Chapter 8: Little Mu’s Big Adventure
1.7k 2 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hi everyone! First chapter from the perspective of a character that isn't one of the MCs. A bit longer than normal since it'll likely be the only one from her perspective for quite a while. Let me know in the comments what you think and whether you'd like to see more different povs or would prefer just the MCs.

 

Gao Mu happily walks through the market. She clutches Suwan's list tight as she looks from stand to stand.

“Hmm, I don't know what any of the stuff on here looks like. They sound like they could be herbs for alchemy. Maybe I’ll ask around, some of these items do seem like they’d be easy to recognize. Firegrass roots, probably red and rootish right? Spring Dew Blossom, hmm, I get the feeling it could be a bluish flower. Wait, could it be? Everyone knows intuition is what’s most important to a cultivator. Gasp! This is a test! Master is so wise!”

Mu clenches her fist as the fires of determination burn in her eyes.

“I will complete it. I will get every single thing on this list. Master only said to get as many as I could so if I get them all she should be impressed! And then, and then. Master will make me pills that’ll let me grow more! Wait no, I'm still growing! Wait, what do you mean I'm small!”

The crowd gives a wide berth to the girl stomping the ground and yelling to herself. Even despite this, Gao Mu pays little mind to the child bumping into her with a hurried apology. 

“Let’s see, let’s see. I should probably check the herbalists first, I can still look around after that, hmm, maybe I can get something nice for master too. There’s a lot of gold in this pouch after a- !”

Mu pats her left side. Then she pats her right.

“It’s gone!”

She whirls around with a scream, just barely seeing a tiny silhouette slink into an alley. 

“I got robbed! Oh no, master’s money. I can’t let this happen!”

She drops down into a sprinter’s stance before dashing off after the thief. Skidding to a halt in front of the alley she barely notices a shadow receding down a side path. Without any hesitation she runs after it, leaping over boxes and sliding under drying laundry. 

Her hand barely misses the little brat as they lunge through a small hole at the bottom of a wooden fence.

“Hah, I'm too big to fit through there! Wait, that's not a good thing right now!”

Mu turns around and runs for the opposite wall. With a quick leap she places one foot on the wall and then another before leaping off it. She arches her back as she crosses over the fence. Crashing down on one knee and fist she raises her head. Her target takes a quick glance back at the noise. She meets the small girl’s fearful eyes for the briefest second before the young scamp runs off even faster.

The girl knocks over crates, barrels and all manner of other clutter to slow Mu down. It matters little. While Gao Mu may not be far along the path of cultivation she is still far above even the strongest mortal, let alone a malnourished child. She twists and dodges past crates, leaps and slithers through falling beams and rockets off barrels. Only when she sees the child approach a doorway does she slow down.

“A hideout! Kukuku, you can’t run any further now little thief.”

Two stories tall and held together by ancient wood and ramshackle repairs it is little more than a shack. Rotting planks creak beneath her slippers as she enters the building.  Wind whispers through cracks in the walls like eerie flutes. Droplets falling from the tattered roof lend a consistent patter to the noise. She realizes she can hear these sounds far more clearly now that she’s entered as what little chatter went on in the ground floor of the dilapidated building fell still. Her nose crinkles as a pungent scent enters it. Curiously she looks into one of the side rooms.

Inside sit several children, each flesh over bones. They wear naught but thin rags full of holes. A shiver runs through them as Gao looks into the room. One of the older ones, a boy with short blond hair, wraps his arms protectively around two smaller ones. They keep their heads bowed as they clutch each other tight, desperately hoping to avoid attention.  

“What is this place?” Mu mutters to herself as she continues on. She peeks into each room as she goes, some having similar scenes while others simply have old crates or barrels in it. Using her qi to lighten herself she carefully heads up the decrepit stairs with nary a sound. The top floor has several smaller rooms flanking a long corridor with a single door at the end. Next to the door stands a rickety table, two teens playing cards and gambling a few coppers atop it. A loud slap resounds from the room at the end of the corridor.

“You fool, you led her here? Are you insane? You’re gonna get everyone killed! What were you even thinking, stealing from a cultivator?”

“I didn’t know. Please, boss, we need this. We’re not gonna survive if we don’t get more food.”

“We’re not gonna survive if she finds us! Go distract her or something, we’re leaving.”

“Wai-”

The young girl’s protests are cut off by a loud smack followed by a thud. Gao Mu’s fingers clench into fists at the sound. Ignoring the two goons’ protests she runs straight past the table and slams the door open with a kick.

In the center of the room stands a woman in her late teens. She has a scowl on her face beneath her uneven pixie cut. Lean muscles are visible on exposed arms, her upper body covered by a rough sleeveless leather vest with fur ringing the neck and arm holes. Slick black pants patched up with various pieces of cloth run down her legs, ending in straw sandals impatiently tapping the floor. Pressed against a wall to the side lies the young thief clutching her side. With her laying still Gao Mu can see she seems no older than ten. Terrified eyes look up from a gaunt face topped with an unruly mop of black hair. Mu’s anger rises and she glares at the other woman.

