woken up hours prior and still wasn't sleep deprived. Perhaps it was because of he race skill, 'Insomnia', a skill which more or less meant you could sleep less and still have a lot of energy, although it didn't really cater to the actual disorder it did somewhat stay true to it.

"I would appreciate it if you guys were more cooperative in this and didn't complain about how you didn't want to march to me for 5 minutes straight." Celestia said, visibly agitated by the antics' of all the soldiers. The last soldier entered the line and they began marching, "Around 28 minutes early."

Location; Plains of avarice:

"Wonder why these plains were named as they were..." A soldier called out, it was a question many couldn't answer as the knowledge was hardly known. It was buried deep within the history of the land.

"Well," Someone started, "quite a while back there were a lot of nobles around, these nobles built large castles and drained all the money form their citizens, you can still see the castles around. And by doing so they brought on horrible hatred from the citizens to themselves, and as you can see, it resulted in their kingdom falling due to a collapse of the entire government, quite the sad thing really, it was said to be a good country with equality for all like ours..."

"How do ya know that?" Someone yelled out.

"Well I'm a scholar you see." It was revealed to be the platoon leader, a knowledgeable and talented individual who liked to study the history of where ever he was deployed. No one really knew the reason why he would. "So although I may be a soldier I do have quite the achievements in the field of history." Someone ran up next to him and whispered a few words into his ear. "Hmmm? Very well." 

"I want 5 soldiers to go ahead, it won't take long but come back after you explore all of the area. Any volunteers? Preferably fast ones." The platoon leader asked, 5 hands shot up immediately. The leaders eyes squinted as he smiled.

"Ah! Thank you, just check for any enemies." He watched them walk away and slowly opened his eyes which contained a condescending glare. As soon as they out of hearing range he went on with the topic, "Now, Celestia?"

"Yes?" Celestia's head shot up, she had been immersed in day dreaming.

"Do you mind killing those soldiers?"

"What? Why would I do that?"

"I have just been informed that they are spies, no one in their right mind would go out there of their own will. But they volunteered, I also mentioned to my men earlier to not volunteer if I asked. They seem to have jumped into the rank while we were moving, I have no idea as to how we never noticed..."

"Very well..." She put out her hand a large blast of wind came out.

One of the spies looked back, his eyes widened and he barely squeaked out a measly, "Mo-" His head hit the back of another.

"Who tapped m-" His body fall in two before he could finish his sentence, in to much pain to speak he could only look towards the ground and the head rolling next to him.

"OH SHIT!" One yelled, "THEY'RE ONTO US." He yelled out to the forest, "RUN... who thought we could deal with the army anyway." His legs gave out from under him as everything below his knees was reverted to nothing, "Shit." Something went through his head and the remainder of his lifeless body hit the ground.

All the others were already dead, he was the last one.

"How were they able to get in anyway? Did they just slip into the back???" Celestia questioned.

"I suppose so." The platoon leader responded.

"Tell the outer soldiers to keep a better eye out for anyone trying to disguise as one of ours."

"Will do."  The platoon leader said as they went into the forest, over the dead bodies, and to the cliffs where an unprecedented event was about to happen.

Location; Cliffs in the Lovion forest:

"Alright everyone, we'll be setting up some mana barriers and traps around the basin of the cliffs, well the mages not us, so just sit still for a while and then we'll cast some cloaking spells on all of you when they start approaching our position, we'll probably have to start quite early due to the amount of you guys there are though, but that's a good thing, they probably have a lot of people too. Anyway everyone, follow me to the location we just selected for the camp site, we'll need to set it up quick as nights approaching quickly." The platoon leader shouted out, "Oh and if you see those bandits who tried to ambush us, slaughter them would you? It'd be a great help as it'll lower the dangers for us and future traveler of this route."  Everyone responded positively with response like, "You got it!" and, "Will do sir." And they all began prepping for the eventual ambush, the camp set up began as the mages went to do their thing. The camp was set up some ways away from the cliffs so it couldn't be spotted by those approaching the ambush site and ruin the plan. 

A little while after the camp had been set up and a night guard had been selected via stick drawings, the obvious best way to do it, the leaders of the platoon started discussing what still needed to be set up as they had noticed they hadn't thought of that before, they were afraid they forgot some other important factors and it had been going on for a while when someone brought up something vital they had missed, "We also need some scouts to go and check if they're approaching every hour or so, can't have them get the jump on us."

"We won't be able to get that set up for a while, I hope the mages don't get jumped before we can start sending some out. Wish we hadn't forgotten about this... this operation is already going horribly."

"Hopefully."

"Also, how many people did we bring?"

"Around 100 or so, two times the size of a regular platoon. It contains 75 soldiers and 25 mages. So about a 1 to 4 ratio."

"Pretty high amount of mages."

"Well we needed them to set up some precautions and counter-measures, everything has to go perfectly."

Location; Cliffs in the forest of Lovion:

While everyone else was getting ready for the night, which was a long and tedious process on this occasion, and the meeting between the higher ups of the platoon going on. All of the mages and Celestia, who was leading them, were still setting all the previously mentioned counter-measures up. And as they were something was about to happen that wasn't in favor of Minterl. Somewhere in the distance drums could be heard if it was silent, but it wasn't due to all of the mages conversing with one another, joking and swapping out with one another the sound wouldn't be heard for a few more minutes, their day of placing mana barriers was about to be interrupted.

"Well guys, when tomorrow comes we'll be able to rest!" One mage joked.

"Time to swap, I'm out of mana."

"Coming!"

"Hopefully they don't come early."

"Don't joke like that..."

"Quit the chatter, I'm losing focus." Celestia said as her eyebrow twitched. Everyone stopped talking, understandably so. The faint drumming in the distance grew louder.

Someone picked up on the drums, "What's that?"

"Oh god, could they actually be early?" Someone said in a panicked voice.

"ALERT THE MAIN CAMP! QUICK! Even if it's not them no one should be coming through this forest." The scouts that were discussed before hadn't been sent out fast enough.

Hello! Hope you liked the chapter :3 Also point out fallacies within this chapter as it seemed a little off to me but I couldn't find what put me off. Probably because I'm tired... may rewrite this entire chapter, will say if I do though

Discord- https://discord.com/invite/H3meMwq2AN

1