“Let her go!”

“I dunno what’cher talkin’ about, miss cultivator. She’s free to go wherever her ass damn well pleases. Her choice to come back to this shitehole.” The woman shrugs as she leans back against the desk behind her, her movements a bit too stiff for the casual appearance she pretends to assume. Her two lackeys don't appear to notice, the one to Mu’s left crossing her arms and glaring menacingly.

“Then what about the children down below? You’re saying they’re choosing to be here too?”

“Ain’t got nowhere else to go, ‘less ya can magic em up a place dey’re here ta stay. ”

Mu’s jaw clenches. Her shoulders shake with barely restrained violence.

“Listen you harlo-”

She’s interrupted as the woman leans forwards, placing one hand on her knee.

“No, you listen ‘ere lil miss cultivator. Ya dun’ just barge into here like ya own the place and start barking out orders. Sure ya ken be stronger than I’ll ever fookin be but that don’ mean crap around here. Ya think ya ken take all a us down? You tear my throat out and ya ken be darn sure you’ll git shanked in the back. Then if, IF ya ken sumhow off all a' us without bleedin' oot like a stuck pig, d'ya rekken it'll be over? Ya don't tear the underground’s rep a new one and get off scot free. Y'll be spending the rest of yer life looking over yer shoulder, hoping our bosses dun come for ya.”

“Hmph, my master’s much much stronger! I’m not afraid of you!”

“You gon’ bother 'em for somethin’ like this?”

Gao Mu flinches. ‘That’s right!’ She thinks ‘master said she has important matters to attend to, I can't interrupt her. I need to solve this myself and then i’ll complete my mission.’

The teen raises her hands to the sides one at a time as she speaks.

“Now unless yer willin’ ta walk away we’ve got two ways out of this. Either ya beat the shite outa me and mine and end up gettin’ shanked by some thug in an alley or… We could have us a little duel. You win, the girl and money are yours to deal with, hells, i’ll even do whatever ya say. I win, the pouch is mine. What d’ya say?”

Mu drops into a fighting stance the moment those words leave the woman’s lips. 

“Come at me, this Gao Mu won’t lose!”

“Whoa whoa whoa, hol’ up there girlie. I didn’ mean a fight, didn’t ah just explain how ah know ya could beat the crud outta me? We do things a, shall we say, lil differently ‘round here.”

She loosens a button and pulls down on her vest to give Mu an eyeful of cleavage.

“Ye ken still back out if ya want. I know ya cultivators value your propriety and whatnot, no need to play with little ol' Zhi. Look, I'll even be nice and give yer pouch back, just turn around and go.”

Mu swallows. She hesitates for a second. Isn’t the most important part getting master’s money back? Rationally she feels she should take the offer and leave, yet… She recalls the terrified look in the girl’s eyes. Can she really just forget this? But… But… She knows full well she has little experience in such matters, much less win will she even know what to do? 

“To follow in my footsteps is to let go of mortal needs, do not let yourself be dragged down by the material.”

Her eyes widen as she recalls her master’s words. How could she have forgotten? The heavens have sent a trial her way and Gao Mu swears she will not fail it! She looks her opponent in the eye and tosses her clothes to the side.

“I accept your challenge, Zhi!”

Zhi gulps. Her attempt to bluff has backfired drastically. At least the others probably aren't gonna die, she chuckles. With a quick gesture she bids her lackeys to leave the room and close the door. Knowing she is fully committed now she starts as she always has. She strikes first and she strikes hard.

Mu tenses when the woman places both of her palms against her cheeks and kisses her. Once their lips touch she feels the woman clumsily move her tongue over their lips. Both back off as their noses ram into each other.

"That's not fair! You're still wearing your clothes!"

"Life ain't fair hun, ya either deal with it or get dealt with."

Mu bristles, the moment of hesitation costing her. Zhi goes on the attack once more, tilting her head a bit more this time. She presses down hard on Mu's lips. The pugilist's spine arches as her head is forced back. She fumbles with the buttons on Zhi's vest, desperately trying to retaliate. The smells of leather and dirt waft out as she manages to pull the vest open. Zhi recoils instinctively, breaking their kiss and stepping back.

From the vest pop two moderately sized perky breasts. Light pink areolas surround two slightly chafed nipples. Exposed to the cold air they start to harden drawing Gao Mu’s eyes to them. Her gaze lowers, passing over the slender torso that shows a hint of ribs down to her bruised stomach. Zhi snarls as she sees Gao’s looks freeze on the heavy scarring on her waist and sides. Mistaking admiration and wonder for disgust she lashes out.

“Stop fookin’ staring! Ya think i don’ know ma skin ain’t as smooth and pretty as yers? Some of us gotta fight for every fookin scrap. Just take yer stuff and fookin’ go if it freaks ya out.”

‘She thinks my skin is pretty!’ Gao blushes fiercely, the corners of her lips curling up at the praise. Her curiosity has been piqued, this woman she estimates to be around her own age has so many scars, some barely healed while others look far older. A record of battles fought stretching back over a decade. Mu gathers her determination. So what if she is less experienced? Gao Mu swears she will push through! If her experience is lacking she will simply put in twice, no, three times the effort!

Their eyes meet and Mu confidently takes a step, the intense look on her face prompting Zhi to take one backwards. ‘Come on, Gao Mu. Remember how Master did it.’

Zhi yelps as her nipple is flicked.

“Oy be careful!”

Mu mouths a quick sorry before hers closes around Zhi’s. Remembering the way her opponent moved she drives her tongue in between her lips. She watches for her partner's reactions and intensifies her efforts on the spots Zhi feels the most. Breathing in through her nose during the brief moments Zhi’s counterattack falters, Mu greedily pulls Qi into her lungs. She pushes her hands beneath the vest and runs them down Zhi’s pale sides, trying and failing to push Qi out through her fingertips as she runs them down the tapestry of lines adorning Zhi’s flanks. Her body twitches when Zhi places her palms over her petite bossom. She hurriedly rolls them over Mu’s stiff nubs in response to the latter’s fingers reaching ever lower. 

Teasing her way past the waistband Mu moves one hand to the back. She gropes Zhi's toned rear with it, moving her other hand to the front. Zhi wobbles as the fingers near her privates, she loses her balance for the briefest moment and falls back with her rear against the desk.

Stuck between hard wood and soft flesh she can feel Gao Mu’s every move; The panting in her ears filling her with satisfaction. The petite breasts rubbing their nipples over her own letting her feel Mu’s warm body tremble. The slender hand groping her rear passionately providing all the reassurance she needs that she is desired and finally, the thin fingers on her slit sliding back and forth making her moan ever harder. Her tight pants make every one of Gao Mu’s strokes grind her palm against Zhi’s swollen clit. Zhi feels heat build within her. Despite her impending loss she can not help but smile contentedly. How long has it been since she’d felt wanted, she wonders. Her breath comes in short gasps and her toes begin to curl as she approaches her limit. Suddenly she feels something pour inside her. Something ethereal flooding through her like a hot wind, filling her every pore with pure pleasure.

She screams in exhilaration as her legs give out under her. Held up only by Mu’s fingers her mind fixates on the sensation. Her shoulders hunch and she clutches her arms around Mu like it’s her only lifeline. She bites down hard on Mu’s shoulder to muffle her screams as her vision turns spotty. Her head spins. She feels every single impression on Mu’s fingers as they withdraw from her nethers. With a low whine she slides down and collapses on the floor with her back pressed against the desk.

Gao Mu awkwardly twirls her fingers.

“This… this means I win right?”

A soft groan is the only reply she receives. She awkwardly puts her clothes back on while waiting for her opponent to gain lucidity.

Hearing a deep breath she turns back towards her beaten foe. Zhi pushes herself up shakily and glances warily to the side.  The young girl had stood up from where she’d been sitting at the edge of the room and moved over to the desk. Grabbing the pouch she skips over to Mu and bows.

“You won, Elder Sister. This lowly one’s name is An. It is truly a pleasure to make your acquaintance. This one swears to serve you faithfully.”

“Huh?”

“You have won the wager, Venerable Gao. I’m deeply thankful you’ve freed me. As thanks, this lowly one will gratefully be at your beck and call.” She raises her head and looks up at Mu with wide eyes. “You… you’re not gonna abandon An too, are you?”

Mu gulps. Focused on An she completely misses the hurt look flashing across Zhi’s face at those words. 

“No! Of course not.”

“Thank you, master. Let’s go then, an esteemed warrior such as yourself need not remain in such a hovel for even a second longer.”

“No.”

An inkling of an idea takes form within Gao’s mind. She points at Zhi with a smile.

“You said you’d do whatever I say if I won, right?”

“W-what d’ya want?”

Taking out the list she hands it to Zhi. 

“I need to find everything on this. Zhi, ask your people which they know and help me locate them. I should have enough to buy all of it. An, show me to the market. We can’t work on an empty stomach, let’s cook everyone a meal!”

“A’right, we’re even after this.”

“Yes, boss. I know all the best vendors, leave it to this lowly An.”

With a shove Zhi pushes herself off the desk. Her first step comes off shaky, her second trembling slightly and from her third on she moves with confidence bordering on arrogance. 

“Lanky, go git Cricket and git da fook back here. Horseface, go scope out ol’ Luwei’s shack, check if the ol’ codger’s still got a stash o’ Firegrass.”

“Boss, are you okay? We heard screaming and...”

Zhi slams her palm down on the table hard enough to break off a chunk.

“Da fook are y’all waiting for?”

The two scamper off, skidding across the floor as if it were made of burning coal. Before long the entire house is abuzz, people streaming in and out like the smoke billowing out from the now lit hearth while a hearty scent wafts out through the cracks.

43